PDA

View Full Version : What in the ---song remake--- is going on ? ? ?

2-1B
08-09-2002, 02:42 AM
I give in. I'm completely defeated by DJ Sammy's blasphemous cover of Bryan Adams' Heaven. :cry: I can't take it anymore.

Today I heard for the first times a hard rock cover of Carly Simon's You're So Vain AND if you can believe this, a cover of DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince's Nightmare on My Street.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the "Nightmare" song as a kid, but at the time they were still making Elm Street flicks . . . why was this song redone now? It's been 8 years since the last film, it seems like strange timing. Anyway, I still like the idea of bringing this song back, but the first two I mentioned are horrifying. :dead:
(if you can tell me who did these versions of "Vain" and "Nightmare", I'll be mighty thankful ;) )

Feel free to post about other song covers you love/hate/are indifferent to . . . here's a few off the top of my head:

Aerosmith Come Together - love it
Lenny Kravitz American Woman - love it
Marilyn Manson Highway to Hell - hate it

Mandalorian Candidat
08-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Where the Streets Have No Name by Pet Shop Boys

If it's perfect the first time, why redo it?

Exhaust Port
08-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson - Hated it
Don't you forget (about me) by Life of Agony - Loved it

stormie
08-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Faith by Limp Bizkit - absolutely, positively disgusted by that sorry excuse for a cover song....hated it. ;)
Suspicious Minds by Fine Young Cannibals - actually quite like this cover.
Shout by Disturbed - a good, dark take on this song.
Sweet Child o' Mine by Sheryl Crow - eh, probably could do without.
Can't Stop Falling in Love by UB40 - good cover, with a different style.

El Chuxter
08-09-2002, 12:11 PM
I heard a remake of Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" a few days ago. BLASPHEMY!

I've got six mix CD's worth of weird covers at home and I'll try to post some of my faves off those in a day or so. Here's some good ones off the top of my head:

Queen's Tie Your Mother Down by Lemmy Kilminster & Yngwie Malmstein
New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente
The Rolling Stones Paint It Black by U2 (or by Jonny Lang or Vanessa Carlton, for that matter)
Britney Spears' Baby One More Time by Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa
The Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive by Dweezil Zappa and Ozzy Osbourne (or, again, by Siobhan Lynch or Wyclef Jean)
Led Zep's D'yer Mak'er by Sheryl Crow

The list goes on and on. . . .:D

QLD
08-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Limp Bizkit - Faith - HORRIBLE!!!!!!
The remake of Just A Friend is horrible too!
Sheryl Crow - Sweet Child O' Mine - I kinda liked it
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams, - HORRIBLE!!!!!
Jay Z - Hard Knock Life - I wonder how many people knew they were singing a show tune?
Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You - good

You know....I am having trouble thinking of some.....

Oh wait,

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal - I liked it.

Vortex
08-10-2002, 01:07 PM
Besides what everyone else has listed...here's a few I can think of. I could pull more, but I'm too lazy to shuffel through CD's.

Orgy's Blue Monday...much better than the original 80's tune.

Metallica's Stone Cold Crazy...better than Queen's original.

Metallica's Tuesday's gone...can't remember if it was Skynard?
But most of metallica's stuff on garage inc. is all old covers they've done.

David Lee Roth's California Girls - better than the Beach Boys.

David Lee Roth's Just a Gigolo - better than the original blues song.

You could even throw in all of Rap's song sampling, but we'd be hear years.

I think all this cover stuff is part of the industry and how bands making it big or try to pay tribute to the groups that influenced them. Impersonation is the largest form of flattery. All these bands started small in clubs and bars and played covers from various older bands. Some one heard them and gave them a shot so they started writing their own stuff, or some one wrote it for them. Why change what got you to the top - playing covers.

Jargo
08-10-2002, 02:10 PM
I beg to differ my man - Whitney Houstons 'I will always love you' is a travesty of a sham of a glaring cockup in the history of music making. Dolly partons original is was and will always be supreme! Dolly rocks!!!!!! :kiss: :zzz:

Captain sensible's 'Happy talk' is better than the original showtune though, if a little dated now.

Was it the 'Fugees who did 'killing me softly' with that idjit Wyclef murmuring "one time" constantly? Talk about how to ruin a good song! Actually the main vocal on that track was ok but idjit Wyclef should be banished to a small island somewhere and never let anywhere near a recording studio ever again.

reading Thrawns eighties thread reminded me of The flying lizards 'money'. it being far superior to the original by the Beatles I think....

John Lydon's 2002 remake of 'God save the queen. A classic with a subtle slice of out of date cheese. Bouncier and catchier than the original but the bounciness kinda detracts from the intent of the song as a protest against her Royal Maj. Queen Betty. I liked the new version but the original stands alone in fields of glorious gold as a testament to the fury of the summer of '77 and the movement that changed music history forever.

mabudonicus
08-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Raven- born to be wild- way better than the crummy steppenwolf version/original
Manowar- an american trilogy- fun, good like the elvis version
Voivod- atronomy domine- lots of fun
Surfers- sweat loaf- pretty funny
Poison- deliverin the goods (Judas priest) excellent!!!
Pat Boone- any song off of in a metal mood, real funny stuff, holy diver is the standout
Motorhead- louie louie- nuff said
malmsteen and dio- dream on (aerosmith) funny cover, too much of everything

Jek Porky 2002
08-10-2002, 04:23 PM
I hate Limp Bizkit version of Faith,
Also Kelly Ozbourne, Papa Don't Preach, obviously bount to be huge, because of the sucess of the show, but:

Alien Ant Farm, Smooth Criminal: Sounds Better than the M.Jackson version, most will disagree, but the song is more suited as a hard song

Weatus, A Little Respect: Another one that was better than the origional.

dr_evazan22
08-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente
The Rolling Stones Paint It Black by U2

Some really good choices El Chuxter! On the same CD single w/ "Paint It Black" was a cover of Credence Clearwater Revival 's "Fortunate Son". It wasn't as good as Paint It Black, but good none the less.

Another cover I really like is Tom Jones doing Prince's "Kiss".
Garth Brooks covering Kiss' "Hard Luck Woman"
Run DMC doing Aerosmith's "Walk This Way"- ene the video was good.
Someone mentioned Metallica- "Turn the Page", "Die, Die My Darling"
I liked all of the covers Nirvana did on the Unplugged album.

Bad:
The only one I can think of right now is U2 doing "Satellite of Love" by Lou Reed.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 10:47 PM
I for one am tired of resculpts on figures, redoes on movies, song re-makes, and anything that doesn't have any originality. The way the music and film industry is today, it's a wonder it's still going.:)

mabudonicus
08-11-2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, there's a lot to be said for covers that are totally "interpretations" of other stuff.... most "mainstream" stuff (creed comes to mind) is so simple already, anyone could do it again (manay bands that sound like creed now come to mind)
I've always liked covers that sound like the artist took the original and actually deconstructed it, then reforged it.... example "faith" by limpbisscuit, they just dumbed it down and screamed throughout it... ridiculous!! Don't tell caesar (he would think I turned into a wuss:)!!!) but I actually liked the original, and would have preferred the G michael version come back into rotation a la bohemian rhapsody......
Jimi hendrix's cover of sunshine of your love- AWESOME!!
His dylan covers are pretty much all good, especially "come crawl out your window", and his cover of "day tripper" is real sassy and fun
Clapton's covers of after midnight, cocaine, and I shot the sherrif (which BTW I have an interview where he says he wrote it, back before marley became international... the NERVE) are garbage, you can see him figuring out his finances when he's performing them...................
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

dr_evazan22
08-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by mabudon

Clapton's covers of after midnight, cocaine, and I shot the sherrif (which BTW I have an interview where he says he wrote it, back before marley became international... the NERVE) are garbage, you can see him figuring out his finances when he's performing them...................

Cocaine and After Midnight aren't Clapton's? I don't have any Clapton CD's, and I was around 7-8 years old when Cocaine came out, but I've never heard them by anyone else (or if I did hear them, I thought THEY were covering Clapton).

I don't know if this would be consisdered a "cover", but "Tom's Diner" w/ The Art Of Noise w/ Suzanne Vega was better then the original. OK, they were equally good.

mabudonicus
08-11-2002, 10:03 AM
yeah, jj cale wrote both songs, as far as i know, but you don't hear that too much so as not to diminish "slowhand"'s "genius", thaht or he just paid cale off .... sorry, but clapton got on my "total idiot" list right about the time that he decided that there was so much "going on" in the song Layla that it warranted a terrible acoustic exploration..... unplugged and seated, why didn't he just stay home and listen to Cream, the only thing he ever did musically that was any real good (oh, and blind faith, that was a pretty good project)
Man, I'm gonna lose my Steel Crown if I keep talking about all this false metal.... when you finish reading this post, you will forget that mabudon ever mentioned any non-metal music, and will still refer to him as "Metal King"...... *flashes horns and stares defiantly, waiting for you to turn away* I MEAN it :)!!!!!

odb
08-11-2002, 02:36 PM
Limp Bizkit - Faith - I quite liked it.
Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal - I think the song is better suited to the the guitar/harder rock sound, the orginal's a bit falt in comparason.
Marlyn Manson - Tainted Love - not too bad
The Braids (I think) - Bohemian Rhapsody - terrible avoid at all costs!
Oasis - Cum Feel the Noise - nearly as good as the original

At the moment there are mixes of several tracks (such as Nivana's Smellls like Teen Spirit mixed with Destiny's Child Bootilicious:confused:, amongst others) floating around some of which are good others are terrible. All of wich are a slightly different slant on the cover idea.

stormie
08-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Couple more:

Fleetwood Mac's Landslide - redone by Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins was excellent!
Thin Lizzy's Whiskey in the Jar - redone by Metallica was unneccessary and almost blasphemous!;)

Vortex
08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
But wait - isn't Wiskey in the Jar and old irish folk song?

stormie
08-12-2002, 01:22 PM
:D I thought someone would catch that! Yeah, but I thought since Thin Lizzy was an Irish Band, I'd consider their version an original. And besides, it sounds so much better than a bunch of drunken amateurs crooning in a pub! ;)

Vortex
08-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Its barely understandable now, and I can only imagine a bunch of drunk irish trying to belt it out after a few pints of Beamish or irish wiskey...you thought bagpipes sounded bad:)

2-1B
08-24-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Today I heard for the first times a hard rock cover of Carly Simon's You're So Vain

Turns out I have the band Faster *****cat to thank for it. :rolleyes:
They opened a show I was at recently, and they began with a different cover, this time of the song "These Boots are Made for Walkin' " :rolleyes:
Soon after their set was over, I was informed by another concert goer that Faster *****cat were indeed behind the "Vain" remake, they did it way back in the early 90s. :rolleyes:

Hey, I don't think I've ever used so many :rolleyes:s in a post before ! :D

El Chuxter
08-29-2002, 02:32 PM
The Dixie Chicks actually do an awesome bluegrass remake of "Landslide" on their new album. That song is just awesome no matter who does it, or how.