PDA

View Full Version : Does the West Nile Virus scare you?



scruffziller
08-15-2002, 08:55 AM
I am not worried. FOr one Jesus is watching over me and I have faith everyday that I will be just fine. Also by factors it is very rare that you would die from it and very rare to catch it. The higher risk is if you are 50 and older. I am 22 years away from that age.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-15-2002, 08:59 AM
I'm not worried one bit. After all, winter is just around the corner.

scruffziller
08-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
I'm not worried one bit. After all, winter is just around the corner.

Yep I was just thinking that myself.:D
Info on West Nile Virus (http://http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/q&a.htm)

Here is some info to aleviate your fears.

Pendo
08-15-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm not worried about it :D.

PENDO!

scruffziller
08-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
I'm not worried about it :D.

PENDO!

You are in the UK aren't you Pendo? Doesn't the fog kill all those mosquitos?:D

Louisiana is the place where it is the worst.

Exhaust Port
08-15-2002, 09:40 AM
I can't live each day worried about some small chance that I might get bit by an infected bug. It's just another way the media has started a small panic over not much of anything just like the overblown Anthrax scare.

Nexu
08-15-2002, 11:39 AM
It's on my mind, but I am not afraid of it. It was recently found in my state, so it may become a concern.

QLD
08-15-2002, 11:50 AM
I am not too concerned. However, human nature dictates that we won't be until it directly affects us

Emperor Howdy
08-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Not really......I'm a landscaper. A friend to nature. I yield to insects when mowing a yard. I have an understanding with mosquitos. They know not to bite me. You do know animals talk in english when no one is around? The word on the streets is "He's cool...leave him alone". Sometimes spiders will give me a dirty look, but they know the rule. I remember one time I was trying to catch a baby Green snake. He turned around and struck at me. Suddenly, a tiny 10" van pulled up, two Praying Mantis' wearing sunglasses jumped out and grabbed him, threw him in the van, and drove away. I've never seen the snake since.

Nexu
08-15-2002, 12:00 PM
That's great. :D

Emperor Howdy
08-15-2002, 12:03 PM
........but nevertheless.....my mom called me a couple of weeks ago pleading that I saturate myself with insect repellent everyday before work. I told her not to worry.....then proceeded to tell her what I just told you. She started to cry and asked me where she went wrong...........

Jeeeez......moms......they're sooooooo weird!

jeddah
08-15-2002, 02:21 PM
Season your food strongly with garlic (not puddings tho') and you will not be bothered by mosquitoes anyway

jeddah
(something I learned in Burma)

Jargo
08-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Smoke cigarettes copiously, they hate the smoke and won't touch nicotine steeped skin.
They don't much like cheap cigars either but that's a style thing rather than a taste thing...
Wear a sprig of elderberry tree round your neck, they absolutely positively hate the smell of elderberry. But then - elderberry smells like poopy so I can't blame them really....... :happy:

hango fett
08-15-2002, 05:18 PM
i'm not worried....they said on the news that even if you are bitten by one that is infected, the odds of getting it is 1 out of 150. not good odds....
h

mabudonicus
08-15-2002, 07:23 PM
I'm fairly sure I got the virus... never went to get checked or anything... I spent enough time getting xrays etc this summer already.... I was pretty sick, but I'm fairly healthy (physically, at least:() it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't recommend it........
I am also young enough not to worry, only 29, but it does concern me a tad, the way things like diseases and invasive insects are spreading and all......

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-15-2002, 09:37 PM
They say most people our age who get infected feel little or no symptoms. I am not worried about it now, though if it is still a problem 30 years from now, I might be, because skeeters love the taste of me.

Now scabies, there's a bug I am worried about.

2-1B
08-16-2002, 03:40 AM
Not worried at all, but when I was a kid I lived in fear of Lyme (mmmm, lemon-lime mmmm) disease but that was overblown too.
West Nile has been found in 11 counties in my state, including the one directly north of here - and I spend a good amount of my free time there. :D
One positive aspect is that all of these cases in my state are animal related - so far no humans here have been identified as being infected. I hope that remains the case. :)

plasticfetish
08-16-2002, 03:41 AM
I'm not afraid ... it hasn't rained here in Southern California in what feels like 5 years. Besides, I just ordered 10 of THESE (http://www.mosquitomagnetdepot.com) and just to be safe, I always wear my special mosquito suit (http://store5.yimg.com/I/titlesports_1702_11049048.gif) outside.

Oh! Was this a serious question? Honestly, I'm still too terrified by the Hunta Virus and the Nation's Hepatitis infected blood supply to even think about a plague of infectious mosquitos.

Aww, cr*p ... now I thought about it ...
... I'm ordering 5 more Mosquito Magnets in the morning.

scruffziller
08-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by mabudon
I'm fairly sure I got the virus... never went to get checked or anything... I spent enough time getting xrays etc this summer already.... I was pretty sick, but I'm fairly healthy (physically, at least:() it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't recommend it........
I am also young enough not to worry, only 29, but it does concern me a tad, the way things like diseases and invasive insects are spreading and all......

If that's the case and you survived then you would be immune to it later on.

It is the carbon dioxide that we exhale that attracts mosquitos to humans.

InsaneJediGirl
08-16-2002, 08:58 AM
I'm not worried at all.Although a human case and many animal cases have happened in my county,I dont think its a cause for concern.Heck,my county doesnt even spray for the blood suckers.

IMHO,The "DEET" will kill you faster than the 'skeeters:D:D

darthvyn
08-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
I'm not afraid ... it hasn't rained here in Southern California in what feels like 5 years. Besides, I just ordered 10 of THESE (http://www.mosquitomagnetdepot.com) and just to be safe, I always wear my special mosquito suit (http://store5.yimg.com/I/titlesports_1702_11049048.gif) outside.

Oh! Was this a serious question? Honestly, I'm still too terrified by the Hunta Virus and the Nation's Hepatitis infected blood supply to even think about a plague of infectious mosquitos.

Aww, cr*p ... now I thought about it ...
... I'm ordering 5 more Mosquito Magnets in the morning.

after those 5 new mosmags, looks like you've got everything under control!!!:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Smoke cigarettes copiously, they hate the smoke and won't touch nicotine steeped skin.
They don't much like cheap cigars either but that's a style thing rather than a taste thing...


Hey Jargo, who's that guy next to you handing you that sackful of $? Could it be the Marlboro Man? ;)

I just found out it's been found in three horses and a crow in Colorado, the next state over from me. Since I have no equine or avian DNA I'm not going to sweat it.

Just on the safe side maybe I should drain that open ditch of stagnant water in my backyard...

LTBasker
08-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Nope not worried, entirely overhyped IMO if you're healthy enough. So I'm just staying inside cause I've really got nothing to do outside. Dunno if it's been reported anywhere in Oklahoma though but oh well.

Just do like one a guy on one commercial, drink loads of hotsauce and when they bite ya, they explode. ;)

robman71
08-16-2002, 11:53 AM
A question for thought. If the Nile runs from South to North, why is it call the West Nile Virus? Shouldn't it be more like the West Bank of the Nile virus?

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by robman71
A question for thought. If the Nile runs from South to North, why is it call the West Nile Virus? Shouldn't it be more like the West Bank of the Nile virus?

I'd definitely be more afraid of it if it were called the West Bank virus. I just think of all those Israeli and Palestinian mosquitos fighting it out to see which of them get to infect us.

jeddah
08-16-2002, 01:03 PM
At Luxor the West Bank is the site of the Valley of the Kings..... I have often wondered how many charmed Kings maanged to die in the same place.... I think we have our answer.:eek:

;)

jeddah

mabudonicus
08-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Yeah I think it's pretty much a smokescreen.... the poor air quality and total contamination of pretty much all of our groundwater is gonna kill a lot more people than some silly flu, and you don't see very many people freaking out about THAT..... *FFFFFFRRRRRAAAAASSSSSSSK*

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Just buy a bug zapper and watch the skeeters fry!

It's what I do every Saturday night. Sit on the porch, drink homemade moonshine and watch that thing all night. Beats paying $7.50 at the local cineplex.

(shuts down computer and grabs a jug)

Obi-Don
08-18-2002, 06:17 AM
I agree with most people here. If I spend my time worring about what might happen to me or what I might get. I will forget about living. It does pay to be carefull though.

scruffziller
08-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
Just buy a bug zapper and watch the skeeters fry!

It's what I do every Saturday night. Sit on the porch, drink homemade moonshine and watch that thing all night. Beats paying $7.50 at the local cineplex.

(shuts down computer and grabs a jug)

At work we have bug zappers planted throughout the store and it is always funny for some poor:evil: insect get caught and there will be a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal long zap (the longer the funnier). And we all say "GOTTTTTTTTT! HIMMMMMMMM!!!!"
One time a grasshopper got stuck in the wiring and he fried so long it stunk up the whole back recieving area.


Originally posted by Obi-Don
I agree with most people here. If I spend my time worring about what might happen to me or what I might get. I will forget about living. It does pay to be carefull though.

Yes we must all have balance in our lives.

mabudonicus
08-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Strangley enough, zappers generally kill harmless or semi beneficial, larger insects..... the skeeters don't get got by em as much as moths and other non-biting stuff, it would seem......
And they don't do nothing against the real nasty stuff, like horse and deerflies, and the dreaded blackfly, which until you've encountered one , you wouldn't believe the stories... and they travel in huge swarms.... and they're tiny... the actual damage caused by those little suckers bites is prolly worse than any flu... *shudders at the thought* MAN I hate's them little pests

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-18-2002, 10:01 PM
You are right mabudon about the zappers. They are good for frying moths and other harmless insects, but mosquitos and other pests don't seem to be dazzled by the light. I remember a local news story about bug zappers. The guy analyzed the contents of a zapper after a week's worth of use and 80% of what they killed were moths.

Apparently, those things are dangerous healthwise. They release a high amount of bacteria from the bugs after a zapping. Two reasons not to have them, I guess.

But talk about your high quality entertainment.

scruffziller
08-20-2002, 10:54 AM
THe unfortunate thing is that here in Iowa is that supposedly (I never new this, nor remembering by experience) is that mosquito season is just starting.......? I thought it was behind us.

plasticfetish
08-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
THe unfortunate thing is that here in Iowa is that supposedly (I never new this, nor remembering by experience) is that mosquito season is just starting.......? I thought it was behind us.

It should be plenty muggy and moist there right now huh?
(What part of Iowa are you from scruffziller? My family is from around Indianola.) I remember summers there and enjoying many many weeks of skeeter bites. It was OK though, because it took your mind off the deafening noise that the cicada made all day long.

:]

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish


It should be plenty muggy and moist there right now huh?
(What part of Iowa are you from scruffziller? My family is from around Indianola.) I remember summers there and enjoying many many weeks of skeeter bites. It was OK though, because it took your mind off the deafening noise that the cicada made all day long.

:]

Well actually I live in Indianola now. I am originally, originally from Ankeny but grew up most of my life about 5 miles NE of Lacona which is about 25 miles SE of Indianola. It was muggy this morning. Send me a message I might know who your family is. The moderator Jedi Clint is from Osceola.

plasticfetish
08-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Send me a message I might know who your family is.

You know the way it goes for me ... we're all going to end up being related or something ... I know both of those places pretty well. My grandparents (father, aunt and uncle) are all from Prole just up from Martensdale. It's too small a world ... hah. (I'll have to figure out how to work the PM thing now I suppose.)

So, no doubt if I made jokes about getting eaten by flies and mosquitos at Lake Aquabi you'd know what I'm talking about.

:]

Patient Zero
08-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Does it scare me? No, if I was going to worry about every little thing I would go mad. That is not to trivialize it, but I am going to live my life outside of the closet. I have almost died several times (drowning, plane crash, sever dehydration as an infant, etc.) and as far as actual diseases goes I have had Lymes twice. I refuse to live in fear of anything, even death. When I die, I die and that is that, but I refuse to stop living while waiting for death.