PDA

View Full Version : 25th anniversary tie fighter - happening or just B.S?

AmanaMatt
08-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Is there any truth to this, or just wishful thinking? Anyone know what the real deal is?

Beast
08-16-2002, 01:01 AM
There were rumors of it showing up as an exclusive this year. Turns out they were just rumors. Hasbro has said that nothing is in the works currently, but that they would like to do one. It just isn't in the cards for this year. I'm betting in the next year or two we will end up getting one, since they are running out of classic vehicles to offer as exclusives. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
08-16-2002, 01:11 PM
I've had people argue with me that a new Tie Fighter is definitely coming soon simply because they just redid the Xwing. That's obviously a ridiculous arguement because they already had the new Xwing mold; all they had to do was make some modifications. Creating a brand new Tie Fighter mold would take a lot more time and resources.

I still have my fingures crossed that we'll see a new Tie in 2003. It's obviously something a lot of us want and it's such an iconic ship, just like the Xwing, that even kids who have grown up mostly on the prequels will recognize it and want one. :)

AmanaMatt
08-16-2002, 02:32 PM
thanks for the info!

hango fett
08-16-2002, 05:06 PM
i hope so! that is about the only ship they haven't made! besides the death star I & II (from potj on.) also, i noticed that every vehicle that has been made in the POTJ line has been exclusive to somewhere! let's see................................the y-wing and b-wing (i think) were exclusive to target, the tie bomber and snowspeeder were exclusive to wal-mart, the tie interceptor and AT-AT w/ ewok & speeder bike were exclusives to TRU! they love exclusives at hasbro, apparently!
h

Beast
08-16-2002, 05:31 PM
It's not that Hasbro loves exclusives. I'm sure that if they could make everything available everywhere, they would. But if you recall the POTF2 line, remember that the shelves were flooded with vehicles. Especially the Falcon's, X-Wing's, TIE-Fighter's, and Landspeeder's, etc. And then after the problems with the Royal Starship, stores were very reluctant to actually order them. So it was a case of not making vehicles at all, or going with a more limited collectible approach, with exclusives.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

PloKoon2385
08-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Well, IF they do it, they'd better do it right. Not just some repaint! It should have proper sized wings. I would love to see one made!

JEDIpartner
08-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Yeah... the solar panels would HAVE to be to scale this time... otherwise there would be no point to reissuing it.

tagmac
08-19-2002, 02:42 PM
The problem with making the vehicles exclusive is that, in many cases, store employees and scalpers associate the word "exclusive" with "rare," immediately buying them all up to re-sell them at ridiculous prices, with no other store for people to look in. TRU wasn't a problem, and Target was an improvement with the B-Wing (over the Skiff and Y-wing). Unfortunately, Wal-Mart never seems to have exclusives in stock. All the Wal-Mart items I've gotten were on the secondary market. It could be that the one near me is crooked, but since the Cantina Showdown through to the TIE Bomber, I have yet to find one. And now that the FAO near me is gone, I doubt I'll ever get the Shuttle.

Honestly, I wish Hasbro would either stop making the vehicles exclusive, or else flood the specific stores with them to discourage scalping.