PDA

View Full Version : Which Characters Are We LIKELY To See In 2003?

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 01:51 PM
This has probably been asked before, but which do you firmly believe will be adorning shelves post-Dec 2002? Poggle the Lessor? Lama Su? Or maybe Wat Tambor?

Let rip your speculative side.

I would have to say...The Archduke himself, Padme Amidala (Coruscant Senator), Queen Jamillia, Lama Su & definitely Aayla Secura:D ;) .

Beast
08-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Well, we know that Hasbro has said we will get a new version of Padme Amidala: Arena Battle, R2-D2 w/ Booster Rockets, and Aayla Secura.

As for what else we will see next year, probably another Jango, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme for sure. Beyond that is anyone's guess. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 02:05 PM
How much further can they take Jango Fett in 3.75"? Jango (Tipoca Apartment ) perhaps?

Obi-Wan (Battle damage)? Anakin (Coruscant or Naboo)?
Do you think it is highly likely that the new Padme Amidala will be in the costume seen as she leaves Tatooine?

pthfnder89
08-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Well, we know that Hasbro has said we will get a new version of Padme Amidala: Arena Battle, R2-D2 w/ Booster Rockets, and Aayla Secura.

I just hope that the new Arena Padme takes priority over other versions such as any Tattoine or Naboo outfits. I have several of her costumes I'd like to see, but not before they resculpt a really nice Geonosis version.

As JJB said, it's pretty much up in the air as to who Hasbro will make next; there's plenty to choose from that they haven't touched. But I'd venture to say that Poggle is pretty much a given, having a fairly large role, and also being a cool alien. I really don't see Queen Jamilla being made anytime soon, since the Shmi figure debacle pretty much confirmed that most second-tier female characters won't sell well.

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 02:10 PM
But these are targeted at a collectors market, and the new Queen is seen in just one costume, so anything is possible.

I know this thread is rather 'pie in the sky', but speculation surrounding SW has been going since the films began. :)

Beast
08-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Well, the rumors that I am hearing about the new Arena Padme will be the outfit before the Nexu attacks and rips it. And it will have her shawl/cape that she is seen wearing on Geonosis as well. Hasbro said that she would have alot of articulation as well, so that is good news.

I think Jango Fett: Apartment Jammies is a good bet. A cloaked version of Anakin Skywalker is likely in my mind for next year. As for Obi-Wan, probably a Hanger Duel version. I hope a new Obi-Wan is in the cards, none of the Obi figures are all that great so far. Coruscant Chase is to small and Fighter Pilot has his headband molded on. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 02:19 PM
I tend to agree with you Jar Jar, the Obi-Wan figures to date have been a little disappointing to say the least. I wonder, is the headset on Jango (Slave 1 pilot) removable?

I would like to see articulation extended to all figures at most if not all joints (shoulder, knees, elbows, wrists & hips). A big ask, I hear you say, but as collectors are predominatly buying these figures, why not? Cost. If the product is great, then I for one am willing to pay an extra pound (UK speak!!!).

billfremore
08-09-2002, 02:24 PM
I'd like to see some more collector oriented stuff like Poggle and Wat Tambor.

Does anybody know how the concept stormie is coming along?

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Is anyone really relishing the release of the McQuarrie stormie?

billfremore
08-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Actually I'm looking forward to it. I didn't think I would considering I voted for something else but it should be cool.

I'll be curious to see how he looks with his lightsaber...

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 02:37 PM
I'm not going to boycott it when, or should I say, if it arrives in my neck of the woods, but I just hope Hasbro put their energies into making it a great looking figure, and not some bizarre mutation of a POTF2 stormie (unlikely).

JEDIpartner
08-09-2002, 02:40 PM
I'm looking forward to the Concept Stormie!!!

Darth Evil
08-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Me too, it should be nice. Doesn't anyone else want a Dooku resculpt? That's high on my list. A new Geonosis Padme is very welcome, as is Poggle the Lesser. All I'll need then to fill Dooku's box will be an AOTC Nute Gunray. Of course I don't actually have Dooku's box yet, but that'll change when the Arena Playset is released...

Jek Porky 2002
08-09-2002, 04:48 PM
I don't mind seeing new versions of Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme, but I think Hasbro are milking Jango for all he's worth, I think someone needs to teel them that he's not that popular!

Here are some ideas:

Anakin Skywalker (Jedi Apprentice), with cape and just one blue lightsaber, holding it in two hands, in similar style to Bespin Luke or Kit Fisto.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Knight), with cloak, lightsaber and similar pose to Anakin, not the same, but similar enough so that you can stand them together and look like they should be together

PLASTIC CLOAKS ON BOTH!!!!!!

Padme Amidala, well what can you say, there are so many costumes to choose rom, I like the idea of the white flight suit and scarf thingy!

I would like to see Jango in his PJ's, but that's all, they should leave him well alone after that.

Also another Count Dooku would suit me just fine. Darth Tyrannus (Hanger Dual), with 1 lightsaber and ARTICULATION!

Bobajames
08-09-2002, 08:39 PM
In addition to being able to hold the lightsaber w/both hands i think that they should articulate the elbows more like luke bespin's knees, so that their hands wont be stuck like luke bespin (i love the figure, but the only pose w/ him that looks right is with his lightsaber)

Darth Yambag
08-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Bail Organa, Yoda- floating chair, and Owen Lars/Lars family as a cinema scene

ishi tib
08-10-2002, 03:06 PM
My wish list for 2003:

Poggle the Lesser
Lama Su
Jocasta Nu
Bariss Offee
Coleman Trebor
Stass Olie
Sly Moore
Tikkes
new Mace Windu
and as always
JQUILLE!!!!

hango fett
08-10-2002, 03:17 PM
what does the concept stormie look like? i never seen it!
YF.

Beast
08-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
what does the concept stormie look like? i never seen it!
YF.
Here's a link to an old news story that shows the McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper in a painting. He'll likely come with a tower shield and lightsaber. I still think the Imperial Dignitary should have won. :mad: :(

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=311

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
08-10-2002, 03:39 PM
oh! i guess i have seen him then!!!! i saw that on the SW site and was going to use that picture or my ava. some time ago...
YF.

hango fett
08-10-2002, 03:41 PM
oh, nice tutorial, JJB. i watched that and now widescreen makes sense! thanks!
h

Darth Marra 54
08-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Poggle the Lesser, Lama Su, more Anakins, more Padmes and more fighting Jedi!

mylow thehutt
08-10-2002, 03:53 PM
I heard were getting 2 new Jedi,a Luke,A Leigha,some droid,and a holth Han.

Jargo
08-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Darth Yambag
Bail Organa, Yoda- floating chair, and Owen Lars/Lars family as a cinema scene

Interesting choices. Can't quite recall that scene in the movie... :confused:

I reckon bail Organa and Poggle the Lesser and Lama SU are distinct possibilities along with new Obi Anakin and Dooku sculpts.
Padme Refugee disguise is probably on the cards as well as he new arena one.

The two new Jedi - Pablo Jill and Coleman Trebor strike me as figures for a spring/summer release like Plo Koon and Saesee Tiin were with POTJ, IIRC.

Aiwha and Orray and Shaak beast packs are possibilities.

Vehicle wise there's plenty of smaller craft that seem likely candidates Geo speeder, Tatooine swoop, rickshaw speeder,
Geo fighter, Dooku's solar sailer, Royal yacht.

Hasbro said it's unlikely there'll be an AT-TE produced but i reckon support would be there for a solar sailer villain craft because it's quite small. The royal yacht is an iffy one but being silver and also a hero craft it might squeeze through in a scaled down version on a par with the royal starship from episode one.
The small speeders they can pack with figures as deluxe items or just an accessory. the larger rickshaw speeder would have to pack with an Anakin i think in order for it to sell at all. Or the droid could pack as a figure with the rickshaw as a lower quality large accessory flatpacked with self assembly instructions. :)

The Geo fighter maybe won't be produced ever but i like to think it might make the grade late in the year. Misile firing cockpit opening with exclusive Geo warrior pilot sculpted with inhaler breath mask would get me reaching for the wallet. just weird enough to pique my interest.

A showing for the Bespin cloud car perhaps or am I tempting fate...?

I reckon plenty of army builders too. Hasbro seems to have taken that idea on board and started to walk with it. I wouldn't say they were running yet but were getting somewhere finally.

more cantina patrons and Jabba's palace denizens. maybe even a Jabba himself.

Imperial snowtrooper and cloud car pilot. both possibles.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Here's a link to an old news story that shows the McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper in a painting. He'll likely come with a tower shield and lightsaber. I still think the Imperial Dignitary should have won. :mad: :(

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=311

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Either that JarJarBinks or General Rieekan, who the hell voted concept trooper in anyways? He's not even a Jedi and he comes with a lightsaber, for christ's sake what's the Star Wars universe coming to anyways.:)

mylow thehutt
08-10-2002, 04:28 PM
Jargo It will probly be the rumored jedi Barriss Offiee,and Colmen Tember.Also heard about an all wight Clone tropper comming out later this year.I have been wanting a battel damage Obi-wan for quite some time now.Also wasn't it hasbro that said there redoing all of colection 1 figs with articulation and stuff for 2003?

Beast
08-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Hasbro said it's unlikely there'll be an AT-TE produced but i reckon support would be there for a solar sailer villain craft because it's quite small. A showing for the Bespin cloud car perhaps or am I tempting fate...?
Actually, if you read the early version of the Q&A with Hasbro from the San Diego Comic Con, the response about the AT-TE did say that it was unlikely. That was because I posted the version that Artoosnews had put up, since they got it up first. Sir Steve said that that wasn't a very accurate version at all, and posted SSG's a while after that. The "not likely" response was to a question about a 12" version. Sir Steve's version shows that Hasbro really said that the AT-TE wasn't likely in the 12" format, as it better suits a 3 3/4" figure size better. :)

The Twin Pod Cloud Car has been on hold since last year as a Target exclusive. Last year they went with the B-Wing instead, and this year they were going to do the Cloud Car, but Target decided they wanted the Accessory Sets idea instead. So the Cloud Car may show up next year, I hope. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mylow thehutt
08-10-2002, 04:40 PM
A 12" At-ET thats insaine,that thing would be huge!

Jargo
08-10-2002, 05:41 PM
I read it that they said the 3 3/4" was not likely but the action fleet version was. I'll beg to differ until an actual quote is posted.

Anyways, with jedi being so beloved by fans the few remaing council members are also possibilities Oppo, even, yaddle, depa, Yareal. Maybe a resculpt on Eeth. add to that the resculpts of the heros and add in Barriss, Coleman and Pablo and that's a hefty bunch of jedi. Do we really want another year of brown robed figures or something more visually interesting and colorful.
I for one would like to see more funky aliens from the background of Coruscant and the outlander club. Tatooine aliens and traders and homesteaders. droids wherever possible. I really don't want too many more Anakin/Jango/Clonetrooper figures taking up case room and preventing the release of other more interesting items. Sure, make a new Anakin with his Jedi cloak, make a new Jango in his jammies, make a new all white clonetrooper neutrally posed, make a new red jumpsuit clone, just don't keep remaking them for the sake of remaking them.
It's a non movie year in 2003so let's start cookin' on gas and get the cool stuff out!

Beast
08-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I read it that they said the 3 3/4" was not likely but the action fleet version was. I'll beg to differ until an actual quote is posted.
Here you go, Emporer Jargo. Sounds like they were humoring the person who made such an insane request. Or they just don't like to ever say anything is not possible. :)

12'' AT-TE possibility?
"Right now it is not planned for this years line but it is under consideration. It may lend itself better to the Action Fleet line scale and 3 3/4" due to the size of it but it is certainly under consideration."

Possibility of 12" scale vehicles?
"The biggest thing we've gotten to do is the Tauntaun, and we have a new one coming out this year. It all boils down to a costing issue. To do something really cool like a Snowspeeder or a Landspeeder and I hate to say thins but you're pushing a $100 retail or more. We are looking at it in different ways."

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=150360#post150360

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-10-2002, 06:15 PM
See, I knew I'd read the part about action fleet. I wasn't dissin' yer report just wanted clarification. :)

I suppose we could - could see a version of it if someone picked it up as an exclusive but it's going to be way too big for regular retailers to touch. They're just such big fat scaredy cats these days. what would it be size wise - as along as the AT-AT but wider because of the six legs stuck out the side, about as high as the underbelly of the AT-AT? big enough to carry a few figures while still being around half scale like most of the vehicles.
There'd be some weight in it too. And the legs would need some groovy articulation. So there's a cockpit for one figure, a swivel and tilt cannon for one figure, swivel guns like the gunship ones, and the top would open to hold something like eight troopers inside? That'd do for me quite honestly.
Retail that at $50 and i think people would be happy-ish. Of course folk would still say it was too pricey but hey - that's folks for ya. :)

And i realise I'm probably way off on the price but if the x-wing is going for $40 then the AT-TE should be a bit more dontcha think?

JonoFett
08-10-2002, 08:22 PM
I'm with you JarJar, I too voted for the dignatary.

El Chuxter
08-12-2002, 03:35 PM
I think it's safe to say we'll see another Luke, another Obi-Wan, another Ani, another Fett, and possibly another Vader and Maul.

Luke. . . my bet's on a new Hoth Luke. Hasbro has a way of redoing every lacking Luke figure, except for the one we want: Jedi Knight Luke.

Obi-Wan: Possibly Geonosis Arena or Final Duel?

Anakin: No idea. They'll make another one or two, and, since another TPM Anakin is probably out, I'm hoping for one with the golden hand. Hopefully it would be a Collection 2 figure, since I'd hate to see his metal arm come off to reveal a rocket launcher or something.

A new CT Boba Fett is a possibility, but a Jango Fett: Tipoca City is far more likely.

Vader and/or Maul are pretty safe bets, but I can't figure out any possibilities. We finally got Vader: Bespin Revelation (albeit with a different name), which is the last one I can think of, barring something corny like Vader: Bespin Dinner Party. An EU Vader might be cool, but no idea what it could be. (Maybe from Vader's Quest, with a Stormtrooper blaster?) A resculpted Maul Hologram is about the only additional Maul I could stomach right now.

We need some more Leias and Padmes, as well as handmaidens, but I see a 50-50 chance at best. We absolutely need TPM Final Celebration Padme, a redone Geonosis Padme, and a Bespin Gown Leia. No questions about it. Handmaidens, give us all you can churn out. It might be a good idea to do this new "variant head" deal with them, so we can get different characters as easily as possible.

I bet some of the "less major" characters will get resculpts. Possibly a Lando: Smuggler or Lando: Skiff Guard, along with R5-D4 (finally!). New sculpts for Snowtrooper and TIE Pilot would be nice, too, though I doubt TIE Pilot will happen after we got two TIEs in the past year. Dengar, Bib Fortuna, or one of the other background characters with shoddy figures might get resculpts, too.

New figures: Wat Tambor and Poggle the Lesser are shoo-ins. (Are these confirmed already?) It's a non-movie year, so attention might start going back to obscure characters for the adults. In addition to Concept Stormie, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another concept figure or two. At least one Jedi Council member is safe; my money's on Coleman Trebor. Hopefully we'll get some of the oft-requested figures: Yarna d'al Gargan, Hem Dazon, Hermi Odle, Crix Madine, Jan Dodonna, Moff Jerjerrod, Sate Pestage (or another Imperial Dignitary), Yarua, Tey Hwo, etc. A couple of surprises, too; at least one unexpected Cantina patron or Jabba's henchman. I expect new figures will mostly be from AOTC, and I think Bail Organa, Ask Aak, Cliegg Lars, Owen Lars, and at least one non-Council Jedi (betting on Pablo Jill or Bariss Offee), are the surest bets. There's also a slight chance of Elan Sleazebaggano (most likely as an exclusive of some sort).

EU: We might get a couple, but a whole line is doubtful. Unfortunately, I think Nym might be the most likely, since he was in the poll. Quinlan Vos is probably Hasbro's next in line, and if we see any from the CT/NJO era, Guri and Jedi Knight Kyle Katarn are most likely. (Yeah, yeah, I'd prefer a Corran Horn, too.)

Beasts: They're morons if they don't make an Orray w/ cart and Geonosian Picador. Period. I think if we see any beasts, chances are they'll have finally figured out we want a ROTJ Jabba!

Vehicles: I don't see too many vehicles next year. Maybe the Cloud Car that's been in limbo forever and an AOTC vehicle or two. I'd say Sith Infiltrator, but I'd hate to jinx it.

Beast
08-12-2002, 03:51 PM
El Chuxter, the only possibility that I can see for a Vader next year would be a new removable helmet version. Sure the POTF2 version was great, but he was way to short. A new one with a 2-piece helmet, lots of articulation, and soft goods capes would be a great Vader that is sorely needed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-12-2002, 07:42 PM
Smaller speeders would be the vehicular way to go as far as I'm concerned. Easier to ship and stock in bundles. cost less to consumers and fit on shelves more easily. Plus there are tons they could do. I won't list them but I could list at least twenty small speeders. And that would be conservative. If Hasbro wants to engage the kids in this hobby then smaller vehicles that kids can actually get their ands round to play with would be the collest way to go. The larger ships like the X-ewing are great but a little unweildly for a child. Plus, how did hasbro get round the ssafety regs on the new x-wings guns? those things are hard as hell and will take your eyes out if your not careful, Why didn't Hasbro make them gummy if they are following safety regs and making all sharp pointy things soft plastic, hmmmm? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it hasbro :p

But smaller vehicles would be their safest bet anyway.

And beasts, beasts are incredibly cool. There are still loads left to do or redo. If they make an Aiwha with Kaminoan you can take the Aiwha for a bespin display or scene and use it as a Thranta (which it really is) Plus the dianoga is a good choice if they make it a formiddably sized attack beast with decent tentacles made of bendy stuff.

Old Fossil
08-12-2002, 11:57 PM
All I want is a frickin' resculpted R5-D4 and a new Sandcrawler.

And a new Jedi Luke.

... and Sly Moore...

...and Moff Jerjerrod, with bendy knees.

THAT's IT!!!

How many JarJars, Mauls, and Jangos must I suffer before I am satisfied?

Geonosian
08-13-2002, 01:58 AM
I hope we get a new Anakin with plastic robe. Coleman Trebor and Poggle.
Also Geonosian Picador with Orray.:)

Tycho
08-13-2002, 09:20 PM
1. Orange R5 -ANH
2. green R2 -AOTC
3. J'Quille -ROTJ
4. Woof -ROTJ
5. Hem Dazon - ANH
6. Feltipern Trevagg - ANH
7. Myo -ANH
8. Padme in white w. cape _AOTC
9. Padme in nightgown w. assassin droid- AOTC
10. Master Oppo Rancisis-TPM

11. Imperial Officer - gray uniform -ESB
12. B-wing Pilot - white human, red group -ROTJ
12. red "alpha clone" in training -AOTC
13. black Bespin guard -ESB
14. white Naboo Royal Guard - TPM

15. Luke in medical robes from ESB w. hand replacement
16. Princess Leia in medical robes from ESB
17. Lando Calrissian in Corellian smuggler attire from ESB
18. C-3PO w. removeable eye and Jabba glob- ROTJ
19. R2-D2 w. launching lightsaber and Jabba drink tray -ROTJ
20. Anakin Skywalker in relaxed pose with Jedi Robe -AOTC
21. Obi-Wan Kenobi in relaxed pose with Jedi Robe -AOTC
22. Obi-Wan Kenobi in molded "wet look" with x-tra articulation -AOTC
23. Jango Fett in Kamino casual attire -AOTC
24. Count Dooku with Dark Side Lightning-AOTC

25. Bail Organa -AOTC
26. Master Coleman Trebdor -AOTC
27. Poggle the Lesser -AOTC
28. Moff Jerjerrod - ROTJ
29. Lanu Su -AOTC
30. Gen. Crix Madine -ROTJ
31. Dorme -AOTC
32. Padawan Bariss Offee -AOTC
33. Gungan Rep Teers - TPM
34. Padme Senator -AOTC
35. Chief Chirpa -ROTJ

36. Jaina Solo - NJO
37. Jacen Solo - NJO
38. Anakin Solo - NJO
39. Yuuzhan Vong warrior - NJO
40. Kir Kanos - Crimson Empire
41. Nom Anor - Crimson Empire
42. Luke Skywalker Jedi Master
43. Noghri Warrior - Heir to the Empire
44. Master C'Boath - with Dark Side Lightning - Heir to the Empire
45. Guri - Shadows of the Empire
46. Jix - Shadows of the Empire
47. Vilmah Grahrk - Star Wars Ongoing
48. Quinlan Vos - Star Wars Ongoing
49. A'Sharad Hett - Star Wars Ongoing
50. Ambassador Leia Organa-Solo

Just a thought....

Geonosian
08-13-2002, 09:40 PM
Great list..I hope some of those figures com out in 2003.

Beast
08-13-2002, 09:44 PM
I like the fact that the title of the thread is Which Characters Are We LIKELY To See In 2003? and it's turned pretty much into just another wishlist thread. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
08-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Yes JarJar.
Wheres your list?