PDA

View Full Version : Never open again

The Bald Ewok
10-17-2001, 05:52 PM
Ok I think I have the number 1 excuse as to why you should never ever open up your figures.....because its so darn hard trying to figure who had what weapons!! I spent 3 hours trying to figure out weapons for some of the POTF2 figures...and it definately wasnt any fun!

Mandalorian Candidat
10-17-2001, 06:18 PM
SSG is a great resource for figuring out which weapon/accessory goes with which figure. Just go to the Picture Archive and match them up. SSG may even have a picture of the mail-away poster of all the POTF2 figures which should be pictured with their respective accessories.

master jedi
10-17-2001, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by The Bald Ewok
Ok I think I have the number 1 excuse as to why you should never ever open up your figures.....because its so darn hard trying to figure who had what weapons!!

The #1 excuse in my book is that the figures will be worth more if you keep them in the package.

Lobito
10-17-2001, 08:49 PM
The only excuse i found is that i have no more room to display the figures...so they keep in the card until i found an empty spot.:D

bigbarada
10-17-2001, 09:48 PM
I wish I had the self-control to actually keep the figures in their packaging. I can't even keep vintage figures MOC for more that a few minutes. People think I'm crazy for paying $100 for a mint on Droids card A-Wing Pilot then opening him up within 15 minutes of unpacking him.

The Bald Ewok
10-17-2001, 09:53 PM
Oh believe me Madalorian Candidat if it wasnt for SSG I would be up the creek!! That was the only true way that I could figure who had what. I tried using the cards (or backing which ever you prefer) to figure what weapon went with who. Well, after going through every figure and realizing that I still had 6 left that wasnt on the cards. Then I decided to go to SSG and recheck them all. So thank you SirSteve, whoever you are!!!

evenflow
10-18-2001, 09:12 AM
BigBarada, i thought i was bad. I guess i have more self-control than i thought. I usuallyonly opne the figures I really like now, not enough room anymore.

JEDIpartner
10-18-2001, 09:13 AM
My number one excuse for opening up my figures is...

I never had any intention of selling these once I got them, so who cares what the value is???

I'm gonna have to die first before these figures are either sold, thrown away or given away. The point of collecting is to enjoy them... not to consider the alleged "value" they will have on the market years from now. I bought the figure because I wanted it- let someone else do the selling. That's all I have to say about that. :o

Mandalorian Candidat
10-18-2001, 12:59 PM
So, are you saying that because a collector doesn't open his stuff that means he doesn't truly enjoy them or is planning on selling them in the future?

master jedi
10-18-2001, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I wish I had the self-control to actually keep the figures in their packaging. I can't even keep vintage figures MOC for more that a few minutes. People think I'm crazy for paying $100 for a mint on Droids card A-Wing Pilot then opening him up within 15 minutes of unpacking him.

Are you serious!?! If I ever saw someone do this in person I don't know what I'd do.

hairless chewie
10-19-2001, 05:15 AM
The only reason that I haven't opened all my stuff is because there is no room to put it all!!! Plus it stores better in the package when you have to move every three years. But as soon as I get a bigger place, it's RIPPIN time!!! :D

stillakid
10-19-2001, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
So, are you saying that because a collector doesn't open his stuff that means he doesn't truly enjoy them or is planning on selling them in the future?

I think that is the general feeling. What's the point of a toy if it's trapped in a box forever? Didn't you see Toy Story 2? All that nonsense about the MOMC version 2.01 blah blah blah only matters if there are "value" questions. Maybe I'm wayyyy off base, and I'm sure someone out there will let me know, but I can't see the point of keeping stuff in their boxes or on cards unless there is the intention of making a profit later on down the road.

Ready, aim...:cool:

bigbarada
10-19-2001, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
Are you serious!?! If I ever saw someone do this in person I don't know what I'd do.

Yep, serious as a heart attack. Recent vintage carded figures I've opened up include:
Droids A-Wing Pilot
POTF Warok, Romba and Paploo
ROTJ Rancor Keeper, Admiral Ackbar, Lumat, Bib Fortuna, Luke Jedi
ESB TIE Fighter Pilot, AT-AT Driver
SW Boba Fett (on a REALLLLY crappy card, not even C-1. I'm not that crazy!)

I'm with stillakid and JEDIpartner, why collect the stuff if you can't play with it? Besides, constantly worrying about storage, lighting, yellowing bubbles, etc. doesn't sound like too much of a relaxing hobby in my mind. What's the point if it just adds to the stresses of life?

GNT
10-19-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

If he truly doesnt' enjoy them his in the wrong hobby,I think the main reason is most people think that the new stuff is going to be valuable and thats why they come up with stupid excuses like "I like the way they look on the card" or "I'd loose the weapons if I opened them"

The Bald Ewok
10-20-2001, 08:09 AM
Believe me I have no intention of ever selling my figs!! A friend of mine always teases me about not opening them. But hey, honestly, I do have a hard time keeping thinks like that together. And a figure missing a weapon or something just would feel incomplete and I cant let that happen!

sith_killer_99
10-20-2001, 08:13 PM
Now here is a subject that will never die!

Carded
vs
Loose
vs
Variation

Collecting is collecting! It really dosen't matter what your prefrence is, we are all collectors here.

I just get annoyed when the rookies show up asking about the "value" of a 1/2 circle FF Boba Fett on a .04 card!

Who cares!

If your in it for the money you should find another hobby!

If you like the way Hasbro displays the new ships in the box, or the new 300th Fett (Hasbro made him a virtual statue anyway), keep 'em boxed!

I like to collect Foreign card variations of my favorite figures! I like the cards! I've also traded with people in at least 7 different countries, some of whom have become friends of mine.

I also collect loose.

My vintage collecting habits include C-9 loose and Carded Bounty Hunters! (see my post under VINTAGE "collecting style").

bigbarada
10-20-2001, 08:17 PM
There is no 'right' way to collect. This is your hobby, as long as you are having fun then it's all good.

GNT
10-22-2001, 01:53 AM
There is no 'right' way to collect. This is your hobby, as long as you are having fun then it's all good.

And if you aint having fun,your in the wrong hobby :)

Starfig873
10-22-2001, 10:59 AM
GNTs right, Star Wars is all about stress and stress related heart attacks! :p

Anyway, about the weapons issue, when I get into something I REALLY get into it. I have all my weapons in a gallon ziplock bag *reinforced with tape at the bottom...dang lightsabers like to poke through*.

I can easily match all the weapons with all of my figures...I don't know why, I just can.

Although if I do get into a bind the Action Figure Archive helps alot too.

master jedi
10-22-2001, 05:32 PM

Yep, serious as a heart attack. Recent vintage carded figures I've opened up include:
Droids A-Wing Pilot
POTF Warok, Romba and Paploo
ROTJ Rancor Keeper, Admiral Ackbar, Lumat, Bib Fortuna, Luke Jedi
ESB TIE Fighter Pilot, AT-AT Driver
SW Boba Fett (on a REALLLLY crappy card, not even C-1. I'm not that crazy!)

Please, say no more. It hurts.

bigbarada
10-22-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
Please, say no more. It hurts.

Ahhhh, there's nothing quite as relaxing as blowing tons on money on Star Wars toys. (Money that should probably used to pay bills, but.....must......get......that.......extra.....Ch ewie!):D

GNT
10-23-2001, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Starfig873
GNTs right, Star Wars is all about stress and stress related heart attacks! :p

I can easily match all the weapons with all of my figures...I don't know why, I just can.

GNT is always right :) If all my weapons (95 and up) are put into a pile and mixed apart, I can tell which figure it goes easily,the force is strong with me :)

Starfig873
10-23-2001, 11:44 AM
What was that famous line? Oh...wait I think it was...

"Great kid! Don't get cocky..."

:D

Hee hee hee :p

Mandalorian Candidat
10-23-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by GNT

If he truly doesnt' enjoy them his in the wrong hobby,I think the main reason is most people think that the new stuff is going to be valuable and thats why they come up with stupid excuses like "I like the way they look on the card" or "I'd loose the weapons if I opened them"

Yeah, looks like we're going back to that good old debate of carded vs. loose collecting. Yes, the vast majority of my collection is still in the package and yes I'd rather get a non-tweaked card rather than one that is jacked up if I have a choice. I'm not going to even justify the whole "if you don't open it you don't enjoy it" argument. I enjoy (1) hunting around for the figures since many are very difficult to find, (2) finding the figures for the cheapest price possible, (3) displaying them packaged. I do open some up, but it's mainly just to give to my son if he wants one and doesn't have enough allowance for it and I really want to play around with him.

I have fun collecting and thoroughly enjoy it. If I leave them in the package, it doesn't detract from the experience for me at all. IMO it's all up to the individual. How can someone shove their opinion at another when it really is all subjective. Open them up or keep them sealed. It's all good.

master jedi
10-23-2001, 07:52 PM

Ahhhh, there's nothing quite as relaxing as blowing tons on money on Star Wars toys. (Money that should probably used to pay bills, but.....must......get......that.......extra.....Ch ewie!):D

Chest.....pains.....starting.....arm.....going.... .numb.....

Obi-Don
10-24-2001, 09:08 AM
I say what ever you like go with. I am one who can't wait to get home and rip them open. There is something about being able to hold them in your hand that makes it more real to me.I don't care about future value because they are too valuable to me to ever think about selling them anyway.

stillakid
10-24-2001, 09:24 AM
It looks pretty funny displaying them while still in packages. Kind of like a bunch of boys-in-the-plastic-bubble.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
It looks pretty funny displaying them while still in packages. Kind of like a bunch of boys-in-the-plastic-bubble.

"No, I'm sorry. The answer is Moops."

Try to figure out that bubbleboy reference.

Richuar
10-25-2001, 06:05 PM
I always open everything up how else are they going to be able to breathe?
Don't tell me my little friends aren't alive, I know they come to life when I'm asleep and one day I'll catch them running about in my lounge, why just the other day I went in there in the morning and found Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen on the floor infront of my Ikea shelving entwined in a tender embrace. Of course they'd stopped actually moving by the time I got in there,but I've seen Toy Story! I know!

Wooooof
10-25-2001, 06:11 PM
I once had a nightmare that all my SW figures saw me as a ruthless tyrant and were plotting to kill me. I had them all displayed next to my bed and when I rolled over and saw them they were all just staring at me! It creeped me out pretty bad, so I locked them up in my C-3P0 case and never let them out. Try to stage a coup in my house, eh? Well rot in eternal solitu....oh sorry, is this thing on?

GNT
10-26-2001, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
I once had a nightmare that all my SW figures saw me as a ruthless tyrant and were plotting to kill me. I had them all displayed next to my bed and when I rolled over and saw them they were all just staring at me! It creeped me out pretty bad, so I locked them up in my C-3P0 case and never let them out. Try to stage a coup in my house, eh? Well rot in eternal solitu....oh sorry, is this thing on?

Thats what you get when you open your toys :) :D :rolleyes:

Starfig873
10-26-2001, 11:23 AM
I still like having mine open. ONE problem came along though. My Death Star Droid's paint started to slowly chip away...so I had to ziplock bag him to prevent anymore paint from getting knicked away at.

The rest of my figures seem to survive being in a rubber made container though :D

Dark Knight
11-21-2001, 06:16 PM
My walls are full of peg boards and hooks with figures hanging. I can't forced myself to open the figures. I cann't open them even for my dioramas. I have to buy loose figures for them.

It's H#ll!!!!

ChronicJedi
11-22-2001, 09:37 PM
I think the main reason is most people think that the new stuff is going to be valuable and thats why they come up with stupid excuses like "I like the way they look on the card" or "I'd lose the weapons if I opened them"

Not that I particularly care too much, I just want to sound off on this one. OK, so it bothers me... I am really tired of being made to feel like I am some kind of profit seeker (scalper) because I keep my figs carded. Y'know GNT I really do "like the way they look on the card" It IS NOT some stupid excuse. In fact, I'd like to know why is that a "stupid excuse"? Is it stupid because you feel differently about your toys and those who don't share your views about THEIR toys must have another motive for collecting, such as profit. I COLLECT Star Wars toys purely because of my deep love and connection to the movies since I was a child. I DO NOT COLLECT FOR PROFIT. I'm sure I have spent way more than I could ever even hope to make back. Guess what? I DON'T CARE! I truly enjoy every aspect of this hobby. Anyone who takes this hobby seriously knows that anything made in the last 6 or 7 years isn't exactly in short supply (with some obvious exceptions) So anyone who thinks they're going to put their kids through college with their Episode 1 action figure collection in 20 years is an unrealistic idiot.

Personally, I can't "play" with my toys anymore. It's just not the same as it was some 17 years ago. I also do not have close to enough space to properly display opened figures. It's much easier for me to buy and store my figures right away. I don't care if the card is perfect or if the bubble yellows. At least this way the paint stays intact, the joints don't get loose, you don't lose the accessories etc etc etc. So if I ever manage to secure the kind of space I want to properly display my figures I can open them. Just try not to convince yourself that because others enjoy yhe same hobby a little differently that you are a "true fan" and they are not. I don't collect ANY other toys. NONE. If I was looking for profit down the road I'm sure I'd be buying many other things like...

McFarlane
Hot Wheels
Transformers
GI Joe
Digimon
Barbie
Harry Potter

...and so on.

The Bald Ewok
11-22-2001, 10:40 PM
Its so amazing how this thread just took off!! Its cool getting all the feedback from all of you! Its so funny, because when I origanaly posted, it was out of fun and some frustration. All I know, is that now, I have a much easier time keeping things together since I dont open things anymore! Oh, and I have another number one excuse as to why I shouldnt open my figs now...because my daugher can crawl, and star wars are now becoming tasty treats!!

Peace!

GNT
11-23-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ChronicJedi
I am really tired of being made to feel like I am some kind of profit seeker (scalper) because I keep my figs carded. Y'know GNT I really do "like the way they look on the card" It IS NOT some stupid excuse. In fact, I'd like to know why is that a "stupid excuse"? Is it stupid because you feel differently about your toys and those who don't share your views about THEIR toys must have another motive for collecting, such as profit. I COLLECT Star Wars toys purely because of my deep love and connection to the movies since I was a child. I DO NOT COLLECT FOR PROFIT. I'm sure I have spent way more than I could ever even hope to make back. Guess what? I DON'T CARE! I truly enjoy every aspect of this hobby. Anyone who takes this hobby seriously knows that anything made in the last 6 or 7 years isn't exactly in short supply (with some obvious exceptions) So anyone who thinks they're going to put their kids through college with their Episode 1 action figure collection in 20 years is an unrealistic idiot.

I wasn't aimimg my response at you directly :) but when people post "I'd lose the weapons if I opened them", I really think thats a stupid reason to come up with to keep them carded. If you enjoy keeping them carded then so be it, I don't care.

ChronicJedi
11-23-2001, 12:46 AM
Hey, no hard feelings, I don't really care either. Like I said though, I'm tired of the broad generalization made by "openers" that all "carded" collectors are just in it for profit. I'm sure a lot are, but not me. It's not the first time this has come up nor will it be the last. All I'm saying is have fun. That's what we're in this for anyway, right!?

The Bald Ewok
11-23-2001, 06:34 AM
I'd lose the weapons if I opened them them

But its true!! at least for me!

zachatack
11-25-2001, 07:39 PM
Just to add my two cents (or $6.99, depending on where you shop). I had everything mint on card for years, and it was so much hassle to maintain that fresh "mint-y" feeling. Sure people would stand in awe when they walked into my house, and the next question without pausing would be, "Well, when are you going to open them?" And I was just going to keep them FOREVER in package because that's just what you're supposed to do. And then something really happened to me...I got a health scare...a big one. (I'm am so fine now, thankfully). But there's nothing like a health scare to make you realize, "What the hell am I doing?" I wanted to play and display my figures, but I just kept them sealed and away from light like a gremlin. After many years, I had an opening ceremony, and absolutely love those figures. Life is just too freaking short to worry about a .01 or a .02. Sure I would be rolling in dough if I kept all those vintage figures carded and tucked away, but you can't take them with you, so just enjoy them.

Zach

stillakid
11-25-2001, 08:10 PM
I had my Micromachines all nice and carded for awhile until lack of space decided their fate. It was a bloodbath that day. Well, really a plastic-fest, but all of these toys are appreciated much more by everyone when they can pick 'em up and walk them around.

GNT
11-27-2001, 03:34 AM
But its true!! at least for me!

Why dont you buy a crate (with a lid) and put them in it? That why you wont lose them :)

Wolfwood319
11-28-2001, 12:30 AM
Its funny when you say that GNT.

Since I started collecting I've opened up pretty much every new thing I got with a few exceptions. And all the carded vintage stuff was hanging on my wall in my room.

Yet, this weekend I'm moving out and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to transport all my loose stuff. Im not going to "throw it all in a box" like my girlfriend suggested, but I don't want to spend a lot of money to make sure that my loose stuff doesn't get damaged.

Oh how I wish they were still carded now. Everything would be a whole lot easier...:cry:

stillakid
11-28-2001, 02:04 PM
I use those plastic stacking shelf things to store my loose items. You can find them at Target for around $20 bucks. They come with either 4 clear thin drawers or 2 thins and 1 larger drawer on the bottom. I use the thin drawers primarily for the action figures, standing them up in single file rows divided by cardboard. The big drawers are useful for larger things like E-Web cannons and Tauntauns. All of my ships and playsets are "stored" in their original boxes so the eventual "moving pack" will be fairly easy to do.

Darkross
12-11-2001, 10:30 AM
Believe me I have no intention of ever selling my figs!! A friend of mine always teases me about not opening them. But hey, honestly, I do have a hard time keeping thinks like that together. And a figure missing a weapon or something just would feel incomplete and I cant let that happen!

I know what you mean...I open all my figures...and when I moved my collection around...I thought I lost a SnowTrooper's blaster and my heart sunk! Fortunately it turned up.

I repackage all of my figs into ZipLock bags so I won't lose anything. I grouped all weapons (Imperial / Bounty Hunter) and (Rebel) together and did the same thing with the figures. Once all the figures are in their bags...I place them in yet another bigger bag...and then I box them and clearly mark the box "STAR WARS - STUFF" I also keep all of the cards / force files etc... after I have opened the figures.

In my entire inventory...I only have one item I have never opened and that is a Tie Interceptor. I bought two of them when they came out...and I only have enough room to display one. The same thing will be true about the Tie Bombers when they come out. I plan on purchasing two of them...one of which will probably remain in the box.

Jargo
12-18-2001, 02:17 PM
When I started my collection I didn't take it very seriously and I opened everything and smoked 'cigarettes' around it all to the point that I ended up with an orange Grand Moff Tarkin and a few brown stormtroopers. It shocked me to find that my figures were ruined so I went out and bought everything anew and kept it carded. Then I stopped smoking in the house and banned smoking for everyone else. Then I ran out of room and got fed up of reshuffling all the cards to make them sit right and every time a new one got added redoing the display.......

I had an opening fest and tore open all those exclusives and rarities like the pit droid pack-in figures and the holo sidious and wotnot. I loved it and I love my figures loose to pick up and move around in little scenes. I usually have a couple with me when I type my posts here. I opened all three of my Eopies and every vehicle. Both interceptors, both y-wings and both skiffs. Nothing stays packaged but my second royal starship which will be sold one day when someone desperately wants one. :) but I really can't concieve of keeping figures carded unless you want a toy museum. To keep them carded and store them in big boxes in a closet is just lunacy IMO. Why collect? For the sake of it? For the prestige of having everything that someone else wants and can't find? To crow about it on a website and try to impress by getting your collection showcased on the official Hasbro site?
I lost a scout trooper gun the other week. My dog ate it after it fell out of the holster onto the floor while I was playing with the trooper and typing a post here. I got a bit upset and scolded my dog then had a rethink and ordered six dirty scout troopers to ease the pain. It's only a gun. They're only plastic chunks of junk. There are more important things to worry about than who has what weapon. They were designed to be interchangeable and most characters didn't have weapons in the movies anyway. I chuck most of the accessories into a big box under the bed and forget about them. Sometimes I buy figures for the accessories not the figure itself. In those instances the figures get chucked into the big box under the bed and forgotten about.
My personal take on this is that people who keep their figures carded have forgotten how to believe. Forgotten what it feels like to use their imagination. Forgotten how to play. I think these people will die early from stress and dullness. :):p ;) :crazed:

Turbowars
12-22-2001, 06:21 PM
"Why I will never open a figure again" I opened a few of my figures back in 96 and I have to say these are crappy toys. The paint is bad, articulation is horrible and what the hell is a 26 year old going to do with 500+ opened figures! Don't get me wrong I love all 500+ figures to death (Jar Jar being an acception) and hope to never part with them. I think the packaging is added appeal of the Star Wars toy line, Freeze Frame line was the best by far. I think they look best in package and having poor articulation is ok in the sense of a collector, but on the other hand the playability is poor for children. Hasbro knows that their Star Wars line is mostly consumed by adults so the playability for the most part has been thrown out the window. I collect for a hobby and never have or will worry about the value. Only worry how I'm going to afford my next find that I can't pass up!

Obi-Don
12-24-2001, 07:43 AM
I know there are a lot of you that don't open but for me I must.It brings back so many memories of when I was a kid.Put the lightsaber in the hands or the gun.Being able to touch them and hold them.[I'm not a strange person] I as a kid did not have many star wars figures and the ships,but always wanted them.Now that I older[so much older]I can realize some of those wants.The figures and ships that I have now will never be worth more to anyone than they are to me. So if you feel the same way.I say open and enjoy.

Darkross
12-24-2001, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
I know there are a lot of you that don't open but for me I must.It brings back so many memories of when I was a kid.Put the lightsaber in the hands or the gun.Being able to touch them and hold them.[I'm not a strange person] I as a kid did not have many star wars figures and the ships,but always wanted them.Now that I older[so much older]I can realize some of those wants.The figures and ships that I have now will never be worth more to anyone than they are to me. So if you feel the same way.I say open and enjoy.

I agree with you 100%. This is exactly how I feel about my collection....I too only had a few figures (10) and three vehicles (AT-ST, Speederbike...and a used x-wing that was missing the canopy and one turret). This is the driving force behind my desire to collect...is to relive a childhood where I wished I had a larger collection...and having the vehicles too! Now, I use all of my spending money for Star Wars: Classic Trilogy stuff. I can hardly wait for the Tie Bombers and Snowspeeders to come out. I would really like to get 2 Ties and 3 Speeders...but we will ultimately see what I can find at Wal-Mart when the do come out in March! I only hope that Hasbro releases Luke's crashed X-wing also...and a re-sculpted Tie Fighter! Let's not forget about the Shuttle that everyone in the world is waiting for. My only fear about this one...is that Toys 'R' Us has had the Tie Interceptors and the AT-ST exclusives...Wal-Mart has had the Tie Bombers and Snowspeeder exclusives...so Target is due for a couple of exclusives (i.e. Shuttle and crashed X-Wing). The nearest Target is 300 miles away from where I live...so I'm keeping my hopes up that a Target will get built in Bangor, ME!

SithDroid
01-12-2002, 02:31 PM
I usually buy two of each, one to open to play with or do whatever I want with and another to keep in the packaging and collect. As far as getting the weapons mixed up, it is always a good way to see who had what if you have one of each still in the package, that way you know what they all had. SSG picture archive is a great place to look at also.

LusiferSam
02-05-2002, 12:09 PM
The reason I open my figures, they're toys! What fun is a toy in a box or on a card?