PDA

View Full Version : Why in the world are they releasing a repackaged Jedi Starfighter?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-09-2002, 04:41 PM
So KB seems to be releasing the Jedi Starfighter with a JSP Obi-Wan. Why the heck are they doing that? I see plenty of JS's and plenty of JSP Obi-Wan's around. The same deal with Slave I- A K-Mart Exclusive?! Of all stores, why that one?!.

rynobot
08-09-2002, 04:49 PM
they like to rape their consumers.

Beast
08-09-2002, 04:56 PM
How is that raping the consumer? It's not like you have to buy it. It's the exact same Jedi Starfighter and the exact same Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Starfighter Pilot. All that is new is the packaging, and unless you are a packaged collector, then there really is no reason to buy one. People that don't have one yet, or planned to buy a second one, just have another option, that's all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Which Jango will the Slave I come with?

Beast
08-09-2002, 05:35 PM
It's supposed to be the Pilot Jango that was shown at the San Diego Comic Con. Luckily I waited on buying the Slave 1 so far, so that I can get this set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Makes sense. I'll be buying both separately, myself!

DarthBrandon
08-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
How is that raping the consumer? It's not like you have to buy it. It's the exact same Jedi Starfighter and the exact same Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Starfighter Pilot. All that is new is the packaging, and unless you are a packaged collector, then there really is no reason to buy one. People that don't have one yet, or planned to buy a second one, just have another option, that's all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
I can understand that JarJarBinks, but maybe some people are tired of items being redone, over and over again. I for one am sick to death of this, and I know what you are going to say before you say it. The fact is, if people missed out the first time around, then Hasbro usually has reissues of those items. My point is, why one right after the other, the Jedi starfighter is only 4 months old at best. So why can't they make something else that hasn't been made and then go back to making the reissues.
I also hear that Hasbro is coming out with Slave I and Jango pilot to go along with it. This just seems way too ridiculous to me, I would think that somebody on that nightmare team from hell could do better than that. What's next, Jedi Starfighter with Obi-Wan and removable droid, or better yet Slave I and Jango Pilot, plus little Boba with firing cannon.:) Everything is getting too dam repetitive for me. Kinda like my posts.:D

hango fett
08-09-2002, 07:25 PM
the slave-1 is an awsome ship. but it deserves to be an exclusive to target or not exclusive at all, not a rinky dink k-mart exclusive!
YF

LTBasker
08-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by brandon
So why can't they make something else that hasn't been made and then go back to making the reissues.
I also hear that Hasbro is coming out with Slave I and Jango pilot to go along with it. This just seems way too ridiculous to me, I would think that somebody on that nightmare team from hell could do better than that. What's next, Jedi Starfighter with Obi-Wan and removable droid, or better yet Slave I and Jango Pilot, plus little Boba with firing cannon.:) Everything is getting too dam repetitive for me. Kinda like my posts.:D

It's not like they're making a new mold or anything for a new version. It's the same as buying the figure and vehicle at once except only ONE thing goes into the bag. Plus it's a store exclusive, they're not gonna take over and flood every store's shelves. No worry, if people want it, they'll go to the store and pick it up, if they don't, then they just won't pick it up. It's just a mere store exclusive packaging variant, kinda like the theater edition Luke was just a packaging variant for the theaters, of course these will be more widespread.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

It's not like they're making a new mold or anything for a new version. It's the same as buying the figure and vehicle at once except only ONE thing goes into the bag. Plus it's a store exclusive, they're not gonna take over and flood every store's shelves. No worry, if people want it, they'll go to the store and pick it up, if they don't, then they just won't pick it up. It's just a mere store exclusive packaging variant, kinda like the theater edition Luke was just a packaging variant for the theaters, of course these will be more widespread.

My point is LTBasker, that with the new movie out, they should be focusing on new stuff. It's like you have to wait a year and a half just to get some other vehicles, besides the Starfighter and Slave I that's been made twice already this year. I don't mind the idea of resculpts and reissues as long as they do it after a long period of time has passed. Four months apart is way to short a time frame in my books. Bring something new to the table besides a Republic Gunship and two others already done. I know that they are exclusives, but really, what is the point of them at this period and time. I guess what I'm trying to say is I wish Hasbro would stop rehashing stuff and make new items instead. Enough of my blabbering, I'm out of hear bro.:)

LTBasker
08-10-2002, 01:10 AM
My point is: They're not taking away from anything new, they're just packaging variants that the store I guess wanted as an exclusive. If they hadn't been wanting to take it, they probably wouldn't of been made in the first place. I think it's just to "convience" the shoppers there to get more money due to store closings. Ya know, it's just something that's there, like other packaging variant exclusives, except it's just more there than the other exclusives were.

At least TARGET didn't grab it, then they can't complain about them sitting around not selling to have another reason to not carry as much Star Wars so they can under-order and peeve off Star Wars fans.

Plus I'm sure other Star Wars collectors who aren't really in the know (kids perhaps? ;)) would have more fun getting the figure packed with the vehicle than they would have if they had look for a figure just to have the exact character for doing their own versions of those scenes. :)

rynobot
08-10-2002, 01:13 AM
I still want a Hail Fire Droid and a Spider Droid I'd pay 30-40 for each. I'd shell out $20 for the small Spider Droid and $50 for an At- Et

Darth forb1us
08-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
I still want a Hail Fire Droid and a Spider Droid I'd pay 30-40 for each. I'd shell out $20 for the small Spider Droid and $50 for an At- Et

I like the way this man thinks :evil: go $30 on the HF and Spider, $20 for the small spider, and $40 for the at-et :D :stupid:

JEDIpartner
08-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Well... I've often thought it "stupid" to be an in-the-box collector with the ships. More often than not, you get a box with no way to see what's inside of it. "How do you know it's not a brick inside the box or that it's not broken", I often ask. I suppose this way... the in-the-box collectors can still have them in the boxes and see the actual item! :D

I still open everything, so I matters not to me. I already have this... in some form.

QLD
08-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Yeah, i open everything, but it seems a little like a waste of time. However, if I didn't have either, it would be good.

Imagine how ****ed you would be if they added a few extra ccessories, and you already had the original releases. :D

Old Fossil
08-10-2002, 02:52 PM
They should have released both the Starfighter and the Slave-1 with those pack-ins to begin with. I guarantee they would have sold better, even with the price jacked up the extra $5 or so apiece.

I'll take a chance and predict that neither of these ships will fly off the shelves. The original releases are still shelfwarmers in most stores.

Darth forb1us
08-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Most boxed items I will open, because if not, all you have is a $30 box! Whats the point in that!!!
Now, if it has a window, and a nice view of the ship/creature I will keep it boxed... until I get bored and tear that badboy open :D
but without the window, it gets opened. Because its way to much money to keep one boxed, one opened etc etc. Even the creatures though, Reek.. why keep that boxed? Set up a diorama with him!
Now the figures is differant, gotta have a whole set of 3 3/4's and 12"ers moc/mib :) and the scene/diorama/best figures get duped and opened hehe

What would you do if you opened say, Acklay, and BAM you've got a brick staring at you!
hahaha

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Darth forb1us
What would you do if you opened say, Acklay, and BAM you've got a brick staring at you!
hahaha

I would go to Hasbro with my nerf ball bat, and start some serious swinging.:D

redfive41101
08-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Seems a bit silly releasing it like that. It seems they could have done something new like the hailfire droid or AT-TE.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by redfive41101
Seems a bit silly releasing it like that. It seems they could have done something new like the hailfire droid or AT-TE.

See that's what I've been saying all along, give us something new and keep the reissues at bay until 2006 or 2007.:) I really would like to see something original, other than Slave I revised three times, Jedi Starfighter done twice and the Republic Gunship that is just hitting the market right now.

Beast
08-12-2002, 12:55 AM
Now, if they wanted to re-paint and re-issue the Jango version of the Slave 1 as Boba's version with a retooled Boba Fett figure as an exclusive, that would be somthing new that I think most of us would like. I know I would. I was going to buy a second Slave 1 to custom paint that way, but if Hasbro wants to do it for me, I have no complaints. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Now, if they wanted to re-paint and re-issue the Jango version of the Slave 1 as Boba's version with a retooled Boba Fett figure as an exclusive, that would be somthing new that I think most of us would like. I know I would. I was going to buy a second Slave 1 to custom paint that way, but if Hasbro wants to do it for me, I have no complaints. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Why not just buy Jango's version and paint it yourself JarJarBInks, you could probably do better than Hasbro could, I know I can. :D If they did this I would only buy one if they had the cargo hold for Captain Solo, other than that I would do what I said earlier, paint it myself.

P.S. The Boba figure would have to be some awesome looking, for me to buy as well. I already have twenty plus of him as it is.
:)

gibbspaulus
08-12-2002, 04:45 AM
Weren't the starfighter and Slave 'sneak peek' ships? In that case isn't this the same situation as the when the STAP was re-released (only with bigger toys)? I wasn't online back then so I don't know how that reissue was recieved.

Beast
08-12-2002, 05:34 AM
Only the Jedi Starfighter could really be considered a "sneak peek" ship. The Slave 1 was released at the same time as the figures. And the situation with the STAP is very different. It was re-packaged into a smaller box, and sold at retail. The upcoming Starfighter and Slave 1 re-issues will be exclusives. :)

The STAP re-issue was recieved ok, if I remeber. I think that alot of people had trouble finding the first windowboxed version. If I recall correctly anyway. I know that the Battle Droid in the re-packaged versions differs slightly from the window boxed original release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
08-12-2002, 06:54 AM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

They would need to retool the cockpit at least. Instead of the 3 person seating it should have a small hold that can interact with any of the carbonite blocks (adjusting lock pieces) from vintage to even the one that came with the 3-D Jabba's palace and then have a single seat for Boba in front of it. I know in the comic that came with the IG-88 vs. Boba Fett 2-pack, the carbonite block is behind him in the cockpit. Why? I dunno, maybe he wanted to draw funny faces on it, but it would be a good feature nonetheless. :D