PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Actors

Arrogant Arse
08-08-2002, 12:03 PM
I was wondering who everyone thought was an overrated actor/actress.

My list includes (sp?):
Michael Douglas
Dennis Quaid
Catherine Zeta Jones

Does anyone have any other Ideas

mabudonicus
08-08-2002, 12:10 PM
tommy lee jones.... deniro..... michelle pfeiffer....... sting..... kenny baker..... peter mayhew..... ben affleck...... any baldwin..... who's the old british guy who was in 'the game' that guy just stinks, also in silence of the lambs........ angelina jolie....... if i had no respect for the dead this would be way longer..... there's more here, too, but i'll wait and see

Mandalorian Candidat
08-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
I was wondering who everyone thought was an overrated actor/actress.

My list includes (sp?):
Michael Douglas
Dennis Quaid
Catherine Zeta Jones

Does anyone have any other Ideas

Wow, Dennis Quaid?! I would have never thought of that guy. I would not have picked him as overrated since he's hardly on the Hollywood scene.

I say Denzel (very full of himself) and, oh fudge, I can't even think of his name. The guy from Gladiator and Beautiful Mind. Also Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, perhaps Tom Hanks (but just a tad), and Antonio Banderas.

billfremore
08-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Kevin Costner

Will Smith

Julia Roberts

Russell Crowe

darthvyn
08-08-2002, 12:36 PM
all of them! all they do is pretend! didn't you do that when you were like, five years old? (and probably still do...)

this is more in terms of "cult of personality" stuff, than acting "talent." the american royals.

i think there are a lot of worth while actors and movies out there, but not at the height of popularity they achieve - so therefore, they are all overrated.

and russel crowe was in galdiator and beautiful mind. he WAS really good in L.A. confidential...

billfremore
08-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
and russel crowe was in galdiator and beautiful mind. he WAS really good in L.A. confidential...

Russel Crowe has never shown me anything to indicate that he's a good actor.

I'm still miffed that he won best actor for his "performance" in Gladiator.
Oooh a couple of soliliquays and yup, best actor fer shur.

As for what he did in L.A. Confidential... meh, I've seen better.

Pendo
08-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Russel Crowe,
Russel Crowe,
Russel Crowe,
Russel Crowe,
Russel Crowe,
Russel Crowe,
and... Russel Crowe.

PENDO!

stormie
08-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Vin Diesel seems to be getting all this hoopla about being "the next big action hero," when all the parts he's played have been these monosyllabic knuckle-dragging brutes. Can't stand the movies he's been in, nor the characters he's played. I just don't understand the appeal. I love a good action movie, but I have no desire to even rent this movie, let alone pay $9 at the theatre.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-08-2002, 01:18 PM
I just thought of another actor. Now, please, if you're going to hurt me just sneak up on me from behind and get it over with.
Harrison Ford

I think some of the stuff he's done is fantastic, i.e., SW, Indy, Regarding Henry, Fugitive, but I think he's degenerated into a sort of one-note, me against the world, aging action hero. His accent in K19 was totally laughable. I think some yes man/woman said it sounded great because he's a legend so he used it.

While I don't think he's a phony, I think he should sharpen up his acting chops by doing different roles instead of being the typecast action hero because he's not doing it as well as he used too.

**ducks for cover while multiple SSG members hurl skunk carcasses at him**

darthvyn
08-08-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by stormie
Vin Diesel seems to be getting all this hoopla about being "the next big action hero," when all the parts he's played have been these monosyllabbic knuckle-dragging brutes.

this seems redundant and repetitive...:p

yeah, i'm not at all impressed with him, but at least he's not trying to do shakespeare, or something... he's found his niche -

slack-jawed living stunt dummy

stormie
08-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I guess it is redundant to say monosyllabic brute action hero. But my main point was "the guy ain't gots no charisma." Even Arnold had a certain charm in his one-dimensional roles. There was always something to like about Stallone in [most] of the Rambo and Rocky movies. I've found nothing to like about Diesel, except for his name. In fact, the only thing going for him is his name. ;) :D

darthvyn
08-08-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by stormie
Yeah, I guess it is redundant to say monosyllabic brute action hero. But my main point was "the guy ain't gots no charisma." Even Arnold had a certain charm in his one-dimensional roles. There was always something to like about Stallone in [most] of the Rambo and Rocky movies. I've found nothing to like about Diesel, except for his name. In fact, the only thing going for him is his name. ;) :D

yeah, i can see that... it's not like he has an overbearing accent that can just keep being funny, or actual acting talent as shown by sly (copland...)

he's almost no dimensional.

and if his name were darthvyn diesel, it would be the perfect name...:crazed:

Jargo
08-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Schwarzeneger
Stallone
Pacino
Deniro
Mel Gibson
Harrison Ford
Keanu Reeves
Sean penn
Ewan McGregor
Hayden christensen
natalie portman
Susan sarandon
Jodie Foster
Rene Zelweger
Tom Hanks
Tom hanks
Tom Hanks
Tom hanks
Denzel Washington
Jeff daniels
John Malkovich
Glenn Close
Jeremy irons
Michael Douglas
Plus many many more coming to a cinema near you this fall.......

DarthBrandon
08-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Schwarzeneger
Stallone
Pacino
Deniro
Mel Gibson
Harrison Ford
Keanu Reeves
Sean penn
Ewan McGregor
Hayden christensen
natalie portman
Susan sarandon
Jodie Foster
Rene Zelweger
Tom Hanks
Tom hanks
Tom Hanks
Tom hanks
Denzel Washington
Jeff daniels
John Malkovich
Glenn Close
Jeremy irons
Michael Douglas
Plus many many more coming to a cinema near you this fall.......

I see you have Pacino, Deniro, Tom hanks, Denzel Washington and Harrison Ford on your list. I'm wondering now, who do you even like, I'm also surprised that Samuel L Jackson , Morgan Freeman, Jack Nicholson, and Anthony Hopkins didn't make your list of overrated actors/actresses. I think that the term overrated applies to actors or actresses that have been rated very high. Most of the ones on your list are just regular actors i.e. Irons, Douglas etc. The ones I've listed that you have on your list are exceptional actors, except for maybe Ford. Pacino and Deniro have done many movies all of high caliber, the same goes for Hanks and Washington, I'm just wondering why you think they are overrated and who do you think is an exceptional actor? I'm not trying to start a flame; I'm just wondering why the ones I've mentioned are one the list at all. Maybe some input as to why you consider these five I've mentioned as overrated actors.:)

Jargo
08-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Because they aren't actors. They play themselves on celluloid. What they get paid for is to look good in a suit or a bathing costume or a patina of dust and fake blood. They simply make a good photographic image that's all their talents extend to. It's not acting to play a good clothes horse. Pacino and deniro are good at scowling at people and shouting and that is essentially their acting period. harrison Ford scowls too but he does perplexed instead of shouting. He is wooden as they come. Ton Hanks I despise on many levels not just for his movie career alone. He's a crap actor who relies on having a rubbery face that is supposedly 'cute' to get him through a two hour show. He is a one trick pony and I'm bored of the same trick all the time.
Denzel just doesn't work very hard. he tries to get by on cool but he isn't and it doesn't get him by. Just makes him look like a bozo.

Anthony hopkins ws once a great actor and then he went to Hollywood and found the money....... just a lazy fat old guy now.

Jack Nicholson has more charisma and charm than acting ability. He is engaging and warm and witty and fun to watch. He outshines the serious thesps' and the others I've already mentioned and their ilk.

Sam jackson i haven't seen enough of to judge his credentials properly. But from what i have seen I think he's a grower who will bloom later in life. His best is yet to come.

Morgan Freeman can do more with a subtle glance or a nod of the head than most actors can do with a lifetime of movie exposure. A great actor who doesn't see enough of the limelight IMO.

Just my humble opinions brandon. If others think them great or poor then that's their prerogative just as it is mine to see the world the way i do :happy:

DarthBrandon
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Fair enough my friend, although I may not agree with everything you said, I will respect your views and opinions.:)

mabudonicus
08-08-2002, 07:12 PM
jargo- that's the guy i meant, tony hopkins.... just like michael caine, he just keeps playing that same, *british accent, dry* "ohhhh, down't be so sure" kind of character... like tom hanks, man, can't believe i forgot him....
john goodman,too, forgot, jlo, mariah carey, david carradine,

BoShek
08-08-2002, 09:47 PM
J Lo!!! And Brat Pitt too.

Bobajames
08-08-2002, 10:51 PM
my picks for overratedness: Britney Spears (not really even an actor, but oh well), George Clooney (ruined Batman), Richard Gere, and definitely vin diesel (pretty good in fast n furious, i liked it, but i have no desire to see XXX). thats all i can think of at the moment.

2-1B
09-12-2005, 01:08 AM
I could bang up a long list but I'm just going to say anybody who commands 20+ million USD per film. Now, that doesn't mean I don't like some of those actors, I just wish Hollywood could move away from the whole "bankable star to carry a picture" format which often ends up with such predictably bad films.

I like it when some bigger-name stars go off and do something more independent and end up in a nice little film. For example, Ben Affleck and Vin Diesel in Boiler Room. I know they weren't really big names at the times they made that picture, but my point still holds, I think, because if they would go off and do films like that again in the future, they'll end up with some better product. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-12-2005, 06:24 PM
I always thought Jack Nicholson was overrated. A good actor--yes! But he is a one-note actor and that note is playing kinda thin. I think we can see that he is plays the erratic, mildly psychotic guy right but a true sign of a great actor is versatility--soemthing I don't see in him. Just look at the list of actors who have never won a Best Acting Oscar (Cary Grant, Ian Mckellen, Gary Oldman--actors with far greater depth) and this guy has three!

maatu
09-12-2005, 07:02 PM
wow, where do i begin
george clooney
leonardo dicaprio
angelie jolie
jennifer lopez
demi moore
bruce wilis
ashton kushner
sean combs (p.diddy)
tara reid
the hilton's they suck..
nick cannon. can't frickin act. what the hell is wrong with hollywood.