PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Flashback Freakouts

scruffziller
08-09-2002, 01:18 PM
I remember watching Knight Rider on TV back in the mid 80s. Remember David Hasselhoff. Watched as he progressed through Baywatch and Baywatch Nights(that was a great show). THen comes along the "late" Jedi Knightrider with his Michael Knight
avatar. OH MY GARSH!!!!!!!!!! I...................DO............................ ........NOT...............RE.................MEM.. .......BER DAVID HASSELHOFF HAVING AN AFRO!!!!!!!!!!.:crazed:
It was quite weird how you forget or really never knew for that matter. A similar effect can be done by digging out old high school yearbooks too.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-09-2002, 02:35 PM
I turned on the A-Team a night or two ago on the Dish and realized how cool Howling Mad Murdock is/was. Now the actor who played him is doing dippy stuff on Star Trek as a total spazoid.

JEDIpartner
08-09-2002, 03:36 PM
You thought Murdock was cool? :p

Exhaust Port
08-09-2002, 03:41 PM
I was amazed by the plots of The Dukes of Hazzard. I still love the show but, my god, the plots are awful. Daisy Duke still looks good in those cut off shorts though. :D

darthvyn
08-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I remember watching Knight Rider on TV back in the mid 80s. Remember David Hasselhoff. Watched as he progressed through Baywatch and Baywatch Nights(that was a great show). THen comes along the "late" Jedi Knightrider with his Michael Knight
avatar. OH MY GARSH!!!!!!!!!! I...................DO............................ ........NOT...............RE.................MEM.. .......BER DAVID HASSELHOFF HAVING AN AFRO!!!!!!!!!!.:crazed:
It was quite weird how you forget or really never knew for that matter. A similar effect can be done by digging out old high school yearbooks too.

ROCK!!! that's very true... you don't really picture him like that in your mind's eye, do you? then you actually see a picture from then and it's like "what the hell was he thinking???"

it's like seeing pictures of yourself from ages ago... i know i'm always amazed at what i looked like...

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I was amazed by the plots of The Dukes of Hazzard. I still love the show but, my god, the plots are awful. Daisy Duke still looks good in those cut off shorts though. :D

that show definitely takes on a whole new meaning with older eyes and mind... i'll never forget watching the dukes with my grandpa, eating cheese nips... i caught a re-run a little while back, and i swear i'm not making this up...

they were coming to the freeze frame commercial break, the dukes were being chased by two girls in another car, who took out guns and started to fire at the general lee, and the narrator comes on and states:

"y'know, there's just nothing good about a woman on the wrong end of a gun..."

THE WRONG END OF A GUN!!!! thus denoting that the right end of a gun for a woman to be on is the business end! i couldn't believe my ears!!!!!!

Darth Shifty
08-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn

THE WRONG END OF A GUN!!!! thus denoting that the right end of a gun for a woman to be on is the business end! i couldn't believe my ears!!!!!!

That is absolutely hilarious! Ahhhh, the good ol' days.... When no one was politically correct and people didn't care who they offended.

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
avatar. OH MY GARSH!!!!!!!!!! I...................DO............................ ........NOT...............
RE.................MEM.........BER DAVID HASSELHOFF HAVING AN AFRO!!!!!!!!!!.:crazed:
It was quite weird how you forget or really never knew for that matter. A similar effect can be done by digging out old high school yearbooks too. I used to think Michael Knight's black vinyl jacket was cool too.

Exhaust Port
08-10-2002, 12:40 AM
I love the episode where he was stranded in the desert and kept his black leather jacket on the whole time. He must have reeked of Funk by the time he was rescued.

Which car tech. did you like better? Bonnie or Penny (I think that was her name)?

I always thought Penny was more cute than Bonnie even though she wore those awful 80's big rimmed glasses.

JediTricks
08-10-2002, 03:23 AM
Wasn't that the 2nd half of a 2parter where KITT and Michael have been driven off a cliff and barely survive, and Michael has to convert KITT's engine into a ramjet to use the air to propel KITT back to FLAG headquarters without fuel?

Bonnie was the original, April was the poseur, RC3 was the abomination. I choose Bonnie! Cuter and a better actress, and had better rapport with KITT and Michael.

2-1B
08-10-2002, 03:52 AM
As a kid I thought Michael Caine and the guy who played Devin were one and the same.

mabudonicus
08-10-2002, 08:50 AM
Yeah, the desert episode, the one vs the transport truck, right, after those missilesand stuff (and the "fins" for turbo boost) were put on KITT- JT, that "ramjet" speech he gave(to KITT, wasn't uit) stcuk in my head too... weird........ that's why i'm posting this...
Ever see the film "Knight 2000" or something, where KITT's brain gets put into a 57 chevy?? that was a retty funny deal.... KITT actually SWEARS in it too....

QLD
08-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Is that the one with the evil Michael Knight? You know, it was David Hasselhoff with a phony moustache? And with the evil KITT? What about that episode?

And what about the A-Team episode where they all drink poison milk and are dying. Hannibal makes it to some dames house who frees Murdoch from the loony bin, and they go and save them. Not sure if that's the same one where Murdoch gets shot though.
The whole series, and I think Murdoch is the only person who ever got shot.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 10:52 PM
The only thing I can think that freaked me out was Michael Jackson going from black to white and then from him to Janet or Diana Ross. Just tripped me out a little bit I guess, every time I look at him now I just laugh cause it's so dam funny.:)

Exhaust Port
08-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Yes, April was her name, thanks JT.

mabudonicus
08-11-2002, 10:25 AM
hey, speaking of celebrities flashing back and freaking out...
a few years ago david carradine wanted to go to a game at Skydome in Toronto (jays or raptors, not sure which)... he was drunk and (if I recall correctly) didn't have tickets, so he tried to talk his way in, saying "don't you know who I AM?? I played kwai chang cain on Kung Fu", and after argueing for a bit with security, he flipped out and tried to "kung fu" his way through the doors...
just a little anecdote for ya's

scruffziller
08-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Is that the one with the evil Michael Knight? You know, it was David Hasselhoff with a phony moustache? And with the evil KITT? What about that episode?

And what about the A-Team episode where they all drink poison milk and are dying. Hannibal makes it to some dames house who frees Murdoch from the loony bin, and they go and save them. Not sure if that's the same one where Murdoch gets shot though.
The whole series, and I think Murdoch is the only person who ever got shot.

I don't seem to remember an evil Michael Knight? Evil KITT yes.
It was the same KITT, just a virus got planted in him.

jjreason
08-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Lynda Carter still looks pretty good in the Wonder Woman outfit.
Some nicely matched pairs of "accessories" never go out of style....

JediTricks
08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Caesar, poor Edward Mulhare! :D

Originally posted by mabudon
Yeah, the desert episode, the one vs the transport truck, right, after those missilesand stuff (and the "fins" for turbo boost) were put on KITT- JT, that "ramjet" speech he gave(to KITT, wasn't uit) stcuk in my head too... weird........ that's why i'm posting this...
Ever see the film "Knight 2000" or something, where KITT's brain gets put into a 57 chevy?? that was a retty funny deal.... KITT actually SWEARS in it too.... Truck: Goliath, I believe.

Fins: I think that's a different ep, that's the one where KITT's molecular-bond shell is counteracted by a liquid sprayed from a street sweeper and he's totally destroyed and FLAG loses their money or something, then Bonnie and some gangbangers led by RC3 rebuild KITT along with a new convertible mode and a Super Pursuit Mode.

Knight Rider 2000: From the early '90s, part of the "Action Pack" series of movies which spawned Tekwar and Hercules. Michael has been retired for years, and KITT is sold off to various tech firms to pay for the new version. A city cop is shot in the head and she requires one of KITT's chips to keep her alive. Michael gets brought back on the condition that KITT is there, but only a box of parts remains, so Michael puts KITT's systems into his '57 Chevy (yeah right, like Michael Knight could do that) and then later into the replacement for KITT's body - a red Pontiac Banshee with KITT-style refinements. It was cute, clearly supposed to be a pilot for a new series, but didn't cut it. Also in the Action Pack was the Knight Rider 2010 movie, but that had NOTHING to do with the real Knight Rider. Later, Team Knight Rider hit syndication, died, and now is being "forgotten" for the upcoming Super Knight Rider 3000.

Quite-Long Dong, the evil Michael Knight was Wilton Knight's real son Garthe Knight (since Michael Long had facial reconstructive surgery when he became Michael Knight, it was meant to look like Wilton's son) who drove the evil mega-truck Goliath. Garthe had the classic Trek "opposite bad guy" facial hair to show he wasn't Michael, and was in 3 eps.

"Evil" KITT was actually KARR - the Knight Automated Roving Robot - who was KITT's predecessor. KARR was another Trans Am only with yellow "sensor" lights and a brown fade at the bottom of the trim. KARR had full independence and went nuts becoming a criminal mastermind who wanted to destroy all things FLAG, he was locked away and went mad, and eventually broke out and began his reign of terror - even after being destroyed 3 times! KARR was in at least 4 eps.

Exhaust Port
08-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Garthe had the classic Trek "opposite bad guy" facial hair to show he wasn't Michael, and was in 3 eps.

Don't forget that Garth carried a cane.

"That can't be Micheal Knight, this guy has a cane." ;)

mabudonicus
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
What about the classic knightrider episode where (and this happens on every show he's been part of, somehow) there's this evil record producer (or something), and to get close enough to the guy, Michael has to become part of this cheesy duet... there are lots of scenes from him performing live, with all of these outrageous costumes... I have that one on tape somewheres..
JT- yeah, goliath was the truck alright, and that's knight 2000 alright.... it was pretty rotten, but not as bad as the six million dollar man reunion... I was so psyched for that, and it stunk on ice....

Mandalorian Candidat
08-13-2002, 04:55 PM
What was the spoof's name of Knight Rider on The Simpsons? Knight Boat or something like that?

Homer: There's always a river, or an inlet, or a fjord.

Does anyone remember Janet Jackson on Diff'rent Strokes? It was back before her cleavage was her trademark and before Wacko Jacko turned white. I remember that one episode when she and Willis were planning on doing it but their plans got foiled by Arnold or Mr. D. Ahh, the innocent 80's.

mabudonicus
08-14-2002, 04:31 PM
Yeah, MC, night boat is correct... I laugh at that every time, it seems.... my fave "stretch" in Knight rider was this episode where he got caught by guards in this fenced-in compound... he just ran away and hopped the fence, meanwhile the guards sent hundreds of uzi rounds in his direction (spraying like mad, of course) and only managed to hit the chain link fence posts on either side of him....
I also love the way the A team could get into an ACTUAL, bona-fide WAR in a downtown area, and the cops would never show up, not even coincidentally.....
Yes, the innocent days indeed....

Exhaust Port
08-14-2002, 08:38 PM
"Micheal you don't need to yell, I'm all around you." - KITT from Knightboat

"Don't you EVER badmouth Knightboat." - Homer

...great stuff.

Speaking of "streching it" in Knight Rider, how about KITT turbo-boosting from the top of a parking deck into the floor of an office building across the street. AND he got back out?!?! He truly was an amazing car. ;)

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by mabudon
Yeah, MC, night boat is correct... I laugh at that every time, it seems.... my fave "stretch" in Knight rider was this episode where he got caught by guards in this fenced-in compound... he just ran away and hopped the fence, meanwhile the guards sent hundreds of uzi rounds in his direction (spraying like mad, of course) and only managed to hit the chain link fence posts on either side of him....
I also love the way the A team could get into an ACTUAL, bona-fide WAR in a downtown area, and the cops would never show up, not even coincidentally.....
Yes, the innocent days indeed.... I love how the A-Team could get in a bonafide war in a downtown area and NOBODY would get badly hurt, not even the bad guys!

Night Boat was a pretty funny goof. "Night Boat, the crime-solving boat!"

What I loved about Knight Rider was that in Pursuit Mode (and even more so in Super Pursuit Mode), KITT would almost NEVER run into traffic situations even though he was going in excess of 200mph. Where did all this traffic go for miles and miles?

mabudonicus
08-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Yeah, the empty streets of LA... it's weird, but I never even caught on till the late 80s..... and the oddest thing about the A team was that VAN with BA driving it..... like no one would ever see that obvious customised van with the most recognizable man in america driving it and think "hey, isn't that the official vehicle of americas most sought-after criminals??" then matbe phone some kind of authorities for a reward or something??? That van.... the mohawk.... great disguise???
Like on the Fall guy, where Colt would go undercover by wearing a fake moustache and changing the words on the logo on the hood of his super recognizable truck... how'd he get away with that for 5 seasons???

Exhaust Port
08-15-2002, 09:47 AM
Argh, Super-Pursuit Mode. Once that made an appearance I wasn't as much of a fan as a kid. How could all that junk popping out make the car go faster?

I always loved watching KITT racing through the streets at 150 mph+ until I noticed the leaves on the trees were moving around at 150+ mph. "Hey, KITT's not that fast, they just sped the tape up!"

Mandalorian Candidat
08-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Speaking of KR, does anyone recall that thing you could mail away for that had the "schematics" to KITT? I'm not sure exactly what it was called, something like The KITT Kit. I remember waiting almost two months to get that stupid thing then it turned out just to be a fold out with a diagram of the car's innards.

I felt just like Ralphie getting his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring in A Christmas Story.

"Don't forget to drink your OVALTINE?!"

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Argh, Super-Pursuit Mode. Once that made an appearance I wasn't as much of a fan as a kid. How could all that junk popping out make the car go faster?

I always loved watching KITT racing through the streets at 150 mph+ until I noticed the leaves on the trees were moving around at 150+ mph. "Hey, KITT's not that fast, they just sped the tape up!" SPM had... um... aerodynamics? How did they fit that T-top roof plus hatchback into the back of the car for that season? Let's face it, never let gang members rebuild your crime-fighting automobile. ;)

I always thought KITT looked less believable at "high speeds" than the Batmobile from the '60s, which was also sped-up tape but at least they took the shocks out to give it more of a swaying feel.

I remember during the early eps of the first season (when KITT only had that big red panel that lit when he talked instead of the 3 moving LED bars) they actually added a 2nd Trans Am-shaped shell to the car for shooting at. KITT would be all normal one moment, then an edit later his windows would all be 5 inches deeper than before and the bumper/headlights didn't line up right.

ManCan, I don't remember that promotion, but I've seen those cheesy blueprints on ebay a few times. I always thought they could have done a TON of merchandising tie-ins with the show if they hadn't released all that Dukes of Hazzard-type cheeseball toy sets.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
ManCan, I don't remember that promotion, but I've seen those cheesy blueprints on ebay a few times. I always thought they could have done a TON of merchandising tie-ins with the show if they hadn't released all that Dukes of Hazzard-type cheeseball toy sets.

I was so excited about it JT that I was utterly disappointed when it finally came. I loved that show so much that I wanted a KITT with MK action figure and the mobile diagnotic center in that semi. I guess it wouldn't have been that great because how many figures could you have made? MK, the car chick of the season, Devin (?!), and KITT. Well, I guess they could make a Garth figure with the Goliath truck. There wasn't any recurring bad guy so you'd get about five things and that would have been it.

If you think about it, what special authority did MK have? He wasn't a cop or a government agency employee, like a G-Man. Heck the FLAG wasn't a government entity of any kind so it had no real clout. It just seemed plausible though that MK and KITT could go just about anywhere they wanted. I guess being a kid makes some of the plot holes and absurdities just go away.

JediTricks
08-16-2002, 10:53 PM
I actually got my grandmother to get me the Kenner talking KITT w/ 9" MK figure and I loved that thing till it got destroyed. :( However, I kinda felt that it was TOO big in a way, the scale forced them to be unable to release a Devon or Bonnie (no, sorry, no April in my roster) fig or anything like alternate MK figs in different costumes or various bimbettes. ;)

The dang set is WAY too expensive to replace these days, so I have settled on the Japanese Hot Wheels version which is nicely accurate.

Michael Knight and FLAG were just the A-team without the army chasing them down. :D