PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Smallville creek.

THE Slayer
10-18-2001, 04:36 PM
Did anyone watch the new superman series which, to me, seemed like an odd cross between the Lois/Clark show, and another teen WB drama, Dawson's Creek.

Thoughts? Anyone?

JediCole
10-18-2001, 04:57 PM
Having never seen Dawson's Creek, I cannot begin to speculate on similarities there, however I found Smallville to be one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen in a long time. The subplot about the "electric" kid seemed to have ended in an almost glossed-over way, but the characterization and storyline in general was refreshing and full of promise. A special nod to Lex Luthor in this incarnation of the Superman legend. It seems the creators are honoring all that has come before in one way or another while still making this new approach to Superman all their own. A nice mix.

JediTricks
10-19-2001, 12:14 AM
It was ok, I enjoyed it though I felt it was a little forced in some places. I was expecting a little more teeny-craze crapola, but they seemed more interested in the story which is cool. I hope they can make something special out of it instead of falling into a bunch of potholes that most shows do.

Hey, at least Clark won't be marrying Lois every other episode like in L&C (a show which I did enjoy, but by the end of season 2, they had run out of good ideas).

derek
10-20-2001, 02:43 AM
i tried to watch this show, but my satelite dosen't carry the WB, and i don't have an intenna up, so the snowy picture made it unbearable.

but i look at the 1978 superman movie as the guide by which all superman films or shows should follow. i didn't like lois and clark straying from this and now lex luther is in smallville? and what was with the big red "S" on superman's bare chest?

at least nicholas cage isn't playing the man of steel as was rumored a few years ago!:)

THE Slayer
10-21-2001, 12:18 AM
I liked the Lois/clark for a little while, then I didn't. The big red 'S' shown in all the promo adds and such was part of a school hazing trick, as stated above. But it was also a way for the producers/writers/whoever, to get superman to wear the signature 'S' from his costume. And that's probably as close as you'll ever come to seeing an S on his chest since he won't be wearing a costume. Ever.

I just thought the way the kids talked and such sounded a little "wb-ish" but that was the only connection I think the show had to the Dawson creekers.
And a show featuring a young cast of course. But not much to really compare the two.

JediTricks
10-22-2001, 01:16 AM
The "S" was specifically for "Smallville" in that case.

The Superman movies have less connection to the character of Superman these days because of the DC reset, from what I've heard. Basically, in the '80s, DC scaled back Supe's powers and changed his backstory (hence, no more spinning the world backwards to change the flow of time :p).

THE Slayer
10-22-2001, 03:17 PM
Spinning the earth backwards wouldn't reverse time?

Would it???

Obi-Don
10-23-2001, 09:01 AM
I missed Smallville:mad: I guess I will have to try to watch the next one.

I don't think that turning backwards will turn back time.I have a clock by my computer desk and every time I spin backwards in my chair,all that happens is I get sick. I know, I need a life,but hey sometimes we need to be different. :p

JediTricks
10-23-2001, 11:06 PM
Don't tell me, tell Mario Puzo who wrote the film.

Heh heh, this just popped into my head:
You will believe a dude can fly! Keanu Reeves is Superman!
"Whoa! I've got super powers!"