PDA

View Full Version : Which current system would you prefer to play future Star Wars games on?

Tycho
08-13-2002, 05:40 PM
After seeing the results from this poll (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10066) it was clear that 50% of our SirStevesGuide readers were not only action figure collectors, but video game players, too!

With that in mind comes this poll with thanks and acknowledgment to our own video games forum moderator, Lord Malakite (thanks dude!)

Periodically, we'll poll a few more Star Wars video game questions.

For now, let's discuss your favorite system!

Adam
08-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Gamecube ALL THE WAY! :D

c_richards
08-13-2002, 06:22 PM
I would consider myself an avid gamer. But I had a bit of trouble answering this qurestion. I have a GC, PS2, N64, and a fairly fast PC at home (AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 DDR SDRAM, 80Gig HD, Radeon 8500, Sound Blaster Audigy Live)

I love any and all SW games that have been released with my absolute favorite being Rogue Sqaudron for the N64. SW and Video games are a very pivitol part of my life, and any chance I get, I am playing games at home, in the office (when my partner's not looking) and in the arcades! :)

I voted for the GC since that is the most recent system to come out (3 days newer than XBox) But...I would be happy to play ANY Star Wars Game for any format with the exception of XBox. I don't have, nor intend to get an XBox. I have looked at the specs for them and they are a stripped PIII 733MHz PC... I'll stick with the proven forces of Nintendo and Sony.....

For those that have an XBox...please don't be offended...I just don't feel it was worth the $299.99 and now the $199.99 price tag, when the PS2 will do the same! :)

MTFBWY!

Darth Tornado
08-13-2002, 06:30 PM
You know they should make a new star wars trilogy game where you can be Luke Han and all of them and play through the movies and I mean do it right with great graphics and game play and different play styles(not like the star wars ones for the super nintendo)

Pendo
08-13-2002, 07:07 PM
I'll say PlayStation 2, and that's probably only because I've got one! I know the graphics on PS2 aren't the best any more but I do think they have the best games to date (GTA3, MGS2, etc).

I think Darth Tornado's got a good point, they SHOULD make new games for the Classic Trillogy, but I don't think they'll be anything compared to the SNES's Super Star Wars series they were the best EVER! :D

PENDO!

Needles
08-13-2002, 09:24 PM
PS2 because I got one,but my favorite video game(STAR WARS) is STARW WARS :EPISODE 1 THE PHANTOM MENACE,on PS.its just to good of a a game

Cyan Loon
08-13-2002, 10:32 PM
I have a xbox, and all I can say is I'm waiting for knights of the old republic, and jedi knight 2

Beast
08-13-2002, 10:38 PM
I would have to go with PC, because of the upcoming Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG. Which will take place in the OT timeline, and include many of the Prequel and OT locations. Can't wait. Lucasarts did announce that different versions of the game will be released on the X-Box and the PlayStation 2. But I'll stick to the PC version, since I am not intrested in buying a video game console system. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
08-13-2002, 11:26 PM
I play all my games on PC whenever possible, another route is the Playstation2 my son has. I rarely use his at all because most of the time I'm on my PC.:)

Rogue II
08-13-2002, 11:33 PM
I voted for PS2 for a couple reasons. First off, because I have one. I am comfortable with the PS2 controller.

My PC isn't exactly top of the line, and I hate having to upgrade every few years to play newer games. Although, this would be my 2nd choice. PC games seem to be more customizeable.

Nexu
08-13-2002, 11:43 PM
PC; XBOX is the best console, and PS2 is junk.

JediTricks
08-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Of all the consoles on that list, I only have a PS2 simply because it was free - thus I voted for PS2. I can't say I'm thrilled with the GC controller, but it's better than the X-box controller IMO; I still think the PS2 controller is the best layout of the modern bunch though.

I also have an older PC so I really don't like the idea of having to buy a new one every few years just because I want to play a new SW game (I'm still waiting to build my PC that'll play Jedi Outcast :(). While PC probably has the most abilities for what I'd be looking for in a video game machine, it also has limitations that grow larger with only a few months.

Namrevlis
08-14-2002, 05:01 AM
I voted for the GC because I own it. However, I do own a pretty powerful pc as well and also have Star Wars games for the pc. But I find it easier to play games utilizing game consoles rather then the pc. I do wish that LucasArts and all other gaming companies would create the games for all platforms, rather than being exclusive to only one or two. I think they would find that they will make more money with less exclusivity and more openess with all gaming platforms. I mean, the BOTTOM LINE is what it's all about. Isn't it?

Quite-Gone Jim
08-14-2002, 08:20 AM
I had to vote for the PC for several reasons.

First, all the game systems go through upgrades in five year cycles, so I'd have to upgrade those systems to get the latests and greatest games (granted, this is cheaper that getting PC's, but I still have to upgrade).

Second, and biggest for me, is I can use the computer for other things. I love playing the games, but I can't play all the time. I actually do have work to do :cry: . Also, because of my job, and the work I do on my home PC, I usually need to upgrade that every three years, so I'm doing the upgrades anyway.

BTW: Favorite games: JKII, JKI, Rebellion (one of the only people that really like this I think), and Rogue Squadron.

scruffziller
08-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Adam
Gamecube ALL THE WAY! :D

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

No offense, but this poll is somewhat pointless. Of course we're going to vote for what system we have. Except for maybe the PC alot of us have a game console and a PC. PC versions don't have as many hidden goodies as the console versions do. PC version of the first ROGUE SQUADRON does not have (that we could find) the Naboo fighter.

mrmiller
08-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Iím admittedly a Video Game Junkie. I have a PC and just about every system but the Gamecube. I have Dreamcast, Psone, PS2, and Xbox. I even have all the older and vintage systems including Atariís, Coleco, Intelivison, NES, SuperNES, Segas (not Saturn), and more. Originally, I liked the PS2 the best. But lately Iíve found myself playing the Xbox more and more. I voted Xbox as itís now my favorite, and if any of the new games ever come out, should be for a long time. It is vastly superior to every other system out there. Only a high end PC can top it.

Xbox vs. PC- The problem I have with PCís is the constant need to upgrade, inferior games as support goes, and configuration problems. Many PC games are just a pain to get up and running. The buggy state that software companies release PC games also disappoints me, as they know they can just release a patch for it later. Iím assured with Xbox I can play any game released. My main high point on PCís was the upgradablity and online play. But with the Xbox having a built in hard drive and Ethernet card built in, thatís not such a big deal now. And at $199 you could get either an Xbox or a new video card for your PC.

Xbox vs. Gamecube. Now I donít have a gamecube- yet. Gamecube doesnít appeal to me much, as it is geared more as a ďkiddieĒ system. Most of the games are the kiddie type, and those that are not can be played on other systems as well. Nintendo does have some first party games that might be worth checking out, as well as the Resident Evil series, so I might be picking one up later for these few games. But I would guess Xbox would remain my favorite.

Xbox vs. PS2. This was a difficult one. I really like the PS2, and it has a ton of cool games plus the backwards compatibility of PSone. The only drawback for it is the 2 controller ports instead of 4. But the new games being released for both PS2 and Xbox are much better on Xbox. Over the last few monts I've found myself playing the Xbox much more than the PS2, and I will not even rent PS2 games that are comming out for Xbox, even if they are on PS2 first.

Xbox vs. Xbox. The main problem for Xbox is lack of software and the monster controller. I have both the Controller-S and an X-connector, that allows you to use the PS2 controller on Xbox. So the controller is not a problem anymore, as both are excellent. Now if some of the awesome games would just come out soon...

As far as Star Wars Games go, I have to go with PC or SuperNES. The Star Wars trilogy on SNES was awesome, but the Dark Forces series and X-wing/Tie Fighter series on PC were the best. I also liked the EP1 Racer and Racer Revenge games. The future looks bright for Xbox as they are getting Dark Forces 2 and Knights of the Old republic as well as more. I just can't wait!

Sorry about the long post- but my 2 biggest passions are Video Games and Star Wars :D

=MATT=

pthfnder89
08-14-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Gone Jim
BTW: Favorite games: JKII, JKI, Rebellion (one of the only people that really like this I think), and Rogue Squadron.

Sweet! I thought I'd never find someone else who likes Rebellion as much as I do! I still play that game, it's addictive as heck. :)

Anyway, I chose PC as my favorite game platform. When it all comes down to it, what I really pay attention to are the games, not the platform, but over the years, it's the PC games that have consistently been a big part of my life.

I think the reason is that my favorite games in the world are the ones that can suck me in completely and make me think of nothing else, and I've never found a console game like that (although I do have a blast on console games too) Deus Ex, Thief, No One Lives Forever, Jedi Kinght, the Xwing series... I just LOVE the immersion that PC games give you. I can only think of a few console games that have sucked me in like that (MGS2, Resident Evil 2) Sadly, my once powerful comp is barely meeting the minimum specs anymore so I'm in the process of saving up.

I have a PS2, Gamecube, PC, and hopefully, by the end of the month, I'll have an Xbox. I don't care which platform I use, as long as the game I'm playing is good. Anyone who thinks one console sucks just because he's loyal to another is an idiot. :D

c_richards
08-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
PC; XBOX is the best console, and PS2 is junk.

I would like to debate that topic! XBox is DECENT at best. Don't get me wrong, the graphics accelerator looks good, and the sounds cool, but when it comes down to it...it is a stripped 733MHz PC!

The lack of software, the large controller, and the fact that I just feel Microsoft doesn't need to make any more money off me is the reason I stay away! Sure, it has Obi-Wan, as well as Starfighter, but let's face it... the system is a monster!!!!!

GC, while being geared to a younger audeince, they have not forgotten the core group. Evidence is supported by GC having Resident Evil, and at least a good half dozen games rated "M", and dozens rated "T". Granted game ratings do not justify the reason for buying a system or game.... but for a system that is relatively new, and geared towards a younger audience, they appearance of the mature games are a nice touch.

PS2 and for that matter PS1 are great consoles. The games are fairly fun, and have a decent replay value. the fact that you can play MOST PS1 games on the PS2 is a great move, and just makes the PS2 a more dynamic system!

Of course, let's not forget the PC crowd!!!! Many gamers take pride in their machines, as well the should! Chip prices have fallen recently, and parts to upgrade your machines are fairly competitive.

I just recently built my machine from scratch, and aside from the flat screen monitor, nothing on my list cost more than $199.99!!!! For those interested, I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 DDR RAM, 80gig HD, Radeon 8500 video board, and a Soundblaster Audigy Sound card. Now...while I will have to upgrade this system in the future, At least I know that I have the ability to do that, where you really can't do anything like that with a console.

Sure you can have it "modded" but I have heard so many horror stories about that....it's not worth the time, money and if it get's mucked up the headaches!

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion, and please do not be offended by what I say....but I can't support the statement that the XBOX is the best game system ever! Not even close in my opinion!!!!

mrmiller
08-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by c_richards

I would like to debate that topic! XBox is DECENT at best. Don't get me wrong, the graphics accelerator looks good, and the sounds cool, but when it comes down to it...it is a stripped 733MHz PC!

The lack of software, the large controller, and the fact that I just feel Microsoft doesn't need to make any more money off me is the reason I stay away! Sure, it has Obi-Wan, as well as Starfighter, but let's face it... the system is a monster!!!!!

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion, and please do not be offended by what I say....but I can't support the statement that the XBOX is the best game system ever! Not even close in my opinion!!!!

Do you even have an Xbox? I didn't care much for it at first, but had to have Halo. Now it's my favorite system. You really should give it a try. And I do value your opinion, but I'm not saying Xbox is best console ever. It's just my favorite- right now. Best conslole ever would be PS2. I would normally say PSone, but PS2 can play most all PSone games as well as PS2 games and DVD. Either that or Atari 7800 ( I know, I know- but it's awesome trust me.)

I just recently built my machine from scratch, and aside from the flat screen monitor, nothing on my list cost more than $199.99!!!! For those interested, I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 DDR RAM, 80gig HD, Radeon 8500 video board, and a Soundblaster Audigy Sound card. Now...while I will have to upgrade this system in the future, At least I know that I have the ability to do that, where you really can't do anything like that with a console.

You upgrade your console by buying a new one. And for the jump in performance form one to the other, it's cheaper than upgrading your PC.

=MATT=

c_richards
08-14-2002, 01:06 PM
I totally understand your point Mr. Miller and I am glad you didn't get offended! :)

True...XBOX has some good games...but I'm not a big fan of Microsoft. And I can only see trouble for the XBOX.

You are right....PS2 rocks! I love mine, and will never let that sucker go! But, I am a bit dismayed that you say to upgrade a console, just buy a new one. While that is true.... you can only have so many console systems and then what? :) There has to be a point where enough is enough! :)

You mention the Atari 7800? I can beat you there! I still have, mint in package, a copy of Empire Strikes back for the Atari 2600!!!!!!!!!!

Now for more fun....my progression into the realm of home gaming consoles went like this:

PONG -> Atari 2600 -> Nintendo Entertainment System (complete with ROB the robot and light gun) -> Sega Genesis -> Sega CD add-on -> Sega 32X add-on -> PS1 -> N64 -> PS2 -> Game Cube

As far as PC's go....I was hammering on them and programming on them since I was 7...I'm now 28! I'm not talking about windows either, I am talking about hard coded DOS commands, using boot floppies, and all that jazz.... :)

Ok...I just showed my age...and I am old.... but hey...I am a kid at heart...and will never grow up....

I may grow old, but I will never grow up!

Rogue II
08-14-2002, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you guys are having this debate over game systems. I'm happy with my PS2, and I plan on upgrading my PC next year. I even bought a used N64 last year so I could play Rogue Squadron and SOTE. I might pick up pod-racing in the near future, too.

I hear arguements all the time over which system is better, X-Box or PS2 (Gamecube never seems to pop up in those discussions). I've considered getting an X-Box since the price dropped, but so far, nothing has made me decide that I had to have one.

mrmiller
08-14-2002, 02:10 PM

You mention the Atari 7800? I can beat you there! I still have, mint in package, a copy of Empire Strikes back for the Atari 2600!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, well do you have over 200 different 2600 games? I do, and I have about 50 or more mint in package ones- but no Star Wars. Yea, I'm a sick collector. :D

PONG -> Atari 2600 -> Nintendo Entertainment System (complete with ROB the robot and light gun) -> Sega Genesis -> Sega CD add-on -> Sega 32X add-on -> PS1 -> N64 -> PS2 -> Game Cube
Super Pong (the color one)-> 2600 -> Colecovision -> 7800 -> NES -> Super NES & Genisis -> PS1 -> Jaguar -> Dreamcast -> PS2 -> Xbox Not to mention picking up other vintage systems once I started getting serious ( ie could afford) about collecting.

As far as PC's go....I was hammering on them and programming on them since I was 7...I'm now 28! I'm not talking about windows either, I am talking about hard coded DOS commands, using boot floppies, and all that jazz.... :)

Ok...I just showed my age...and I am old.... but hey...I am a kid at heart...and will never grow up....

I may grow old, but I will never grow up!

I hear you brother- I turn 30 in November. My wife has been supportive, but is now like- "you're almost 30. Isn't it about time you quit collecting games and toys?". She is such a great wife, always finding a way to make me laugh! :rolleyes:

Back on subjrect- Honestly one of the best Star Wars games might just be ESB on 2600 or the original Vector Star Wars Arcade Game (the arcade one, not console). I bet I've spent more hours on ESB than any other Star Wars Games. And everyone who have ever had the privelidge of playing the sit-down version of the Star Wars Arcade knows what I'm talking about. I'd give my left kindey to have one of those. ;)

=MATT=

Adam
08-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by mrmiller

Xbox vs. Gamecube. Now I donít have a gamecube- yet. Gamecube doesnít appeal to me much, as it is geared more as a ďkiddieĒ system. Most of the games are the kiddie type, and those that are not can be played on other systems as well. Nintendo does have some first party games that might be worth checking out, as well as the Resident Evil series, so I might be picking one up later for these few games. But I would guess Xbox would remain my favorite.

=MATT=

Gamecube is NO kiddie system. Like you said, Resident Evil is exclusive to the GC now, AND it has Eternal Darkness (which blows RE out of the water). And it has Rogue Leader, which is like my favorite game EVER. :D And you have not experienced pure joy until you've beat the snot out of a friend in Super Smash Brothers Melee. And it has some great ones coming out this year: Super Mario Sunshine (ignore that horrible commercial! pretty much every one who has imported it has said its great.), Zelda, and Metroid. And there's probably a few more I'm missing. Point is, don't underestimate Nintendo.

At least I think it is.. I'm so tired I'm suprised I rememberd what systems I DO have..

Edit: Oh! And I forgot Super Monkey Ball! You can't go wrong with monkeys!

c_richards
08-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by mrmiller

Oh yea, well do you have over 200 different 2600 games? I do, and I have about 50 or more mint in package ones- but no Star Wars. Yea, I'm a sick collector. :D

Super Pong (the color one)-> 2600 -> Colecovision -> 7800 -> NES -> Super NES & Genisis -> PS1 -> Jaguar -> Dreamcast -> PS2 -> Xbox Not to mention picking up other vintage systems once I started getting serious ( ie could afford) about collecting.

I hear you brother- I turn 30 in November. My wife has been supportive, but is now like- "you're almost 30. Isn't it about time you quit collecting games and toys?". She is such a great wife, always finding a way to make me laugh! :rolleyes:

Back on subjrect- Honestly one of the best Star Wars games might just be ESB on 2600 or the original Vector Star Wars Arcade Game (the arcade one, not console). I bet I've spent more hours on ESB than any other Star Wars Games. And everyone who have ever had the privelidge of playing the sit-down version of the Star Wars Arcade knows what I'm talking about. I'd give my left kindey to have one of those. ;)

=MATT=

That's cool your wife supports you. Wish I could find a girl that would be the same with me! I'm still looking for Ms. Right.... I know she's out there....just haven't found her yet!

Anways....let's face it....it's fun to be a kid in your mind.... It's a great escape from the normal hustle and bustle of daily life and all that!

Beast
08-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Cool, I don't feel so old anymore. Nice to meet people that love the old systems as much as I do. Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivison, Colecovision. Those were the great days of video games. Sometimes I miss them.

And wow c_richards, I didn't think anyone remembered the original Nintendo w/ Rob the Robot and the light gun. Man, I am feeling a massive wave of nostalgia for those old systems.

I still want to get a 5200 or 7800 off Ebay, since my dad bought a 5200 (or 7800) for the family, and returned it the next day cause he sucked at it. He ended up coming home with a TI 99/4A. Now that is a vintage computer systems. Gotta love Audio Cassette data storage systems. :eek: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

c_richards
08-14-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I still want to get a 5200 or 7800 off Ebay, since my dad bought a 5200 (or 7800) for the family, and returned it the next day cause he sucked at it. He ended up coming home with a TI 99/4A. Now that is a vintage computer systems. Gotta love Audio Cassette data storage systems. :eek: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Oh yeah.....tape data drives....I remember those... How about this one... Magnetic 3" tape! There's an archaic storage device.

Like I said, I was working on mainframes and PCs since I was 7....
My first computer I ever owned was an old Amstrad 512K with dual 5 1/4" floppies. This machine had no HD, nothing....I had to boot with a floppy, and then load the program. Then later on, I was able to get a hard card (pre-hd) put in...and learned how to work with that. After that, I went to an old 286 Laptop, where I learned how to make .wavs work and force internal speakers to play with drivers. From there, a Pentium 75, after that a P200, and now my AMD :)

Don't feel old....feel greatful that you got to play with these old machines. Anyone remember Vectrex? My friends had one of them.... Black and white monitor, cartridge based system that you put little screen covers on to enhance a game! :)

MTFBWY!

Darth Evil
08-14-2002, 03:02 PM
The X-Box, in my opinion, really hasn't much to show. Halo is the only amazing game on it so far. I voted for Gamecube, the controller is excellent and the it's Star Wars showing so far has been great. Partly because there's been only one SW game so far, but it is great! With Jedi Outcast and Bounty Hunter on the way. PS2 has had a poor SW showing so far, only Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter have been good. And PC will always get SW.

mrmiller
08-14-2002, 03:18 PM

Gamecube is NO kiddie system. Like you said, Resident Evil is exclusive to the GC now, AND it has Eternal Darkness (which blows RE out of the water). And it has Rogue Leader, which is like my favorite game EVER. :D And you have not experienced pure joy until you've beat the snot out of a friend in Super Smash Brothers Melee. And it has some great ones coming out this year: Super Mario Sunshine (ignore that horrible commercial! pretty much every one who has imported it has said its great.), Zelda, and Metroid. And there's probably a few more I'm missing. Point is, don't underestimate Nintendo.

That's why I say I don't have one "Yet". Lots of good games comming out, but Mario and Zelda still look.... well, Kiddie. ;)

Vetrex! Yes, that is on my vintage collecting list.

Speaking of tapes and strange periferials (go go gyroscope) NE1 remember the Supercharger that came out for atari? It was a huge cart with a headphone jack coming out out it. You then loaded games off of a cassette tape. They were crazy about tapes in the 80's like they were CD's in the 90's and DVD now. I actully have a NES gameglove too. NES was king of crappy periferials.

Dreamgame- an Arcade Cocktail tabe Ms. Pac Man. When I got married I told my wife that that was what I was going to get to put in our living room as a coffee table. As supportive as she is, she didn't quite go for it. That or a Star Wars Trilogy pinball machine :). Now thats some gaming!

=MATT=

Tonysmo
08-14-2002, 03:23 PM
I voted PC.. no other reason than JEDI OUTCAST II. I recently built my son a nice "gamer" PC and OUTCAST plays really nice.. looks good as well on the 19" monitor.. I also recently "borrowed" my nephews Xbox, and after playing a few games.. ( I've yet to rent any starwars games.. soon though..) I think I may have a hard time giving it back.. Looks like I may have to get my own.. ( sigh ) as for PS2, I've yet to play it, I'm happy with my MOD PS1. I dont think the PS2 will play all of my "back-up" games..

anyhow.. I am currently awaiting the newest PC game for the starwars family.. cant get here soon enough.. and as for Xbox, as soon as I rent Obi wan, and the jedi starfighter games.. I'll be back on here to change my vote..

Eternal Padawan
08-14-2002, 09:01 PM
See I wasn't going to add my two cents until JJB mentioned the TI99 4/A! :D. My dad got that and two crappy games back in the day. It was such a crappy computer, we didn't get another PC until I bought one when I moved out in '98!
I haven't gotten any new consoles yet, but I've played the demos at Wal-Mart. X-Box is alright, but I have issues with Microsoft as well. I'd get a PS2 just to play metal gear. But I like GameCube best. With the new Starfox, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, and Metroid games coming out, I think this Christmas will see a CG under the tree. And I hope they are working on a new banjo kazoooie for the GC. That is the most addicting game I've played in years.

ROLLO!

Beast
08-14-2002, 09:04 PM
Someone else remembers the abomination that was the TI-99/4A? I still have that thing, it's packed up in my storage room. I have about 10-12 games for the thing as well. I'm holding off until I meet someone that is really into dead technology, and then they are going to get it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rogue_12
08-15-2002, 12:05 AM
i voted for the gamecube, but i also own the xbox. the cube is great just for the simple fact that is nintendo. i have been a gamer for 22 years now and nintendo has been there the whole time. the xbox is great because of the hard drive and ethernet connection. all i have to say is the ps2 was out dated about a year ago. "jaggie" graphics and slow load times....can't wait to see the ps2 online oh wait i can wait. with the load times on the ps2 i could cryogenically freeze myself for 50 years and then wake up only to let the darn thing keep loading. sony only gets good games(final fantasy gta 3) because they know how to "orally" negotiate with the companies....."orally" negotiate means to perform a duty to get something you want. anyways game cube and xbox will get my dough and if i can get a pc worthy of galaxies then i will begin play when it comes out in feb.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
No offense, but this poll is somewhat pointless. Of course we're going to vote for what system we have. Except for maybe the PC alot of us have a game console and a PC. An interesting point. I personally would have liked a poll about which types of SW games we like most or would like to see more of (Flight Sim; FPS; RPG/Strategy; Racing; whatever, I dunno, I'm not that much a gamer :D) but it is interesting to see that the X-box, which is in 1 million less homes than the GC (which itself is in like 3 million less homes than the PS2) is coming in fairly high while PC, which we almost all own, is coming in lower... I'll assume that handful of "Other" votes are for the SNES/GBA or other semi-active game machines.

Tonysmo
08-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Played Jedi Starfighter (Special Edition) on XBOX last night. Througly enjoyed the graphics. The flights through the asteroid fields were pretty amazing. My son is having a hard time letting me play it though cause he is enjoying the Tony Hawk series of games.. so, its up until after midnight for me for awhile, while I get in as much Star Wars gaming as I can.
The XBOX is really starting to become my favorite system. I understand the thoughts of hating Microsoft, as I owe Mr. Gates a ton of cash for a USELESS MCSE title.. but I don't hold that against the gaming system... now to talk the wife into getting me one for the birthday I'm bound to have sometime this year..

Rogue II
08-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Someone else remembers the abomination that was the TI-99/4A? I still have that thing, it's packed up in my storage room. I have about 10-12 games for the thing as well. I'm holding off until I meet someone that is really into dead technology, and then they are going to get it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I had a TI-99/4A as well. One of my father's friends worked for TI, and sold my father on the idea.

We had a dozen or so games, and of couse some educational software.:rolleyes: I can only remember a few titles: Tombstone, Hunt the Wumpus, Parsec. One game was like Space Invaders, but in order to kill the aliens, you had to solve the math problem that was on their ship. Hours of entertainment.

I learned to program Basic on it. We had the expansion system for it so it could take 5 1/4" floppys. We had the cassette tape thing as well.

Eventually we replaced the old TI with a nice 286. I think my parents gave the TI away to our neighbors.

Did anyone else have the mat for the old nintendo system? That track and field game was a pretty good workout.

billfremore
08-15-2002, 11:41 AM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Oh my god!
I had forgotten all about the Texas Instruments computer/game system.

Say Jar Jar do you have Parsec and Munchman?

pthfnder89
08-15-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
Played Jedi Starfighter (Special Edition) on XBOX last night. Througly enjoyed the graphics. The flights through the asteroid fields were pretty amazing.

I've held off on getting Jedi Starfighter for PS2 because I knew I would be getting an Xbox at somepoint in the future so I wanted to hold off. Same thing with the Spiderman the Movie game; I considered getting the Gamecube version, but I fugred I'd just be upset if I didn't wait and get the Xbox version.

Hopefully I'll have my Box by the end of the month, just in time for Buffy tVS which I've been DYING for! I'm really picky about the games I buy now, because I used to buy every big new game that came out, and I would wind up playing them for about 2 days, and then putting it in the closet. Literally, I would only finish about 1/10th of the games I bought. I finally wised up and started only buying the games I KNOW I'll play.

MrMiller - someone had an original Vector Star Wars game cabinet (the one you actually sat down in) on display at the Sci Fi Expo last year; I nearly wet myself with envy :D

Beast
08-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Oh my god!
I had forgotten all about the Texas Instruments computer/game system.
Yep, I have both of those. I don't recall all the other ones that I have though. I haven't messed with that system in years. I used to be pretty darn good at Munchman and Parsec. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
08-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

I've held off on getting Jedi Starfighter for PS2 because I knew I would be getting an Xbox at somepoint in the future so I wanted to hold off. Same thing with the Spiderman the Movie game; I considered getting the Gamecube version, but I fugred I'd just be upset if I didn't wait and get the Xbox version.

I was considering buying the PS2 Starfighter 2pack at TRU for $50. I never bought the first one.

Munchman....wasn't that the cheezy Pac-Man rip-off? I played the heck out of it.

Beast
08-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Yep, Munchman was the one where you filled the maze up with a chain, instead of emptying the maze of dots. The "ghosts" were aliens and changed shapes and speed every few levels. There even was an invisable maze every so often. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-15-2002, 01:55 PM

Yep, I have both of those. I don't recall all the other ones that I have though. I haven't messed with that system in years. I used to be pretty darn good at Munchman and Parsec. ;) :D

I wore out 2 joysticks playing munchman. :D

OriginalBryGuy
08-15-2002, 02:43 PM
I play my games on PC, or PlayStation 2. Both have their pros and cons when it comes to delivering a great Star Wars videogame experience.

Then there's MAME....I love playing Star Wars in wireframe vector graphics!

c_richards
08-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Someone on here mentioned they'd love to see games from the classic trilogy ported over?

I would second that motion as well as add another request.....

I WANT STAR WARS TRILOGY Arcade (by Sega) ported over to either GC or PS2.

That game just rocks. The fact that you can go through all 3 missions, Yavin, Hoth, Endor, plus the bonus rounds of fighting Boba Fett on Tatooine, and Vader on DSII.

I would love to have this game!!!!
Who's with me? :)

billfremore
08-15-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm with you, I'd love to have this game at home as opposed to shovelling $10 in quarters into it. :D

c_richards
08-15-2002, 03:11 PM
I'm with you, I'd love to have this game at home as opposed to shovelling $10 in quarters into it. :D

$10 in quarters? Damn!!!!! How much does it cost per "credit"? I usually kill the game with a General ranking or higher on about 2 bucks or so! :)

Then again...I am paying between 50 and 75 cents per credit!

The most I ever paid was 5 bucks and that let me beat the game!

Rogue II
08-15-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm with you.

Who's nipples do we have to twist to get that game for PS2?

Now this is something worth petitioning over. Hey, has anyone ever petitioned Sega?

billfremore
08-15-2002, 04:07 PM
Hmm it may be time to use our powers of petition to convince the fine folks at Sega...:D

slaveblood
08-16-2002, 05:13 AM
I refuse to vote because you didn't mention the Macintosh. Finally Lucasarts is getting stuff out for the Mac again.
And don't anybody start a PC/Mac flame war.
I am not trying to start ANYTHING, just stating my reason for not voting.

slaveblood
08-16-2002, 05:15 AM
Oh, and don't say I should have said other... that's just insulting. That would lump my computer in with the likes of NES or atari 2600.

Rogue II
08-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by slaveblood
Oh, and don't say I should have said other... that's just insulting. That would lump my computer in with the likes of NES or atari 2600.

The poll does say CURRENT systems. I don't think NES or Atari are current...more like antiques.:D

What systems, other than Mac and the others listed in the poll, still have software being made for them?

Gameboy Advance
PS One
Any others?

bigbarada
08-17-2002, 08:17 PM
I say the N64!!:D

Actually, I picked the GameCube even though I don't own any of the systems. However, the sole reason in the universe (for me anyway) that video game systems even exist if for Legend of Zelda. So I will buy whatever system carries that game (natch, Nintendo systems). So it would be cool to have a couple of SW games to toy around with in between Zelda games.:)

Although I also plan to buy a PS2 for a couple of reasons: 1. it's DVD playback capability and 2. the LOTR:Two Towers game coming out this fall.

bigbarada
08-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by slaveblood
I refuse to vote because you didn't mention the Macintosh. Finally Lucasarts is getting stuff out for the Mac again.
And don't anybody start a PC/Mac flame war.
I am not trying to start ANYTHING, just stating my reason for not voting.

Cool, a Mac owner!! I've been thinking about getting an iMac for my next computer. I mostly plan to use it for graphics and animation, any recommendations?

Eternal Padawan
08-18-2002, 11:57 AM
HUNT THE WUMPUS!

How many hours did I waste on THAT one?

A lot. :D :D

Congratulations on 5000 posts Emperor Jar Jar.

ROLLO!

DarthMalus
08-18-2002, 09:52 PM
I voted for xbox because swg (starwars galaxies), Jedi outcast and alot of others are for xbox, ps2......has only 1 sw game coming for it.....gamecube has 1 sw game and is goin to have jango fett bounty hunter(+ps2) and pc always gets the good sw games plus xbox live will rule so thats what i say

Lord Malakite
08-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
No offense, but this poll is somewhat pointless. Of course we're going to vote for what system we have. Except for maybe the PC alot of us have a game console and a PC.

I kind of figured that would happen. ;) This poll was meant more for people who owned or played Star Wars games on multiple systems, but thats alright. :cool:

Originally posted by JediTricks
An interesting point. I personally would have liked a poll about which types of SW games we like most or would like to see more of (Flight Sim; FPS; RPG/Strategy; Racing; whatever, I dunno, I'm not that much a gamer :D) but it is interesting to see that the X-box, which is in 1 million less homes than the GC (which itself is in like 3 million less homes than the PS2) is coming in fairly high while PC, which we almost all own, is coming in lower... I'll assume that handful of "Other" votes are for the SNES/GBA or other semi-active game machines.

Actually, that was another poll idea I suggested to Tycho. :happy:

Tycho
08-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Lord Malakite's really helped me on some of the video gaming polls we're going to run. Expect to see more of his work in the future.

As we're first and foremost a Hasbro SW Collecting site, the video game polls will be staggered in every 3 polls or so on, while good topics like the ones JediTricks and Lord Malakite are talking about lend themselves to being interesting to our readers.

Again, we learned that about half of all the visitors coming to our site and voting, are into gaming.

I'd like to do some comics and book topic polls myself, but if that happens, it may be only occasionally, as it only would seem to interest 28% of our readers.

Topics besides Hasbro action figures that readers responded to include the movies, overwhelmingly, video games, collecting habits and ettiquette, merchandising items such as exclusives, conventions, and DVD's.

There's a poll suggestion thread in this section that I welcome all of you to add your ideas to. Please read what others have said before you, so you don't repeat someone. If the idea is good, chances are it will be done - as you'll notice that a good handful of your suggestions have already been realized in our previous polls section.

And thanks to Lord Malakite, JediTricks, and SirSteve for the support they've shown - and to you guys, the gamers, for your interest and participation.

Adam
08-20-2002, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Although I also plan to buy a PS2 for a couple of reasons: 1. it's DVD playback capability

Noo! Don't join the darkside! Import a Panasonic Q (gamecube with a dvd player!)

Plus, its really shiny!

c_richards
08-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Noo! Don't join the darkside! Import a Panasonic Q (gamecube with a dvd player!) Plus, its really shiny!

Adam-
Not to dis the Panasonic Q or for that fact you, but let's face it. Imports are MIGHTY expensive, and not many people have that type of cash laying around. True, the PS2 isn't cheap at $199.99, nor was it at $299.99, but I think since the price drop, it's becoming more managable for someone to drop $250 or so for a nice, decent quality system!

Besides...the PS2 isn't the dark side.... I'll save that for the Xbox. Sorry Microsoft supporters and Xbox gamers. I am still not convinced that a stripped 733MHz PIII "console" unit makes a great platform for games! So...it has DVD playback capability. Not unless you buy the remote separaely which is at least another 20 bucks!!!! PS2 plays DVD's right out of the box!

Secondly... the only saving grace Xbox has is Halo! The rest of the games look like filler to me! I'm not saying PS2 has never released a lame game.... but the quantity of good games for the PS2 far exceeds the good games for Xbox.

I'm sure someone will make a crack about the graphics not looking as clear or sharp as they do on Xbox....but that's simply because the game makers haven't pushed the Envelope far enough yet.

Please remember that the comments I make are my opinion and are not aimed at any one person!!!! Please do not be offended by my comments, as I am simply speaking my opinion! :)

Until the next time....
MTFBWY!!!!

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 12:28 PM

At least I think it is.. I'm so tired I'm suprised I rememberd what systems I DO have..

Edit: Oh! And I forgot Super Monkey Ball! You can't go wrong with monkeys!

Amen Nintendo brother!!!!!!! We are from the old skool, we grew up with Nintendo from day 1 cause it was the only real system out there at its time.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Heck yea, I remeber the old Commadore system with its own game cartridges and had its own version of PacMan where the Commadore symbol was the PACMAN. Oh...........I'm getting misty eyed nostalgic:cry: :D . I remeber my friend's dad had to type for 3 days in the program code "WORM OF BERMER" game which is the SNAKE game we have all come to know and love. Then you would have to wait 15 minutes for it to load off of the tape.

Rogue II
08-21-2002, 12:42 PM
Why can't the game manufacturers just release all of the Star Wars games on all platforms? Is it that hard to convert?

c_richards
08-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Why can't the game manufacturers just release all of the Star Wars games on all platforms? Is it that hard to convert?

I don't think it's an issue of whether the game is hard to port over to a specific system or not. I think the main core of the problem lies with the game makers trying to figure out what game will play, look, and "feel" the best on what platform! Also...money has a GREAT deal to do on it! Game Makers want to see how much a game will cost to make versus how much it will return on your investments!

Generally, most of the arcade ports are 99% dead on!

I'd love to have a port of SEGA's SW Trilogy Arcade....but as it stands now...it is only a passing dream!

If any of you are reminiscent of old machines.... remember the Amiga? How about Colleco-Vison or the Fairchild Channel F?

If you think tape drives are archaic.... try paper tape drives on Western Union 110 Baud Teletype dialed into a DECK PDP-8 mainframe! :)

Now... anyone else wanna walk down memory lane? :)

BTW - I got a friend that has a brand new Commador VIC 20 MIB!!!! Memory Expansion. Anyone looking to buy?

JediTricks
08-22-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Why can't the game manufacturers just release all of the Star Wars games on all platforms? Is it that hard to convert? They usually don't speak the same languages, so it can require a complete rewrite. Also, some companies just like writing for certain consoles. A major reason is that console companies want games to be exclusive to their console so people will buy that console to play that game.