PDA

View Full Version : 12" Star Wars figures - Great, but underrated collectibles...

DeadCanDance
08-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Ever since the 12" line started up again in 1996, I have been pumped for these 12" figures. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted all of the major charcters in 12" scale, but actually had very few. Then, with the resurgence of interest in all things Star Wars, not only do we get 12" figures of all the characters which were made in the vintage 12" line, but obscure characters like Grand Moff Tarkin, Death Star Gunner, Bib Fortuna, Greedo, etc. Very, very nice.

And when Hasbro couldn't find a way to mass-produce them, they created them as exclusives so that they would be made in some form - good stuff!

The only complaint I would have with these toys is that many of the exclusives were difficult to find, and that some of the human faces (early Lukes, Princess Leia, etc.) could look better. But the aliens and helmeted characters (Fett, Stormtrooper, etc.) for the most part are very cool.

Anyone else agree that 12" figures are some of the best SW collectibles out there?

derek
08-14-2002, 05:10 PM
the 12 inch line is all i'm collecting now, as i've grown tired of the endless resculpts and pre-posed gimmics of the 3 3/4 inch figures, but they could be way, way better than they have been. better articulated bodies, smaller, more in scale and better sculpted heads with better paint jobs would of really helped the line sell. just think how cool that death star trooper, a shelf warmer, could of been.

but hasbro appears to be making an effort to improve the details in their 12 inch collection. jango fett and count dooku are vast improvements over the previous product.

as for the exclusives, i've really had no problems finding them all.:)

as for the quality of what hasbro should be releasing, i direct you to Dragon, Blue box, or sideshow toys. these companies smoke hasbro in the quality department. if hasbro would make blue box quality star wars figures, everyone would be a 12 inch collector.:)

IG65
08-14-2002, 05:16 PM
I have to agree with Derek. The 12" costumes for the most part are great, but their bodies leave a lot to be desired. It does look like Hasbro is making strides in the right direction with Jango and Dooku.

Exhaust Port
08-14-2002, 09:16 PM
I've collected the 12" line until AOTC when I started picking up a couple of the 3.75" figures. The 12" line has come a long way over the years and it's getting better with each generation. Nothing looks cooler than shelves full of 12" SW figures. Those little figures are just too puny.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 05:35 AM
I really like the SW 12" line but there are 3 things that turn me off about it:

- oversized heads (it seems like 1/5th-scale heads on 1/6th-scale/12"-scale bodies)
- poor quality bodies (these 10-year-old GI Joe bodies that are super bulky and taper up to make them look even bigger and have terrible articulation just don't cut it for me)
- too few accessories (I love what accessories there are, but not only should there always be more, but now they're taking more and more accessories OUT!!!)

Personally, I'd like to see popular 12" figures ship for longer periods or ship in later waves. It's so frustrating to know if you miss the main shipment, you've really missed the boat!

N-2PF
08-15-2002, 07:18 AM
I really love the SW 12" line and there are 3 things that turn me on about it:

- right sized heads (all the other lines seem to minimize the headsize to imitate the McFarlane-style)
- very good quality bodies (these 10-year-old GI Joe bodies can change clothes with Ken and have all the articulation that I need)
- no useless accessories (I'd rather like to see Jango with Boba two pack instead of coming with all armour removed as accessories, four hands, two backpacks ...)

Personally, I'd like to see more different 12" figures ship in shorter periods. They have to be more waves to get all the figures that I want in the time that's left for the line. It's so frustrating to wait for Padme, while my daughter is growing up fast.

Sorry, JediTricks, I could not resist.

mini-rock
08-15-2002, 11:54 AM
The SW 12" line are the only figures I collect. I agree that some sculpts and bodies could be better, but IMO they are still some of the best figures made.

JediBoulton
08-15-2002, 01:06 PM
I have been collecting the 12" line since it started. I am quite impressed with the way things have turned out. I agree that the new Jango is the best figure Hasbro has put out to date. Articulation, accessories, appearence, correct head sclupt, have all been great. The only thing that I can see better if Hasbro move the line to a smaller scale (6" or so) then their might be more room to make some ships and fighters for these guys -- that would be SWEET -- a 6" luke with X-wing fighter, or even a Darth Vader with a Tie Fighter -- WOW.

I guess we will have to see...

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF
I really love the SW 12" line and there are 3 things that turn me on about it:

- right sized heads (all the other lines seem to minimize the headsize to imitate the McFarlane-style)
- very good quality bodies (these 10-year-old GI Joe bodies can change clothes with Ken and have all the articulation that I need)
- no useless accessories (I'd rather like to see Jango with Boba two pack instead of coming with all armour removed as accessories, four hands, two backpacks ...)

Personally, I'd like to see more different 12" figures ship in shorter periods. They have to be more waves to get all the figures that I want in the time that's left for the line. It's so frustrating to wait for Padme, while my daughter is growing up fast.

Sorry, JediTricks, I could not resist. Yeah, you jest, but when Hasbro comes reading this forum, they'll take YOUR post under advisement because it most closely follows how they feel. :D ;) :crazed:

JediBoulton, I've often wanted a 7" Star Wars line of super-articulated (but non-posed, neutral) figures with tons of accessories. I personally wouldn't want ALL the ships, just the major important ones.

TheFrankEinstein
08-15-2002, 11:53 PM
I'm addicted. I have been in the short time since I first noticed Tony DiTerlizzi's figure upgrades. But I can still see lots of room for improvement, as JediTricks said, more accessories, poseability (I just put Mace Windu's outfit on an Elite Force Bodybuilder and can't bring myself to change it back!), the works. The sculpting could use an overhaul in some cases, too. While Mr. DiTerlizzi's customs gave me renewed faith in Hasbro's sculpts, I just got the '95 Han Solo and it kinda knocked the wind out of my sails again. It may be harsh judging by such an old figure, but I could have sworn David Duchovny wasn't in A New Hope... ;)