PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Features

SirSteve
08-08-2002, 04:43 PM
I have hinted around to some upcoming new features that will be added to the forums. We will probably be rolling them out in about 2 months as soon as the bugs are worked out. Here is a list of them:

Added Features:

--to the user interface

General

Quick registration system...username, password, email and any required custom fields and timezone

Pop-up auto-refreshing buddylist with ICQ-style alerts when new buddies come online. You'll find a link in the temp buttons top right in the nav bar.

Show the title of the last posted to thread for each forum on index.php

Subscription to Threads/Forum without receiving e-mails

Favorite threads - you don't get email from these either.

User reputation rating (not sure if we will turn this on yet)

User ranking

Password break-in watches -- too many failed attempts warning with a preset wait after too many failures.

Threaded view

Password protected forums

Similar threads display

Send an email "thanks for registering and welcome to .." on user registration (welcome email)

Validity check for homepages

Search engine friendly archive of open forums

Happy birthday e-mails

Much improved calander system (too many changes to mention)

hit counter on announcements

Digests: new posts/threads in selected forums daily/weekly/monthly

"excerpt of message:" are now in the new reply email notifications

'report post to mod' sends anonymous copy to the original poster of the message

Restyled FAQ section now looks similar to a forum

Posting

WYSIWYG Editor for major text input fields (IE 5.5+Only). This works like a word processor. You highlight the text and click the option you want, like bold.

Minimum number of characters in post

Insert smilie/vB code where cursor is (IE 5+ Only)

Preview on edit

Ability to add attachment when editing a post instead of just when creating

Reason for editing

Reason for deleting (for admins and mods)

User CP - Profile

User Pictures - user can upload a personal picture. This picture is shown in the profile of the user.

Completely revamped PM system (currently in work)

Longer signature field with optional limit

Search

Get daily for just one category

Search only in subscribed forums

A list of ignored words or words used in a search are added to the results page

Option to find only started by 'username'

Display matching forums in results

Support for searching custom profile fields

Search for exact username (e.g. turn off wildcards)

Polls

Option for users to see who voted for which option (public vote)

When you vote your name is highlighted when viewing results

Poll results ordered by most to less voted

Ability to post a poll AFTER a thread had started

Usability

Hitting the back button no longer necessary when you have too many images

Option to save cookie *on this computer* when logging in

Login/logout ability in all pages, with user/pass form -- single login system

And whatever else gets done... :)

Pendo
08-08-2002, 04:48 PM
Sounds GREAT SirSteve!!! I can't wait for all the features to come into action ;). This place just keeps getting better and better!

PENDO!

Beast
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Wow Sir Steve, that really is a "butt-load of new features". You know I am gonna run that quote right into the ground. ;) All of them sound great. Is there any chance that they long rumored custom rankings could make their way in also? Oh, and don't forget that chatroom. ;) :D

I have a ton of questions, but I need to put my thoughts in order. Though how is the "user ranking" feature going to work? That one sounds like it could be the most misused, and become like a SSG version of Survivor. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

master jedi
08-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve

Password protected forums

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean for forums for mods & admin or what?

Another cool thing you could to the forums is to have a feature where the user could set the forums he/she wishes to see. For Example, I rarely check any of the toy sections anymore and I never go to the auction/trade forums so I could choose in my CP not to view them. This would help from scrolling up & down a long list to get to and/or find a forum I want to get to.

SirSteve
08-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Custom ratings? That's already a feature, I just have it turned off. It could get really messy. As for master jedi - yes, that feature is coming but it may be for the follow-up of the new version.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
08-08-2002, 08:42 PM
hey what new user rankings are coming? and are rankings like Jedi and Sith Paths, and will their be like a Bounty Hunter Path?

SirSteve
08-08-2002, 08:46 PM
User ranking is more like, you rank a user but it is anonymous. Not sure if I will use it or not yet...

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 01:36 AM
I vote "not" on the individual user rankings, I don't like the idea of voting on a specific user.

As for password protected forums, I could swear we have it on this version and it WORKS.

QLD
08-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Hey, if we use it, it could make the forums more like Face the Jury. :D

And I would LOVE the chatroom back.

And instead of custom rankings, have a group of new rankings to add, that we can all vote on. Maybe take ideas from us, and then take, say 20 of those, let us vote on them, and the top, say, top 3 for each side (light, dark) get added. Just a thought.

But most of that stuff sounds GREAT!

SWAFMAN
08-22-2002, 06:10 PM
In addition to all the past comments on the subject, I think today's GenDisc thread stirring the post-padding pot seems to make a lot of good arguments for a chatroom feature, too.

I suppose it might be a pretty big hassle from a Mod's perspective, though.

Beast
08-22-2002, 06:23 PM
I've told Sir Steve in the past, that if he doesn't want to bring back the chatroom because of the mod issue that I am willing to go ahead and moderate the chatroom. I'm pretty much here all the time anyway so I could keep my peepers on there so that it doesn't turn into a problem like it did before. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
08-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Kewl!:D

hango fett
08-22-2002, 07:34 PM
this is gonna be sweet! can you give us a time frame of when it should be ready? what about bigger avatars? or just a file size bigger than 7k???
???
hf
BTW i think you are doing one hell of a job, sirsteve. i wish i could shake your hand!

macewindu87
08-22-2002, 08:51 PM
the chatroom sounds greeeeeaaaaat! and it would be nicer to have a somewhat larger avatar.
mace

hango fett
08-23-2002, 06:51 AM
yeah...me and you both, mace! boy! there are 2 things to look forward to in the future! AOTC on DVD and the update!!whooo hooo!
h

Nexu
08-25-2002, 10:26 PM
Insert smilie/vB code where cursor is (IE 5+ Only)

I've been waiting for that.

Ability to add attachment when editing a post instead of just when creating

We can do that now.

JediTricks
08-27-2002, 01:01 AM
Nexu, you can't add an attachment in Edit, you can only change an attachment to another attachment.

(Hmm, I guess that came with the last update, it wasn't there last time I actively looked.)

Beast
08-27-2002, 01:08 AM
JT, I think you are incorrect. I have added attachments to past posts before. I do it quite often, because I remeber a picture that I have forgotten to attach. :)

Edit: See, the image from your website wasn't originally a part of this post. So Nyah!. ;) :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
08-27-2002, 06:04 AM
i think JJB is right. let me see if he is! well, this really should be doen in the testing area, but hey.......
h
edit: see my pick of natalie!

Nexu
08-27-2002, 11:03 PM
Correction: I am right. ;) :p

hango fett
08-28-2002, 03:34 PM
yes, you are right. at least you didn't rant and rave on and on about it. good job!
h

Nexu
08-28-2002, 08:09 PM
That's not my style. ;)

hango fett
08-28-2002, 08:34 PM
thank god! we have enough of that right now.
I CAN NOT WAIT TILL THE UPDATE IS HERE!
h

2-1B
03-26-2006, 12:45 AM
That's not my style. ;)

but getting banned is? :confused:

Slicker
03-26-2006, 12:48 AM
You remember Hango's long a55 thread about finding a date for prom and then not even going? That was :cry:

2-1B
03-26-2006, 12:59 AM
I thought your mom had a ticket? :confused:

Kidhuman
03-26-2006, 01:04 AM
No, she chaparoned it.

2-1B
03-26-2006, 01:46 AM
"I refuse to recognize Hango as a victim."

lollollol