PDA

View Full Version : Jango's name (and its inspiration)

TheFrankEinstein
08-08-2002, 04:18 AM
I just thought I'd point out to anyone who's obsessed with Papa Fett my belief that, at least his name, was inspired by an old "Spaghetti" western by the name of Django (pronounced the same way). Now, I know that sounds pretty thin, but when you think about it, Jango isn't anything more than a futuristic cowboy, being a bounty hunter, and carrying dual pistols in hip holsters like he does.

Django isn't all that Jango-ish, but it's a pretty good movie in its own right about an ex-Union soldier who drags around a mysterious coffin. It's available in a two DVD set (with the lame official Django sequel) from Anchor Bay. I say "official" sequel because the Django series had more than sixty unofficial sequels :stupid: .

Exhaust Port
08-08-2002, 10:49 AM
It wouldn't suprise me that your theory is correct. There are some pretty bizarre connections to names and their origins.

scruffziller
08-09-2002, 09:54 AM
I bet any money that is the case it sounds to obvious.

Darth Vellner
08-11-2002, 12:45 AM
Sounds good ........I heard some place that when Boba Fett walks around in the OT movies they added in the SOUND of Spurs on his boots (though he wears None!) like a cowboy has! {LIKE FATHER LIKE SON} So, Jango Fett being named after a cowboy movie (Django) sounds right.:Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :crazed:

DarthBrandon
08-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
I just thought I'd point out to anyone who's obsessed with Papa Fett my belief that, at least his name, was inspired by an old "Spaghetti" western by the name of Django (pronounced the same way). Now, I know that sounds pretty thin, but when you think about it, Jango isn't anything more than a futuristic cowboy, being a bounty hunter, and carrying dual pistols in hip holsters like he does.

Django isn't all that Jango-ish, but it's a pretty good movie in its own right about an ex-Union soldier who drags around a mysterious coffin. It's available in a two DVD set (with the lame official Django sequel) from Anchor Bay. I say "official" sequel because the Django series had more than sixty unofficial sequels :stupid: .

TheFrankEinstein , you could very well be correct, George takes his names and story material from other older films, from his childhood. :)

Jek Porky 2002
08-11-2002, 07:15 AM
I think it's completly right. Jango has allways reminded me of a cow-boy, the way he stands, the way he fights with two pistols, that look like little revolvers, and the way he lasoes his victims.

Any money that Django is his inspiration!

TheFrankEinstein
08-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Hopefully some Jango-obsessed fan'll check out Django, now. Just be mindful if you've got a weak stomach, Tarantino also took "inspiration" from it for the ear-cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs. Thanks, guys.

Freedom
08-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Well I've always said Clint Eastwood from "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" was the insparation for Han Solo. Look real close at his outfit.

Darth Marra 54
08-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Great job Thefrankeinstien Pretty cool observation as well as you Freedom

JetsAndHeels
08-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Jango a cowboy huh? I can see that.
Yee-Haaaa!!

Darth Vellner
08-16-2002, 02:22 PM
you...YOU!

you are J-j-j-JANGO FETT!!!

OOH MY GOD!!!
i guess you would know what you are!

TheFrankEinstein
08-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Wow, thanks for all the responses, guys. I didn't realize this thread was still alive.

I just watched Hang 'Em High (an American try at Spaghetti grit), and decided to come check this thread out. What really gets me is that George seems able to weave some of the coolest things in fiction (space aviation, cowboys, samurai, "psychic" powers, etc.) and they all blend smoothly into what is a seamless new world. Some other sci-fi has seemed kinda heavy-handed when they incorporate any alien (no pun intended) themes, but George is able to make them his own.

And that spurs thing sounds cool, Darth Vellner. I'll have to check it out with the sound up :sur: