PDA

View Full Version : Sick Of Variations

I_Deus
08-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one who is sick of all the variations? I can understand a bunch of them but it seems like every figure you GET is a different variation. COME ON NOW.

Beast
08-13-2002, 11:13 AM
There have only been a few actual figure variations. Luke Bespin's hand changes and Han Solo: Endor's Droid caller changes. The rest are errors and packaging changes. And unless you collect carded and are really anal about having every packaging variant, then they are not somthing to get your knickers in a twist over. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
08-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
There have only been a few actual figure variations. Luke Bespin's hand changes and Han Solo: Endor's Droid caller changes. The rest are errors and packaging changes. And unless you collect carded and are really anal about having every packaging variant, then they are not somthing to get your knickers in a twist over. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Very true. I pick up a variation every now and then if I think it's interesting, but otherwise, I simply buy the one I like best (or, more often, the one that's cheapest;)) I can understand being upset if you are a diehard completist, and must haveevery packaging variation, but then again, if you are, then you have to accept that shelling out more money comes with the territory.:)

BTW JarJar, was there and actual variation on Bespin Vader's left hand? I remember a report on the front page about the fingers on his hand being slightly altered, but I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed to be a true variation.

Beast
08-13-2002, 11:27 AM
I don't think it's a real varient. It's just a case of the hand probably cooling oddly as it came out of the mold. Even if it is a real varient, it's a real stupid one, IMHO.

Oh, I forgot to include Padme's mole variant. That's another one that gets an award for the stupidest variant ever. I don't think R2's legs were supposed to be a variant, I think they always meant to put the new legs on the Saga R2-D2 and it was overlooked. :)

It all comes down to the fact that there have been errors and varients from the beginning. Most of the Vintage variants don't even garner the ammount of news that the stuff in the new lines get. And alot of them were alot bigger then anything the modern line ever did. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
08-13-2002, 11:35 AM

It all comes down to the fact that there have been errors and varients from the beginning. Most of the Vintage variants don't even garner the ammount of news that the stuff in the new lines get. And alot of them were alot bigger then anything the modern line ever did. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lol, I always think it's funny when someone mentions how mad they are about the number of resculpted characters. Back in the vintage days they were cranking out the exact same figures on twenty different cards and no one batted an eye. I'd much rather have the brand new Bespin Luke than have them slap the old mold on a brand new card, as in the vintage line.:)

Beast
08-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Agreed, can you imagine if they shipped the POTF2 first 9 now next to the Saga stuff. People would laugh them off the shelves they were so bad. I'm always up for a re-sculpt, but only if it improves the figure, or adds accessories and features that were missing from the original figure. I think about 40% of the POTF2 figures could use a re-sculpt.:)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
08-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Agreed, can you imagine if they shipped the POTF2 first 9 now next to the Saga stuff. People would laugh them off the shelves they were so bad. I'm always up for a re-sculpt, but only if it improves the figure, or adds accessories and features that were missing from the original figure. I think about 40% of the POTF2 figures could use a re-sculpt.:)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

*cough* Han Carbonite *cough, cough* ;)

Seriously, I want a new Han in Carbonite dangit! With the quality of accessories we're getting now, they could actually make a great new carbonite block for him, instead of a cruddy little shell which you can only look at from the front.

And they may even be able to give him enough articulation to pose him somewhat cloes to how he looks on the front of the block. That was always one of my favorite vintage figs and I was very diappointed with the POTF2 figure. I think a Saga version would rule all! :)

I'm also crossing my fingures for a new Jedi Luke. Counting all the one's that came with vehicles, Beasts, Complete Galaxy, Cinema Scenes etc.. they've probably made about 10 versions of Luke in his black Jedi robes,and virtually every one of them was mediocre at best! Give us a new one PLEASE! You can even give him the lightsaber attraction magnet feature, since he actually uses that in the film, unlike several of the Jedi from the Saga line ;)

Jargo
08-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Variations are laughable at best. Most are so ludicrously erroneous that I spit violently at my PC monitor when i see a lame report show up. ERROR is what ninety nine point nine of these things are. Plain and simple errors that should be trashed as shoddy product unfit to get past Hasbro qualntiyt corntrol.

As long as I get the figure I set out to buy in the blister, with all the requisite bits and pieces intact and with a passable paint job and no wonky or shortened legs or unintentional drop off arms, or shrivelled blaster or accessory, then I'm happy to plonk down the cash for the product.

As I said several times before; "admitting to the pursuit of imperfection gives us a disturbing insight into the minds of the terminally insecure". A malady all too prelevent in todays society. It is not something to be proud of. not one iota..... :zzz:

aceguide
08-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Variants and errors make me laugh. Most seem to simply be effective in creating an auction market...

boss nass
08-13-2002, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking Hasbo does some of these on purpose to get you the collector to buy more figures.So many errors with so much technology.hhhmmm boy they're good!!Not me i collect only 1 of each figure i don't care if the *** is black OR blue as long as i have a decent figure of that charecter

Adam
08-13-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I'm also crossing my fingures for a new Jedi Luke.

Heck ya! They really need to do two RotJ Luke's. One from Tattoine and one from the Death Star II.

For those wondering why I want two, he wears different costumes. Some people I've chatted/talked with never realized it.

Prince Xizor
08-13-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

*cough* Han Carbonite *cough, cough* ;)

Seriously, I want a new Han in Carbonite dangit! With the quality of accessories we're getting now, they could actually make a great new carbonite block for him, instead of a cruddy little shell which you can only look at from the front.

And they may even be able to give him enough articulation to pose him somewhat cloes to how he looks on the front of the block. That was always one of my favorite vintage figs and I was very diappointed with the POTF2 figure. I think a Saga version would rule all! :)

Dammit, your right. A new Han in Carbonite would be a very welcomed addition to my stash. And they need to make it open up so that Han is inside looking just like he did when Leia unfroze him. AGH! I want it now!

sith_killer_99
08-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Back in the vintage days they were cranking out the exact same figure on twenty different cards and no one batted an eye.

Close enough. Though over the years figures on certain card backs have brought in more money. It wasn't until AFTER the secondary market was widely established that it became an issue.

And lets not forget that MANY of the POTF2 figures shipped on different cards. Just off the top of my head, Han in Carbonite, Luke in Stormtrooper outfit, Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper (Tatooine Stormtrooper)....ALL shipped on Orange cards, Green cards (with or without holo foils) AND Freeze Frames.

As for re-sculpts...

Over the years, technology has improved and so have the figures. But, back in the days of vintage there were no significant improvements in sculpting or mfg technology. Just look at the original Stormtrooper from 1977...then look at the Luke in Stormtrooper outfit from the original POTF line (1985) there were no significant changes (in 8 years!) so no need for a resculpt.

Today, technology seems to improve the figures every couple of years. Thus we see a greater demand for re-sculpts.

Just food for thought.

And yes, I do get sick of ERRORS.:rolleyes:

But now...variations...that's a different story.;)

TylerD
08-14-2002, 02:23 AM
You know what I am sick of? I am sick of Thrawn posting every little minute error or variation on the main page news section. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! I don't think that the misspelling of the word "droids" is main stream news. :rolleyes:

fourtwo
08-14-2002, 04:17 AM
poor quality control doesn't interest me. i open everything. i might get a variation if i even knew what to look for and use it for trade bait, but otherwise..meh..i'll take a properly done figure anyday.

so yes, i'm "sick of variations myself"

DarthMushy
08-14-2002, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking Hasbo does some of these on purpose to get you the collector to buy more figures

Yeah... this wouldn't surprise me at all. It's either that or they employ monkeys as quality control.

Beast
08-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Geez, it's not like other toy lines don't have the same problems with this sort of stuff. Most of the people that complain about Hasbro and the errors and variations act like they are the only one that is plauged by it. When you are making products in such a large number and so quickly, their are bound to be problems. Atleast Hasbro isn't plauged nearly as bad as McFarlane's quality control problems. Breaking arms, legs, heads, just by moving them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
08-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Adam

Heck ya! They really need to do two RotJ Luke's. One from Tattoine and one from the Death Star II.

For those wondering why I want two, he wears different costumes. Some people I've chatted/talked with never realized it.

Yeah, that's me. Guilty as charged. :) And you know what? I watched ROTJ again a few weeks ago and forgot to look at Luke's outfits AGAIN. Oh well, I'll just tack that on my to-do list.

Anyway, I've been ignoring this thread until now. I hate hearing about variations and errors. However, I'm not going to sit around and complain about them. I just ignore them.

I won't knock people who do collect variations and errors. The way I see it, they help keep some figures from sitting forever on the pegs.:D ;)

bigbarada
08-14-2002, 12:53 PM
I think the only significant variation we have seen in the Saga line is the Luke Bespins. I saw the droid caller thing on Han Endor and think it is too minor to even count. Everything else listed on SSG as a variation is simply an error.

Of course the vintage line had variants, and people are just as adamant about pointing them out as the modern collectors. Just listen to someone explaining the difference between the red emblem and orange/red emblem on the vintage AT-AT Driver for proof that vintage collectors are just as anal retentive.

I am glad that SirSteve has created a special Variation Hunter's Asylum Forum so that those nuts can be locked away to discuss all of this nonsense between themselves.:crazed:

Chiesa
08-14-2002, 12:54 PM
Yes true I don't really give a damn about the little bitsy errors that hasbro makes... I mean as long its a figure that doesn't break or look ridiculously off from the intended finished product... Why should we really care right?? Nobody is perfect!!

Rogue II
08-14-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I am glad that SirSteve has created a special Variation Hunter's Asylum Forum so that those nuts can be locked away to discuss all of this nonsense between themselves.:crazed:

Oh how did I forget to mention that? Where do I get in line to think SirSteve? The Saga forum was flooded with those posts before created that forum. It has made ignoring the varitaion/errors so much easier.

THANK YOU SIRSTEVE!!!!!

I_Deus
08-15-2002, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I just want that sense of completion. Its nice to have "THE WHOLE SET" But it is vitually impossible to when there are so many. Wish I had more money for it. Oh well.

its just so annoying
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
08-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Man, now all you guys make me feel bad for collecting errors and variations. I think I'll go and cry now.LOL. I have explained why I collect these hateful things too many times, so I wont bother. In short it's fun for me. I'm thinking some of you are to late in the game to catch up with everything, so you knock the hobby. It's just like me not collectng Vintage, there's too much and not enough $$$$$. It's cool though. I have fun, that's what it's all about. Right!

Rogue II
08-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Money isn't an issue for me with the figure variation/errors. Since I open my figures, it eliminates the point of collecting card variations. Even back in the POTF2 line, if I did not bother getting each figure that came out with/without hologram and freezeframe. I also find it hard to get excited over a difference paint. So what if one Boba Fett has a circle on his hand and the other has only a half circle. Who cares how many dots are on the clone trooper? Same goes for my sports card collection. I pass on errors equally.

I don't count intentional variations (non-bearded /bearded Endor Trooper, Dirty/Clean Biker Scout). I will purchase them when I find them(well I guess I'm a little late on the biker scout, but you get my meaning). Besides, they are both army builders.

I will admit that I have the bloody Luke carded and opened the non-bloody version. I think that is the only variation I own. For sure, it is the only version I intentionally purchased.