PDA

View Full Version : What will be remembered & admired more: The LOTR or The Prequels?

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Simple question guys: will folk think the prequels were better in years to come than Jackson's LOTR trilogy?

I have read the trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it, which does not categorise me, before anyone asks, as a Tolkien fanatic!:)

I happen to think that the LOTR trilogy will perform better than the SW prequels:( , and will be remembered as being a more superior collection of work.:( I am a little dismayed that the magic and brilliance, for want of better words, of the original trilogy was deficient this time round.

What are your thoughts?:)

Pendo
08-13-2002, 07:45 AM
I too think LOTR will be remembered more than the prequels, and also probably the OT. :( I think Star Wars is a million times better than LOTR but Star Wars is starting to get old and the younger generation will be turning to newer films such as LOTR. It's hard to believe it but there will be a time in the distant future where Star Wars is completley forgotten. We all will the dead and our children's children will not be bothered with a saga of movie which happened about 25 years ago, but LOTR might still be popular because it's newer.

PENDO!

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 07:52 AM
The success of LOTR:TFOTR is all the more sweet when you begin to compare the resources (FX) each director has at his disposal. WETA is way smaller than ILM, based in a remote corner of NZ and most probably has a smaller budget than ILM. Yet the effects used on LOTR were unbelievably better than ILM's efforts.

sith_killer_99
08-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Actually, I think the Lord of The Rings trillogy had a pretty healthy budget.

In any case, I do believe that the LOTR movies will be better remembered and loved than the Prequels.

Consider this:

LOTR has been a much loved series for over 50 years. My Grandparents were younger than ME when it came out!

LOTR gained even MORE popularity with my generation when the cartoons were released.

NOONE EVER believed it could be made into a live action trillogy, making the magic THAT much more impressive.

As for the OT, I still do not think LOTR could beat the Original Trillogy. Star Wars sparked a popularity in a unique genre'! It was, is and always will be considered the begining of it all. Everything that Sci-Fi blockbusters are today is owed to Star Wars. IMHO

The popularity of Star Wars paved the way for the likes of Star Trek (and soooo many others) to break through to the big screen.

;)

Jek Porky 2002
08-13-2002, 04:06 PM
I think you need to rephraise the question, because in 2005 I'm going to stop calling it the Prequal Trilogy and the Origional Trilogy and call it the Saga, so will the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy be remembered more than The Star Wars Saga, NO! Star Wars was the first, LOTR doesn't have all of the hype and eagerness to see the next film as Star Wars always has, also LOTR doesn't have the merchandise that Star Wars has, not many people collect the figures so when the films have gone away, they will most likely stop, Star Wars figures can be past on keeping the popularity alive, It'll be a long time yet before Star Wars is forgotten!

So raise your glasses and join me in looking forward to another 25 YEARS AND MORE, of Star Wars collecting! And who knows if Lucas gets bored after 2005, 3 MORE FILMS!

Beast
08-13-2002, 04:20 PM
They really are different beasts. Just like JK2002 said, Star Wars has a whole collecting hobby centered around the films that will likely never truely die. New collectors are joining the hobby and discovering the movies every year. After the LOTR's movies fade away, while they will still be popular, they won't be as popular as Star Wars as a whole.

Just look at the toylines. The LOTR's toy line is pretty much a failure, the toys didn't sell well, alot of figures were postponed or cancelled. Star Wars has endured as a Toy Line for 16 years so far, counting Vintage and Modern. On the other hand, after the LOTR's movies pass, the toy line just won't have the legs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 04:51 PM
But the film's shouldn't need a toyline to keep the spirit alive: they should endure regardless of the scale of merchandise associated with it. It is great that the toys are attracting kids of all ages toward the films, but most will see the films anyway because of the hype the movie receives and not necessarily because of the quality of toys hitting (or not) the shelves.

The LOTR is a great trilogy and the FOTR a good opening movie, and yes the figures/ other merchandise never really skyrocketed like SW, but it is, I believe, the film, like the book, that will stand the test of time, just like the original SW movies have attracted a wider audience and a revered status.

It is testament to the strength of FOTR, despite the lack of merchandise in comparision to SW, that it has surpased (so far) the prequels, in my opinion.

Beast
08-13-2002, 04:58 PM
No, the film shouldn't need a toyline to keep the spirit alive, or to succeed. But in today's world, anything that gets the movie out there and into as many mediums as possible helps a film. LOTR's may be techincally amazing, but I would still say in the long run that Star Wars will remain more popular.

Once LOTR's fades from the cinema after Return of the King, and then the DVD release, there is nothing to keep it out there. Not to mention that the Sword and Sorcery/Fantasy genre is not as popular as Sci-Fi.

So yes, LOTR's will have a strong showing at the start. But as the years pass, Star Wars will shift back into the main focus. Especially in 2006 with the Archival Edition DVD's of the entire Saga. But again, they are different beasts.

The LOTR's novels have existed for many years, but not everyone has read them. I haven't, most of the people that I know haven't. The real question, is whether the movies will be remembered and admired more then the books. Sadly I think that they will, because nobody really reads as much as they used to anymore. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

boss nass
08-13-2002, 06:08 PM
Well i watched LOTR for the first time a couple of days ago and i think this movie SUCKED!!A waste of my $20.It's a fairy tale and i mean FAIRY i had to watch it twice because the first time i fell asleep and i really wasn't even tired.This movie does not even compare to ANY SW movies even Phanthom Menace!Star wars has a family tree in the movie and the fans are now passing it on to there little ones.It has it all,where LOTR fell way below any of the hype i've heard and seen for this movie.I really don't care to see any sequels to this movie(elves,dwalfs,and homelly little hobits)LOL LOL LOL.Do not believe the hype man!So my conclusion is that LOTR sucks and will not last,as will Harry Potter.The only movies i've seen that were any good since Heat,Thin Red LIne and Carlito's way,Were ATOC and Resident Evil.I bet Spinderman sucked too but i'll wait untill i acctually see it.Just goes to show you Hollywood is trying too hard and the hype is ridiculous.But thats just MY opinion

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by boss nass
Well i watched LOTR for the first time a couple of days ago and i think this movie SUCKED!!A waste of my $20.It's a fairy tale and i mean FAIRY i had to watch it twice because the first time i fell asleep and i really wasn't even tired. I value your opinion, but I have to ask this: why did you buy the video or DVD, why not rent it? :rolleyes: If it was so 'fairy' as you put, why were parents advised that the film contains strong battle violence?

:rolleyes: :(

Jek Porky 2002
08-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Finally, someone else who thought it was boring, it was the only movie that I've seen that I just couldn't imagine myself leaving the cinema, it was that long!

Beast
08-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Well, the first one is the most un-exciting, because it's setting up situations and storylines as well as charecters. Just be glad they didn't film exact versions of the novels, JP20002. That would have ran probably around 5 hours a film. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
08-13-2002, 07:22 PM
In my own opinion I think Star Wars as a whole (Prequels and the O.T.) will be remembered and admired more than the LOTR Trilogy. S.W. has stood the test of time for all films in the modern era, Gone With The Wind in my opinion is right up there with S.W., both have captured the attention of the public for a great many years. While the LOTR Trilogy I have no doubt will be good on film with Peter Jackson directing it, I don't believe that it will stand up to the popularity of S.W. as a whole. S.W. is simply the best Sc-Fi series that has ever graced the screen, it may have not had the best acting, but the scenes and special effects are the standards by which every other moviemaker tries to achieve. S.W. has captured the hearts of many with movies, toys, discussions, EU novels and the list goes on. I have seen LOTR and while it was a good movie, notice how I didn't say great, it failed to capture my attention like S.W. did many times in the past and probably in the future. LOTR and S.W. I believe are in two different Categories, while one is good, the other is simply great. I doubt you will ever go to a movie in your lifetime and find people dressed up, as characters from the movie, like you do when you go to a S.W. film. And that my friends are what separate the great from the good.:D

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 07:39 PM
Both films are great for different reasons. The thread examines whether Jackson's (no involvement from the Tolkien estate) LOTR as a whole is superior to the prequels ONLY. I do not think it comes close to episodes 4-6, but it pummels the prequels, and that view is coming from someone who stood in line at the cinema waiting to see ESB, and who has been collecting figures since that time. :)

Granted, the film was long, but ask yourself this: would you love to see a three-hour long Episode 3 ? Answer: heck yeah!!! Of course you would.

Beast
08-13-2002, 07:44 PM
You can't choose just the prequels. Since it's an entire saga of films. If you want to do that, then you can only compare the first film to E1 and E2. You can't count TTT or RotK at all. Since that is only fair because you are excluding the rest of the films in the Star Wars Saga. Remember that just like Tolkein himself considered the three books all one story, Lucas considers each film a part of the whole story. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
08-13-2002, 07:47 PM
No need to say anything, because JarJaBinks said what I was thinking anyways.:D Couldn't have said it any better.:D

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
You can't choose just the prequels. Since it's an entire saga of films. If you want to do that, then you can only compare the first film to E1 and E2. You can't count TTT or RotK at all. Since that is only fair because you are excluding the rest of the films in the Star Wars Saga. Remember that just like Tolkein himself considered the three books all one story, Lucas considers each film a part of the whole story. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks The thread, if you read it, seeks to compare how each genre has compared in light of the new era of movie making. It aims to answer the most basic of questions: will people remember the LOTR or the SW prequels, or put it your specific terms: FOTR or TPM/AOTC?

The prequels were undertaken for a new generation, and will be considered in that light, but I want to gauge how they alone stand up to competition, in this case LOTR, in the new generation of film-making and advanced FX.

I know what the answer will be if I asked for a comparative perspective with the originals - it would be a waste of my time! :)

To be blunt, we cannot know what the true outcome will be, in terms of overall picture, until 2005, but I want to acquire an idea as to what you guys think about the NEW stuff emerging out of Marin County compared with LOTR.

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Tolkien's entire 'saga' will never been seen, only a portion of the text is being interpreted for adaptation. There is a great deal more backstory to the events we'll eventually get to see, not to mention a 'prequel' in itself: The Hobbit. On the other hand, what you see with SW is Lucas' vision alone - the complete picture as he intended as a huge 12-hour spectacular.

Beast
08-13-2002, 08:08 PM
That's the point though Jono. It's an unfair comparison, to only compare part of the whole story. That would be like judging a movie or book, and only reading the first third (or fourth) of the story. In the end, I think that the Saga will endure longer then LOTR's. Remember that EU will also keep it in the public mind. Where as there will likely never be new stories from Middle Earth. :)

But they are a totally separate animal. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both will be remebered and adored, but after the LOTR movies fade from the public eye. Star Wars will endure longer in the public consciousness. Really, the sad thing is that the movies are going to be remembered and admired more then Tolkien's original novels. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 08:25 PM
You answered the question in the first paragraph. It is something that cannot be started until a later date: comparing both genres in their entirety. There is little need to step back from the bigger picture and muse over what was created and proclaim that this has better qualities than that one. There is nothing unfair, for example, in comparing TPM with AOTC: one was dire and the second one was better; you don't need to assess the saga as a whole to arrive at that conclusion.

Film versions will always pervade longer in the minds of people than the original literary texts.

My attempt, which has obviously died a natural death it would seem, was to assess whether Lucas's return to create a new generation of movies has the same impact as the originals when faced with strong and compelling competition.

I think he has not formulated the prequels like he, and others did, with the OT.

As regards the lingering presence of SW in the human psyche, the original trilogy will be the only endearing aspect, the prequels will not.

It is also obvious to state that if you continue to manufacture SW merchandise for years to come, then of course it will remind people.

If SW (OT) merchandise had not exploded into the marketplace as it did it would not be as popular as it is today. In a way, the continued production of products ensures that SW does survive for the years ahead beyond 2005. It will, I regret to say, fade into the shadows should production cease, and will SW be remembered still? I would strongly hope so :-)

Beast
08-13-2002, 08:58 PM
The prequels will have a lingering presence on the human psyche. The problem is that all of us grew up from the kids we were when we first saw the originals. The prequels will be this generations Star Wars, and in the future they may consider them better films then the OT. You can't make blanket statements like the prequels will not have the same impact as the OT. That is from your point of view. Not the point of view of the new generations of Star Wars fans that are to come. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Clint
08-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Some people forget that their opinion of the prequels is just that.

JonoFett
08-14-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The prequels will have a lingering presence on the human psyche. The problem is that all of us grew up from the kids we were when we first saw the originals. The prequels will be this generations Star Wars, and in the future they may consider them better films then the OT. You can't make blanket statements like the prequels will not have the same impact as the OT. That is from your point of view. Not the point of view of the new generations of Star Wars fans that are to come. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks You're absolutely right, it is my point of view. How many people (young included) have expressed their displeasure at the prequels so far? And how many have said that, on seeing the originals, they do not compare because for them the originals are much better? Gain a consensus, and you'll see that MY POINT OF VIEW is something that is shared by others.

If concern is being expressed NOW about them, do you really believe that 10 years down the road the mindset of the 'new generation' of SW fans will warm to the prequels as I did to the OT? No way, and that's my opinion also.;) :rolleyes:

The last sentence you wrote is a pretty bold one to make. You may find that the next generation of SW fans, should there be one, may not share you utopian view of the prequels.

What do fans of all ages want more than anything? The original trilogy on VHS/DVD. More so than TPM & AOTC? Well, perhaps, yes...and that is a blanket statement I'm willing to stand by.:D ;)

JonoFett
08-14-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Some people forget that their opinion of the prequels is just that. I take exception to that statement, especially since I assumed forum members were of the ability to judge that comments were just opinions, and nothing more. I'm not in the business of writing policy statements, and nor should the comments I make be construed as being dictatorial. I AM EXPRESSING MY OWN POINT OF VIEW, SOMETHING YOU FIND DIFFICULT TO PERCEIVE.

You'll have us putting our names to a clause, requesting that when we post comments we stipulate that the comments are of a personal opinion.

Do you require me to state in each future reply I make that the statement I will give will be my own personal view?:rolleyes: :frus:

JonoFett
08-14-2002, 02:33 AM
I would be grateful if you'd cancel my membership from these boards immediately.

DarthBrandon
08-14-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by JonoFett
I would be grateful if you'd cancel my membership from these boards immediately.

Not everyone will agree with one anotherís opinions JonoFett, but you don't have to leave over it.:) Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and they cannot force it upon each other. They can only discuss it and sometimes they may never agree upon anything. But don't leave over it.:)

JonoFett
08-14-2002, 02:57 AM
I accept that, and welcome opposing views of others, because healthy debate is the life blood of democracy, but what I take exception to is being told that my opinion is in some way a statement of fact which all other members must subscribe to. It is sad that others seem to think that my comments are something more than what they are intended to be, just an opinion.
This is censorship, and I will not be criticised by so-called self-appointed 'moderators' who have nothing better to do than to dictate arcane policy to members fully conversant with the rules.

If the moderators on these boards cannot distinguish between an idle point of view expressed in the course of a debate and a statement which should be adhered to, then I think I'll move on and leave you guys to it. I have always made a strong point about accepting the converse argument and voicing MY OPINION, but it would appear that others do not regard my opinions as being simply that.

Jedi Clint
08-14-2002, 03:09 AM
I take exception to that statement, especially since I assumed forum members were of the ability to judge that comments were just opinions, and nothing more. I'm not in the business of writing policy statements, and nor should the comments I make be construed as being dictatorial. I AM EXPRESSING MY OWN POINT OF VIEW, SOMETHING YOU FIND DIFFICULT TO PERCEIVE.

You'll have us putting our names to a clause, requesting that when we post comments we stipulate that the comments are of a personal opinion.

Do you require me to state in each future reply I make that the statement I will give will be my own personal view?:rolleyes: :frus:

I have no difficulty perceiving your point of view as such. You will not be required to stipulate an opinion as such. It is obvious that you are expressing an opinion as statements such as these are not facts:

There is nothing unfair, for example, in comparing TPM with AOTC: one was dire and the second one was better; you don't need to assess the saga as a whole to arrive at that conclusion.

As regards the lingering presence of SW in the human psyche, the original trilogy will be the only endearing aspect, the prequels will not.

Those statements do not, however, indicate that you recognize them as such.

If you realize the difference between facts and opinions, then there really is no reason to take exception to my comment. It appears you wish to take a poll of forum members in order to discern how popular or unpopular the SW prequels are compared to the LOTR films. Don't let me imped your goal with any unfounded concerns about your self-awareness. In fact, you might be able to ascertain my opinion on the issue by analyzing my original contribution........if I have one ;)

DarthBrandon
08-14-2002, 03:10 AM
I accept that, and welcome opposing views of others, because healthy debate is the life blood of democracy, but what I take exception to is being told that my opinion is in some way a statement of fact which all other members must subscribe to. It is sad that others seem to think that my comments are something more than what they are intended to be, just an opinion.
This is censorship, and I will not be criticised by so-called self-appointed 'moderators' who have nothing better to do than to dictate arcane policy to members fully conversant with the rules.

If the moderators on these boards cannot distinguish between an idle point of view expressed in the course of a debate and a statement which should be adhered to, then I think I'll move on and leave you guys to it. I have always made a strong point about accepting the converse argument and voicing MY OPINION, but it would appear that others do not regard my opinions as being simply that.

I don't think that the Mod's are taking any sides here JonoFett, I think it was just a post like anyone of us could have posted. Jedi Clint takes part in discussions as well, just because he is a moderator does not mean he doesn't post from time to time and it also was not directed at anybody, from what I can see. He could have been talking about the guy before or after you. Anyways I still think it is unwise to leave over this, I would have left a long time ago if that was the case.
:D

JonoFett
08-14-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint

I have no difficulty perceiving your point of view as such. You will not be required to stipulate an opinion as such. It is obvious that you are expressing an opinion as statements such as these are not facts:

Those statements do not, however, indicate that you recognize them as such.

If you realize the difference between facts and opinions, then there really is no reason to take exception to my comment. It appears you wish to take a poll of forum members in order to discern how popular or unpopular the SW prequels are compared to the LOTR films. Don't let me imped your goal with any unfounded concerns about your self-awareness. In fact, you might be able to ascertain my opinion on the issue by analyzing my original contribution........if I have one ;) They are, and will always remain, my own personal opinion which is not open to question. Others should assume that if a statement of opinion is expressed, it is done so with the knowledge that it is a view held, until the contrary, by a sole forum member. Being told that you're overstepping your remit by supposedly enforcing a view of opinion on others in the guise of a statement of dubious fact is totally ridiculous.

Is this the response I, and others, are likely to get if a statement of opinion, and not fact, is posted? Is the current advice to steer clear of making statements of the type: Jar Jar was bad for the film? I accept that moderators partcipate in discussions, but have I stumbled a new crop of forum legislation I'm unaware of which precludes the use of statements?

I am fully able to distinguish between fact and opinion, for it is opinion which builds upon knowledge already acquired i.e. fact. You needn't have posted the comment you made, as I fully aware of the boundaries a member must fall within to remain true to the regulations laid down by the board.

Jedi Clint
08-14-2002, 03:23 AM

I am not "so-called" or "self appointed". You weren't being moderated, and I wasn't dictating secret policy to you. You also weren't being censored. I didn't tell you that you "in some way" made "a statement of fact which all other members must subscribe to". In fact, my comment wasn't even directed at you personally. In my experience, my original statement is accurate. Often, I find people forget that their opinions are exactly that. Sorry my point of view upset you.

Jedi Clint
08-14-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by brandon

I don't think that the Mod's are taking any sides here JonoFett, I think it was just a post like anyone of us could have posted. Jedi Clint takes part in discussions as well, just because he is a moderator does not mean he doesn't post from time to time and it also was not directed at anybody, from what I can see. He could have been talking about the guy before or after you. Anyways I still think it is unwise to leave over this, I would have left a long time ago if that was the case.
:D

Thanks Brandon. You are correct.

Jedi Clint
08-14-2002, 03:30 AM
They are, and will always remain, my own personal opinion which is no open to question. Others should assume that if a statement of opinion is expressed, it is done so with the knowledge that it is a view held, until the contrary, by a sole forum member. Being told that you're overstepping your remit by supposedly enforcing a view of opinion on others in the guise of a statement of dubious fact is totally ridiculous.

Is this the response I, and others, are likely to get if a statement of opinion, and not fact, is posted? Is the current advice to steer clear of making statements of the type: Jar Jar was bad for the film? I accept that moderators partcipate in discussions, but have I stumbled a new crop of forum legislation I'm unaware of which precludes the use of statements? :frus: :rolleyes:

You seem intent upon being a victim of a crime that did not transpire. You were never informed that you were "overstepping your remit by supposedly enforcing a view of opinion on others in the guise of a statement of dubious fact" no matter how ridiculous that may be. People post opinons all the time Jono.....enjoy :)

JonoFett
08-14-2002, 03:37 AM
That's right my opinion, and only an opinion! :)

Jedi Clint
08-14-2002, 03:44 AM
Just to comment upon your addition.

I am fully able to distinguish between fact and opinion, for it is opinion which builds upon knowledge already acquired i.e. fact. You needn't have posted the comment you made, as I fully aware of the boundaries a member must fall within to remain true to the regulations laid down by the board.

If you feel you can make clear distinctions between facts and opinions, then (once again) there is no reason to take exception to my comment. I might not have needed to post the comment I made, but I did as I am equally entitled to share my point of view. I didn't do it to make you aware of the regulations laid down by the board. Get your facts straight okay ;)

Beast
08-14-2002, 09:14 AM
You're absolutely right, it is my point of view. How many people (young included) have expressed their displeasure at the prequels so far? And how many have said that, on seeing the originals, they do not compare because for them the originals are much better? Gain a consensus, and you'll see that MY POINT OF VIEW is something that is shared by others.

If concern is being expressed NOW about them, do you really believe that 10 years down the road the mindset of the 'new generation' of SW fans will warm to the prequels as I did to the OT? No way, and that's my opinion also.;) :rolleyes:

The last sentence you wrote is a pretty bold one to make. You may find that the next generation of SW fans, should there be one, may not share you utopian view of the prequels.

What do fans of all ages want more than anything? The original trilogy on VHS/DVD. More so than TPM & AOTC? Well, perhaps, yes...and that is a blanket statement I'm willing to stand by.:D ;)
Back to the topic at hand. Yes, some people have expressed their displeasure in the prequels. But an equal number have expressed their love of the prequels. Part of that is perception. For many Star Wars entered their lives when they were very young, and became a major part of their lives. But like anything, they grew up. Many moved on for a while, and of course saw many other films and TV shows since those days. They themselves changed mentally from those carefree days of youth. All the experiences of their lives, between the OT and the Prequels shaped them into who they are now.

So many of them no longer have that innocent child-like ability to look beyond what they perceieve to be plot holes, bad acting, and cheesy special effects. Frankly, I think that if they were to watch the OT movies with these new mindsets that they have gained in the years, they would feel the same for the OT that you currently see them expressing for the PT. But there is no way for those people to do that, they have placed the OT on a pedistal, and some of them actually fear that the PT could knock the OT from it's pedestal and take it's place.

Ask many of the "new generation" of Star Wars fans what they think of charecters such as Jar Jar Binks, and you will get a very different answer then if you ask a someone over 25. Many kids love Jar Jar. Many kids prefer the prequels. Just because not all of them do, doesn't mean that a majority of them don't. They don't need to warm to the prequels. They were warm from the beginning.

They were awed by these movies that Uncle George made for them. A new series of Star Wars films with just as much magic and humanity as the OT. There already is a next generation of Star Wars fans. And alot of them love the Star Wars prequels. That can't be denied, anymore then the fact that the generation that grew up with the PT love the PT.

As to the comment, that what do fans ask for on DVD/VHS? That's only because it's not avaliable. I'm sure you recall back when the VHS of E1 came out, how many people complained that they wanted the DVD now. How many people were glad when Lucas said that there would be a side by side release of the DVD and VHS of EII. The only reason the OT is asked for so much, is because it's not available. If the PT wasn't available, you would be having just as many requests. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
09-08-2002, 06:22 PM
IMO, I think both will be remembered about the same. So far both have been very enjoyable for me, and I'm sure will be for the next 10 years.

bigbarada
10-06-2002, 03:57 AM
First off, any kind of prediction over which one will be remembered more is impossible to tell.

I loved LOTR, I believe it to be one of the greatest motion pictures of all time, and that's not an exaggeration. I also love the prequels and the OT (I think the prequels have a more interesting and in depth storyline though). I would like both franchises to see continued success in the next twenty years. However, I think this thread leaves out two major franchises that will have an impact on future generations:

The Matrix - while I really didn't care for the film, it is still considered the "cool" movie among many teenagers, and has spawned a lot of cheesy copycat films. I am interested to see what is planned for the next two installments.

Harry Potter - a force in and of himself, I think anybody would be remiss to disregard the impact the movie and novels are having on kids today. If anything, this franchise has the potential to be this generation's "Star Wars." Just my opinion of course. The Sorceror's Stone really was an amazing film, though.

Wolfwood319
10-06-2002, 04:24 AM
BB hit it on the mark with the "Harry Potter" comment. Every generation has its mark. Lots of times it crosses the generational gap, but for the most part only the original generation holds it in such high regards.

I think to most people though (those who don't revolve their life around movies/sci-fi/fantasy lore/etc.) will hold both the SW saga and LOTR in the same light in terms of nonchalantness.

Star Wars has found is fan base groove. Its become a "Trekkie" thing, so to speak. Only Star Wars "Fans" hold it in such high regard, I believe. Most people I know, treat it as any other popular film franchise. Its extracurricular activities (marketing), have no real relevance in the equation.

I was a fan of LOTR long before I liked SW, and I personally think that FOTR was a far superior film to all but ANH and ESB. However, I like the imagery and the overall vibe of the prequels more than the OT.

That's just my opinion though.

bigbarada
10-06-2002, 01:48 PM
I totally agree with you Wolfwood on your comparison of Star Wars Fans to Trekkies. I don't believe that Star Wars has anymore relevance in our culture. The only people who hold it in such high regard are the fans who grew up with it. I know many will state that their children are huge Star Wars fans, but how long will that last? Do you really think those same kids will like Star Wars when they reach their teenage years and anything that their parents like is instantly "uncool"? Most young kids will like anything their parents like, especially something like Star Wars which, no matter how much fans hate the notion, is an all ages story.