PDA

View Full Version : Convention Exclusives: Yes or No?

JonoFett
08-13-2002, 07:46 AM
With Celebration III fast approaching:D ;) , what are your opinions on exclusive figures for the patrons of conventions and the wider impact on the collecting community?

I refer your attention to the Jorg Sacul figure and the now overly inflated cost he commands, making it difficult for collectors to acquire.

Discuss...:)

Exhaust Port
08-13-2002, 09:39 AM
I see no problem with giving something to those collectors who make it to a convention.

kadamontaga
08-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Hell no.
I'm in the UK and therefore can't get to the conventions even if I wanted to.
I don't like the Jorg figure, but if I did I'd be expected to pay anything from 60-100 to get one on the secondary market. And thats not even including ebay!

Geonosian
08-13-2002, 09:47 AM
No, they should be sold everywhere.

Beast
08-13-2002, 10:21 AM
I don't see a huge problem with a convention exclusive. Just as long as it's a re-paint, or a figure in a special box or card. I don't ever want to see new figures that were actually in the movies issued as convention exclusives. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
08-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Thats right...
There is a need for new figures.

thespar
08-13-2002, 10:52 AM
you are right on the nose with that one jarjar.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-13-2002, 11:29 AM
I don't mind Convention Exclusives- As long as they're not new action figures! If they're reissues, that's fine.

Jayspawn
08-13-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm against them. I'm never able to make the cons these thigns are given away at. So therefore, I lose out! I hadn't a chance in hell of getting Jorg Sacul. And I'm not paying Ebay prices.

KIDD
08-13-2002, 01:26 PM
i think the exclusives are fine because the people who travel a long way to get to the conventions or cons whatever the event may be they should be rewarded with exclusive figures thats just my 2 cents

hango fett
08-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't ever want to see new figures that were actually in the movies issued as convention exclusives. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

amen jarjar. that would be like giving out AOTC on dvd to only those people who went to midnight showings!
h

Mandalorian Candidat
08-13-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't see a huge problem with a convention exclusive. Just as long as it's a re-paint, or a figure in a special box or card. I don't ever want to see new figures that were actually in the movies issued as convention exclusives. :)

I didn't have a problem with the Jorg Sacul figure at all except that people waited in line expecting to get them, then couldn't because they were told the fan club sold out and the later found out that the exclusive was being sold by retailers on the internet (not just from people selling their private stash). That's what would irk me.

If Hasbro or the FC or whoever is in charge of these things can't control the sale to make it fair to 99% of the convention goers (there's always going to be a few people that get left out for what ever reason) then they should not have exclusives except for selling them on their website.

Going back to JJB's comment, I would renounce Hasbro and all their minions if they ever put out a better figure at a convention than what is available on the pegs. For example, if they had an Anakin will 100% articulation with some kick-A features and accessories and all we got at W-M was the OPD Ani, I would stop buying Hasbro's products. A generic alien or wannabe X-wing pilot on the other hand...

Dark Marble
08-13-2002, 04:03 PM
I say no to exclusives of any kind for just about anything. It is bad enough that we have to fight through retail employees scalpers and other collectors to round out a simple collection, but to limit toys to a certain group for a few days stinks. That isn't even the worst of it. It is the kids and collectors getting the shaft and being left to the secondary market to pay a small fortune to get a figure that would never be $100+ in the first place.
Some here have said that it is cool that convention goers get something extra for being there. A good point, but I think that the extra is being at the convention in the first place. I have never been to a major convention that has been worth it, and don't see it happening in the near future. So nothing for me on that front unless some slob, much like the comic book guy from the simpsons, wants to bring the price down to $125 for that "converton exclusive." It is a sad state to leave out any of your fans for any reason. Ok, rant is over. They are just toys...right? :crazed:

Adam
08-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Dark Marble
It is bad enough that we have to fight through retail employees scalpers and other collectors to round out a simple collection, but to limit toys to a certain group for a few days stinks.

Unfortunatly, some things have to be exclusives, like the Bwing for instance, or they never see the light of day.

JEDIpartner
08-13-2002, 06:40 PM
I concur... there should be exclusives, but not entirely new figures doled out. I think that they could do a re-paint and pack it in with something along the lines of the MM X-Wing packed in with Jorj Balsac ;)

They could do an Obi-Wan with a MM Jedi Starfighter or a Jango Fett with a MM SLAVE I. That sort of thing.

Prince Xizor
08-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I concur... there should be exclusives, but not entirely new figures doled out. I think that they could do a re-paint and pack it in with something along the lines of the MM X-Wing packed in with Jorj Balsac ;)

They could do an Obi-Wan with a MM Jedi Starfighter or a Jango Fett with a MM SLAVE I. That sort of thing.

I agree, A figure already wide-released with an extra accersory or maybe a convention stamp or something of that matter wouldn't bother me as much as a brand new figure does.

OriginalBryGuy
08-14-2002, 05:57 PM
I think Convention Exclusives are fine. Many people spent thousands just to get to Indy for Celebration II. If there's a convention only fig, then yea, it's special, and the people that made it all that way deserve it. Of course, I do think that they should at least have enough to supply those that make it to the convention. If they can't, then yea, that's a problem.

If Celebration III was going to be in Siberia, and there's no way I knew I could get there, I wouldn't be too sad about not being able to get it.

Convention exclusives are meant for those that can attend, not those that want to attend. But you have to be prepared for the aftermarket ticket shock if you can't get there.

I say yes to exclusives as long as they have enough supply to meet the covention only demand.