PDA

View Full Version : the king is dead--long live the king

anarky
08-12-2002, 05:42 PM
in your travels on the internet--i feel it would be appropriate to take a moment and remember elvis presley

as of friday the king will have been gone from this sphere for a quarter of a century

without him--there would be no rock and roll

true--he didn't invent it--but he made it popular--and inspired so many others--among them the beatles, the stones, led zeppelin, and so many other pioneers

he was truly a hunka hunka burnin' love

and to quote lilo, "elvis presley was a model citizen"

rest in peace, elvis--we'll see you in heaven someday

Pendo
08-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Without the king of Rock 'n' Roll Yoda would not have those sideburns in TPM!! I salute you Mr. King! :D

R.I.P

PENDO!

2-1B
08-12-2002, 05:46 PM
5 years ago during an Aerosmith concert on the 20th anniversary weekend of the King's death, Joe Perry tore through a great rendition of Heartbreak Hotel. I found it very appropriate. :cry:

Rogue II
08-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
5 years ago during an Aerosmith concert on the 20th anniversary weekend of the King's death, Joe Perry tore through a great rendition of Heartbreak Hotel. I found it very appropriate. :cry:

I wonder if I can find an MP3 of that. It sounds cool.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Here, here!

Elvis was a really generous guy. My grandma was a maid at his Palm Springs many moons ago. If it wasn't for her employment there my dad and uncle would have been out on the street when they were little kids.

Jargo
08-12-2002, 07:49 PM
In the immortal words of Emo Philips;

"I would like to pay a tribute to Elvis - hi Elvis..."

Or to quote god knows who it was;

"Elvis, too fat to live - too young to die."

:D

QLD
08-12-2002, 08:40 PM
You're all fooled.....Elvis is alive baby!

Rogue II
08-12-2002, 08:43 PM
I just saw that Nicholas Cage just married Elvis' daughter.

scruffziller
08-12-2002, 10:40 PM
I especially like the stories of how crazy he was. He use to ring around his swimming pool and shoot out the lights that were around it with his gun. He also despised Robert Goulay and would shoot the TV every time he would appear on it.

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
You're all fooled.....Elvis is alive baby!

Yea he's in Siberia playing cards with Hitler and Jimmy Hoffa.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-12-2002, 11:20 PM
He just couldn't say no to those fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

And the 50something or other medications he was on at the time of his death.

The way he passed too, on the crapper, man what a way to go. I hope that happens to me when the time comes (that or I die making love to a super model).

I honestly saw an Elvis tribute about 2 hours ago. It's amazing how much of a legend that man has built some 25 years after his death. Little kids were even singing to the songs.

Remember Serendipty from Dogma talking to Azrael (I am paraphrasing) "Even Elvis enlisted during a time of war, and that is why he is the King!"

Long live the king.

Rogue II
08-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
Remember Serendipty from Dogma talking to Azrael (I am paraphrasing) "Even Elvis enlisted during a time of war, and that is why he is the King!"

Long live the king.

I just saw Dogma on TV this weekend.

As for Elvis' death, remember the line from MIB: "Elvis isn't dead, he just went home."

mabudonicus
08-13-2002, 12:48 PM
If anyone's interested, MANOWAR covered Elvis' "American Trilogy" on their new album, "Warriors of the World". It's a pretty good rendition, I'm sure Elvis has the album by now:)!!!!!

El Chuxter
08-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Rest in peace, you old Hound Dog you. :cry:

I give credit where credit is due. When Elvis was young, he was a bad m**********r. He was so bad, they let him do movies and he couldn't act. They said, ". . . Let him sing all his dialogue!" And it's true. Every Elvis film you see. "Hey Elvis, we gotta win this race." "We gotta win this race!" "Elvis, would you like some lemonade?" "Lemonaaaaade, that cool refreshing drink."
--Eddie Murphy

Okay, it ain't as funny if you read it. Excuse me. I think I'm gonna sing "Heartbreak Hotel" very loudly now. What's everyone else's favorite Elvis song?

Jek Porky 2002
08-13-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
He use to ring around his swimming pool and shoot out the lights that were around it with his gun.

Actually what he did was, sent out his men to buy every single light bulb in town, and filled his swimming pool with them and just sat there for 2 or 3 days and just shot them to the bottom of the pool.

Also has anyone heard the JXL remix of A Little Less Conversation? It got to number one over here, and it's a really good tune!

RIP Elvis!

El Chuxter
08-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Also has anyone heard the JXL remix of A Little Less Conversation? It got to number one over here, and it's a really good tune!

Yeah, I actually picked up the single. (I didn't wait for the upcoming compilation it's on because I'm 99% sure I've got everything else on it.) I don't normally care for remixes, but this one is pretty wild.

Other great Elvis songs:
Suspicious Minds
Burning Love
Jailhouse Rock
Suspicion
It's Now Or Never
If You Talk In Your Sleep
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Love Me Tender
Viva Las Vegas
and too many more to list

Jek Porky 2002
08-13-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Other great Elvis songs:
Suspicious Minds

That's one of my favorate songs of all time, but it wouldn't suit being a remix, god forbid!:(

Mandalorian Candidat
08-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
What's everyone else's favorite Elvis song?

I really enjoy his song called "Veronica." In fact the whole Spike album was pretty cool. My second favorite is "Watching the Detectives."

Hey, does anyone remember that time he was on SNL and got mad at his band in the middle of a song?

Rogue II
08-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Favorite Elvis Tune?
Definately "Hounddog"

sith_killer_99
08-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Elvis is DEAD.

Honestly...if he were alive do you think he would have let Lisa-Marie marry Michael Jackson?

Think about it man...he MUST be dead!:eek:

Rogue II
08-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Elvis is DEAD.

Honestly...if he were alive do you think he would have let Lisa-Marie marry Michael Jackson?

Think about it man...he MUST be dead!:eek:

Good point. I'm not a big Nick Cage fan either, but at least he's better than Michael Jackson.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-13-2002, 11:05 PM
I really like the song "In the Ghetto" (at least that is what I think the title is) about a boy growing up on the dangerous streets of Chicago.

Cool refrain too, "In the ghet-to!"

2-1B
08-14-2002, 03:04 AM
Suspicious Minds is my favorite Presley song, along with any other tunes during which he would break out the kung fu. :happy:

TylerD
08-14-2002, 04:10 AM
No wonder all that Elvis stuff has been showing up in stores. ;)

I know a guy named Elvis. The coolest name in the world for a senior in high school....LOL.

Rogue II
08-14-2002, 08:39 AM
Check this out:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/eo/20020813/en_celeb_eo/10385&e=3

Eternal Padawan
08-14-2002, 08:54 AM
Elvis Presley WAS a Model Citizen. :)

If Elvis were still alive, he'd have had serious issues with the Kurt Russell/Kevin Costner stinker 3000 Miles to Graceland. THAT proves he's dead, too. ;)

ROLLO!

mabudonicus
08-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Why didn't the auto censor delete those WORDS!!!! I gotta add that to my censoring.... 3000 miles to graceland...... what the heck was that movie about anyways??? I was really excited about the film, being a big costner Anti-Fan, and it wasn't anything like I thought it should have been.... what a stinker... it was bad enough to bring Elvis back to life, IMO...

QLD
08-14-2002, 09:28 AM
I am also a big fan of Suspicious Minds. I sing it once a week or so. :D

And 3000 Miles to Graceland was sooooo bad that I would have walked 3000 miles to get away from it.

Rogue II
08-14-2002, 09:32 AM
I watched 3000 Miles to Graceland while I was deployed to Kuwait last fall. We were watching it on DVD in our office. I actually started to do work rather than pay attention to the movie. And this is after working an 11 hour day!

scruffziller
08-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002

Actually what he did was, sent out his men to buy every single light bulb in town, and filled his swimming pool with them and just sat there for 2 or 3 days and just shot them to the bottom of the pool.

Yea that sounds even cooler. He also used to rent Amusement Parks for a whole day just so his daughter and him could be there without getting mobbed.

TylerD
08-14-2002, 01:52 PM
I wish I had enough money to make my fantasies real (that lighbulb thing is COOL). I have always wanted to fill a swimming pool with spaghetti (boiled, mind you) and chocolate pudding, and then swim around in it.....Ahhhh.....the things you can do with money...

Eternal Padawan
08-14-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
Why didn't the auto censor delete those WORDS!!!! I gotta add that to my censoring.... 3000 miles to graceland...... what the heck was that movie about anyways??? I was really excited about the film, being a big costner Anti-Fan, and it wasn't anything like I thought it should have been.... what a stinker... it was bad enough to bring Elvis back to life, IMO...

tee hee.

I'm seriously considering putting it in my 'so bad it's good' category of films. Whenever it's on TV, I think to myself 'what an atrocious film" and then I look at a clock and it's still on. What's that all about? If I could make an analogy, it's like that lighter trick that Lanny does, where he pulls his hand thru the lighter's flame and he keeps doing it a bit slower each time. Pretty soon he burns himself, and he knew it was coming but he did it anyway.

That's like me and 3000 Miles to Gaceland. It hurts, but I can't stop watching it. What's with those creepy Cg scorpions at the beginning of the film, anyway?

ROLLO!

2-1B
08-24-2002, 03:28 AM
Hey, have you heard that current song by a person calling himself "Elvis" ?
What the heck is that all about . . .
I hear it (way too) often on the local pop station's countdown (currently #2 :rolleyes: )

I just lowered myself to doing a search on MTv.com, but it only yielded results on the Elvises Presley and Costello.

:dead:

El Chuxter
08-29-2002, 03:33 PM
There's a remix of Elvis' "A Little Less Conversation" out as a single now. Other than that, the only other person I've even heard of is Elvis "I am not Jimmy's brother" Crespo. I know nothing about him, but the name kinda sticks out.