PDA

View Full Version : Catina Bar Sets - Fantastic!

TylerD
08-16-2002, 03:33 AM
I went to Wal-Mart earlier tonight at 11, and picked up all three sets. I think they are wonderful! Below are reviews for each set, as well as an "overall" review. BTW, does anyone else's Wal-Mart close at 11? Mine used to be open 24 hours, but I just found out tonight they haven't been open 24 hours for at least two years!

Momaw Nadon - "A+" - A wonderful figure that has a paint job that very much exceeds the POTF2 version. The figure also pivots at the waist, which is a nice unexpected feature. Basically the same sculpt, but still a better figure.

Greedo - "A" - This Greedo is great because he has articulated knees! Just like the POTJ version, but better I think. The skin tone is darker, as is the vest, which is more orange, instead of the salmony color of the last two figures. The only problem is his right hand. Hasbro molded it so that he could hold a cup, but the hole is too small. (His gun would fit fine, although he doesn't come with a gun.) Still a very nice figure though.

Ponda Boba - "A+" - Like Greedo, Ponda Boba has articulated knees, which allow him to sit at the bar (even though everyone stands at the bar in the movie). His vest is made of a more pliable plastic so that he can easily sit at the bar. His arm is really great. Hasbro made a good decision when they did not include a magnetic arm. Instead, the figures arm is affixed with the helpof a ball/socket joint. The way he is packaged makes him look like he has to go to the restroom, because his legs are crossed...LOL. Other than those new features, he is the same as the POTF2 version. BTW, when I lifted the flaps of his jacket, I found a shiny, oily substance...Glue perhaps? Anyone else find this?

Overall - "A+++" - Definitely worth picking up all three (I can't wait for the second assortment). These sets would be great in a diorama. The three counters fit together well, and each figure comes with 3 glasses, so you can give the extras to other cantina characters. The background scenes on the back of the card are nice also. BTW, it looks like Greedo is the short packed figure, because there were only two of him on the shelf...versus 4 of each of Momaw and Ponda. (They had just put the figures on the shelf.) Once again, these are great figures, and I enjoy them immensly!

The True Maul
08-16-2002, 11:15 AM
They sound great, can't wait to get them!!

pthfnder89
08-16-2002, 03:04 PM
I wasn't planning on getting any of these because I don't particularly like any of those characters. But if they're this good, I may have to change my mind. :)

El Chuxter
08-16-2002, 03:07 PM
I was going to wait until I saw them on the shelves, but they're definitely worth getting. Only drawback is the lack of a gun with Greedo and Ponda. Sure, it's another Greedo and Momaw, but you can always use extra aliens, right? :D

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 04:30 PM
It's too bad they couldn't have made some of the charachters that we don't HAVE YET. Well Djas Pur that was a good start.
And Ephant Mon coming soon for Jabbas palace!!!

jedihunter25
08-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Sounds good. But I probaly wont get them for a while. All the Wal-marts around me shortend the SW section which just consists of old figures that no one will buy unless they have a dollar sale. So I'm sure that they have them, but they have no room to put them out.

Darth Sidious
08-21-2002, 08:30 PM
They look and sound pretty cool, but I doubt that I will get these. I already have the figures, I don't want them again. But I will definitely get Kitik Keed'Kak and the others...If I find them, that is.

pthfnder89
08-22-2002, 12:38 PM
I saw the Ponda Baba set at Wal-Mart yesterday, but none of the others. I don't know, maybe it just didn't excite me or something, but I wasn't that impressed.

The articulated knees were a nice touch but I just thought the overall figure was really boring. I think I'm going to skip this entire set as I had originally planned; but I may pick up the new series since they'll actually be using new characters. :)

TylerD
08-22-2002, 08:10 PM
Hey guys....thanks for replying....I am glad to see your comments on the sets....I am still enjoying mine...Yeah, it really irks me that they didn't do new figures (Hem Dazon, Myo, TONNIKA SISTERS)....Kitik Keed'kak will be a breath of fresh air......

BTW, scruff, and pthfindr, LOVE those avatars!!! LOL.... What you talkin bout Willis???

AmanaMatt
08-25-2002, 12:45 AM
I saw these today and to me, they are just ok. I'd tell someone if you do not already own them, these would be perfect. Frankly, I have a customized Ponda Baba that looks better, IMO. Something about the knees do not look right. I will confess that I do like the paint job on Hammerhead, but it seems like the same old sculpt, sans the removable tunic.

Jedi Drew
08-25-2002, 11:25 PM
How much is the retail price on them??? They sound great!!!!!

Nexu
08-25-2002, 11:35 PM
$9.96

LusiferSam
08-31-2002, 12:00 AM
I'm glad somebody likes them. I didn't think they were anything special, just more figures.

Rogue II
08-31-2002, 09:20 PM
I just got all 3 of them. They are nice. I'm looking forward to the next 3 (Dr. Evazan, Wuher, and Kitik Keed'kak).

I noticed that if you open Greedo's vest, there is a black blaster mark on his chest. I thought that was pretty funny. I went back and checked the CTC Greedo, and sure enough, there is a blaster mark there, but it isn't painted black. I never noticed that before.