PDA

View Full Version : The Chosen One?

Pendo
08-12-2002, 07:16 AM
I know it has been officialy announced that Anakin IS the chosen one, but would anybody prefere it to have been Luke? By it being Luke it shows an error by Qui-Gon, it also shows an error by the Jedi Council by allowing him to be trained. If he wasn't trained then the Jedi would probably still be around during the Empire.

I'd rather it be Luke because we grew up with Luke, he is the original hero and I think he deserves to be the chosen one.

PENDO!

LTBasker
08-12-2002, 08:05 AM
He was the sequel. ;) Anakin the "chosen one" turned to the dark side and brought balance to only the dark side of the force, I'm guessing the "chosen one" status was passed onto Luke from Obi-Wan's "that boy was our last hope" comment, and while Yoda did speak of Leia as being another hope, Luke was still the strongest in the force it seems. So perhaps the force got tired of Anakin and made Luke the chosen one for another try at bringing balance to the force.

Wookiee
08-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Seemed like there was not much "chosen one" talk in Episode II. I hope they make more sense of it in III. Like what exactly is expected of the Chosen One; what does the prophecy predict? What Prophecy is this anyway? are there Jedi Prophets? what other prophecies are there? And who chooses the Chosen one? Seriously, this "Chosen One" business is a whole new ball of wax.

sith_killer_99
08-12-2002, 04:13 PM
There are (or were) Jedi prophets (like Nostradamus). As well as artists, and more. The Jedi had their own culture!

This is all EU of course. But if you want any kind of answer...EU is where you have to go. And the prophecy of the "Choosen One" is supposed to go WAY back. Were talking thousands of years. I believe it goes back past the Sith Wars.

Anyway, the best way I have heard it described is this:

The Jedi were/are a force of good...or light side of the force.

With only one or two Sith lurking around. And maybe an occasional Dark Jedi now and then. The Force was tilted too far towards the light.

Anakin becomes Vader and helps hunt down and destroy the Jedi. When he is done there are Yoda, Obi-Wan, Vader and Sidious (The Emperor).

Thus balance is brought to the Force.

But that's just one theory. ;)

Pendo
08-12-2002, 04:35 PM
It is not quite know what is meant by "balance to the force" and not even starwars.com knows what it means because a while back they asked in a poll what the fans thought it meant. It either means there are the same amount of jedi and sith (yoda and Ben, Vader and Sidious) or it could mean the end of the Sith (Anakin killing Palpatine). Either way Anakin looks like the chosen one, but Luke could easily be made the chosen one by being the one to convert Anakin back and standing up to the sith.

PENDO!

scruffziller
08-13-2002, 05:42 AM
Luke was a just part of the puzzle. But Vader was the puzzle.
Some theorize that Vader ultimately killing Palpy was what brought balance to the force and that Luke was what helped Vader reach that point.

Wookiee
08-13-2002, 09:10 AM
I think that "Balance to the Force" means the end of the Sith order forever. That's what Vader achieved at the end of ROTJ. long long ago they thought the Sith were gone, but they were in hiding and they came back.

I don't think that "balance to the Force" simply means the same amount of Jedi's and Sith lords. The Force is a good and natural power. The Sith were corrupting it for evil. The Dark Side is not just the flip side to the Force, it's a twisted corruption of it.

Take Yoda's explanation of the Force to Luke on Dagobah. The Force flows through all things, rocks, trees, nature. It is tied to life itself. The Dark Side is not necessary to sustain the Force. the Force exists in spite of the Dark Side, not because of it.

- take the natural ecosystem on Earth, the trees, the animals, the air and water. The destruction of all this would be de-forestation, polution, and extinction of entire species. The "balance of nature" is not when there are an equal amount of trees in the forest as there are bulldozers knocking them over. Balance is achieved when the destructive forces stop.

hayden's_hunnie
08-14-2002, 12:30 PM
ok, luke was a major part, i think, because he was the one who made anakin 'bring balance' by killing the emperor, and by that mortally wounding himself and evebtually killing himself.
i think ( but this is only a thought) that in episode 3 palpatine kills padmé with the dark side lightening, and that when he starts to do it to luke, vaders thoughts return o him about palpy killing the love of his life, and can tstand his son to be killed in the same way, alos seeing luke become as powerfull as he was to be, with out his turn to dark, made his light feelings flow back to him, also i think he misses obi-wan, as he was like his father, because at the end of ROTJ, obi-wan and anakin are talking and laughing, like father and son!

Pendo
08-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by hayden's_hunnie
i think ( but this is only a thought) that in episode 3 palpatine kills padmé with the dark side lightening, and that when he starts to do it to luke, vaders thoughts return o him about palpy killing the love of his life, and can tstand his son to be killed in the same way

That would be cool!!! I deffo want Padmé to die in Ep3 and that would be a cool way to kill her off (I want Anakin to kill her though).

Originally posted by hayden's_hunnie
also i think he misses obi-wan, as he was like his father, because at the end of ROTJ, obi-wan and anakin are talking and laughing, like father and son!

I don't think he misses Obi-Wan otherwise he probably wouldn't have killed him like he did. I think something will hapen in Episode III that will make Anakin hate Obi-Wan. (He sleeps with Padmé ;))

PENDO!

MikeAndTheBots
08-14-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Wookiee
I think that "Balance to the Force" means the end of the Sith order forever. That's what Vader achieved at the end of ROTJ. long long ago they thought the Sith were gone, but they were in hiding and they came back.

I don't think that "balance to the Force" simply means the same amount of Jedi's and Sith lords. The Force is a good and natural power. The Sith were corrupting it for evil. The Dark Side is not just the flip side to the Force, it's a twisted corruption of it.

Take Yoda's explanation of the Force to Luke on Dagobah. The Force flows through all things, rocks, trees, nature. It is tied to life itself. The Dark Side is not necessary to sustain the Force. the Force exists in spite of the Dark Side, not because of it.

- take the natural ecosystem on Earth, the trees, the animals, the air and water. The destruction of all this would be de-forestation, polution, and extinction of entire species. The "balance of nature" is not when there are an equal amount of trees in the forest as there are bulldozers knocking them over. Balance is achieved when the destructive forces stop.

Exactly.

darthvyn
08-17-2002, 04:11 PM

i think it's time i brought out my good old "balance prophecy" theory, once again...

i've posted (ad nasuseum to some) about this before, but here we go again...

the force just exists.

PEOPLE use it, for good or bad. the force energy cannot be created or destroyed, just trasmuted. there is a finite amount of the force. if you have ten thousand jedi using the force for the light side, and you have two sith using the force for the dark side, which seems more concentrated? the two using it for a common purpose, as opposed to the ten thousand using it for about five thousand different things (two jedi at a time - master and apprentice using the force for the same thing, roughly...)

the dark side is overly powerful, and thus by bringing the amount of jedi down to two, the light side is as concentrated, and anakin brings balance to the force. this allows obi-wan and yoda the power to keep luke a secret, long enough for obi-wan to die, thus making the balance luke and yoda, and palpatine and vader. only when all the light of the force is concentrated in luke, is he able to withstand the emperor's taunts and turn vader. at this point, being of one purpose with the force, luke and vader both using the light side are able to destroy the emperor, thus eradicating the dark side.

the way i see it, there is no balance at the end... good has conquered evil, not balanced it out.

but then again, that's just my opinion... i may be wrong.

Darth Vellner
08-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
the best way I have heard it described is this:

The Jedi were/are a force of good...or light side of the force.

With only one or two Sith lurking around. And maybe an occasional Dark Jedi now and then. The Force was tilted too far towards the light.

Anakin becomes Vader and helps hunt down and destroy the Jedi. When he is done there are Yoda, Obi-Wan, Vader and Sidious (The Emperor).

Thus balance is brought to the Force.

But that's just one theory. ;)

The Chosen One (Anakin) Brings balance to the force ALOT!

There was Obi-Wan/Yoda =Light Side
Aand Vader/Emperor = Dark Side
As Vader he created Balance - 2 Jedi 2 Sith...as Anakin there would be no Balance..3 Jedi 1 Sith

He kills Obi-Wan = Balance is off
Yoda dies = more off Balance
So...
He kills the Emperor (almost Balanced)
Then he dies and brings Balance once again!

Not to mention he has two kids that become Jedi
Maybe its BOY/GIRL Balance he brings to the force also..

* you say what about luke...???? I think one force user IS Balanced.......then when leia learns the ways of the force it splits evenly between Brother/Sister ...It is Balanced!

hayden's_hunnie
08-19-2002, 04:25 PM
he sleeps with padmé what give you that impression!
darth vellener, cool therory i'd never thought of it like that!

mini-rock
09-04-2002, 04:19 PM
hh, I like your theory about Palpatine killing Padme with DSL. Maybe Anakin wasn't there when it happened, and someone witnessed (possibly Palpatine/Sideous) seeing a "dark figure" use lightning out of his hands to kill Padme. Since Anakin knows that Dooku is capable of using DSL he assumes it was him, so Anakin faces Dooku. Dooku tries to tell him it was someone else (possibly says Sideous) but Anakin will not listen, and kills Dooku. Only at the end of ROTJ does Anakin/Vader realize that it was Palpatine the whole time.

I know, paper thin right?

The Overlord Returns
09-09-2002, 12:10 PM
How many times are people going to wish to see padmes death in the prequels? It can't happen. It's impossible. She WILL DIE in the timeline between ep 3 and 4. Leia is going to be a newborn in ep 3......how on earth is she going to have ANY memory of a sad mother if she only knew her for 2 bloody weeks? It makes no sense!!!!

sigh...calm down.....

anyhow..... Anakin brings balance to the force by destroying the jedi order. The sith were extinct and in the shadows for a millenium. They had no power, thuis an imbalance of light side dominance. Anakin joining the darkside and destroying the light side dominance, effectively causes a shift that is ultimately balanced out in rotj. Luke is a "new hope" but he is not the chosen one. You see, chosen one needs not be a good thing, atleast to the jedi order. Clearly it won't be, which is why they attempted to alter fate by refusing to train the boy in the first place. Yoda seems to have realized now that the jedi were arrogant for even attempting it. Fate stepped in, killed qui gon, and made obi wan vow to fulfill his masters dying wish.

It would seem the jedi realized what "bringing balance" meant, and it scared them right out of their robes....

chewie
09-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Anakin was indeed the chosen one. He brought balance to the force by killing Palpatine and then dying himself. Leaving only one force user left alive (Luke). The prophecy was true.

Nobody would ever have known of the tragic circumstances that were required for the balance to take place.

Darkross
09-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by chewie
Anakin was indeed the chosen one. He brought balance to the force by killing Palpatine and then dying himself. Leaving only one force user left alive (Luke). The prophecy was true.

Nobody would ever have known of the tragic circumstances that were required for the balance to take place.

Yes...agreed...but how can the force be balanced with only one side remaining? Is the force only balanced when there are no Sith?

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Luke was a just part of the puzzle. But Vader was the puzzle.
Some theorize that Vader ultimately killing Palpy was what brought balance to the force and that Luke was what helped Vader reach that point.

This is exactly right and this is stated in the NEW Essential Guide to Characters

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 03:39 PM

This completely and throughly answers your question Darkross