PDA

View Full Version : Are SW figure/toy petitions effective?

Old Fossil
08-08-2002, 11:12 PM
I'm wondering if I shouldn't start a petition for a rerelease of the 3.75" Han Solo w/Tauntaun. I never saw the POTF2 version at retail, and it goes on eBay for outrageous prices. It wasn't an exclusive (if I remember correctly), so there should be no issues in that regard.

But should I bother? I've signed several Star Wars action figure/vehicle petitions (most recently for the Sandcrawler) and I don't know that they made one whit of difference. Should I do my duty to myself and the collecting world, or not worry about it, and continue to let Luke sit atop his Tauntaun on my shelf, as he has now for years?

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 03:34 AM
IMO, petitions need a LOT of support to work, but they can work with enough signatures so long as the goal of the petition isn't too outrageous or impossible. However, I think there are so many lesser petitions out there right now that without HUGE numbers, Hasbro won't even pay it lip service.

Beast
08-09-2002, 03:59 AM
I think the last figure we even got because of a successful petition was Wuher. From what I hear, a petition has to have atleast 10,000+ signatures, before Hasbro even will look at it. But there may be hope, the original Tautaun's were not exclusives, so there is always a chance they could become a future store exclusive. :)

I would like to see a store get a pair of boxed diorama 3-packs. They could dust off the Tauntaun molds, and put Tauntaun w/ Han, Tauntaun w/ Luke, and the Wampa in the Hoth Set. And then in the second set, do an Endor Chase Diorama. Luke: Endor, Leia: Endor, and Biker Scout w/ their bikes. They coud retool again the new Deluxe CloneTrooper Speederbike for the set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
08-09-2002, 04:06 AM
I think Hasbro may look at a reasonable petition that people will get behind from time to time, but lately theres been an insane outburst of petitions that I think Hasbro just gets tired of them and doesn't want to get involved.

aceguide
08-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Collectors are diluting the efrfectiveness of any petition right now. Requests for ficgures from AOTC are silly at this stage.

I would like to think that focus on OT figures and sets (LOVE JJB's idea for the Hoth set - that would ROCK!) would have some impact - but not in the current market with requests for more Geonisans.

hango fett
08-09-2002, 08:55 AM
at the present moment, they are just really annoying and time-wasting. like jarjar is found of saying "we still have 2 1/2 years untill EIII. thats plenty of time!" and i aggree 110%! stop the petitions!
h.

OriginalBryGuy
08-09-2002, 09:43 AM
I've commented on this. On-line petitions do nothing. HASBRO already has a full schedule of figures it's doing. They don't listen to petitions, that's why they created the "fan's choice" line - so they wouldn't have to. Vote for your figure there, not in a petition.

tagmac
08-09-2002, 11:09 AM
How about a petition for certain other "e-bay" items like the Eopie. Why that was only sold overseas is a mystery. I'd like to see the Epic Force Qui-Gon re-released, but I know it's just a pipe dream.

As for the Han/Tauntaun, for some reason, that case never appeared in stores. Same with the Wampa. I only saw them in retail ONCE in a Computer store, months after I'd had bought them at a flea market (for $25 each - not too bad).

Beast
08-09-2002, 11:36 AM
The Eopie was only released overseas because the E1 line was dieing when it was to be released. The stores over-ordered and had to many Opee's and Kaadu's on the shelves, so they didn't want anymore cases of the beast assortment. That's also why the Jabba w/ Hex & Rex was hard to find in the states. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
08-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Yep, I believe petitions don't work. Just because 200 collectors say they want one, doesn't mean anything when there are hundreds of thousands of kids than want something else. It comes down to making sense BUSINESS wise when they decide on what figures to make. Are they going to sell? Are they within the budget to make? That kind of stuff...

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Geez, if I had known that the Han w/TaunTaun and Luke w/Wampa would be causing this much ruckuss four years after their release, I probably would have picked up an extra set or two. The Han w/TaunTaun and Luke w/ Wampa sets were pegwarmers at the Army Post Exchange, in Ft. Hood, TX, for months. I picked up one Han set and one Luke set and traded them a couple months later for something (I don't remember what).

Anyway, Hasbro probably has had their fill of petitions since they seem to be getting sillier and sillier by the day (Ice Cream Guy?).

Old Fossil
08-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Well, thanks, everyone, for the shared wisdom. I guess I'll leave that sleeping dog alone for now.