PDA

View Full Version : New Package - Your thoughts?

SirSteve
10-18-2001, 11:53 AM
So, after reading the news (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=26&show_article=524), what do you think of the new package?

El Chuxter
10-18-2001, 12:23 PM
Wasn't the entire point of Force Files to justify a generic cardback and, thus, lower production costs?

And why can't they keep with a decent pack-in for a decent amount of time?

lapork
10-18-2001, 12:34 PM
Hehe...

At least there weren't any spelling mistakes on this card, as far as I could read it.

JEDIpartner
10-18-2001, 12:50 PM
I have no clue why Hasbro has gone to such great lengths to continually alter the packaging. It seems like the minute they settle on something, they go and change it. I wasn't a HUGE fan of the FORCE FILES, but it was better than NO pack-in. Oh, well. What can you do? Boycott the line so that they cancel it altogether? I suppose not.

Sheesh!:mad:

evenflow
10-18-2001, 12:52 PM
I wish Hasbro would just make up their minds on what they are going to do. I don't care, as long as the price does not go up.

AmanaMatt
10-18-2001, 01:04 PM
no loss on the force files...

...the image on the front of the new card could be a little bigger; there's a bit of dead space between the top of that image and the Vader/Obi Wan one!

SirSteve
10-18-2001, 01:11 PM
It'll make it easier on me. :)

I have e-mailed Hasbro asking about a price change. I'll post what they say as soon as they reply.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-18-2001, 02:02 PM
Thumbs down on no pack-in if the price stays the same. I like the new packaging in that it's specific for each figure. I still wish we could get something akin to the vintage cards with a huge picture of the character on the front and a checklist on the back.

Why, oh, why can't we get a decent pack-in like a figure stand?

JediCole
10-18-2001, 03:29 PM
For me, the Force Files will not be missed, though I would hope the lack of a pack-in would result in a lower price-point. I somehow doubt it, but it may prevent a price increase. As pack-ins go, the only kind worthwhile would be a figure stand as has been often suggested, but then that would be tantamount to Hasbro admitting that thier figures don't stand on thier own!

Pellaeon
10-18-2001, 03:42 PM
Yes, no force file should equal a cheaper price. But, my guess is that the price will stay the same, if not go up. I will not miss the force file.

It is not clear to me that getting rid of the force file saves Hasbro any money. Sure, it costs money to make the force files different for each figure, but now they will have to make different cards for each figure, UNLESS, they just slap a sticker photo on....

Lobito
10-18-2001, 05:35 PM
I liked the force files a lot...so it seems that we wont see them again...or...can it be?? I was watching the picture (front carded)...and it appears the plastic that holds the figure expands to the place the force files were packed...or is it just a sticker...have a look again...:rolleyes:

Sidiously Darth
10-18-2001, 08:39 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just have a price increase. I know it was just Wal-Mart, but it was a price increase none the less.

I really don't think Hasbro has a reason to raise the price. They just saved themselves a few cents by taking out the Force Files. If they do, that's just tantemount to greed.

Let's look at this from a manufacturing point of view. Making these figures is along the lines of producing cds. Besides the couple of dollars it costs to make them, everything else is profit.

Yet I keep buying the things.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-18-2001, 09:02 PM
Correct me If I'm wrong, but didn't Hasblo state that the POTJ line--due to the disappointing sales of Episode I toys--will be cheaper than the Ep1 toys? Now they've dropped the Force Files from their package (any reason given?) and they kept their prices the same (with the exception of Wal-Mart which had them at $5.86 but then raised them to $6.44)? Who's running the show there, Richard Nixon? Ebeneazer Scrooge?

hamsterboy
10-19-2001, 01:28 AM
Why didn't Hasbro do this in the first place?

GNT
10-19-2001, 02:39 AM
Yes, no force file should equal a cheaper price. But, my guess is that the price will stay the same, if not go up. I will not miss the force file.

Why would the price go down? Force files cost less than %0c to make so don't expect to see one

Now they've dropped the Force Files from their package (any reason given?)

They change the card or pack in every year to "refresh" the line.Personaly I think they are moving in the direction of big photos!

JediTricks
10-19-2001, 03:32 AM
It looks a little gappy and sloppy, I think they could have done better. However, at least now they don't have to think up a ton of stuff to shove in the JFFs.

This better be the move that Hasbro said was coming last year, where the JFFs symbolized lower prices but only Wal-Mart recognized this. I think the figures really are still MSRPing for 5.99 instead of the 6.99 we're seeing now, but retailers are refusing to drop the price. If Hasbro can get them to drop the price back down to 5.99, then the cardback will be acceptable IMO. If they fail to do so, then the cardback will be a problem.

Why wasn't this question this week's poll?

OC47150
10-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Sorry to change the subject but does that new Imperial officer have 70s sideburns? From the picture it looks like he does. I found that to be a little odd.

The packaging change doesn't bother me. The force files are nice but when you start army building and get more than two of the same file, there's only so little you can do with them.

JediCole
10-19-2001, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth

Let's look at this from a manufacturing point of view. Making these figures is along the lines of producing cds. Besides the couple of dollars it costs to make them, everything else is profit.

Sid,
Though your point about manufacturing costs is a valid one, it ignores one key element in the price of these figures. Unlike G.I. Joe (Hasbro) or Masters of the Universe (Mattel) where the manufacturer owns the property, Star Wars is a licensed property. Hasbro has to pay for the rights to the name, the characters, the likenesses, the images, and designs, for every single figure and vehicle. And as you might suspect, the Master Toy License for Star Wars comes with a hefty price tag. So bear in mind, you are not just paying for plastic injected into molds, parts assembled and painted then packaged for sale. You are also paying for Hasbro to have the opportunity to bring us toys based on our favorite movies series. And that opportunity probably costs more per figure than the cost to take it from artist's sketch to carded figure.
Just a thought to clarify the cost issue. The real "pure profit" comes from the toy company owned imprints (like those mentioned above).

SirSteve
10-19-2001, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Why wasn't this question this week's poll?

Polls are done once every 2 weeks.

stillakid
10-19-2001, 11:24 AM
The latest figures have been a lot more complicated than previous versions, with articulation and far more detail. Do better figures cost more to design and manufacter than the older models?

Fixer
10-19-2001, 01:19 PM
We've gone from plain cardbacks to holo stickers to Flashback ...um, things... to Commtech chips, to Force Files and back to plain cardbacks.

It is nice to have the unique cardbacks again, but the FFs were growing on me. Well, there probably won't be more than a dozen figures on these cards anyway until the Ep II/generic Star Wars packaging takes over.

I don't think we'll see a drop in price, even if H-bro starts shipping the figures in baggies. Retailers and the mighty H are still blotting up the red ink from the Ep I fiasco. They need all the bucks they can make on figures that actually sell.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-19-2001, 02:41 PM
Why would the price go down? Force files cost less than %0c to make so don't expect to see one

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

The actual force file may cost next to nothing but screwing up all the typesetting, then attempting to fix it multiple times cost as much as the GNP of Chile. ;)

darth chuck
10-19-2001, 11:05 PM
Personally, I thought the force files were superfluous garbage in the first place. I say lose them, slap a sticker onto a generic card back and get the price to less than $6.00

Since I have been in Korea, I have had my wife buy my figs for me and I am tired of being nagged for how much I spend on them. sigh - I remember when they were $1.98 retail at the mall. (1980)

In any event, you can't say production costs don't go down by not including a pack-in. Even if it is only a few cents, multiply that by not only U.S. but worldwide distribution.

Tycho
10-20-2001, 03:38 AM
I just want to add my voice to those who would appreciate action figure stands as pack-ins. I COULD use those.

With Hasbro buying WOTC, you'd think we could just have those clear Star Wars Insider stands, and that'd be cheap as well as advertise for them. Since the stands are clear (even the SWI logo), they will work into dioramas seamlessly, as well as hold true for folks who just want their loose stuff to stand up.

Generally speaking, I don't need any pack-in. I mean I think the Force Files were the very first pack-in I ever bothered to look at (I am proud to not own a CommTech reader!) and I didn't really bother with Freeze Frames either. Why use a slide projector or "macrobinoculars?" If I wanted to see those scenes, I'd use a VCR ; )

Anyway, I buy the figures because they are Star Wars figures and the sculpts and articulation, detailing, are usually in a constant state of improving every year - as are some of the character selections.

Action figure stands are the only thing I can use. But yeah, go to the Vintage-style large pictures if your going to bother with individual card-backing Hasbro.

sith_killer_99
10-20-2001, 08:13 AM
Here's an issue noone seems to have addressed yet. What about re-pack's? We already have lots of figures with Force Files, so what happens when Hasbro ships these things LATER?

Will they ship older figs with JFF's or will they re-pack them without the Force Files?

Before you all start shaking your heads think about this. Hasbro released Darth Vader (same sculpt) on Orange Card, Green Card without Holo, Green Card with Holo, AND Freeze Frame!

So what's to stop them from trying to cash in on those poor variation hunters?

And just think about how rare the Freeze Frame figs became (Coll. 3)! Will we see some poor fool paying $400.00 for a STUPID Jar-Jar with Force File 5-10 years from now?

I still cringe when I think about a $400.00 (MOMC) Weequay Freeze Frame! What a rip-off!

stillakid
10-20-2001, 10:44 AM
If the price of a figure is that high just because of a lame packaging difference, maybe it's time to reevaluate collecting all the tiny variations. As I stated on another board, it seems to me that people only collect the minutia because they think that it will bring them huge profits down the line. The only reason for that line of thinking is that the original line rose in value. The only reason for that is because interest waned in the mid-Eighties when the core consumer went to high school and got interested in girls. The differences at this time are enormous starting with the fact that EVERYBODY and their mother collect these things and every new figure that comes out. There is no shortage of figures and most people who collect avidly probably have a fairly complete collection. You'll be hard pressed to find yourself being the only one with all the variations. It's the rarity that makes it valuable.

Having said that, any pack-ins are just bonus junk anyway. Stands would be practical, but we managed through the early years without anything at all.

Rogue II
02-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Wasn't the entire point of Force Files to justify a generic cardback and, thus, lower production costs?

And why can't they keep with a decent pack-in for a decent amount of time?

I won't miss the Force Files. Including a stand might be nice, I just hope they don't pack in holographic mini figures or bring back those stupid coins from the POTF days.

jjreason
02-23-2007, 09:27 PM
"What are you nuts? Don't you know that coin collecting is the hottest thing going these days?"