PDA

View Full Version : Should we allow FREE e-mail accounts?

SirSteve
08-11-2002, 01:35 AM
I am wondering if we should continue to allow "free" e-mail accounts like yahoo and hotmail. What it may boil down to is quality of posts or quantity based on what we decide. Removing "free" e-mail accounts would make the moderating job much easier as most people tend to behave more if they are using their real ISP e-mail account. This is not saying everyone using a free e-mail account does not post quality posts. I would like your input on this matter.

DarthBrandon
08-11-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
I am wondering if we should continue to allow "free" e-mail accounts like yahoo and hotmail. What it may boil down to is quality of posts or quantity based on what we decide. Removing "free" e-mail accounts would make the moderating job much easier as most people tend to behave more if they are using their real ISP e-mail account. This is not saying everyone using a free e-mail account does not post quality posts. I would like your input on this matter.

This may be a great way to clean up some of the unnecessary garbage and language that floats around from time to time on the SSG forums. I always thought that if you had an Internet account then you would already have an e-mail account as well, so there isn't any need for hotmail or Yahoo. I'm all for it as long as it doesn't interfere with someone who may not be able to get a regular e-mail account because he or she is at work during their on-line time. I also think that this may deter individuals from joining this site because of the discrimination involved in the process. You have great moderators and great members that always let you know what’s up, if they have a problem, so maybe you should leave it the way it is. It will mean less griping in the long run. Just my opinion on the matter, you hold the power for the ultimate decision. :)

SirSteve
08-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Anyone else?

haggis
08-12-2002, 03:21 PM
The only reason that I use a hotmail account for boards like these is the immense amount of spam I inevitably end up finding in my Inbox as a result of signing up(not from SirSteve's, necessarily). I always choose to not share my email address if the option is offered but it doesn't seem to work out. This way, at least I keep the spam at one location and the 'serious' stuff at the other. I understand your concern though. Choose wisely...and thanks for asking our opinions.

SirSteve
08-12-2002, 03:51 PM
You can hide your e-mail address via the User CP. We never sell our user database to anyone.

2-1B
08-12-2002, 04:11 PM
I use Yahoo email, I don't have a local address . . . would this be grandfathered in? :(

Nexu
08-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Yes, what about users of Cable and DSL. Not all of them recieve email accounts, do they?
I don't think you should ban free email accounts, that would be bad. I think some of the younger kids that rack up massive amounts amounts of posts don't belong here, but this isn't the wat to do it. :/

SirSteve
08-12-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Yes, what about users of Cable and DSL. Not all of them recieve email accounts, do they?
I don't think you should ban free email accounts, that would be bad. I think some of the younger kids that rack up massive amounts amounts of posts don't belong here, but this isn't the wat to do it. :/

Yes, they do get their own e-mail accounts as well.

Nexu
08-12-2002, 04:37 PM
I see.

2-1B
Steve, would this be grandfathered in or a retroactive application?

Beast
I don't think it's a good idea at all Sir Steve. I use the E-Mail that comes with my ISP, but alot of people don't. Not to mention there is those smaller ISP's that don't offer E-Mail service. I'd hate to have many decent forumites get excluded, in an attempt to cut down on the less then steller ones that have been plauging the forums as of late. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-12-2002, 04:47 PM
I think the moderators would be better served by nipping some of the "garbage" in the bud, instead of letting things get out of hand in some cases . . . if someone post pads his or her way up to 2000 posts in a matter of months, it's kinda hard to address the issues AFTER the damage has been done.
The mods lose hand.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I use Yahoo email, I don't have a local address . . . would this be grandfathered in? :(

I think we should ban Caesar outright. His deranged Rick MC avatar has been chasing me in my nightmares. ;)

I think Caesar has a point. Grandfather in the ones who've been around for a while and have been using their free e-mail account (if that's possible to do with your forum software) and just require new accounts to be under a "more static" IP address.

While moderators have the responsibility to police their respective forums, they can't be on the site all the time constantly monitoring every last post. By having users use their "real" e-mail accounts I think we'll have less riff-raff popping up and throwing out their trashy posts.

I consider this site to be a good community, just like where I live. You want your neighbors to be in zoned housing and not sleeping in refrigerator boxes in front of your yard, leaving empty bottles of Thunderbird behind. I think it's the same for using the more legit e-mail accounts. So I guess that would make Caesar the local squatter who's been living in the culvert at the end of the block for ages. :D

Just playing witchya, C!

macewindu87
08-22-2002, 10:00 PM
what about the people that really don't have the ability to pay for there e-mail accounts and have a hard enough time paying for there internet already. I don't think that is being fair to the ones that don't have the money. I use e-pals because my family has financial problems when it comes to paying for the internet.
mace
I am very concerned about this subject and i hope you don't decide in removing the free-email accounts from your site, but it is your site.

hango fett
08-23-2002, 09:56 AM
i guess i would be a good idea....but it's your site. do as you wish!! but if you want the forumites to decide, then i say yes!
h

Jedi Master Silas
09-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Hello :) I dont like giving my permenant email address simply because I dont like exposing my "real" info to anyone I dont know personally. Cant you get the users ISP numbers instead and keep the info in a secure location? I entered my info (email addy)on another SW board which was supposed to be for members use only and got so much spam I had to change my user info. What about folks who have limited pc access and only have a free email account? It's sad that folks just dont know how the heck to act and steps have to be taken to remedy situations in which innocent will loose out on such a great forum. As for me I think my position is well noted. I hope you dont deny the use of free email accounts. Thanks! This is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions! LOL

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 07:56 PM
email addresses are NEVER shown in the public board here, even if you tell it to allow mail (if you allow mail, it'll use the SSG mailthrough system which doesn't show email addresses and requires being a logged-in user to use). Either way, only SirSteve can see your email address directly.

Nexu
09-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Yes, but when the person gets your email, it shows your email right on it.

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Yes, but when the person gets your email, it shows your email right on it.
So don't use the email system to send outgoing mail. If you are that concerned about email anonymity, use PM instead. It's a service for you to receive mail without threat of exposing your email address, not to send it anonymously.

Nexu
09-04-2002, 10:08 PM
I was pointing out that something you posted was wrong. I said nothing about PM's.

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 10:13 PM
I was pointing out that something you posted was wrong. I said nothing about PM's.
I wasn't wrong, perhaps you misunderstood me. I was saying that if you allow the system to let you get mail, you're still not displaying your address. I said nothing about sending email, you brought that up. Perhaps I didn't communicate my earlier point clear enough, so I'll make it again to be sure:

If you allow the system to let you receive email through these forums, your address will not be shown to the sender.

That has nothing to do with the sending aspect, I am not talking about the sending aspect. If you send email through the system, you will of course be allowing the recipient to see your email address, how else could they respond to your email? That's why I suggested PM if you want to send a message without your email address attached.

Jedi Master Silas
09-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Well like I said..what about the folks who only have a free account?? I see what your saying about changing your options to not expose your addy or not receiving email and just using PM but if someone only hasONLY a free email account they : A- Will be booted out of the forums if this goes into effect? B- Will not be able to join at all with a free account after this goes into effect?

Nexu
09-04-2002, 10:18 PM
OK, I misread. I'm sorry, it's getting late.

JediTricks
09-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Silas, I don't have an answer which will satisfy that point, because it's either all or nothing and since the freemail signup situation has been badly abused over the past 2 weeks, I can see why Steve might not want to allow freemail accounts to sign up here. Either we allow freemail accounts and people continue to abuse the forums through them, or we don't allow them and cut off genuine freemail users. I don't see a middle ground, though if any of you have one, I'm sure we'll all be glad to listen.

Current freemail users will not be booted, but newbies will not be allowed to sign up with freemail accounts.

Nexu, no big deal, everybody makes mistakes from time to time.

Nexu
09-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Yeah, but I have to stop jumping to conclusions so fast, and so harsh.

Jedi Master Silas
09-05-2002, 12:36 AM
I see your point Tricks. It's just a darn shame that people dont know how to act anymore. I quess you have to do what you have to do. Good luck :)

2-1B
09-05-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
since the freemail signup situation has been badly abused over the past 2 weeks

JT, are you talking about spam or multiple accounts? Because multiple accounts have been documented going back several months, if not longer . . .
:)

JediTricks
09-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Multiple accounts really, and I mention the past 2 weeks because that's when alternate accountholders were really acting out. Before August, it really wasn't much of a problem, these alternate characters didn't say much and it never really caught the staff's notice so not much administration was needed in that department.

Silas, I wasn't kidding before, if you (or anybody) has any ideas on a solution for this, speak up on the issue, it'll be greatly appreciated. We definitely want a better solution on this than our current options.

Jedi Master Silas
09-05-2002, 07:34 PM
I'm no great computer wiz by any means but can you keep track of everyones ISP #? If so can you just allow one user per ISP # and just block it if they violate the forum rules???? Like I said I'm not pc intelligent but would this work??

Nexu
09-05-2002, 09:46 PM
If everyone had cable, or DSL. :)
When you are signed on the internet, you are given an IP address. This is your ID for that session. On dial-up, it generally changes every time you sign on. You end up with the same one every once in a while, but it is a rotating cycle out of a range of IP's. This is called a dynamic IP. Cable and DSL, on the other hand, are different. They have static IP. You use the same one, constantly. To view your IP in Windows 95, 98, ME, type winipcfg in the Start> Run box. Hit enter. Change the dialogue, until it shows IP address. This is your IP for the session. In NT, 2000, XP, go into your network properties. I am not exactly sure where, because I am booted into ME right now. It's either under Modem options, Network options, or Internet settings. The first two are under the Control Panel, and the last is under Tools> Internet Options under IE. :)

That what you wanted to know? ;)

Jedi Master Silas
09-06-2002, 01:05 AM
LOL Thanks for the pc class Nexu! How much do I owe you??? :)

Nexu
09-06-2002, 07:33 AM
First one's free of charge. ;)

JediTricks
09-06-2002, 03:52 PM
First one's free of charge. ;)
That's how they hook you! ;)

Besides Nexu's point about IP changing, there are other technical reasons that are equally complicated. But the short answer is "no".

BanthaPoodoo
09-09-2002, 01:02 PM
For NT, 2000 you go to command promt and type:

for basic information:
ipconfig

for more detailed information:
ipconfig /all

This will give your IP address.

BTW, good explanation Nexu.

Tonysmo
09-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Im not a newbie, although my posts may reflect that, but I did sign up using my hotmail account, which like others, I use for sites that dont really need my true personal email.. at first anyway. Of course this site has reflected a positive towards filling my inbox with worthless stuf***e, and I appreciate that - not like it matters anymore, as Spam seems to lurks EVERYWHERE... I would however, like to know ahead of time though, if I'll need to change my email to remain a part of the group. I may not get here as often as I would like, so please keep me informed..

Thanks!
Tsmo!

Jargo
10-03-2002, 03:28 PM
What about those who don't have personal e-mail accounts because they use a college PC which is shared and non personal.
Shared use is rife. You gonna ban them outright just cuz they don't have a personal IP addie? That sucks - and blows - both at the same time. Not everybody can afford the luxury of a PC. So the only alternative for them is to use a crummy internet cafe or a college PC bank machine. You're going to exclude the unfortunate then just for being that - unfortunate and poor. BOOO sucks to you!

:p

Turbowars
10-06-2002, 12:32 PM
There's always webtv.;)