PDA

View Full Version : Odd new stock trends...

DeadEye
08-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Hey,

I've gone figure hunting in all the Targets, Wal-Marts, TRUs, and K-Bs and K-Marts in the area, hoping to find the new Tatooine Attack Anakin figure. :D But, oddly enough, not only was there nothing new (and still no acklay!) but the shelves were, like, raided! The amount of figures was cut nearly in half, and in their place was Harry Potter stuff! Has anyone else noticed this?

thespar
08-12-2002, 01:20 PM
one of my local walmart just moved around in stock at cut the stock down by about half. i still have been able to find the anakin and new maul. and i must have one of the only acklay in my area.

robman71
08-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Most of the stores in my area have halved their Saga space on the shelves. This is not to say that they have been raided. (i.e. I went to a Target on Tuesday and there were at least 10 rows of figs, on Wednesday morning there were only 4 rows of figs, one row of action fleet and one row of accessory sets). I think that many stores are gearing up for the Christmas season. Also I noticed that nearly every store that I have been in lately has pulled out the old FOTR figures and accessories and are now charging full prices. (Just a couple of months ago I saw this stuff on clearance.)

LTBasker
08-12-2002, 01:32 PM
The Wal-Mart here moved the figures and they now share the same aisle piece on the end of the toy section with Harry Potter. :frus: Now since they moved them to a smaller spot, there are less pegs and they're fully stocked with no new figures. :(

steve3p0
08-12-2002, 01:33 PM
my walmarts have cut their number of star wars toys at least in half since 4/23. i think when these were first released, walmart had an entire aisle that was star wars toys only and even some on one of the end caps. now its down to about half an aisle.
fortunately, they tend to get new toys regularly and nearly all of the figures they do have are the newer ones ... # 28 - 44

my tru, kmart, target, kb still have the same tons of the first 14 figures they had in april.

DeadEye
08-12-2002, 02:09 PM
But why did they cut the stock in half? I was happy with full aisles...;):D
I still can't find an acklay or anything after Djas Puhr. :frus:

Vortex
08-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Sadly I noticed this trend earlier, a few weeks before MIB II hit the screens. I ran into a stock boy boxing up the delux to make room for other toys. There's even a WM that has 4 pegs for figs and the ships/beasts are all over the toy isle.

At the target h.q. they have a store and originally they dedicated 1/2 an isle and end cap to SW, now its just a little over an 1/8 or 1/4 of the isle and no end cap. I can still find the figs, but its usually a few weeks or a month after their release and when people report in.

What gets even more depressing is the possibility that the stores might not stock star wars after the holidays. About 6-8 months prior to EP II the only stores to have star wars were the TRU's around here, or if a vendor had some exclusive you'd see some other stuff on the shelf, but they faded from the pegs here in MN pretty quickly. I just hope that doesn't happen again, but the trend is starting already.

QLD
08-12-2002, 02:48 PM
It doesn't seem od to me at all. The hype from the movie is completely gone, and it would be suicide to keep an entire section devoted to SW toys. I am just glad they have them at all.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-12-2002, 03:04 PM
I've seen the same thing at my local Target. All the endcap figures were moved and the space was consolidated to make room for other stuff. Even the TCG was relocated to an endcap with the Harry Potter cards. All the stores are resetting for the fall season.

My WM is supposed to do the same thing and replace the SW with LOTR stuff. However, their stock is so large they would have to fill several boxes to accomplish this.

On the other hand, TRU seems to be selling zero SW figures lately. I used to walk in there and there would always be at least one person rifling through the pegs. Now it's more deserted than an Eddie Murphy movie on opening night. They better think about clearance really soon.

hango fett
08-12-2002, 03:07 PM
they have done this at the wal-mart south of us. that's the only place that has done that, though...but there is no harry potter stuff there....yet.....
ps. good to see you online again, deadeye!
YF

RooJay
08-12-2002, 04:25 PM
...and here I was, expecting to get some good stock market tips!

Vortex
08-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Is there such a thing these days?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2002, 05:00 PM
My Wal-Mart used to have a full aisle, and an endcap of SW. Then no endcap, but it returned with the flood of the Djas/Chewy waves. And just a few days ago, they cut back the SW stuff to 1/3 of the aisle, but kept the endcap. The other 2/3s are LOTR and HP stuff. If they had to replace SW with anything, I'm glad it was these two, b/c I haven't seen the HP stuff since the movie was in theaters, and they had some cool new stuff (Firenze, Norbert, FINALLY had a Voldemort and Griphook . . .).

RooJay
08-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
Is there such a thing these days?

That's why I was hoping!;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Yup, i agree. The Targets and such have cut their stock dramatically, but i must say, the shelves are pretty bare though. Here in cols my local wal-mart still has the aisle dedicated to SW stuff with a few random pegs in the action figure aisle. Haven't seen anything new though.

TylerD
08-12-2002, 08:34 PM
My Wal-mart has done the same thing. First they had one whole aisle and two end caps...Now they just have one endcap and two-thirds of an aisle.

"Your a wizard too, Tina!" - Harry Potter to Tina Fey on a "Weekend Update" segment on SNL

Old Fossil
08-12-2002, 09:37 PM
My Wal-Mart has shrunk their SW section by about 1/3 and added on Harry Potter. No LOTR toys, though; that would have made me feel better.

Looks like the Saga juggernaut (if you can call it that) has begun its long retreat... until Episode III.

AdmiralPiett
08-12-2002, 11:30 PM
This is really disappointing. And all this time we were thinking that POTJ would be clearanced hard to free up space for Saga. Now it looks like a drought. I hope they'll get enough of the new figures for everyone because Ephant Mon, Padme Coruscant, etc. look like they'll be really popular.
Piett

bigbarada
08-13-2002, 12:48 AM
My Wal-Mart has had a $3.50 clearance on Saga figures for weeks now and no one is biting. The pegs are just as clogged as they were after 4/23. They have an LOTR and HP setup further on down the aisle, but the Star Wars setup is as big and cumbersome as ever. I see kids going through the Spider-Man, HP and LOTR stuff; but rarely ever see a single kid (or collector for that matter) in the Star Wars aisle. I think this is due to a few factors:

1. Kids who were initially interested in the movie were tricked into buying crappy toys that broke all too easily (fragile lightsaber blades) and the odds on favorite character (Yoda) was nowhere to be seen for weeks. Kids aren't the most patient these days.

2. Hasbro tried to feed the collector frenzy with short-packed figures and only succeeded in alienating many loyal fans.

3. Hasbro knew what we, as collectors, wanted and ignored it completely. They tried to cater to the kids with gimmicky poorly made toys and, again, alienated much of their once loyal fanbase.

4. Too many different versions of the same character too soon (we will have 5 Jango Fetts by the end of the year and 4 Anakins)

Anyway, those are just my theories on where Hasbro went wrong. I still enjoy buying the occasional SW figure, but my passion for collecting has been effectively extinguished by Hasbro's recent tactics.

Vortex
08-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Anyway, those are just my theories on where Hasbro went wrong. I still enjoy buying the occasional SW figure, but my passion for collecting has been effectively extinguished by Hasbro's recent tactics.

I'll have to second that feeling. If I don't hunt it doesn't bother me, and I don't have a desire to go searching if I'm out shopping or going to dinner to stop off. I might also be at the point where it won't bother me if I miss a new figure or two.

There should be some new stuff out on the 15th in a few days, but even then that's not enough to gear me up and get me excited again.

I would have thought with this being the middle movie of the new 3 the hype, toys, ships would have been more and maybe better, but the toy line is whimpering and acting like its winding down.

TylerD
08-14-2002, 01:55 AM
I still haven't found the Teemto/Ki-Adi wave, and I wonder if my Wal-Mart will even stock the figures, since it still has many of the others. (?)

Lord Tenebrous
08-14-2002, 01:03 PM
The Walmart here has all the toy plans taped up, which I read while getting my car serviced. It sounds like the SW display will be expanded again to coincide with the home release of AOTC. I wouldn't expect new stuff before then, since I'm sure there are crates of overstock in the back (there's probably a good 300 unaccounted for here).

Now's the time for patient store monitoring, for at least eight weeks. Good luck, don't overpay. :)

aikman
08-14-2002, 01:58 PM
my walmart last week blew out all the new figs 2.00 each.
Of course I missed the sale.
Not an ep2 fig left...