PDA

View Full Version : Funny soft drink advertising

stormie
08-09-2002, 04:38 PM
When searching the Web to find out just what Pibb Xtra is, I ran across this "brilliant" marketing summary from Coca-Cola (the makers of Pibb Xtra) of what Pibb Xtra is and whom it is meant for.

Bolder taste to match your lifestyle
Mr. Pibb was launched in Texas and quickly expanded through much of the U.S. Mr. Pibb appeals to 12-to-15 year olds who are just gaining independence from home and looking for things to call their own. Mr. Pibb enables them to have an uninhibited, fun and unconventional attitude because it has the sweet, refreshing bold taste they need to express their independence.

In 2001, Pibb Xtra was introduced in Houston and Dallas with an intense flavor kick -- a bolder version of the original taste. Its bold taste and graphics appeal to young adults who are looking to get the most out of life and the most out of their soft drink. Based on its tremendous success in Texas, Pibb Xtra will replace Mr Pibb across the U.S. in 2002."

Okay, anyone else laugh out loud when they read this? They're talking about a soda for crying out loud. "...an uninhibited, fun and unconventional attitude because it has the sweet, refreshing bold taste they need to express their independence." What? "...appeal to young adults who are looking to get the most out of life and the most out of their soft drink." Yeah, but does it taste good? ;) If I want to get the most out my soft drink, I might just try a little bourbon in it (Kentucky, not Tennessee). I just don't understand this type of marketing. Do kids really go for soda that has "bold taste and graphics?"

I still have no idea what it's supposed to taste like...

JediTricks
08-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Pepsi and Coke both astound me with their advertising campaigns, but I think Coke really takes the cake for being so incredibly dimwitted as to actually believe if they simply throw catchphrases and buzzwords around that target markets will simply fall in line -- Pepsi at least knows they have to buy off freshly-popular celebrities to hock their slop. Then again, it seems like soda is no longer just a soft drink, it's a way of life... thank goodness for 7-Up, A&W, Shasta, and all those other companies who actually know their place.

Exhaust Port
08-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Don't forget that whole Pepsi "Next Generation" ad campaign and that embarrassing "You got the right one Baby" series of commericals. Pepsi has had their share of stupid catch phrases over the years.

QLD
08-10-2002, 02:46 AM
I hate that stupid little girl Pepsi uses in their commercials.

plasticfetish
08-10-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by stormie
I still have no idea what it's supposed to taste like...

Sounds like it TASTES like teen spirit!

JediTricks
08-10-2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I hate that stupid little girl Pepsi uses in their commercials. Britney Spears? :D

Since WW2, Pepsi has always been about catering to "the next generation", always focusing on the kids rather than trying to capture the soldiers who came back from the war where they had Coke. Pepsi knew that generation was already hooked into the competition so they just aimed their sweeter soda towards the kiddies.

QLD
08-10-2002, 10:22 AM
No JT, the OTHER one. The first one was ok.....but oh my christ! Please make her stop!!!

Nexu
08-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Make 7-Up yours. :D

jjreason
08-13-2002, 02:31 AM
Funniest TV ad Ive ever seen was for Mountain Dew, where the guy challenges the mountain sheep to his soda...it's CG' to look like the 20 year old guy and the sheep are butting heads - and the graphics are MONEY. It's so cool, I kill myself laughing at that ad.

scruffziller
08-13-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
No JT, the OTHER one. The first one was ok.....but oh my christ! Please make her stop!!!

You mean the female version of Haley Joel Osment that was in Bicentennial man.

I like the new Mountain Dew one where the old lady throws the guy out of the cab.

QLD
08-13-2002, 10:46 AM
I never saw Bicentennial Man. But it's the little curly haired brunette. Make her go away!!!!

stormie
08-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Okay, anybody try this Pibb Xtra stuff yet? If so, what's it taste like? I've only seen it in 12-pk form, so I'm not about to shell out for 12 cans of something I might not like. ;)

Anyone? Pibb Xtra? Taste? Anyone? ;)