PDA

View Full Version : Anybody read Archie comics?

JediTricks
08-08-2002, 01:31 AM
Archie Andrews, America's favorite teenager, celebrates 60 years of having a beat-up jalopy, 2 best girls, and orange hair with a pound sign "#" in it. :D Seriously though, Archie turns 60 this year and I am just in shock, it seems almost impossible that these characters have been around that long. I've read Archie comics all my life, and my parents have too so I guess it's not that surprising, but it still seems like it's impossile that these characters have been around so long. Archie's jalopy hasn't changed all that much (ok, except for when he has the Mustang ;)) and his relationship problems haven't gotten much better, his pals haven't changed much and his parents are still fairly supportive. Perhaps this lack of change is what makes the comics so great, I've got hundreds of Archie Digests (I refuse to buy the full-size comics anymore because they seem like a total waste of money) and I can read a story from a few months ago and it usually seems in step with stories from the '60s (you Archie fans remember the '60s, it's when Jughead's fashion sense didn't seem so odd :D). I dunno, it just seems relaxing in today's crazy world to read something fun yet harmless, where Riverdale never has major disasters & death tolls.

So, anybody here besides me read Archie comics?

Exhaust Port
08-08-2002, 11:17 AM
Not since I was a kid and relatives would buy my brother and I some of those digests to read on the road. I can't remember anything about them but they did keep us entertained and out of the parents hair.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-08-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Archie Andrews, America's favorite teenager, celebrates 60 years of having a beat-up jalopy, 2 best girls, and orange hair with a pound sign "#" in it. :D Seriously though, Archie turns 60 this year and I am just in shock, it seems almost impossible that these characters have been around that long. I've read Archie comics all my life, and my parents have too so I guess it's not that surprising, but it still seems like it's impossile that these characters have been around so long. Archie's jalopy hasn't changed all that much (ok, except for when he has the Mustang ;)) and his relationship problems haven't gotten much better, his pals haven't changed much and his parents are still fairly supportive. Perhaps this lack of change is what makes the comics so great, I've got hundreds of Archie Digests (I refuse to buy the full-size comics anymore because they seem like a total waste of money) and I can read a story from a few months ago and it usually seems in step with stories from the '60s (you Archie fans remember the '60s, it's when Jughead's fashion sense didn't seem so odd :D). I dunno, it just seems relaxing in today's crazy world to read something fun yet harmless, where Riverdale never has major disasters & death tolls.

So, anybody here besides me read Archie comics?

JT, I've read a few Archie comics during my younger days. I too collected the digest version only, even though I did collect comic books for the longest time.

I estimate that I have about 50-60 of the digest comics. The good thing about those is that you got stories from the 60's and 70's even though they were published in the 90's. It's funny reading the dialogue from those days "nifty" "swell" and "groovy." Also funny seeing the gang dress up in bell bottoms. I got a bunch of them laying around my basement that my mom has tried to throw out, but I won't let her. I bust them out of their box every now and then, especially around Christmas. Those were my favorite ones. I have stopped buying Archie comics now, except during the holidays. I always buy the Christmas ones to this day, even though I have a lot of repeated stories.

My favorite characters are Sabrina, Moose, and Jughead.

(Grabs his Jughead comic) Now, I'm going to pinch a loaf. When I get back this all get's cleaned up, right? (Leaves for the john)

Ahhh, what memories.

:)

Lord Malakite
08-08-2002, 11:22 AM
I used to read the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" comics that Archie Comics used to do, but not Archie himself. Those comics were actually quite good. Mass suicides, murders, blood, rotting corpses, loss of limbs & other body parts, dirty jokes, drugs, intimate relations (like a Soap), etc., included in each edition. Certainly more dark and adult oriented than the cartoon or live action show they had on CBS and FOX. ;)

scruffziller
08-08-2002, 11:27 AM
yea I read the Christian ones.

JediTricks
08-08-2002, 03:26 PM
I recently uncovered over 100 digests in my apt, so there's plenty of reading fun for me over the next few months. :D I love the outfits they give the gang in those '70s ones, they totally don't get the era so they dress them like hippies from the '60s - especially Jughead.

Malakite, I didn't know the Archie-brand TMNT was any good, I figured it would be super-watered-down and avoided it like the plague.

scruff, what Christian ones?

Lord Malakite
08-09-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Malakite, I didn't know the Archie-brand TMNT was any good, I figured it would be super-watered-down and avoided it like the plague.

Yeah, they were actually quite good. I could give you more specific details as to why they are good if you like, just as long as you don't mind the stories being spoiled.

Have ever played TMNT: Tournament Fighters on the Super Nintendo? Thats actually where a few of the fighters originally came from. If you find any cheap, I'd suggest picking them up. Just avoid the crappy, cartoony looking, special editions.

Capitan_Moroni
08-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Wasent there a Simpsons where Homer tried to hang out with the Archie gang? I think theres a part in that episode where they throw him from the jolopy and say somthing to the affect of "Stay out of Riverdale!" Or am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned?

Lord Malakite
08-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
Wasent there a Simpsons where Homer tried to hang out with the Archie gang? I think theres a part in that episode where they throw him from the jolopy and say somthing to the affect of "Stay out of Riverdale!" Or am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned?

That happened, I just can't remember what the episode was called though.

DarthBrandon
08-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Oh! Man! Did I ever. I read so many Archie comics when I was a kid, that some people may have called me a junkie. Those were the days, Archie comics and S.W. toys, I couldn't have asked for a better childhood.:D

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Yeah, they were actually quite good. I could give you more specific details as to why they are good if you like, just as long as you don't mind the stories being spoiled.

Have ever played TMNT: Tournament Fighters on the Super Nintendo? Thats actually where a few of the fighters originally came from. If you find any cheap, I'd suggest picking them up. Just avoid the crappy, cartoony looking, special editions. Spoil away!

I haven't played that one, didn't even know it existed.

Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
Wasent there a Simpsons where Homer tried to hang out with the Archie gang? I think theres a part in that episode where they throw him from the jolopy and say somthing to the affect of "Stay out of Riverdale!" Or am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned? That's the episode where Sideshow Bob becomes mayor. First we see Homer reading Archie comics, later we see Homer getting dumped out the back of the jalopy by Big Moose who yells "... Duh! and stay out of Riverdale!"

Other simpsons refs to Archie was the "Itchy & Veronica" comic with Itchy and Veronica sharing a soda served in Archie's severed head. Also, a recent addition was when Springfield Elementary added Air Conditioning and they started seeing students come in that hadn't been there in a long time, the first one was a fairly crude version of the TV cartoon Jughead complete with "Sugar Sugar" playing in the background.

Exhaust Port
08-10-2002, 12:34 AM
Great Simpsons recall there JediTricks.

QLD
08-10-2002, 12:00 PM
I used to read Archie a lot as a kid. I would get the thick books of them, because you got a lot for the money. Heck, probably some of my earliest fantasies were of Betty and Veronica. :D

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I used to read Archie a lot as a kid. I would get the tick books of them, because you got a lot for the money. Heck, probably some of my earliest fantasies were of Betty and Veronica. :D

That's a little too much information QLD; I just had the most unpleasant vision when I read that.:D :)

QLD
08-11-2002, 02:46 AM
Brandon, You should have BEEN there......WOOOO!!!!

:D

TylerD
08-13-2002, 01:40 AM
I was REALLY into Archie and the gang before I met Star Wars in 1997. I have about 400 comics (both regular and digest versions, along with many of the earlier comics from the 50s and 60s that I found at flea markets). My first Archie comic: Jughead #81. I also bought a lot of other stuff related to Archie...Archie jam glasses from the 60s...Burger King Toys....even a Jughead Junior Shaver Kit.....LOL....Archie is great!

JediTricks
08-13-2002, 03:22 AM
Wow Tyler, that's a heck of an Archie collection! Did the special editions suppliment your Archie collection? :D

mabudonicus
08-13-2002, 03:20 PM
I don't read the comics, but....
I used to... I have a buddy who's nuts about them... sometimes I'll get a message on my machine that's my idiot buddy describing an "archie" cover, laughing uncontrollably..... kinda weird....
a buddy of mine's parents used to give out the Christian archies to christmas carollers, and the next day the streets would be littered with them.... when kids expect money or cookies, I guess archie just don't cut it......

TylerD
08-14-2002, 02:54 AM
Yes Jedi Tricks, it did...LOL...it stopped the Archie thing dead in it's tracks. Now everything is STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS.

LOL mabudon! I have most of the Christian comics. I can just imagine the street scene you described...LOL. Most of them were pretty lame, but I can't totally dis them, because they did send the RIGHT message to kids... for once...

Emperor Howdy
08-14-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Heck, probably some of my earliest fantasies were of Betty and Veronica. :D

:eek: Ok, now this has gone too far.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 12:12 AM
The SE's claimed another Archie fan!!! NOOOOOOOOOO! ;)

The one thing I'm really getting sick of about Archie is that they're thickly padding their digests with junk like Little Archie stories (really arcane ones too, none look like the ones I rememer from the Little Archie digests I ever looked at. Most of the Little Archie tales are extra cruel or poorly-written ripoffs of The Little Rascals/Our Gang shorts) or Archie's R/C Racers (a multi-issue advertisement for Kyosho remote control vehicles, really sleazeball). Back when I was a lad, digests would have one or two L'il Jinx & Katy Keene stores spread throughout instead of the entire sections that Little Archie now inhabits... sorry, just figured I'd spout off a bit about something that kept me from buying an Archie's Pals & Gals digest today.

TylerD
08-15-2002, 12:34 AM
I totally forgot about Lil Jinx and Katy Keene. I think that the Little Archie stories appear in at least one of all types of my digests (about 8 different types I think). In fact, Little Archie had his own digest whenever I was still collecting...Not sure if he still does.

I always used to love collecting the "weird" comics that were published by Archie, but did not have Archie in them, such as Mad House Comics, That Wilken Boy, and Josie and the *****cats. All done by the same artists and everything, so the characters looked like they were from Riverdale.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 03:00 AM
I haven't seen Little Archie digests since they started putting like 7 or 8 Little Archie stories in a row in regular digests to fill the middle of the books, but they did used to exist (and those had better art and stories too IMO, though they still weren't my bag).

That Wilken Boy stories are always such a hoot when they put it into various digests, both from the kooky writing AND the out-of-touch 70s designs -- poor Sam's dad (is that the right character, the girl was Sam and her dad was sick of "That Wilken Boy"?). Josie & the *****cats and Sabrina all actually DO live in Riverdale, though they rarely interacted with the Archie core gang (I remember one Josie where Alex Cabot III got chased around by Big Moose for some reason, and it looked like they just drew sunglasses on Reggie ;)). I always liked getting 1 or 2 of those stories in every digest, heck, even Katy Keene stories were more paletable to me than Little Archie. Never saw Mad House Comics though, but I bet it was better than those "Man From R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E." stories from the '60s ;).