PDA

View Full Version : Hoth Accessory lameness....



Emperor Howdy
08-13-2002, 01:34 AM
This is probably old news.....so if someone has mentioned this already.....WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!! (In my best Steve Martin voice)......

I noticed the Rebel soldier has the same Schwarzenegger build as the old stuff. Upon closer examination, I noticed 1997 on his foot. Then I started looking close at his face.....now, I could be totally wrong......but is this nothing more than a Hoth Luke with a painted-on black beard!?! :confused:

rynobot
08-13-2002, 02:00 AM
3...2...1... (enter JarJarBinks)

bigbarada
08-13-2002, 02:02 AM
It's worse, it's the 1997 Hoth Luke's body with the 1997 Hoth Rebel Soldier's head. Or, in other words, a waste of money.

rynobot
08-13-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
It's worse, it's the 1997 Hoth Luke's body with the 1997 Hoth Rebel Soldier's head. Or, in other words, a waste of money.

oh my, it's a mutantl.

2-1B
08-13-2002, 02:22 AM
That little tank thingie looks pretty lame too . . .

LTBasker
08-13-2002, 04:14 AM
I think the Hoth Accessory set isn't all that bad, sure the tank is lame, but it could make an ok background filler with the vintage MLC-3. The Hoth soldier I'm dissapointed in though, instead of this we should've just gotten the generic Hoth Trooper from the Deluxe set.

Rogue II
08-13-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by rynobot


oh my, it's a mutantl.

No, if it was a mutant, it would have Patrick Duffy for a leg.

Actually, I don't mind the little head swap they pulled for this figure. What bothers me about it is somewhat hard to explain. I don't know if it is the paint or if it is the plastic they used, but it seems cheap. It feels more like a bootleg figure. And, yes, I have some Korean bootleg POTF2/SOTE figures to compare it to.

Jargo
08-13-2002, 09:02 AM
It plain out sucks! I agree that it should have been the figure from the Hoth rebel deluxe set. If I wanted a luke Jedi mutant I'd buy a Luke Jedi and mutate him myself. Can't see the point of the Hoth set at all. The only decent set so far seems to be the most popular Endor victory set. closely followed by the death star set.

But I don't think that Hasbro should ditch the figure with accessories idea. It's a cool way to get a figure and stuff to go with them. They just need to rethink which figures they put out.

Frankly, I'm hoping for a naboo royal guard or Naboo royal security accessory pack at some point but that's just me.

EDIT: I forgot to say that it's only the figure from the Hoth set I don't like. I do like the accessories. I currently have this set and the other three on order, simply to get the accessories. but the figures in the other three sets are far superior to this hopeless Hoth rebel mutant Luke.

Rogue II
08-13-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
It plain out sucks! I agree that it should have been the figure from the Hoth rebel deluxe set. If I wanted a luke Jedi mutant I'd buy a Luke Jedi and mutate him myself. Can't see the point of the Hoth set at all. The only decent set so far seems to be the most popular Endor victory set. closely followed by the death star set.

But I don't think that Hasbro should ditch the figure with accessories idea. It's a cool way to get a figure and stuff to go with them. They just need to rethink which figures they put out.

Frankly, I'm hoping for a naboo royal guard or Naboo royal security accessory pack at some point but that's just me.

I am a bit dissappointed with the Hoth set. I like the oxygen masks, although I wish there were 3. My 1 year old daughter finds the mini tank amusing. But what does she know?

I'm looking forward to picking up the Endor set. I plan on getting the Death Star set, but I'm not happy with the 2 droids included in the pack.

I like the accessory set idea as well. I'd like to see a one for the Jawas and Ewoks.

pthfnder89
08-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I'm looking forward to picking up the Endor set. I plan on getting the Death Star set, but I'm not happy with the 2 droids included in the pack.

I like the accessory set idea as well. I'd like to see a one for the Jawas and Ewoks.
I picked up the Death Star Set this weekend and, yaeh, the droids are pretty lame. The mouse droid is just too big, although at least it's an actual finished toy, unlike the previous horrible mouse droid that they couldn't even bother to put a bottom on:rolleyes: I kind of like the new one.:)

But the Interrigator Droid isn't nearly as good as the one that came with Commtech Darth Vader. I'm not sure why they created a brand new, but inferior mold for the accessory pack:confused:

But overall I like the set. The Hoth Set I haven't bought yet, because I just really don't like the figure that comes with it, and I'm not too sure I want the acecssories. I would really like to have those oxygen masks and the scanner, but I'm lukewarm about the tank. I think it's pretty neat looking but I don't really want to spend the $10 just for that.

I think it would be really cool if they added an TPM Pack with a mishmash of the last four accessory sets in the Ep1 line. Those were so rare that virtually no one has them and the accessories were very cool.:)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the review on the Hoth set. I was leaning toward not getting it and just going for the ANH and ROTJ ones since I'd like another DS Trooper and the Imp. helmet xylophone. The $9.99 price tags are a little steep so I'll wait until they go on clearance. You can always count on Target for clearancing their exclusives sooner or later.

Jayspawn
08-13-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, I actually like the Hoth accessory set. I think the figure could/should have been better but, he doesn't look at all bad in my diorama. The tank is a little weird though. My favorite part is the cargo box, that thing is great! Need more of those.

Emperor Howdy
08-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by rynobot
3...2...1... (enter JarJarBinks)


LOL....see, JarJar? That's what I'm talking about. Seriously, I love when you give your input.....it's just funny when others joke about it!

scruffziller
08-22-2002, 10:02 AM
No I don't think it is that bad, the old Luke body was worse.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
3...2...1... (enter JarJarBinks)


Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
LOL....see, JarJar? That's what I'm talking about. Seriously, I love when you give your input.....it's just funny when others joke about it!

I think you've hurt his feelings. This is the only thread he hasn't posted in on the whole site. ;)

For the price tag, it would have been nice to get a different Hoth-related figure. Most of us who've been collecting for a while have the Hoth Rebel Soldier. A Hoth officer or other figure would have been more novel.

Rogue II
08-22-2002, 11:41 AM
Well when you look at it, none of the figures in the accessory sets are new. Actually, the Hoth set is the closest they get to a new figure. Isn't it technically an officer since it is Luke's body with a different head?:rolleyes:

Since they already resculpted the Fleet Trooper and the Endor Trooper, hopefully the Hoth Trooper is next.

pthfnder89
08-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Well when you look at it, none of the figures in the accessory sets are new. Actually, the Hoth set is the closest they get to a new figure.

Well, I'd say it competes with the Battle Droid for being a "new" figure. The Battle Droid has a really nice new paint job, even if it is a reused sculpt. And technically, the jetpack is part of the figure, and that's brand new. :)

On a side note; I've been noticing that all my local Targets are completely out of all Accessory Packs, after having them stocked pretty consistenly for several weeks. Does this mean they've run through the whole production?

Rogue II
08-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Good point....new head, new paint job....sounds familliar. Is it Endor Soldier and Mace w/battle droid?

I was wondering the same thing about the stocking. I was hoping to pick up some extra sets when Target has one of their famous clearance markdowns.