PDA

View Full Version : xXx (The Triple X thread)

Eternal Padawan
08-09-2002, 09:31 AM
So they're hoping this becomes a franchise, huh? not gonna happen. This thing is so ludicrously over the top ham fisted action mutton. It tries to be coy and say 'wink wink, we're making fun of the genre' but it ends up taking it's place in line with all the other action tripe out there. it starts off slyly poking fun at 007 by having the guy in a tuxedo completely in a fish out of water situation. Stuffy old agent archetype can't survive in this environment, right?

So then why does the film simply remove James Bond from every scene and insert Xander Cage? Nails random hot chick? check. Snappy patter with head of spy organization (Samuel Jackson is M)? check. tete a tete with goofy gadget meister? check. Falls in love with good bad girl? check. Exotic chase scenes that defy all believibility? check. (What's up with that snowboard scene? Were the FX guys digitally teleporting him away from the avalanche everytime it got too close? I saw his little black dot on the screen jump forward four times.And not inexplicably "speed up". He literally popped forward 10 to 15 feet each time.) Saves the world? check. Ho hum. Instead of a tuxedo, though we get a guady furry coat.

The only difference between this film and 007 is that Bond did it first over and over and over again. And where Bond is suave and cool under fire, X is thuggish and lucky.

It's a two hour adrenaline rush, but don't expect it to revolutionize the genre.

ROLLO!

billfremore
08-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Say wasn't Remo Williams being touted as the next Bond too?

Hmmm....

DarthBrandon
08-09-2002, 11:59 AM
There is and always will be one Bond and one Bond only, the rest are just copy cats.:)

2-1B
08-09-2002, 12:39 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I want to thank Eternal Padawan for titling this thread with the appropriate lower case x, capital X, lower case x. ;)

Franchise? I read that Vin Diesel (kinda boring that his real name is Mark Vincent) "was offered 3 franchises at once", and that's why he turned down Fast/Furious 2 in favor of xXx and Riddick (Pitch Black sequel/prequel :confused: ). Curious, I didn't see The Fast and the Furious as a franchise to begin with ! :D

billfremore
08-09-2002, 01:16 PM
I was reading in my local paper that he turned down $20 million they were offering him to do Fast and the Furious 2.

That musta been one bad script.

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 02:17 PM
He might have been smart to pass on Pitch Black 2 (-1?), what a load of crap that movie was.

El Chuxter
08-09-2002, 02:20 PM
So it's lame? That's kinda what I figured. I can't say I'm a Vin Diesel fan, since I've not seen any of his, what, two movies? (I classify TF&TF under "movies that people really like, but can't tell me the first thing about," which normally means I'll pass until someone can tell me something about it. That and the fact that the City of Hemet closed down the only way into town from the west so they could film a couple of scenes and I had to leave for work almost an hour earlier for several weeks, which kinda ticks me off on principle.)

I remember hearing that a sequel was in the works a few weeks ago. Has anyone in Hollywood heard of seeing how the movie does before churning out more?

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 02:51 PM
I don't know who thought that Vin Diesel was leading man material. He was okay in Saving Private Ryan, but only memorable because of his drawn out death. There were several other actors who gave incredible performances in that film, overshadowing poor Vinny.

He was lame in the 'too-hip-for-it's-own-good' Pitch Black, and never came off as anything more than a run-of-the-mill thug in TF&TF.

xXx looks to be a hip, thrill-a-minute, roller coaster ride with a cast of 'kewl,' bad-*** characters. Exactly why I don't plan on watching it.

Capitan_Moroni
08-10-2002, 12:58 AM
Today at work as I was making my rounds doing theater checks, I thought it was funny to walk into xXx and see Danny Trejo beating Vin Deisel with a machette, and then walk into Spy Kids 2 and see him be nice unlce Cortez and go "I just relized I dident put batteries in this thing!" after the big musical number at the end.

Eternal Padawan
08-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Yep. Last night had 20 people in an auditorium big enough for 300. Definitely no sequel.

Danny Trejo RULES! :D :happy: I especially like him in Heat.

Chux, VD (:)) was in Private Ryan, Boiler Room (he was good in that one), Pitch Black, Fast/Furious (originally called Redline...which in retrospect would have been a better title. FATF is just a hokey, hokey name for a movie...) Knockaround Guys (which languished on a shelf for over a year now...never a good sign) and now xXx. He was also the voice of the Iron Giant. They are also sitting on that unnamed movie (originally called Diablo) and he is finishing up the PB sequel. With two of his movies shelved, and a dismal turn out for this one (at least at my theatre), pretty soon people are going to realize FATF was a hit because of the cars, not because of Vin. And then his $20 million paychecks will dry up.

Speaking of the pitch black sequel, one of the original screenplay ideas had them crash landing on ANOTHER planet full of nocturnal hunting beasts. What are the odds?!?! :rolleyes:

ROLLO!

Needles
08-10-2002, 11:11 AM
I dont really look at movies from an artistic point of veiw,I like Vin in PItch Black,and fast and the furious,xXx is another copy of JAmes Bond,Bond has been here for over forty years,HAD plenty of Hot foriegn Pu**y!,although I still wanna see this Bond copy cat,it wont spawn 19+ movies,it would basically become boring after this one one movie.check out my thread james bond thread.

QLD
08-10-2002, 11:15 AM
I might go see this tonight. But I have my doubts about it being too good.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 02:19 AM
All this is going to be is another corny action movie, with bad plots, bad acting, and bad one-liners. A rental at best, if you even want to rent it, that is.:)

wedgeA
08-12-2002, 02:58 AM
Well, it looks like the movie did well enough this weekend to insure another sequel. I was pretty disappointed, especially since I thought the action scenes were terrible. No real excitement at all and the last sequence was a huge let down.

DeadEye
08-12-2002, 01:10 PM
This movie is ignorant, and will never replace Bond.

James Bond is all about high society men and women, drinking Vodka martinis, shaken not stirred. :D xXx is all about some stupid jock/moron punks, beer-drinking, motorcycle mamas! If you ask me, there's practically no comparison.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
08-12-2002, 01:37 PM
point taken, Deadeye

Eternal Padawan
08-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Good call on the "big finale" WedgeA. Was anybody really on "the edge of their seat"? Like there was this big moment where everybody thought xXx had drowned. ooooh..for a moment there I thought he was dead, but then I realized they've been going on and on and ON AND ON about how this is the new hip spy FRANCHISE, so I didn't think they'd kill off their brand new punkish nihlist anti-spy in the first film. :rolleyes:

I think xXx made it onto my bottom 5 of the year.

ROLLO!

2-1B
08-17-2002, 11:08 PM
Was that Rammstein in the beginning? How irritating. :rolleyes:

I like Vin Diesel. :)
EP, having now seen the film I'll say that's a pretty complete checklist you made in your opening post! :D The only question in my mind is, "was it more ham than mutton? Or more mutton than ham?" ;)
I'll disagree about the gaudiness of his fur coat. Okay, it was gaudy, but I thought he looked cool in it. :cool:
If I could pull that look off with any success, I'd definitely wear one!

Sequel talk - the local entertainment reporter claims the sequel has already been "green lighted" . . . even if it isn't I'd say we're certain to get one, probably two: I think the sequel will do enough :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: to allow them to squeeze out a third, and by then I think it will be done.

Do you think they'll bring Dario Argento's daughter back for a second movie? :D

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2002, 08:51 AM
Asia is NOT fun to look at. And the kissing scenes in the film were embarrasing to watch. They need to teach actors how to kiss onscreen. It's not the same as in real life. Old time movie stars knew how to do it right but these new guys....eeeuush. Take some time and practice first, right guys? You are getting paid $20 mil Vin, it's okay to ask her for twenty minutes of suckface practice so it doesn't look like it's the first time EITHER of you have locked lips.

ROLLO!

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2002, 08:57 AM
"You passed the test. The Gibbons test."

I love bad dialogue in movies! This is the best (worst) stuff I've heard in a long time.

What was the Gibbons test exactly? Save Prague?! Does anyone care about eastern European cities getting decimated by biochemical warfare? GOOD spy movies threaten L.A or Washington D.C. or New York (although that's probably un-PC these days.)
I wonder...did Gibbons ever have to take the Gibbons test? Probably not.
And if you were Mr. and Mrs. Gibbons, would you name your son Augustus? Probably not.

I also liked it when he says "We got you on satellite magnification." and Vin and Asia (right on cue) start LOOKING FOR THE SATELLITE!!! HOO HOO HEE! This is the new James Bond? Puh-leez. :rolleyes:

This is my new fave flick to rag on....

ROLLO!

billfremore
08-20-2002, 09:05 AM
Ahh it was a fun, mindless way to spend 2 hours.
It was exactly what I expected it to be.
I hope they make another...

2-1B
08-21-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Asia is NOT fun to look at.

In my best Vin Diesel voice,

"You rip on Asia one more time and I'm gonna throw you a beating." :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

Beast
10-03-2003, 02:19 PM
A bit of news on the sequel. Vin Diesel has dropped out, and Ice Cube is stepping into the role. No clue why they are even bothering now. Since making xXx 2 doesn't make much sense without xXx. Though it sounds like that is the name of the goverment agency now. :p From Cinescape:

Rapper-turned-actor Ice Cube has already achieved a sizeable amount of credits in the movies, but even so his next project will be new territory for him. The Cube is getting his shot as the leading man in a big-budget action franchise, namely xXx 2. It turns out that director Rob Cohen wasn't the only ingredient in the first film that didn't want to return; star Vin Diesel has now passed on reprising his role as extreme sports star-turned-secret agent Xander Cage. Strangely enough, both Cohen and Diesel will still retain executive producer status on xXx 2 -- this new deal is a testament to the savvy of their Hollywood agents.

Cube's xXx x-perience is now being aimed for theaters in 2005. Lee Tamahori (DIE ANOTHER DAY) will direct the film. It looks like the film's producers have chosen Simon Kinberg's script which takes place primarily in Washington, D.C. It also appears that the plan now is to hire a new leading man (or woman) for each new xXx film from this point forward, but that could certainly change. No word yet if Samuel L. Jackson will reprise his part as the XXX division's chief, Gibbons.

Now that Diesel's duties for an xXx sequel are no longer relevant, he'll move on next to HANNIBAL, the legenday Carthaginian general who attacked Rome nearly two thousand years ago.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
10-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Hmm, still might be worth while to try out. He wasn't too shabby in Three Kings. Still though, won't be the same. Could've been a good movie but now it's just a fully mindless franchise.

Hmm.. so that'd be two sequels between two movies without him even though he basically made the first ones. (Fast and the Furious and xXx) I guess his agent is warning against possible drops in sequels so his career doesn't get hurt by a bombed follow-up.