PDA

View Full Version : What's with limited edition FOOD?!?

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 02:37 AM
I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, what's the deal with limited edition food? Do companies think the public is so collector-crazed these days? Do they think we're just so gullible that we can't enjoy something unless there's the threat that it's going to go away? Why is it just sugary snacks and junk food? Look at all the recent foods that have gone limited edition:

- Breakfast Cereals (Pokemon, Simpsons, etc.)
- Sodas (Shasta Root Beer)
- Candy (White Chocolate Kit-Kat)
- Chips (Lays California Dill Sour cream, Lays Memphis BBQ)
- Fast Food (McDonald's McRib and Mighty Wings)

So, in the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld, "what is the deal?!?"

2-1B
08-09-2002, 02:49 AM
You're kidding about the Cali Dill, RIGHT ? I love those chips, they are WAYYYYYYYY better than any other Dill potato chip I've ever had. :cry:

Fast Food - I don't get it either . . . sure it might create some buzz by being available "for a limited time." But what's the long term gain? If the food is good to begin with, you should be able to milk it for years!

Simpsons cereal was limited? I bought a few boxes of Homer's Donuts on clearance, I just thought the product didn't take off in sales. :dead:

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 03:11 AM
Yup, Cali Dill is indeed a limited edition, says so on the back of the package. Personally, I favor the other one (a fine BBQ chip) so I know what you mean.

Fast food blows my mind because you can't KEEP it on your bookshelf, you can't trade anything for a vintage '98 McRib sandwich (McRib -aka- the pork McNugget ;)). What's strange to me is how people actually do look forward to the McRib once it's gone, so it's working!

Yeah, Simpsons cereal was very limited, even more than AOTC cereal. It was so rare that I have never actually seen a box on shelves.

Beast
08-09-2002, 04:04 AM
I hate limited edition food, especially in the case of Taco Bell. Anyone remember when they had the "Rancho Steak Burrito" for a limited time. I loved those, I would go there often as hell to get one, cause I knew that like most food if it's popular enough they would keep it around. Everyone I know really liked it, but it suddenly quit showing up on Taco Bell menus. But Taco Bell is notorius for bringing stuff back after while. Well, I am still waiting. Anyone else out there remember these delicious burritos. :cry: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
08-09-2002, 04:08 AM
Burger King also had cheese sticks for a limited time, they were actually pretty good, but I dunno when they stopped having them. :(

mabudonicus
08-09-2002, 08:56 AM
right... I never understood that business either...
my last gf (together for 6 years, so I had the time to ask lots of questions) worked at kfc, and said that the limited edition is supposed to be a safe way to test-market stuff, so they don't have to keep it available (increasing inventory and loss etc) if it fails... people inevitably ask for stuff that's "edition" has ended, and if they made a big enough deal about the "end date", they just say "oh, sorry, the promotion's over"
Also as a phony hype generator, although I think I would have to leave if someone actually said "mmmmmm- limited edition" while eating a piece of *ughhh* fast food.

Anyways, I have a mc-rib from the original early 80s edition, anybody here interested??? it's PIMB (Putrid in mint box), if ya want it pm me:):):)

scruffziller
08-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Are they actually just "limited" or will they keep it if does do well. Anyone know they science????

Mandalorian Candidat
08-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I hate limited edition food, especially in the case of Taco Bell. Anyone remember when they had the "Rancho Steak Burrito" for a limited time. I loved those, I would go there often as hell to get one, cause I knew that like most food if it's popular enough they would keep it around. Everyone I know really liked it, but it suddenly quit showing up on Taco Bell menus. But Taco Bell is notorius for bringing stuff back after while. Well, I am still waiting. Anyone else out there

Does anyone remember when Taco Bell used to serve breakfast? They had the best breakfast burrito called the country BB. It had eggs, cheese, tater tots, and country sausage all for 69 cents. Those things were so dang good I could eat a ton. I used to buy a couple every Sat. morning on my way to WM to hunt for EP1 SW figures.

I wish they would bring those back. :(

Jonna
08-09-2002, 10:03 AM
What is up with that!?!

Exhaust Port
08-09-2002, 10:10 AM
I find it funny that a lot of these limited foods are more popular than the junk they leave on their menu.

mabudonicus
08-09-2002, 10:16 AM
scruffziller- nice avatar. btw:)!! yeah, they will usually discontinue it at the "designated" time no matter what, as you can figure out how many to order per week and stuff in the "limited" frame, then bring it back regular once all the data has been co-lated.
In some cases, though, it appears that the idea is just to give a "dynamic" impression, like at mcdonalds, where they will have a "special menu item" for a while just to create a new set of "habitual" customers, hoping that they will come in after the "edition" is up, then find out what they came for is gone and just order something else, that's how they build clientele, just trick them into wanting something that wasn't part of the plan.....
You want fries with that??

Beast
08-09-2002, 11:13 AM
Well supposedly if the limited edition fast food stuff does really well they will make it a permanent addition to the menu. I don't know how many they really need to sell nationwide for that to happen though. I just know I want my damn "Rancho Steak Burritos" back at Taco Bell. :cry: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
08-09-2002, 11:49 AM
my friend and i are always on the "popcorn chicken" when they bring it back to KFC! i hate how much i want it... can't control... self... need popcorn chicken...

stormie
08-09-2002, 11:58 AM
If something's a limited edition, I usually avoid it. I'm not sure why, but I believe that by calling it "Limited Edition" or something tells my brain that it won't be available in the near future, so why even see if I like it. There's a certain comfort in knowing that some things will be there if I should want them. An LE item doesn't provide that comfort.

Nowadays, I treat all new television shows as Limited Editions. In the past, I've grown to like too many new shows that were quickly cancelled.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-09-2002, 02:38 PM
I remember when I was younger that the only limited edition food used to be the Shamrock Shakes at McD's.

Freak, do I sound old or what...

Exhaust Port
08-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Those things were really popular back in the day of limited "limited edition" food.

No you don't sound old. ;)

stormie
08-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Shamrock Shakes were great! Were those considered "limited edition" or just seasonal? I remember them being available for a few weeks around St. Patrick's Day every year. You could count on them being there...well, up until they stopped doing them several years ago. I still remember trying to order one, and receiving just a vacant stare and a "A what?" from the cashier. :D

JEDIpartner
08-09-2002, 03:26 PM
About 15 years ago, when I lived in Dayton, McDonald's had a "McPizza". Basically-- it was a pizza HOT POCKET before those existed. Those were awesome. I know that (sometimes) companies do these things to test out a product before they place them permanently. I think that certain products fail to meet the numbers necessary to keep them up as permanent menu items... so they bring them around from time to time.

As far as the limited edition crap that lines the grocery shelves...? I have no clue! Those items are usually pretty nasty.

BTW... Shamrock Shakes are "seasonal" as are the Arctic Orange and Egg Nog shakes.

DarthBrandon
08-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Burger King also had cheese sticks for a limited time, they were actually pretty good, but I dunno when they stopped having them. :(

We still have the cheese sticks here LtBasker.:) The wife buys them everytime she goes to Burger King.:D

Jedi_Bates
08-09-2002, 03:36 PM
I remember about a year ago McDonald's had a coke float which is probobly my favorite all time beverage. I know its not that hard to whip it up yourself but McDonalds really had it down.

JEDIpartner
08-09-2002, 03:37 PM
It was the soft serve ice cream that totally made it rock!

Beast
08-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I swore that Burger King added the cheese sticks to their 99 cent menu? Maybe I'm mistaken about that. :confused: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
08-09-2002, 03:50 PM
It could just be a regional thing... like tacos at SoCal Burger Kings.

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
right... I never understood that business either...
my last gf (together for 6 years, so I had the time to ask lots of questions) worked at kfc, and said that the limited edition is supposed to be a safe way to test-market stuff, so they don't have to keep it available (increasing inventory and loss etc) if it fails... people inevitably ask for stuff that's "edition" has ended, and if they made a big enough deal about the "end date", they just say "oh, sorry, the promotion's over"
Also as a phony hype generator, although I think I would have to leave if someone actually said "mmmmmm- limited edition" while eating a piece of *ughhh* fast food.

Anyways, I have a mc-rib from the original early 80s edition, anybody here interested??? it's PIMB (Putrid in mint box), if ya want it pm me:):):) Oh man, I forgot about KFC, they're as bad as the McRib with their honey bbq wings, popcorn chicken (aka chicken torso leavings :D) and Buffalo wings!

I'll trade you a vintage McDLT in the classic eco-destroying styrofoam packaging in ND condition (Nearly Digested) for that McRib, I know a guy who can get me 7 KFC Buffalo wings from '89 for that. :D

JediPartner, the McDonalds in Glendale has a McPizza, McSoup, and Bottled McWater! None of it seems LE though, I guess it's because it's a very businessy area.

Seems like the limited edition fast food bothers you guys the most, with good reason.

Beast
08-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Yeah, it bothers us the most. Because, just like someone else said earlier, the stuff that's limited edition is better then most of the stuff on the menu. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-10-2002, 02:52 AM
I enjoy Shamrock Shakes every March ! I hope you're mistaken stormie, that's a real shame if they are gone forever by you. :cry:

Ooooh, McRib - now that's a food that I am glad is limited. Nastaaaaaaaaaay. :dead:

Binksydoo, I never had that Ranch Steak burrito because I am sickened by that "steak" they serve - however I am reminded of the failed Enchirito (at least, I think it failed :D ) . . . not a good foodstuff by ANY means. :)
And why does T-Bell's chicken taste like it's been marinated in hand soap or some other disinfectant? :eek:

JediTricks
08-10-2002, 03:27 AM
I think the Enchirito wasn't meant to be limited, and I thought it was tasty, but it was NOT right for fast food because it was just TOO messy.

Taco Bell's chicken is weird, it's cooked and frozen in bags at their HQ, then driven out to stores and cooked by being dropped in hot water -- they're simply boil-in-bag!

The McRib is the one most folks seem to go crackers for, they actively look forward to it coming back. If it's so popular, why don't they simply leave it on the menu?

QLD
08-10-2002, 11:49 AM
One thing I found out recently is that McDonalds owns the pizza chain Donatos. ANd I did hear that they are test marketing pizza at some stores.

Also, I remember having root beer milkshakes at the McDonalds in Cali right by Disneyland. They were darn good!

What about the Batman Burger McDonalds had during Batman Forever. I loved that too!

Peppermint and eggnog shakes at McD's too.

Mushroom Swiss Burgers at Hardee's

Monteray Ranch Chicken at Wendy's

Bacon Cheddar Mushroom Melt at Wendy's.....God that is good.

Triple Cheeseburgers at McD's....I don't know why they don't stay.

And what was that sandwich they used to have a few years ago at McD's.....it was a burger, with a different type of bun...and some funky sauce on it...Big Deluxe I think. You could get them with Bacon too. Those were good!

2-1B
08-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Arch Deluxe was good! I think it was on a potato bun, and you're right about that sauce being funky. :D I always added ketchup.
But what was the bacon all about? They sold it without, but always bugged you to add bacon for 39 cents. It was part of their newer adult oriented menu . . . I remember the ads of Ronnie rollerskating while hyping the "grown up" aspect. That's pretty goofy when McD's has to resort to teaser trailers!

Gabbo! Gabbo! Gabbo!

Beast
08-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Yes indeed, the Arch Deluxe had a sesame seed potato roll instead of your average hamburger bun. And that wacky sauce Ceasar, it was a brown mustard. And it wasn't just regular bacon it was thick-sliced pepper bacon. Yum! :D

It's not limited edition, but I love Rally's hamburgers. They beat anything that McDonald's and Burger King can do. Not to mention they are one of the few places that put red onions on their burgers, and I love those darn things. :cool: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Brown Mustard? :confused: This sauce was white, definitely not mustard. I remember the bacon being pretty ordinary, but I never added it after the first time I tried one . . .

Beast
08-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Well, from my memory and from the site I'm reading that's what it was. Oh wait, I checked again. They mixed brown mustard and mayo together for the sauce. :) Oh well, they were still pretty good. But as usual, anything that is really good ends up going away. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-11-2002, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I am telling you, the Batman Burger ROCKED!

TeeEye7
08-11-2002, 06:48 AM
My arteries are clogging listening to all of this....

Angioplasty, anyone?

mabudonicus
08-11-2002, 08:33 AM
First - sorry JT, I got drunk and ate the Mc rib last night, and I'll tell ya, it wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped:)...
One thing that was awesome, taco bell used to have these little cups of melty cheese and beans, and you could get that and 3 soft tacos for like 2 bucks, then put the bean and cheese into the tacos... it was too good to be true, and after a couple months they changed it and we never went back...
As another topical snippet, pepsi owns pizza hut, kfc and taco bell, all under the tricon global aegis (most of them, anyways), at least, that's how it is up here.....

JediDan
08-11-2002, 10:47 AM
I have never seen the White Chocolate Kit Kats. Are they out now or was that long ago? Sounds delicious to me. :D

Grif
08-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Does anyone remember Pizza Ria's made by Keebler? They were not limited edition, but they are not made anymore. They were and still are my favorite chips.

DarthBrandon
08-11-2002, 06:29 PM
What Hostess chips and all the limited edition flavor test runs that they've done. i.e. pizza, grape, fries and gravy. Anyone remember any more flavors?

jjreason
08-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Roasted Chicken, Salt and Pepper, Orange, Grape, Fries and Gravy, Pizza, Smoky Bacon (tasty), and last but not least, Bacon and Sour Cream, which for some reason was only available in the rippled model.

Im imagining that not one of us is skinny!

DarthBrandon
08-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Roasted Chicken, Salt and Pepper, Orange, Grape, Fries and Gravy, Pizza, Smoky Bacon (tasty), and last but not least, Bacon and Sour Cream, which for some reason was only available in the rippled model.

I still see Roasted Chicken floating around from time to time, Orange and Grape were just awful, I did like Pizza, RC, SB, and Bacon and Sour Cream. What did you think of the Extreme version of chips? i.e. BBQ, Sour Cream, Buffalo Wings and Suicide.

The only one I could stomach was the Buffalo Wings version, the rest just overwhelmed me.:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-12-2002, 12:07 AM

I remember that you guys in Canada had some messed up chips. During my yearly visit I would always scope out the differences between your food and ours. I remember Lays had Pickled flavored chips (back before they became popular here) and also Ketchup flavored. Your Smarties were also like our M & Ms and you had a lot of hard to find Cadbury bars (including Coffee Crisps).

Shamrock Shakes you might be able to get at any local ice cream establishment, year round. Just ask for a mint milkshake.

Do you remember when Hostess had pudding filled fruit pies. Those were pretty darn good and now I can't find them.

Remember when Wendy's had salad bars? I remember ODing on tacos, nachos, mousse, and those ham cubes that you put on your salad.

QLD
08-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Mmmm...pudding pies. Those were awesome. Especially the Vanilla ones. I remember they had some "green ooze" pudding pies for one of the Ninja Turtles movies too.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

I remember that you guys in Canada had some messed up chips. During my yearly visit I would always scope out the differences between your food and ours. I remember Lays had Pickled flavored chips (back before they became popular here) and also Ketchup flavored. Your Smarties were also like our M & Ms and you had a lot of hard to find Cadbury bars (including Coffee Crisps).

Shamrock Shakes you might be able to get at any local ice cream establishment, year round. Just ask for a mint milkshake.

Do you remember when Hostess had pudding filled fruit pies. Those were pretty darn good and now I can't find them.

Remember when Wendy's had salad bars? I remember ODing on tacos, nachos, mousse, and those ham cubes that you put on your salad.

I remember all of those things Lowly Bantha Cleaner, but sadly they are a thing of the past, except for mint shakes. We still have them here at different places and McDonalds has them during St. Patrick’s Day for a month.

P.S. We still have all the Cadbury bars here as well.:)

stormie
08-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I enjoy Shamrock Shakes every March ! I hope you're mistaken stormie, that's a real shame if they are gone forever by you. :cry:

Maybe they brought 'em back or never had them at the place I tried to order them. Or maybe it wasn't even March! ;) I haven't been to a McD's in years, so, judging by all the affirmative responses, they probably still have them. When March comes around, I'll have to make a McD run!

As far as other foods long-forgotten, I really can't remember ever liking much that's no longer around. However, when I was a kid, they had this soda called, I believe, Chelsee or something. It tasted kind of like sparkling apple juice, but was something else. Never knew what happened to it. It was good!
Another, more recent, food MIA was the chocolate-chip Entemann's cereal bars. I think they still make the fruit-flavored bars (like the Nutri-Grain bars), but the chocolate-chip flavor is nowhere. Too bad, they were the best!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
It could just be a regional thing... like tacos at SoCal Burger Kings.

They have 'em in the Utah BKs too, but they're not nearly as good as the ones at Jack in the Box.

Does anyone remember those stuffed pizzas at Pizza Hut called Priazzos? Those were so freaking good, but they came with enough grease to slick the hair of the whole cast of Revenge of the Nerds I, II, and III. I used to work there and I would bring home one about every other night for the fam.

I wish they would bring them back, but they'd probably cost a ton of $ if they did.

Beast
08-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Ok, I am ticked off. I went out today to get a replacement copy of Lord of the Rings, because the second disc skipped. So I decide to stop by Taco Bell and get a "Mucho Grande Nachos". They tell me that they have discontinued that item. What!? The only thing I actually liked getting there has went the way of the "Rancho Steak Burrito". Once again proving that the best thing on the menus always get discontinued. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-12-2002, 02:54 PM
I like Taco Bell's Quesadillas for some reason. Most people hate them, but I love em! And I LOVE the Mexican Pizzas!

Mmmmm

RooJay
08-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Cool thread! My brothe and I are always complaining about exactly this. Anyone else remember Strawberry Twinkies? Anybody else had the Banana Twinkies that Hostess test marketed in Hawaii?

Beast
08-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Nope, never saw any Strawberry Twinkies around here. Or atleast I don't remember them anyway. As for the Banana ones that were tested in Hawaii, never heard about that either. The original cream filling was banana flavored anyway, I wish they would bring those back.

Oh well, when it comes to snack cakes I'll stick to Lil' Debbie. They have a nice variety, including things similar to Strawberry Twinkies and Banana Twinkies. They taste better then Hostess' stuff to me, and they are cheaper as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
First - sorry JT, I got drunk and ate the Mc rib last night, and I'll tell ya, it wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped:)...
One thing that was awesome, taco bell used to have these little cups of melty cheese and beans, and you could get that and 3 soft tacos for like 2 bucks, then put the bean and cheese into the tacos... it was too good to be true, and after a couple months they changed it and we never went back...
As another topical snippet, pepsi owns pizza hut, kfc and taco bell, all under the tricon global aegis (most of them, anyways), at least, that's how it is up here..... Why "sorry"? I had a McRib a while back when it was around, it wasn't as good.

Taco Bell still offers "Pintos & Cheese" for a handful of change, but I don't remember them selling tortillas with 'em. You can also get plain Nachos there for the same change that is just a bag of fresh chips and a cup of hot nacho cheese, that's a bargain... AND it's not limited. :D

We should all know that Pepsi owns the Pizza Hut, KFC, and Taco Bell companies under the "Tricon" name, that's who brought us miles and miles of Ep 1 junk in '99. ;) All 3 companies have many chains that are franchise-owned of course, KFC was started entirely as a franchise situation based off Col Sanders' restaurant "secret" recipe (secretly written on that store's storeroom door molding).

Originally posted by JediDan
I have never seen the White Chocolate Kit Kats. Are they out now or was that long ago? Sounds delicious to me. :D They're out now, I found one at the store a week ago, that's what got me thinking about this thread. It was good, but like all white chocolate, was too melty for summer weather (even where a regular Kit-Kat would survive, these would not).

Originally posted by brandon
What Hostess chips and all the limited edition flavor test runs that they've done. i.e. pizza, grape, fries and gravy. Anyone remember any more flavors? A family friend who was Canadian once brought us Hostess potato chips, it was VERY weird because they don't make any non-sweet snacks here in the US at all that I know of. I was just thankful they weren't ketchup flavor, that sounds repulsive.

You know what I hate? Lays' Ruffles brand used to have a great Buffalo Wing flavor that they killed, and then they brought it back this year but with RANCH flavor added as well... PUUUUUUKE!!!

Remember when Wendy's had salad bars? I remember ODing on tacos, nachos, mousse, and those ham cubes that you put on your salad. LBC, I remember those pudding pies vaguely, and only vaguely because all the supermarkets in my area still make them, so if I ever have a yen for one, I don't need a time machine. :D

As for Wendy's, they had salad bars around here right up until Dave Thomas died. My mom was a biiiiiig fan of the salad bar and baked potato combo.

ManCan, the BK tacos are directly based off of the classic Jack in the Box tacos (same price too, 2 for a buck). Personally, I think BK doesn't know what they're doing with 'em, I tried 'em once and they weren't cooked right at all. BK will be adding a lot of Wendy's-type items to their menus in the next few weeks including Chili and Baked Potatoes.

Originally posted by RooJay
Cool thread! My brothe and I are always complaining about exactly this. Anyone else remember Strawberry Twinkies? Anybody else had the Banana Twinkies that Hostess test marketed in Hawaii?
Strawberry twinkies were the ones with the strawberry jam, right? When Hostess bought Dolly Madsen, I think they discontinued it even regionally because they were concentrating on ruining the DM Zinger. The Banana Twinkies are in LA as well, I refuse to buy 'em though, I'm no fan of artificial banana flavoring. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
You're kidding about the Cali Dill, RIGHT ? I love those chips, they are WAYYYYYYYY better than any other Dill potato chip I've ever had. :cry:

Fast Food - I don't get it either . . . sure it might create some buzz by being available "for a limited time." But what's the long term gain? If the food is good to begin with, you should be able to milk it for years!

Simpsons cereal was limited? I bought a few boxes of Homer's Donuts on clearance, I just thought the product didn't take off in sales. :dead:

Simpson's Donut cereal rules! How many other cereals can claim the high percentage of fat they have in them?

Big Lots has tons of them for $1.99. Don't know how old they are though :sur:

jjreason
08-13-2002, 01:08 AM
Brandon, I never got into the "Extreme" chips up here, Im not the biggest chip fan anyway.
Weird thing, in Canada anyway. I can't get the "Vachon" cakes out here in BC! No Jos. Louis, no "billot" logs, no Lune Moons. Brutal. They were everywhere back in ON, and I know they're big in Quebec. You guys must get them in NB? I could go for a nice chocolate lune moon right now!:cry: :D

Sorry, edit needed. Does anyone from Canada remember back in the days before Taquitos were absorbed by the Dorito's brand? They used to have Zesty Cheese (which they still make on Dorito's up here) but the ringer was "Taco" flavored tortilla chips. They were a nasty shade of poopy brown, but deadly delicious. Id crawl over my own mother just to get a 25cent bag of those babies.....and I'd wash it down with a nice "Hire's" root beer!:cool:

DarthBrandon
08-13-2002, 12:46 PM
Weird thing, in Canada anyway. I can't get the "Vachon" cakes out here in BC! No Jos. Louis, no "billot" logs, no Lune Moons. Brutal. They were everywhere back in ON, and I know they're big in Quebec. You guys must get them in NB? I could go for a nice chocolate lune moon right now!:cry: :D

You have to be kidding me jjreason, you have no Vachon cakes. Now that would be a good business opportunity for someone out in B.C. Think of the money you would make bringing them in. We have tons of them everywhere, Joe. Louis, Billot Logs, Mae Wests, Lune Moons, Brownies, Super Caramel Sandwich, Passion Flakie, and Mille Feuille (SP). We have others that I haven't tried yet as well. I'm sorry they are not out in B.C., but I bet you have some good American brands out there. :)

Sorry, edit needed. Does anyone from Canada remember back in the days before Taquitos were absorbed by the Dorito's brand? They used to have Zesty Cheese (which they still make on Dorito's up here) but the ringer was "Taco" flavored tortilla chips. They were a nasty shade of poopy brown, but deadly delicious. Id crawl over my own mother just to get a 25cent bag of those babies.....and I'd wash it down with a nice "Hire's" root beer!:cool:

Sorry jjreason, can't say that I do. Although I have tried a lot of chips, I don't remember that particular brand.:D

Mike Troxell
08-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Let us all say a prayer in hopes that McDonald's hot dogs are limited edition.

Something about a food that inherantly filthy at a place that inherantly filthy turns me off :crazed:

JediTricks
08-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
Let us all say a prayer in hopes that McDonald's hot dogs are limited edition.

Something about a food that inherantly filthy at a place that inherantly filthy turns me off :crazed: But all that filth MUST counteract each other! :D I forgot they added a hot dog recently, they pulled it around here lightning-fast.

Look at all that crazy Canadian snackproduct! You may as well be speaking manderin 'cause I haven't a clue. ;)

DarthBrandon
08-14-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
But all that filth MUST counteract each other! :D I forgot they added a hot dog recently, they pulled it around here lightning-fast.

Look at all that crazy Canadian snackproduct! You may as well be speaking manderin 'cause I haven't a clue. ;)

What Canadian snack product would that be JT? :)

jjreason
08-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Sad, sad, sad. You're not truly alive unless you've lived on Lune Moons and Jos. Louis' for a weekend while camping. Tasty - and crazy bad for you. More grams of trans-fat than pretty much any other compound people would consider ingesting.

TylerD
08-14-2002, 03:13 AM
I DO remember the Pizza Ria chips. I have VERY fond memories of them!

My Dad told me that Wendy's used to have hot dogs and fish sandwiches.

I was SO MAD when McDonald's got rid of their Chicken Select Strips. IMO, they were so MUCH BETTER than their ground up, filled with veins and cartillage (sp?) chicken nuggets.

I used to always buy a Hostess Angel Food Cake with Pink Frosting whenever I went to Mini Mart when I was about 6. (10 years ago) They were so damn good! Then I never saw them again. About a month ago, I stop in Breezewood Pennsylvania while on a road trip, and guess what I find? God is good!

TylerD
08-14-2002, 03:17 AM
Oh, by the way, The Simpsons Donut cereal is very good. My grandma picked some up for me at Big Lots. And since I am talking about cereal, how about that Count Chocula/Franken Berry/Boo Berry cereal deal? I can NOT find it here in central california. It only showed up ONCE at my local supermarket, and I have lived here 8 years! Then there is the deal with General Oats' Quisp cereal! I have never even TASTED that, or seen it.
Anyone remember the damn good Batman cereal when Batman the Movie came out? I can still taste it.

And while I am at it, how about the exclusivity of grape pop tarts only in Michigan?!? I have a hankering to taste them!

RooJay
08-14-2002, 07:00 PM
The Banana Twinkies that Hostess test marketed in Hawaii (you say they still have Banana Twinkies in L.A.?) were really good. No, they didn't just have the original banana flavored cream; they were actually made of a really soft, great tasting kind of banana bread (a lot like the rectangular banana nut muffin bars they sell nowadays) instead of the usual yellow cake. I love regular Twinkies. I would kill for Banana Twinkies!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-14-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by TylerD
Oh, by the way, The Simpsons Donut cereal is very good. My grandma picked some up for me at Big Lots. And since I am talking about cereal, how about that Count Chocula/Franken Berry/Boo Berry cereal deal? I can NOT find it here in central california. It only showed up ONCE at my local supermarket, and I have lived here 8 years! Then there is the deal with General Oats' Quisp cereal! I have never even TASTED that, or seen it.
Anyone remember the damn good Batman cereal when Batman the Movie came out? I can still taste it.

And while I am at it, how about the exclusivity of grape pop tarts only in Michigan?!? I have a hankering to taste them!

I was raised on Count Chocula and the gang. Boo Berry was my favorite though. After awhile I could not find those cereals and I assumed that they disappeared, but since I am a man now :Pirate: and I am doing my own shopping, I have seen the Count and Frankenberry return. Sadly no Boo Berry though :cry:

originally posted by JediTricks
We should all know that Pepsi owns the Pizza Hut, KFC, and Taco Bell companies under the "Tricon" name, that's who brought us miles and miles of Ep 1 junk in '99. All 3 companies have many chains that are franchise-owned of course, KFC was started entirely as a franchise situation based off Col Sanders' restaurant "secret" recipe (secretly written on that store's storeroom door molding).

If I am not mistaken, Tricon now operates independent of Pepsi now. Pepsi sold them some time ago.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by TylerD
And since I am talking about cereal, how about that Count Chocula/Franken Berry/Boo Berry cereal deal? I can NOT find it here in central california. It only showed up ONCE at my local supermarket, and I have lived here 8 years! Then there is the deal with General Oats' Quisp cereal! I have never even TASTED that, or seen it. Count Chocula and pals are now regional AND occasionally at Target, and you can find stores who sell 'em online. Quisp is back in markets here in LA, it's basically just disc-shaped Capn Crunch, the original appeal of Quisp was that Jay Ward of Rocky & Bullwinkle fame did tons of plot-driven ads for the cereal.

RooJay, I can't be 100% sure they're still on shelves, but they were definitely at the local AM/PM last time I looked at the snack cakes. You may wanna try online stores that could ship you cases (the dang things don't go bad so you could enjoy that case for YEARS if you rationed it out ;)).

LBC, I saw Boo Berry at Target a month ago or so, it was noteworthy because it's my least-favorite flavor of the bunch. ;)

As for Tricon Global, they've changed their name to "Yum! Brands Inc" though nobody told the KFC website where it still says and links to the old name/site. :D They bought out A&W Restaurants (but not the soda itself) and Long John Silvers. It looks like you are almost right about Tricon (now Yum), they split from Pepsico, though it appears Pepsi is still pulling the strings and most of Tricon's execs are Pepsi insiders and have apparently given a lot of supposedly-underhanded sweetheart deals to Pepsi (Cadbury/7-up is suing because of said deals). Apparently also, when Pepsi officially owned Tricon, Coke was able to say to Tricon-competitor chains "do you really want to buy your fountain product from your chief competition like KFC and Taco Bell?" and it worked well, so Pepsi supposedly wanted to look more separate from Tricon.

Beast
08-15-2002, 04:55 AM
God, I was raised with Count Chocula/FrankenBerry, and Boo Berry also. I was really upset when the stores quit selling it for some odd reason. Luckily like JT said, I have found a few places that still carry it so I can get my fix. Boo Berry was always my favorite, and was also the hardest to find.

On the topic of the monster cereals, anyone remember the other flavors that have long since gone away. Fruity Yummy Mummy was pretty horrific, but there was also Fruit Wolf back in the olden days. Ahh, memories. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
08-15-2002, 06:27 AM
Count Chocula is hard to find? Weird, I could've sworn it was all over here. :confused:

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but does anyone remember the Batman cereal? I remember actually enjoying that, and getting a cheap Batmobile toy out of one box. :D

icatch9
08-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Just a quick note, I've seen The Simpsons cereal and the Star Wars cereal at Big Lots lately. If you don't know Big Lots is a discount close out store. They get the stuff no one else wants :). So, check them out if you want those cereals.

Beast
08-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Oh, my bad LTBasker. I meant to say that FrankenBerry and Boo Berry are hard to find. Count Chocula never really quit being sold, but the others did. Infact it's even harder to find Boo Berry in most areas then it is to find FrankenBerry. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TylerD
08-15-2002, 06:58 PM
I metioned Batman in my above post about breakfast food LT Basker...I can still remember the last time I ate it......and that was about 12 years ago!

RooJay
08-19-2002, 02:32 PM
RooJay, I can't be 100% sure they're still on shelves, but they were definitely at the local AM/PM last time I looked at the snack cakes. You may wanna try online stores that could ship you cases (the dang things don't go bad so you could enjoy that case for YEARS if you rationed it out ;)).

Ok, (and I do know of a few online retailers that sell this type of product, though none of them sell Banana Twinkies:( ) just because AM/PM still has them doesn't mean Hostess still makes 'em! Also, just because they don't go bad doesn't mean you should eat 'em!;)

RooJay
08-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Fruit Brute JJB (yes, the brute was a wolf). Boy, was that ever yummy! ;)

Keeping to the topic of discontinued cereals: Does anyone remember Nerds cereal? It was just a simple fruit flavored cereal, seperated into two different (GOOD) flavors down the midde of the box, but it had an amazing texture. It was quite unlike any other cereal before or since! I really miss that stuff and it was so great that I was honestly shocked when it was discontinued! What about Halfsies? A lighter flavored Capt. Crunch shaped like half circles. Strawberry Shortcake and Orange Blossom (what's not to love about orange flavored cereal?)? C-3PO's? Yes, I'm the one guy that thought they tasted great...and no just because C-3PO was on the box!

How many people out there remember when Crispy Critters, and Alpha Bits tasted good? Way back before THE MAN decided that good tasting, sweetened cereal was only slightly less evil than the devil. Remember when it was called Super Sugar Crisp (Long live Sugar Bear!)? How about the golden age before everything, even breakfast cereal, had to be "extreme" and Trix actually tasted good and wasn't shaped like jagged, pointy, rock-hard fruits? Ahh...the good old days!

I'd also like to state that I really wish KFC would just add Popcorn Chicken to their regular menu. It's probably the best thing on their menu when they have it, and is almost certainly the most popular (I've been to several different KFC's on several different occasions when they have it, and been told that the location had run out of it!). Popcorn Chicken has been back (for a limited time!) so many times in the last year that they may as well just keep it around permanently anyway!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-19-2002, 10:18 PM
More forgotten cereals:

Dunkin Donuts -- Does anyone remember this cereal? The only thing that I remember is the fact dunkin' donuts put out a cereal.

O-Jay's (I think that was the name, had a cowboy with a lasso pictured on the box) basically it was an orange fruit loop cereal.

Bill n' Ted's cereal -- If I remember correctly it was like Alpha Bits with marshmellow.

Quaker O's -- Donut shaped cereal chock-full of oatty goodness.

KaBoom (with a funny little clown on the box)-- funny story about this one. I was raised on a farm until I hit 7 years old. From what I understand now (but never knew), our family qualified for and received government assitance in the form of food handouts (powdered milk and all but no food stamps or welfare checks). Kaboom was a cereal that we got vouchers for.

Luckily, our fortunes have changed and now we can pick out our own cereal.

JediTricks
08-19-2002, 11:02 PM

Ok, (and I do know of a few online retailers that sell this type of product, though none of them sell Banana Twinkies:( ) just because AM/PM still has them doesn't mean Hostess still makes 'em! Also, just because they don't go bad doesn't mean you should eat 'em!;) Well, I know for a fact they were a recent thing because all the stores had them at the same time recently. I'll try to remember to see if they still do, but I rarely go there right now since the auto is out of commission for the time being.

Two of the reasons they don't go bad are 2 of the reasons I don't eat Twinkies anymore:
- They contain a bunch of chemicals that have more shelf-life than some uranium.
- They are full of a saturated fat that helps preserve them - saturated fats are fats made up of fat molecules that have all their hydrogen atoms allowing for virtually no stray bacteria or other unpleasantness to attach itself, thus saturated fats have 100 times the shelf-life of unsaturated fats... unfortunately, the saturated fats in Twinkies are cow fat ("beef tallow") and/or pig fat ("lard") which has no place in MY snack treats! :crazed:

I once ate an entire box of Strawberry Shortcake cereal as a kid and then went on a VERY short car ride (I used to get carsick as a kid) and barfed bright pink in a gas station trash can for nearly 10 minutes.

I still like Kix and a few other "basic" cereals, but I would much rather have "Oops! All Chocolate Donuts" or hopefully some day "Oops! All Lucky Charms Marshmallows". :D (Lucky Charms actually put out a cupcake kit with frosting and a bag of JUST their marshmallows with it, I was VERY tempted ;))

LBC, they still make Quaker Os! They're really good. I miss Nintendo cereal, with SMB on one side and Zelda on the other. That was a good cereal!

RooJay
08-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Two of the reasons they don't go bad are 2 of the reasons I don't eat Twinkies anymore:
- They contain a bunch of chemicals that have more shelf-life than some uranium.
- They are full of a saturated fat that helps preserve them - saturated fats are fats made up of fat molecules that have all their hydrogen atoms allowing for virtually no stray bacteria or other unpleasantness to attach itself, thus saturated fats have 100 times the shelf-life of unsaturated fats... unfortunately, the saturated fats in Twinkies are cow fat ("beef tallow") and/or pig fat ("lard") which has no place in MY snack treats! :crazed:

YUM!

RooJay
08-21-2002, 06:54 PM
More forgotten cereals:

Dunkin Donuts -- Does anyone remember this cereal? The only thing that I remember is the fact dunkin' donuts put out a cereal.

O-Jay's (I think that was the name, had a cowboy with a lasso pictured on the box) basically it was an orange fruit loop cereal.

I certainly remember Dunkin' Donuts cereal! They came in chocolate and powdered sugar flavor! Now that's what I call a healthy breakfast (probably why we can't still find them in supermarkets!). I eventually came to realize how strange it was that we had Dunkin' Donuts cereal out my way when I finally learned that there were real Dunkin' Donuts stores! We never have had them here before, or since (If they're half as good as Krispy Kreme, I'm doubly disappointed!).

O-Jay's were great too! Thanks for helping me remember what they were called!

stormie
08-21-2002, 07:11 PM
Though it's definitely not a discontinued cereal, I still remember the drunken giddiness I felt when they came out with Cookie Crisp cereal. I was in total gleeful disbelief that they would make a cereal consisting entirely of chocolate chip cookies. I mean, that's like just about every kid's dream come true! (well, except for those kids with, like disabilities, or no homes, and junk) ;)

Patient Zero
08-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Could someone please tell me why the sell Booberry in PA but not in NJ. What is up with that?

stormie
08-21-2002, 07:25 PM
If you ate Booberry, isn't that like ghost cannibalism or something? Yeah, it's just cereal and not real ghosts, but still, kinda weird and icky.

:D

RooJay
08-21-2002, 09:46 PM
Hey stormie, do you remember (guess it'd depend on how old you are...) the other flavors of Cookie Crisp? Sugar Cookie and Peanut Butter? The Sugar Cookie was always my favorite! I was highly disappointed when they stopped producing them.

TheFrankEinstein
08-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Man oh man, I had some Dunkin Donuts cereal for a couple of weeks back in the late eighties and NO CEREAL has lived up to its legend since. I am a hollow man, without delicious Dunkin Donuts cereal.

As for Boo Berry and the rest, as far as I can figure, at least around here, it's a seasonal thing. Around Halloween, Wal-Mart seems to have huge islands of Boo Berry (whereas Count Chocula and Frankenberry are stocked year-round). And, I hate to re-re-correct (especially as uncertain as I am), but I believe the retired monster cereal was Orange Brutes. I never had it myself, but a box of it makes an appearance in a Quentin Tarantino movie every now and again (in Mr. Orange's apartment in Reservoir Dogs, for one). I'm not certain about this, obviously, and "Fruit Bruits" sounds more logical, I'm only passing along what I've heard.

And the Simpson's cereal hasn't been in very short supply around here, from what I understand. Bart Simpson Peanut Butter whatever wasn't anything to crow about, it was basically Peanut Butter Crunch or Reese's Puffs.

Anyone notice the sort of generic Chex shape that companies seem to dig out whenever they want to make a quick buck off of licensed cereal? There were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ninja Nets and Spiderman Webs (both just corn Chex, basically, with marshmallows, the newer Spider-Man movie cereal isn't the same thing).

And I don't remember the Batman cereal too cleary, wasn't it basically Cap'n Crunch shaped like bats? And I don't remember McDonalds' Batman burger at all, would anyone care to refresh my memory as to what it was?

And finally, Mr. T cereal was as tough as the man himself. It pities the cereal that don't tear the crap out of the roof of your mouth. Plus it makes an appearance in A Better Tomorrow 2, and any cereal that's good enough for Chow Yun-fat and John Woo is good enough for me.

Patient Zero
08-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by stormie
If you ate Booberry, isn't that like ghost cannibalism or something? Yeah, it's just cereal and not real ghosts, but still, kinda weird and icky.

:D

Why, yes. Yes I am a cannibal.:D

stormie
08-22-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey stormie, do you remember (guess it'd depend on how old you are...) the other flavors of Cookie Crisp? Sugar Cookie and Peanut Butter? The Sugar Cookie was always my favorite! I was highly disappointed when they stopped producing them.

I definitely remember (yes, quite old enough!) the sugar cookie flavor (it was pretty darned good too, and it had the word "sugar" in the name!), but not the peanut butter. The chocolate chip was always my favorite. I mean, it had chocolate chips in it, for cryin' out loud! Chocolate chips....for breakfast! :D

RooJay
08-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
Man oh man, I had some Dunkin Donuts cereal for a couple of weeks back in the late eighties and NO CEREAL has lived up to its legend since. I am a hollow man, without delicious Dunkin Donuts cereal.

With a breakfast of powdered donuts in milk, how could anyone go wrong? Why is this stuff still not around? I think I'll start a protest; it's my body, and I'll eat whatever I want for breakfast, even if it has "sugar" in the name!

...I believe the retired monster cereal was Orange Brutes. I never had it myself, but a box of it makes an appearance in a Quentin Tarantino movie every now and again (in Mr. Orange's apartment in Reservoir Dogs, for one). I'm not certain about this, obviously, and "Fruit Bruits" sounds more logical, I'm only passing along what I've heard.

You're right, this cereal does make an appearance in Pulp Fiction...where it is clearly labeled "Fruit Brute". This seems like a good time to mention that the new Pulp Fiction special edition DVD is now available! Check it out! By the way, I have had it, and it was pretty good according to my recollection.

Anyone notice the sort of generic Chex shape that companies seem to dig out whenever they want to make a quick buck off of licensed cereal? There were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ninja Nets and Spiderman Webs (both just corn Chex, basically, with marshmallows, the newer Spider-Man movie cereal isn't the same thing).

I've always thought that was pretty funny myself! They're "ninja nets", NO, "spider webs", NO...

...I don't remember McDonalds' Batman burger at all, would anyone care to refresh my memory as to what it was?

They made a Batman burger?! When was this? How did I miss out?

And finally, Mr. T cereal was as tough as the man himself. It pities the cereal that don't tear the crap out of the roof of your mouth.

Too funny! ...and all too true!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Hostess brought back their chocolate pudding pies a few months ago. I actually asked an employee about a year ago at a Hostess Outlet why they discontinued them, and she stated that there was a lot of waste in the production of them. But now they are back.

Now if only they can get vanilla on board then I would be all set.

CaptainSolo1138
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
That's fantastic news, LBC. I will be on the look out for them. While you're pining for vanilla, I'll add the fact that I'm bitter about them not making Boston Cream ones anymore.

JimJamBonds
07-19-2007, 10:42 PM
All food is limited edition.

Beast
07-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Ah, this thread is a blast from the past...

I'm going to miss Summer Mix Pepsi once the summer is over.

Nothing better than Pepsi mixed with Tropical Skittles. :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Nothing better than Pepsi mixed with Tropical Skittles. :D
I bet your dentist would argue that!:D

I went to Taco Bell about two months ago and orded my usual Code Red Mountain Dew and was informed that they no longer carry it. To make it an even bigger "WTF?!" moment, she continues, "But we have root beer now." How is that a replacement for Code Red?! Even more disturbing is that they got rid of Code Red but retained the Baja Blast MD, which tastes like lime urine sounds like it would.

Beast
07-19-2007, 11:36 PM
No way, the Baja Blast is awesome. :p

CaptainSolo1138
07-19-2007, 11:45 PM
No way, the Baja Blast is awesome. :p
You are honestly the first person I've ever heard say they liked it. I don't know. The two times I had it it seemed water down or flat or wonky otherwise. There just seems to be something off about it.

2-1B
07-19-2007, 11:49 PM
That chicken cheddar bacon BBQ sub at SubWay is Limited....I tried it, it wasn't that good (the chicken is all slimy and effed up) but I DO appreciate its presence on the menu because it means there's a bottle of BBQ sauce at the ready for my Oven Roasted Chicken breast Sub.

Of course, nothing beats a combo of Yellow AND Honey Mustards on a sub but BBQ is a nice deviation once in awhile.

Also on a somewhat related topic, out of the 25 or so :p SubWays that I have access to, I've only noticed one that offers the Taco Sub. That's a curious concoction right there, and one of which I am a fan. That Sour Cream bottle is a blessing.

I'm hungry.

EDIT: Just saw Caps' post, seriously dude I LOVE Baja Blast !!! I don't drink regular soda anymore, so I waved goodbye, but I loved it back in the day...

CaptainSolo1138
07-19-2007, 11:52 PM
GAH! Has the world gone mad?! First it's the porno police and now it's Baja Blast lovers infiltrating the boards?!

Beast
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Screw Subways. Jimmy John's all the way. But you already know that. :D

bigbarada
07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
I love Baja Blast, that stuff rocks! I just wonder why they never sell it bottled?

Anybody try the new Pepsi Summer Mix or Diet Pepsi Max? The Summer Mix is terrible, too sugary; but the Max stuff isn't too bad in small amounts.

Beast
07-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I love Baja Blast, that stuff rocks! I just wonder why they never sell it bottled?

Anybody try the new Pepsi Summer Mix or Diet Pepsi Max? The Summer Mix is terrible, too sugary; but the Max stuff isn't too bad in small amounts.
They can't. Exclusive formulation for Taco Bell only. Which sucks. :(

And like I said above, I love the Summer Mix. Pepsi + Skittles! :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-20-2007, 12:35 AM
All food is limited edition.

And all you do is rent beer.

bigbarada
07-20-2007, 12:57 AM

And like I said above, I love the Summer Mix. Pepsi + Skittles! :D

Well, the first time I tried Pepsi Summer Mix was in a bottle and it wasn't too bad, but then I tried it again from a can and I thought it was terrible. So maybe I just have to try it from a bottle again.

TeeEye7
07-20-2007, 01:11 AM
And all you do is rent beer.

I'm renting right now! :thumbsup:

May not be any eviction any time soon....it's been hot today!

RooJay
07-20-2007, 01:42 AM
That chicken cheddar bacon BBQ sub at SubWay is Limited....I tried it, it wasn't that good (the chicken is all slimy and effed up) but I DO appreciate its presence on the menu because it means there's a bottle of BBQ sauce at the ready for my Oven Roasted Chicken breast Sub.

Of course, nothing beats a combo of Yellow AND Honey Mustards on a sub but BBQ is a nice deviation once in awhile.

Also on a somewhat related topic, out of the 25 or so :p SubWays that I have access to, I've only noticed one that offers the Taco Sub. That's a curious concoction right there, and one of which I am a fan. That Sour Cream bottle is a blessing.

I'm hungry.

EDIT: Just saw Caps' post, seriously dude I LOVE Baja Blast !!! I don't drink regular soda anymore, so I waved goodbye, but I loved it back in the day...

I seriously do not recommend eating at Subway to anyone (and I used to be one to eat there every day!) I got horribly sick (from both ends!) the last time I ate there. In fact, I even warned a friend against it just a while back and he went anyway. He was so sick he had to miss the Ratatouille wrap party. Though when the producers heard about it, they actually sent him to the premiere in hollywood! What did I get for trying to warn him? Nothing! How's that fair?!

What's this I hear about Pepsi summer mix, now? Somehow that one slipped by me; is it still available?
Speaking of sody pop - anyone else here enjoying Coca-Cola Blak? I know it probably wasn't intended to be a limited edition flavor, but unfortunately since I seem to be the only person who enjoys it, it looks like they might be phasing it out. Anyone know for sure? I suppose I can always take my Coke with a shot of espresso...

bigbarada
07-20-2007, 01:53 AM
I seriously do not recommend eating at Subway to anyone (and I used to be one to eat there every day!) I got horribly sick (from both ends!) the last time I ate there. In fact, I even warned a friend against it just a while back and he went anyway. He was so sick he had to miss the Ratatouille wrap party. Though when the producers heard about it, they actually sent him to the premiere in hollywood! What did I get for trying to warn him? Nothing! How's that fair?!

What's this I hear about Pepsi summer mix, now? Somehow that one slipped by me; is it still available?
Speaking of sody pop - anyone else here enjoying Coca-Cola Blak? I know it probably wasn't intended to be a limited edition flavor, but unfortunately since I seem to be the only person who enjoys it, it looks like they might be phasing it out. Anyone know for sure? I suppose I can always take my Coke with a shot of espresso...

I liked Coke Black, I just got tired of paying for it. It was too expensive for the size of the drink.

I really miss that Pitch Black Mountain Dew, it had kind of a sour grape flavoring to it and it was awesome. Unfortunately, it looks like LiveWire is about to go away too, so we'll just be left with regular Mountain Dew and that crappy Code Red stuff.

Does anyone remember a Pepsi Blue, or something like that? I remember buying A LOT of it around 2002, but then it vanished and I've never seen it again. It was great, I thought. Too bad nobody else seemed to like it.

figrin bran
07-20-2007, 02:12 AM
GAH! Has the world gone mad?! First it's the porno police and now it's Baja Blast lovers infiltrating the boards?!

Add one more to the ranks, CS.

Baja Blast (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/BajaBlast1.jpg)
rocks!!!!! :thumbsup:

I've never tried Pepsi Summer Mix but I think I might like it!

CaptainSolo1138
07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Jimmy John's all the way. But you already know that. :DYou're still in Saginaw, right Beast? Has the one on Court and Michigan gotten any better? For some reason their subs always seemed slimy to me compared to the other Jimmy John's. Kinda like how the OLD Taco Bell on Bay Rd. (in front of the bowling alley) always seemed to use rotten tomatoes on their stuff.

Beast
07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
You're still in Saginaw, right Beast? Has the one on Court and Michigan gotten any better? For some reason their subs always seemed slimy to me compared to the other Jimmy John's. Kinda like how the OLD Taco Bell on Bay Rd. (in front of the bowling alley) always seemed to use rotten tomatoes on their stuff.
Yep, still in Saginaw. You? And no clue, I avoid that one like the plague.

Much like you, I had a bad experience with an order from them.

Thankfully I'm right on the delivery edge for the Bay Road one. :D

And yeah, that Taco Bell sucked. Thankfully it closed and it's a Quiznos now.

CaptainSolo1138
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Yep, still in Saginaw. You?We moved to Mt. Pleasant two and a half years ago, but we've both still got family there. As a matter of fact, we're going to spend the day in tourist-trap ville tomorrow (Frankenmuth).

And yeah, that Taco Bell sucked. Thankfully it closed and it's a Quiznos now.THAT'S what they put in! I could not remember for the life of me what went in there! Thanks.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 12:28 AM
I went to Taco Bell about two months ago and orded my usual Code Red Mountain Dew and was informed that they no longer carry it. To make it an even bigger "WTF?!" moment, she continues, "But we have root beer now." How is that a replacement for Code Red?! Even more disturbing is that they got rid of Code Red but retained the Baja Blast MD, which tastes like lime urine sounds like it would.I was just going to say that, who says "no Code Red, but here's root beer!"?!? It's like saying "we're all out of pizza, but here's some delicious pickled herring."

Also on a somewhat related topic, out of the 25 or so :p SubWays that I have access to, I've only noticed one that offers the Taco Sub. That's a curious concoction right there, and one of which I am a fan. That Sour Cream bottle is a blessing.Never heard of it, what is? The reason Subways aren't all the same is because they're a franchise operation and have certain leeways with "local favorites" menus. I was in one yesterday where I asked for a sticker to differentiate my sub from someone else's, I get these all the time at others, but this guy had NO clue what I was talking about.

Subway, by the way, always tastes better after marinating in vinegar for at least 30 mins (well, for cold sandwiches anyway).

CaptainSolo1138
07-23-2007, 06:56 AM
I was just going to say that, who says "no Code Red, but here's root beer!"?!? It's like saying "we're all out of pizza, but here's some delicious pickled herring."You're exactly right. I don't know if she was mentally challenged or if the phrase just came out wrong, but I stared at the order box for a solid fifteen seconds trying to wrap my head around the stupidity that had just poured from it.

stillakid
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Subway, by the way, always tastes better after marinating in vinegar for at least 30 mins (well, for cold sandwiches anyway).

Why would you marinate yourself in vinegar? :confused:

2-1B
07-23-2007, 07:22 PM

The best of both worlds is porn in which the "actresses" drink Baja Blast.

Max is fine but I don't really get the point of having double the caffeine ? :confused:

No offense but that's about the silliest advice one can give when talking about eateries. Maybe you can say that about a particular store or stretch of stores in your area, but to warn against a whole chain is pretty weak. Just in my area, there are some SubWays I steer clear of and others that I would feel comfortable eating off the floor. :D

You can say that about pretty much any chain of food.

Ask Jim Jam about the difference in two different Dairy Queens we visited a few weeks back. lol

Never heard of it, what is?

It's pretty simple, just a beef based taco meat that they have on heat and they scoop it into the bread...and you can put whatever you want on it. I usually go for the same 7 veggies and 2 sauces regardless of what kind of meat I get, but for the taco I scaled back to only lettuce, tomato, black olives, and pickles. And of course the aforementioned sour cream.

The reason Subways aren't all the same is because they're a franchise operation and have certain leeways with "local favorites" menus. I was in one yesterday where I asked for a sticker to differentiate my sub from someone else's, I get these all the time at others, but this guy had NO clue what I was talking about.

Absolutely, I'm just surprised that no other store in that town co-opts the taco option.

As for the stickers, I hear you on that as well...just depends on the franchisee and what they are willing to cover as overhead.

I can't say I share your opinion for two reasons:

1) Vinegar is nasty. :p
2) I won't really eat a Sub from there if it's not toasted. I gotta go toasted or the quality is SEVERELY compromised...

Kidhuman
07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
BigB, I have tried the Diet Pepsi MAx and I enjoy it. Helps wake me up in the morning. Drinking one now as a matter o fact. Ginseng and 2x Caffine isnt so bad.

I just let some limited edition food go. It was limited in my gut overnight and then released.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I just let some limited edition food go. It was limited in my gut overnight and then released.

You are a kind soul KH. Were you kind to your fellow housemates in remembering the courtesy flush?

Kidhuman
07-24-2007, 09:28 PM
No courtesy flushes, You must smell what I smell.

Lord Malakite
07-25-2007, 03:39 AM
You're right, this cereal does make an appearance in Pulp Fiction...where it is clearly labeled "Fruit Brute".

I think Fruit Brute was one of the few monster flavors to be discontinued (though Franken Berry and Boo Berry might as well be with as difficult as they are to find today). Personally I prefer Boo Berry out of the bunch. The only other one I can think of that was completely discontinued is Yummy Mummy. Yummy Mummy was more or less Fruit Brute with vanilla marshmallows instead of lime marshmallows.

Then Taco Bell should start selling exclusive Baja Blast 2 Liters over the counter. :D At least one of the Pizza Huts in my area does that with pop for takeout orders (or at least they did the last time I was there, its been awhile since I've been there).

mabudonicus
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Did someone just admit to likin olives on a freakin TACO??

I sure hope not, a sir has GOT to take more care than that

:beard: Iso & Baws

Why not just add some marshmallows and octopus tentacles just to make SURE it's completely inedible

Beast
07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Black olives on mexican food is awesome. What are you talking about?

JediTricks
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Why would you marinate yourself in vinegar? :confused:'Cause I'm a big dou... wait, I don't like where that just went. :p

It's pretty simple, just a beef based taco meat that they have on heat and they scoop it into the bread...and you can put whatever you want on it. I usually go for the same 7 veggies and 2 sauces regardless of what kind of meat I get, but for the taco I scaled back to only lettuce, tomato, black olives, and pickles. And of course the aforementioned sour cream. Hmm, interesting. Sounds messy though, I don't like loose meat or meatballs falling out of the bread, I have a hard enough time keeping the regular sandwiches together as it is.

Absolutely, I'm just surprised that no other store in that town co-opts the taco option.Yeah, makes sense someone else would. Maybe it's limited. :p

I can't say I share your opinion for two reasons:

1) Vinegar is nasty. :p
2) I won't really eat a Sub from there if it's not toasted. I gotta go toasted or the quality is SEVERELY compromised...I love vinegar, tastes great and no sodium, it really brings out the flavor of other foods.

I don't care for toasted most of the time, it tastes good but it changes the dynamics of the food and makes it difficult to enjoy if you don't eat it right away.

Did someone just admit to likin olives on a freakin TACO??

Black olives on mexican food is awesome. What are you talking about?On enchiladas, yes; on tacos... not really. Sounds very '60s white American family "taco night" version. ;)

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
On enchiladas, yes; on tacos... not really.
But always- ALWAYS -on nachos.

JediTricks
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
But always- ALWAYS -on nachos.
Whoa! Not I. But I am real simple with nachos: chips, cheese (sauce), jalapenos. Everything else is in the way as far as I'm concerned, ESPECIALLY the damn beef which Taco Bell smothers their nachos in.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Whoa! Not I. But I am real simple with nachos: chips, cheese (sauce), jalapenos. Everything else is in the way as far as I'm concerned, ESPECIALLY the damn beef which Taco Bell smothers their nachos in.
Black olives, lettuce and sour cream are a MUST on any good nachos, IMO.

Lord Malakite
07-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Black olives, lettuce and sour cream are a MUST on any good nachos, IMO.

Yes, that does sound good smothered with all those extras, especially if you also threw in some refried beans and meat. At that point though I wouldn't be calling it nachos. My high school and college had a similar meal every once in a while. They both called it a taco salad.

Kidhuman
07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
You need some refried beans on the Nachos with tomatoes, Sour Cream and cheese sauce. The rest is just fodder for me.

CaptainSolo1138
07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree that beans must be on any good order of nachos but they need to be moderated. All jokes about gas aside, I think tons of refried beans ruin anything, be it tacos, nachos or burritos.

RooJay
07-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Thing is, they don't actually use black olives on a lot of foods in Mexico. Matter of fact, most of what they sell at Taco Bell you couldn't even find in Mexico.

mabudonicus
07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I must agree, for "hot" nachos, black olives are good, but on just "nachos 'n dip/salsa" they are unnecessary

On tacos and burritoes, as RooJay states, I am shooting more for a proper Mexican presentation- if I want a profusion of olives, I'll make a Greek salad or something like that, which will showcase the olives properly (Feta cheese makes black olives SO much better, if you haven't tried it, you should). The rather delicate taste of Black olives would be totally "disappeared"- better to use celery or some such thing, as at least the texture would shine, and the taste would be better able to compete/compliment it

To me, corn would also be an acceptable ingredient, but NOT black olives, or green ones for that matter

Speaking of olives, anyone here like them oil-cured, "dry" ones? they're almost bitter but kinda salty at the same time, you cxan't eat too many of 'em but they are AWESOME- I keep forgetting I have some in the fridge- hopefully by posting this here, it'll make a mental current which will lead to me chowing down on the things later on
:beard: Iso & Baws
It really is true, it always comes back to the Nachos

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2007, 12:44 AM
My family actually inherited an olive farm back in the homeland years ago. No one wanted to claim it so I assumed it was confiscated and resold. Also heard from my grandparents that black olives are more lucrative than green which lead to a farmer painting his green olives black with shoe polish and shipping them over to America. Speaking of which, I never see black olives on tacos.

BTW, I stopped at the Hostess Store today (what can I say, I am a healthy eater) and saw Strawberry Fruit Pies. Kinda a first for Hostess in awhile I think.

CaptainSolo1138
07-27-2007, 06:46 AM
BTW, I stopped at the Hostess Store today (what can I say, I am a healthy eater) and saw Strawberry Fruit Pies. Kinda a first for Hostess in awhile I think.Those are always available here. I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST them. They're like Krusty the Klown's cereal in that, "They're so good, your teeth will hurt for hours!" They're sugary, sweet, pink nastiness.

JediTricks
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
You people with your lettuce and beans and meat on your nachos make me sad for the future of nachokind. You're just building tostadas and you don't even know it. In 20 years, kids won't even know that delicious yellow cheese sauce is supposed to be on those things. :p

I'm with Cappy on the Strawberry Fruit Pies. I love the Cherry, Apple, and Lemon ones, but Strawberry ones are so little related to their fruit that it's creepy - it's like someone poured a jar of cheap glaze into a pastry shell.

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm with Cappy on the Strawberry Fruit Pies. I love the Cherry, Apple, and Lemon ones, but Strawberry ones are so little related to their fruit that it's creepy - it's like someone poured a jar of cheap glaze into a pastry shell.

I feel a similar way about anything with Raspberry filling. I love raspberries, but the filling tastes so different that you can't even remotely sense where they got the flavor from.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2007, 08:30 AM
You people with your lettuce and beans and meat on your nachos make me sad for the future of nachokind. You're just building tostadas and you don't even know it. In 20 years, kids won't even know that delicious yellow cheese sauce is supposed to be on those things. :pThe cheese sauce remains the vital component to any good plate of nachos, though, even when there's veggies and meat on them. It's gotta be a regional thing, because it's impossible to get a plate of nachos here that does not have some combination of lettuce, tomato, black olives, onions, sour cream and green peppers.

I love the Cherry, Apple, and Lemon ones, but Strawberry ones are so little related to their fruit that it's creepy - it's like someone poured a jar of cheap glaze into a pastry shell.Ick. I saw one on a cake rack last night and nearly gagged. Said gag was counteracted by seeing a glorious Hostess Chocolate pie on the next shelf up.

DarthQuack
08-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Has anyone else besides myself tried those new Doritos? I think it's like X-13D or something....comes in a black bag, like a new experiment brand....odd thing is they taste like Big Macs......interesting taste.....and oh yea, can they bring back Crystal Pepsi already? :thumbsup:

figrin bran
08-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Has anyone else besides myself tried those new Doritos? I think it's like X-13D or something....comes in a black bag, like a new experiment brand....odd thing is they taste like Big Macs......interesting taste.....and oh yea, can they bring back Crystal Pepsi already? :thumbsup:

Yes, I've tried those Doritos and thought they tasted like cheeseburgers.

Kidhuman
08-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I wanna try em now. Cheesburger Doritios, yummy

figrin bran
08-05-2007, 01:11 AM

I'm not sure if those Doritos are still in the stores but they were really good KH!

Tycho
08-05-2007, 04:49 AM
I buy the Transformers Stackers-snackers!

They're cool. I collected all the Autobot and Decepticon toy surprises but I gave the complete set to my friend.

I had BumbleBee, Optimus Prime, Ironhide, Starscream, Megatron, and Blackout.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 11:57 PM
The cheese sauce remains the vital component to any good plate of nachos, though, even when there's veggies and meat on them. It's gotta be a regional thing, because it's impossible to get a plate of nachos here that does not have some combination of lettuce, tomato, black olives, onions, sour cream and green peppers. Geez, you making nachos or a pizza??? I dig nearly everything mentioned there, but on nachos it's like a waste of chips and cheese and jalapenos. And yeah, can't find a lot of nachos in town that don't load them with that stuff. But at least you're talking whole ingredients, I hate when someone dumps watery mushy salsa on nachos, that's the worst.

Yes, I've tried those Doritos and thought they tasted like cheeseburgers.
I'm not sure if those Doritos are still in the stores but they were really good KH!Dude, what the heck??? I put off getting those because the gimmick was too goofy, now it turns out they're a fairly normal flavor? Weird! I think my local stores have some old ones left over, I'll have to check that out. I'm still digging on the Habanero flavored ones, they're not the generic "fiery" flavor but they've got that level of heat.

Crystal Pepsi forever!!!

I buy the Transformers Stackers-snackers!

They're cool. I collected all the Autobot and Decepticon toy surprises but I gave the complete set to my friend.

I had BumbleBee, Optimus Prime, Ironhide, Starscream, Megatron, and Blackout.Dude, you should have at least made her give back the Bumblebee one when she got another at the Hasbro booth. :p Those toys are kinda not toys, it's like they took the packaging tray and molded it into a fold-out key.

CaptainSolo1138
08-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Yes, I've tried those Doritos and thought they tasted like cheeseburgers.They are, in fact, cheeseburger flavored. Not only did I look it up on the internets as a sort of confirmation, but if you look at the ingredients it's all but a dead giveaway.

Once came to that end, all I could taste was mustard and could no longer stomach more than a couple at a time.

RooJay
08-08-2007, 08:58 AM
They are, in fact, cheeseburger flavored. Not only did I look it up on the internets as a sort of confirmation, but if you look at the ingredients it's all but a dead giveaway.

Once came to that end, all I could taste was mustard and could no longer stomach more than a couple at a time.

Do I assume the ingredients read: Hamburgers, cheese, buns?

2-1B
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM

A friend of mine said the EXACT same thing...he can't stand the mustard flavor.

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I picked up a new flavor of Doritos yesterday, it's under a new subline called "Collisions" - the idea being there are 2 flavors of chip in 1 bag, but they're separate flavors. The one I got was Hot Wings and Blue Cheese, and while the wings flavor wasn't quite there, the Blue Cheese was dead-on! It doesn't say "limited" but I'll bet you it is.

Skittles has a new limited flavor as well, carnival foods.

Beast
08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Hot Wings and blue cheese chips mixed together. Brilliant. :D

And ooo, new Skittles. I'll have to be on the lookout for them. ;)

Kidhuman
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I saw those Doritos, but didnt have any cash on me to get them and wasnt using my check card to buy them. You bet your a** I will buy them tomorrow when I get paid though.

figrin bran
08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Hot Wings and Blue Cheese? You bet your a*# I'll buy them too!

not too sure about carnival foods skittles... candy that tastes like funnel cakes????

Beast
08-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Apperantly the flavors in the bag are...

Cotton Candy (Blue), Bubble Gum (Pink), Candy Apple (Yellow), Red Licorice (Red), and Green Slushy (Green), which I guess is supposed to taste like mountain dew.

2-1B
08-16-2007, 12:55 AM
That's a pretty tasty looking lineup, Beast !

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 02:11 AM
How is it nobody's made Mountain Dew-flavored candy before? It's such a phoney flavor that it should be perfect for candy! Granted, it'd be different without carbonation (Dr Pepper candy is super nasty due to that!) but I bet it'd translate.

The key to the Hot Wings/Blue Cheese chips is that the blue cheese chips work great 1 at a time, but the hot wings chips need like 2 or 3 at a time to carry that flavor character across, so if you want to mix them it's gotta be a ratio of like 3 to 1, then they work really well together.

RooJay
08-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Those carnival flavor Skittles are pretty rank. The candy apple and red licorice aren't too bad, but the green slushy (even after eating them I'm at a loss to imagine what a 'green slushy' tastes like) and the cotton candy and bubble gum flavors are thoroughly vomit inducing.

CaptainSolo1138
08-16-2007, 07:37 AM
The Buffalo/Blue Doritos ar FANTASTIC! My wife picks up a bag for me whenever she goes grocery shopping. I think those have the least "filling" flavor of any Dorito thus far. In fact, the last time RB was over that rat bastard ate half of my bag of them! I highly, highly recommend them.

Kidhuman
08-16-2007, 07:37 AM
YOu talking about the Buffalo and Ranch ones? Those are foods of the Gods. I dont think those are limited though.

CaptainSolo1138
08-16-2007, 07:40 AM
YOu talking about the Buffalo and Ranch ones? Those are foods of the Gods. I dont think those are limited though.
Yeah, Col. Quickresponse, I am. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I didn't read JT's post about the chips being separate flavors good enough.

figrin bran
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
The Buffalo/Blue Doritos ar FANTASTIC! My wife picks up a bag for me whenever she goes grocery shopping. I think those have the least "filling" flavor of any Dorito thus far. In fact, the last time RB was over that rat bastard ate half of my bag of them! I highly, highly recommend them.

your tongue can't repel flavors of that magnitude! :D

CaptainSolo1138
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
your tongue can't repel flavors of that magnitude! :D
Ackbar-itos are a great idea, FB!

figrin bran
08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not too sure about seafood flavored doritos though.

Mainly, I was just looking for an excuse to post that line! :p

Beast
08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
They should do Doritoes Combinations.... Zesty Taco and Lime Margarita. :D

figrin bran
08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
They should do Doritoes Combinations.... Zesty Taco and Lime Margarita. :D

That would rock!

Frito Lay oughta hire us as consultants!

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
The Collisions are Hot Wings and Blue Cheese - not Ranch, they use ranch like a blunt instrument, these are something finer.

They should do Doritoes Combinations.... Zesty Taco and Lime Margarita. :DYou wouldn't say that if you had tasted their Zesty Taco/Chipotle Ranch ones, I just did, total snore. Booze is a tough flavor to carry through too artificially, but I like the idea of the lime part.

Beast
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
The booze taste isn't really necessary to the equation. Just make the second chips taste like that lime margarita mix that you can buy. That carries most of the flavor in the margaritas anyway. It should come out tasting pretty good. :)

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 12:58 AM
No way, you gotta have booze flavor or else it's just not right. Booze flavor is what makes Tequila Habanero salsa at Trader Joes unique from... well, everything else they got in the salsa department.

Lord Malakite
08-17-2007, 02:51 AM
No way, you gotta have booze flavor or else it's just not right.

I just had an idea. How about limited edition booze flavored cereal?:D

Some possible names for the new creation.

Beerios
Boozeberry
Nuts N' Barley
Drunkenjacks
Cap'n Coors
Champagne Toddy Crunch
Liquer Charms
Ferment Loops
Rye Krispies
Arrackx
Rummy Mummy
Frankginberry

We're going to be rich.:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Way too much time on your hands LM. :razz:

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I just had an idea. How about limited edition booze flavored cereal?:D

Some possible names for the new creation.

Beerios
Boozeberry
Nuts N' Barley
Drunkenjacks
Cap'n Coors
Champagne Toddy Crunch
Liquer Charms
Ferment Loops
Rye Krispies
Arrackx
Rummy Mummy
Frankginberry

We're going to be rich.:thumbsup:
That actually turned my stomach a little. I've had booze for breakfast in the past on rare occasion - a great way to ruin a day. Hey, that can be the line's slogan, that or "The Breakfast of Failures" :p

Kidhuman
08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I love beer in teh morning, especially after drinking heavy the night before.

CaptainSolo1138
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I love beer in teh morning, especially after drinking heavy the night before.
Bleech. The only alcohol I actually like in the morning is a GOOD Bloody Mary. If I'm camping or up north otherwise I like to have a beer or four in the morning, but it's basically done on principle rather than enjoyment.

figrin bran
08-19-2007, 09:20 PM
The key to the Hot Wings/Blue Cheese chips is that the blue cheese chips work great 1 at a time, but the hot wings chips need like 2 or 3 at a time to carry that flavor character across, so if you want to mix them it's gotta be a ratio of like 3 to 1, then they work really well together.

I tried these today and the hot wing chips indeed aren't that great 1 at a time. However, it's just too much work to have to look into the bag or bowl and keep thinking "3 to 1 ratio, 3 to 1 ratio". Having to do that just doesn't fit into the "grab and munch" snacking system.

RooJay
08-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Anybody else tried the Mountain Dew Halo 3 Game Fuel flavor? Pretty interesting - sort of tastes like 7-Up with a couple rolls of Smartees disolved in it. The can pegs the flavor as being citrus and cherry. The color is bright, almost flourescent orange, and I'm certain it would glow under a blacklight. Tastes and looks fun, but I'm sure the stuff can't be good for you.:laugh:

Beast
08-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Anybody else tried the Mountain Dew Halo 3 Game Fuel flavor? Pretty interesting - sort of tastes like 7-Up with a couple rolls of Smartees disolved in it. The can pegs the flavor as being citrus and cherry. The color is bright, almost flourescent orange, and I'm certain it would glow under a blacklight. Tastes and looks fun, but I'm sure the stuff can't be good for you.:laugh:
Yep. Been drinking it since it came out. The stuff is great. :D

CaptainSolo1138
08-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I'm sure the stuff can't be good for you.:laugh:Unless you're a dentist, then the stuff is worth a mint to you.

Lord Malakite
08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Anybody else tried the Mountain Dew Halo 3 Game Fuel flavor?
Not yet, but I've been meaning to. The flavor is only supposed to be available for about 12 weeks from what I've heard.

JediTricks
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I tried these today and the hot wing chips indeed aren't that great 1 at a time. However, it's just too much work to have to look into the bag or bowl and keep thinking "3 to 1 ratio, 3 to 1 ratio". Having to do that just doesn't fit into the "grab and munch" snacking system.That kind of snacking is fine for an old horse like Nacho Cheesier or Cool Ranch, but for a sophisticated character like Hot Wings/Blue Cheese, you need to give it your full, undivided attention. :p I found that I wanted to eat the Blue Cheese chips 1 at a time, so the Hot Wings ones were pretty much the odd man out and I could just grab them however.

That Mountain Dew sounds ultra nasty, no surprise it's got a 3 month lifespan, drink any more than that and it'll shred your insides. ;) I know someone who started peeing blood from drinking too much regular Dew, that stuff is caustic - think about it, what would really be that color? Antifreeze. Severely-infected bile. Nuclear waste. These are things that nature colored that way so you would know not to drink them! :D

figrin bran
08-21-2007, 01:27 AM
That kind of snacking is fine for an old horse like Nacho Cheesier or Cool Ranch, but for a sophisticated character like Hot Wings/Blue Cheese, you need to give it your full, undivided attention. :p I found that I wanted to eat the Blue Cheese chips 1 at a time, so the Hot Wings ones were pretty much the odd man out and I could just grab them however.

sophisticated??? these are chips not hors d' oeuvres! :p

JediTricks
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes, that was the joke I was making, very good.

DarthQuack
08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I picked up the Buffalo Wings/Blue Cheese bag and the other chipolte taco ones too.

Kidhuman
08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
The buffalo/blue cheese are ok. Try eating them together, the taste ok. They should be a bit spicier.

El Chuxter
08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Has anyone said, "What's with SLICKER'S MOM?" yet?

Really. I'm too damn lazy to check. But it sounds like it'd be funny if no one's said it.

JediTricks
08-25-2007, 03:21 AM
No, but only because she's not limited, she's going to be around forever.

2-1B
08-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Okay, I saw the Halo Dew in the store today...umm, WTF ? :confused:

El Chuxter
08-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I guess they made a connection between caffeine and people staying up all night playing games?

Kidhuman
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I guess they made a connection between caffeine and people staying up all night playing games?

Rum and Tequila dont help you stay up all night, caffeine is better. :D

Beast
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
*Drags the thread back up*

So has anyone tried the new Mountain Dew 'Dew Mocracy' flavors yet?

“Voltage”, a light blue colored raspberry-citrus and ginseng flavored Dew.
“Revolution”, a clear colored wild berry fruit and ginseng flavored Dew.
Supernova”, a pink colored strawberry, melon, lime, and ginseng flavored Dew.

http://www.dewmocracy.com/overview/default.aspx

JEDIpartner
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I think I've just become afraid of a beverage!!!

Lord Malakite
05-19-2008, 05:45 PM
So has anyone tried the new Mountain Dew 'Dew Mocracy' flavors yet?

“Voltage”, a light blue colored raspberry-citrus and ginseng flavored Dew.
“Revolution”, a clear colored wild berry fruit and ginseng flavored Dew.
Supernova”, a pink colored strawberry, melon, lime, and ginseng flavored Dew.

Are they even out in stores? My impression was that only one of those 3 finalist flavors would be made available in stores (and that would only happen after they declared the official winner of those 3 finalists).

Beast
05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Are they even out in stores? My impression was that only one of those 3 finalist flavors would be made available in stores (and that would only happen after they declared the official winner of those 3 finalists).
Nope. The three finalists are out in stores. Only one will remain afterwards.

Saw all three of them just the other day at Wal-Mart. Didn't grab any yet.

Lord Malakite
05-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Nope. The three finalists are out in stores. Only one will remain afterwards.

Saw all three of them just the other day at Wal-Mart. Didn't grab any yet.

Really? How are they selling them (cans, little bottles, 2-liters, etc.)? Can you get all three flavors together in some sort of variety pack or are they being offered seperately?

Blue2th
05-19-2008, 06:03 PM
As long as they don't come out with limited edition collectors item Halo burgers.

Beast
05-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Really? How are they selling them (cans, little bottles, 2-liters, etc.)? Can you get all three flavors together in some sort of variety pack or are they being offered seperately?
They come in 12 oz. cans and 20 oz bottles. I don't think there's 2-liters.

And they're offered seperately unfortunatly. A variety pack would have been cool.

Lord Malakite
05-19-2008, 07:19 PM
A variety pack would have been cool.
I should really get into the marketing buisness. lol It certainly would have made it easier to taste test the flavors without getting stuck with too many of a flavor you might not like or wasting money on several overpriced 20 oz. bottles.

DarthQuack
05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
I enjoy Mountain Dew LiveWire, but it's hard to find.....I actually only really find it at gas stations.....I like it a lot better than that Code Red stuff they sell.

figrin bran
05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I tried one of those Indy Snickers "adventure bars" and didn't really taste that much of a difference.

RooJay
05-21-2008, 01:08 AM
I absolutely love the Indiana Jones Snickers bars. I find that there is certainly a difference, however subtle. It's much more apparent if you're the type who tends not to gobble you chocolate. These have to be savored. The Indy Mint Crispy M&Ms are frikkin' delicious, though! With those I recommend simply tipping your head back and hoovering the entire bag!

figrin bran
05-21-2008, 01:31 AM
I absolutely love the Indiana Jones Snickers bars. I find that there is certainly a difference, however subtle. It's much more apparent if you're the type who tends not to gobble you chocolate. These have to be savored. The Indy Mint Crispy M&Ms are frikkin' delicious, though! With those I recommend simply tipping your head back and hoovering the entire bag!

I'm more of a gobbler so that would explain it. Still, their descriptions of "exotic spice and sweet coconut" doesn't quite match up with what I'm tasting.

Mint Crispy M&M's are delicious! I smuggled some into the theater when I saw Prince Caspian last week.

Reese's peanut butter cups have Batman logos on them as part of their TDK promo.

RooJay
05-22-2008, 02:16 AM
In other limited edition food news - anyone else try the Capt. Crunch milk shake at Carl's Jr.? Breakfast as dessert! It tastes pretty good, but they the "ice cream" they use in their shakes is that cheap greasy stuff that I generally try to avoid (ala Jack-in-the-Box's "real Ice cream" shakes - they should've kept the delicious old 'fake ice cream' shakes) and they end up tasting a bit too sweet for my tastes.

McDonald's new Sweet Tea is delicious as well, if not terribly exciting.

El Chuxter
05-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I have a theory about the sweet tea at McDonald's. Bojangles in the southeast sells sweet tea for some ridiculously low price during the summer. And it's good. So I think that was the only region where McD's $.69 42-ounce soda promotion wasn't doing gangbusters. If you are in an area where people like sweet tea, and you're out and want to get a drink through drive-thru, and two places are running promotions for drinks roughly the same price, you'll go with the tea.

I noticed they have it in a few of their locations around here. It's really clear that they didn't do any training on what constitutes "sweet tea." Comedians can joke about it all they want, but it is almost a syrup. McDonald's has a little tiny bit of sugar added to their regular, mediocre tea. So, funny enough, it's not sweet enough for people from the South, but too sweet for those from anywhere else.

I have a feeling they're test-marketing it to see how well it does across the country, and they'll find it only does well in the South--partly due to customer's tastes, and partly because the employees will know how to make it already.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I've had two Snickers Adventure Bars, and they're pretty good. Not sure if they're better than regular Snickers but they're worth a try at least. The Mint Crisp M&M's are indeed pretty great. Hopefully they'll follow the SW dark chocolate M&M's and go mainstream (too bad they don't have those Pirates of the Caribbean white chocolate ones anymore, them b*tches was tasty). Those cherry M&M's were good for a while but near the end gave me a really terrible taste in my mouth, so I won't be getting those anymore.

RooJay
05-23-2008, 04:17 AM
I have a theory about the sweet tea at McDonald's. Bojangles in the southeast sells sweet tea for some ridiculously low price during the summer. And it's good. So I think that was the only region where McD's $.69 42-ounce soda promotion wasn't doing gangbusters. If you are in an area where people like sweet tea, and you're out and want to get a drink through drive-thru, and two places are running promotions for drinks roughly the same price, you'll go with the tea.

I noticed they have it in a few of their locations around here. It's really clear that they didn't do any training on what constitutes "sweet tea." Comedians can joke about it all they want, but it is almost a syrup. McDonald's has a little tiny bit of sugar added to their regular, mediocre tea. So, funny enough, it's not sweet enough for people from the South, but too sweet for those from anywhere else.

I have a feeling they're test-marketing it to see how well it does across the country, and they'll find it only does well in the South--partly due to customer's tastes, and partly because the employees will know how to make it already.

Well I'm from the SF Bay Area (the closest I've ever been to The South is San Diego), so I'm actually pretty far away from anyone and anywhere that would actually know what authentic 'sweet tea' is. All I know is that McDonald's version is plenty refreshing, stops just short of being too sweet, and I quite enjoy it. They way you describe it, real southern sweet tea sounds pretty disgusting and about as un-refreshing as I could imagine. Yuck! I could never conceive of quenching my thirst with "syrup".

El Chuxter
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
They might've nailed it up your way. Or, after realizing some folks didn't know how to do it, they finally trained them. Or the guy who made the batch when I tried it was an idiot.

"Authentic" sweet tea is on the sweet side, but is best when it's not sickly sweet. Unless you're used to taking your tea plain.

RooJay
03-14-2009, 03:24 AM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it's just too good to let die!

Just wanted to remind everyone of the annual return of an oldie but goodie (get 'em before they're gone!) Yes, the Shamrock Shake is back at McDonald's! Yummy!!!:love:

I also would like to lament the passing of the awesome Volcano Taco at Taco Bell; hopefully it's not too long before they bring that one back! I'm still craving them!:cry:

Any other yummy new snack foods out there on anyone's radar?

Blue2th
03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, I'm a fan of the dollar menu at all the fast food places.

What I don't like is that some of the value is just too good.
McDonalds stopped selling the green chile double cheese burger for a buck.
Now though they have the McDouble minus one slice of cheese and no green chile.

Sonic has the chicken strip sandwitch with two large breast strips in it. It blows KFC's away (one strip) for a buck. And happy hour from 2 to 4 you can get half price drinks. I get the route 44 cherry slush for a buck also.

Usually good deals like that don't last, and they change them because they are too good.

JediTricks
03-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I didn't realize the Volcano Taco was gone already, I had just 1, but it was pretty decent for Taco Bell.

Shamrock shakes? ShamWOW! (That's what you'll need to get the green food dye spill out of your car upholstery :p)

"Green chile double cheeseburger"?!? I haven't heard about that, I love green chile, sound like that was a local taste, which is a shame. The regular double cheeseburger is off the dollar menu here, those cheapskates.

Beast
03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I also would like to lament the passing of the awesome Volcano Taco at Taco Bell; hopefully it's not too long before they bring that one back! I'm still craving them!:cry:
Don't expect them back anytime soon...

I'm still missing the Rancho Steak Burrito. And that was 7+ years ago, IIRC.

Apperantly they were really successful. Unfortunatly, the majority were sold to Taco Bell employees. So Taco Bell got rid of them, since they weren't making as much money with the employee discount.

Those things were godly awesome.

TeeEye7
03-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Sonic has the chicken strip sandwitch with two large breast strips in it.

That's the Anna Nicole Smith memorial sammich, isn't it?

Blue2th
03-15-2009, 12:35 AM
That's the Anna Nicole Smith memorial sammich, isn't it?
lollollollollol

RooJay
03-19-2009, 02:54 AM
"Green chile double cheeseburger"?!? I haven't heard about that, I love green chile, sound like that was a local taste, which is a shame.

I hadn't heard about that one either! Sounds like a good idea - too bad we never got them around here!

In other news - I found a new Snickers bar on one of my stops on the way to Disneyland this past weekend. I don't recall the exact name of it - it was Rocky Road inspired, with almonds and marshmallow in place of the standard peanuts and caramel, and man was it ever yummy! I need to find more real quick like! I think I greatly prefer it to the regular Snickers!

Blue2th
03-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Yes green chili is great. This is where it grows mostly. Decidedly a Mexican American thing because not much of it in Mexico and to get it fresh you have to come here. I'm sure the Spanish have been cultivating it here for 300+ years before the US annexed New Mexico and the rest of the west.

When I have eaten at mexican restaraunts in California, Texas, Washington, even Colorado, it is not served on the food. When asked, some do not even know what it is. Jalapeno?, verde tomato?, etc.
I suspect though more people know about it now.
Truly a limited edition food in other areas.

That Snickers sounds yummy.

Lord Malakite
03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Any other yummy new snack foods out there on anyone's radar?
On the soda pop front 2 "retro" limited editions are coming out in April ("Pepsi Throwback" & "Mountain Dew Throwback"). Basically they are the same basic flavors as normal "Pepsi" and normal "Mountain Dew", except these limited editions will be sweetened with cane sugar (like when the pops first came out) instead of corn syrup (which is used currently today due to being cheaper).

There will also be "Pepsi Natural".According to its description its "an all-new premium cola, Pepsi Natural is made with all-natural ingredients, including lightly sparkling water, natural sugar, natural caramel and kola nut extract. The amber-hued cola gets its color from natural caramel and natural apple extract. From the amount of bubbles to the foam that rises to the top of beverage when it's poured, Pepsi Natural offers a brand-new cola experience."

pbarnard
03-19-2009, 04:08 PM
There will also be "Pepsi Natural".According to its description its "an all-new premium cola, Pepsi Natural is made with all-natural ingredients, including lightly sparkling water, natural sugar, natural caramel and kola nut extract. The amber-hued cola gets its color from natural caramel and natural apple extract. From the amount of bubbles to the foam that rises to the top of beverage when it's poured, Pepsi Natural offers a brand-new cola experience."

So tap water fountain A will be used for this brand while fountains B & C for all others? :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty much always up for new kinds of soda. Er, I guess in this case it's old kinds of soda, but still. :D

As someone pointed out when Pizza Hut introduced their all-natural pizza, this kind of thing only draws attention to how artificial the normal stuff is.

RooJay
03-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Yes green chili is great. This is where it grows mostly. Decidedly a Mexican American thing because not much of it in Mexico and to get it fresh you have to come here. I'm sure the Spanish have been cultivating it here for 300+ years before the US annexed New Mexico and the rest of the west.

When I have eaten at mexican restaraunts in California, Texas, Washington, even Colorado, it is not served on the food. When asked, some do not even know what it is. Jalapeno?, verde tomato?, etc.
Truly a limited edition food in other areas.

I'm Californian born and raised - we have green chiles here. They're all over the place. We actually grow them here - California is pretty big for agriculture. Southwestern cuisine happens to be really big here, too. Odd that we didn't get that here...

Blue2th
03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Well that's cool. There are lots of types of chilis though. The NM chili pod grows 7 to 9 inches long.
Every year there is chili roasting outside at most supermarkets, even Walmart for an extra $5 if you buy a 25 lb. bag. People freeze it to have it year round.
It's pretty much on every New Mexican dish. It has to be roasted, peeled and de-seeded to eat in green form. Though lots of people like it dried crumbled and cooked to a red sauce.
Once the chili bug gets you you can't live without it they say. Me anyways.

Ever had a Chili Relleno?
a large chili stuffed with jack cheese, then batter fried. Tasty.

RooJay
03-21-2009, 02:07 AM
I was raised on Chile Relleno! They actually serve as my primary gauge in determining how good a Mexican restaurant is - even though they're pretty simple to make it's easy to get wrong and hard to get them right. If the Relleno is nasty then the restaurant ain't worth my time.

For the record - the Ole Cheeseburger (a cheeseburger with roasted poblanos on top) has been a staple at Nation's Giant Hamburgers restaurants for years!
http://www.nationsrestaurants.com/index.html
I would have been very interested in knowing how McDonald's version might have turned out.

JediTricks
03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Picked up a couple tubes of Pringles limited edition flavors. First was Hot Ranch, super nasty, they overdo the buttermilk aspect and it tastes funky. Then was Onion Blossom, and this was fantastic, I'd stock up but I'd tear through them too fast, it's oniony but the main flavor is onion blossom sauce with real horseradish, I was totally digging it.

I also picked up Doritos Jalapeno Poppers flavor, but haven't tried them yet.

Yes green chili is great. This is where it grows mostly. Decidedly a Mexican American thing because not much of it in Mexico and to get it fresh you have to come here. I'm sure the Spanish have been cultivating it here for 300+ years before the US annexed New Mexico and the rest of the west.When I was a kid, my mom got me into a small fast food chain "All American Burger" whose Ortega Burger was the bee's knees, and I've never forgotten how awesome that topping is on it despite them being all but gone. Carl's Jr used to have a Southwest Burger with it, but now they only have the chicken version which doesn't quite live up - I once had them make the burger for me, was such a great joy.

Trader Joe's for a while was bringing in Hatch green chile bread, oh my was that some good stuff! I was so sorry to see it run out, that was so tasty, I hadn't heard of the town of Hatch and their famous chiles before that but that definitely put them on my map.

Truly a limited edition food in other areas.Whoa whoa, Mexican restaurants in California not knowing what green chiles and jalapenos are? I think NOT! I've spent my life going to mexican restaurants, and even the corporate ones here are good in those areas, most also have tomatillo salsa (I had some yesterday at Baja Fresh, now that I think about it). Where are these restaurants of which you speak, and how is it possible they were brought in from Wyoming? ;)

On the soda pop front 2 "retro" limited editions are coming out in April ("Pepsi Throwback" & "Mountain Dew Throwback"). Basically they are the same basic flavors as normal "Pepsi" and normal "Mountain Dew", except these limited editions will be sweetened with cane sugar (like when the pops first came out) instead of corn syrup (which is used currently today due to being cheaper).HAW! Pepsi is finally catching on, huh? Coke's been doing so well with "Mexican Coca Cola" (imported Coca Cola from Mexico because they still use bottles and real sugar) that they restarted doing cane sugar glass bottles here in the US again, and now Pepsi is jumping on the bandwagon.

There will also be "Pepsi Natural".According to its description its "an all-new premium cola, Pepsi Natural is made with all-natural ingredients, including lightly sparkling water, natural sugar, natural caramel and kola nut extract. The amber-hued cola gets its color from natural caramel and natural apple extract. From the amount of bubbles to the foam that rises to the top of beverage when it's poured, Pepsi Natural offers a brand-new cola experience."That's not a bad idea, I've been digging lower-carbonation sodas lately, and Blue Sky's natural cola (no caffeine, so I can enjoy it too) is all that Pepsi Natural claims it'll be doing and is very good.

Hmm, I'm pretty much always up for new kinds of soda. Er, I guess in this case it's old kinds of soda, but still. :D

As someone pointed out when Pizza Hut introduced their all-natural pizza, this kind of thing only draws attention to how artificial the normal stuff is.Pizza Hut has sucked so bad the last few years though, their pizza has gotten sweeter and grosser every time I have it, and I used to LOVE them. So yeah, doing "natural" does show off how shoddy the regular stuff is.

Well that's cool. There are lots of types of chilis though. The NM chili pod grows 7 to 9 inches long.
Every year there is chili roasting outside at most supermarkets, even Walmart for an extra $5 if you buy a 25 lb. bag. People freeze it to have it year round.
It's pretty much on every New Mexican dish. It has to be roasted, peeled and de-seeded to eat in green form. Though lots of people like it dried crumbled and cooked to a red sauce.
Once the chili bug gets you you can't live without it they say. Me anyways.I am so bummed, I got canker sores - little ulcers on my tongue (not related to cold sores) - from doing too much hot sauce recently (I went through almost a quart of Tabasco alongside my normal spicy food regiment) and can't do much of any chiles or hot sauces for a while until it heals up. I had some chinese food on Friday that was spicy and had a few dried red chiles in it, set me back about a week of healing but I couldn't help it. :crazed:

Ever had a Chili Relleno?
a large chili stuffed with jack cheese, then batter fried. Tasty.My sister and I shared one a couple weeks ago, and the taco place my mother was going to while she was pregnant with me has a really decent one.

RooJay
05-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Pepsi Throwback is hitting stores now. I actually really like it - it's like a milder, less sweet version of regular Pepsi.

Anyone here know whether or not Coca-Cola Blak is still around? I know it couldn't have been everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed that one as well.

Tycho
05-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Pepsi Throw-Up and Coca-Cola Yak?

Wonder what Pepto Bismol will come out with to compliment these?

TeeEye7
05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
It's called Pink Purge Preventer.