PDA

View Full Version : SSG Battle of the Machines FINALS! - Fight 1 of 2

Tycho
08-16-2002, 02:27 PM
You guys asked for it! - and you guys will hate me for it!

Tonight's Battle of the Machines fight is raw!

These are the FINALS and there's no such thing as "fair play" any more in the last 2 rounds which will determine which is the ultimate Hasbro Star Wars vehicle to ever see manufactured as a toy!

It had to happen: the champion of the lightweights is coming to do battle with the champion of the heaveyweights.

I won't pretend like I don't know the outcome, but our "bikergang friends" earned their right to this match....errr ummmm, this last moment in their history.

But the Battle of the Machines is always full of surprises and tonight may be no different as the speederbike takes on the Imperial AT-AT walker!

The AT-AT crushed the scoutwalker in a close match in which it only won by 174 - 15, or 92.6% of the votes. :rolleyes: Before that it narrowly defeated the Millennium Falcon 109-99 with 52% of 208 votes. With armor too strong for blasters, the towering Imperial Walker could probably carry over a half-dozen snowtrooper action figures into combat in its troop carrier section, while under the command of the exclusive packed-in AT-AT Driver and AT-AT Commander (as close as we've come to General Veers' proper figure) seated in the cockpit. From there they can command the fully poseable behemoth machine's 4 giant legs, jointed in three points of articulation on each. Covering them, are the remote operated chin guns that fire with the air-piercing sound effects and red "laser" flashes one would come to expect from the firepower of this war machine. But that's not all: side-mounted anti-aircraft cannons feature missle tubes with launching projectiles capable of descimating any Rebel defenses! A remote lever in the transport section controls the aiming and directional tracking of the metal beasts head, and a electronic, backlit communications and tactical station replays dialog from the movie, and features the bone-crunching thunder a walker's legs make in action, as well as the terror-striking sound of many needle-like barrages of the walker's smaller artillery cannons.

Up against it is the Speederbike. It's fast! It's puny! It falls apart at the touch of a button... The Aratech 74-Z Military Speeder Bike, which was featured in Return of the Jedi. This vehicle has been packed with every known movie pilot which today includes its standard pilot, the Imperial Scout Trooper, as well as Leia, Luke, and Ewok Scout Paploo. All of the pack-in figures are available in other venues (save for Paploo) be it a carded figure, or a Millennium Minted Coin box figure. Meanwhile, the speeder bike features a pivoting blaster cannon, braking flaps that operate remotely when the foot pedals are moved, and an explosive battle damage feature that causes the craft to blow apart when the camouflage jacket is pressed down on the rear of the craft.
The Speederbike defeated the Swoopbike 82-23 carrying 78% of the vote to its victory. It did similarly well against a Battledroid on a STAP in the Quarterfinals, where the Imperial Speederbike finished 135-35 carrying 79% of the vote (out of 170) for another perfect finish. Against Luke Skywalker's landspeeder, the speederbike sitll took 69.3% of the 153 votes, for a finishing score at 106 to 47.

While the AT-AT might be a behemoth of a toy / playset, and made it through some of the toughest matches, the speederbike ultimately had one of the best winning records out of all the Battle of the Machine's contestants.

-there's that, and the other Final Round making more sense that prompted this fight.

Well, uh....enjoy.

Choose your Champion: the AT-AT or the Speederbike!

Let's Fight!

stillakid
08-16-2002, 02:48 PM
This one is really a toss up. I like 'em both. However, I voted for the Speederbike. The AT AT is a fairly decent rendition of the movie version, but the Speedbike toy is a more accurate likeness. I also have more Speederbikes than AT AT's but that may be because of the huge price difference more than anything else. Like I said, it's a toss up, but the scales tip ever so slightly in favor of the bike. But, tomorrow's a new day...maybe I'll change my mind then. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 03:45 PM
Wow. I liken this battle to US vs. Grenada, Mike Tyson vs. Woody Allen, or Lakers vs. Pacers or Lakers vs. Sixers or Lakers vs. Nets. It's one of those things that you just have to sit back, chuckle at a bit, then put the hammer down and get back to real business.

AT-AT in 0.4 seconds.

I almost forgot that we're not on WWWF.

Let's examine more in depth then.

AT-AT has two figures, at least five or six different sound effects, space for a kajillion figures, two projectile guns, two moving guns with lights, a grappling gun, and of course mega-ball squashing action. If you were fortunate enough you got it for $10 at TRU.

The speederbike comes with a Biker Scout, Luke, or Leia and blows apart. Period. It also cost near $10.

My mistake. AT-AT in 0.2 seconds.

The True Maul
08-16-2002, 03:47 PM
I'd have to go with the AT-AT I didd't get it but I think it's better than the speederbike.:)

Sebulba524
08-16-2002, 03:57 PM
I have both of these, and personally, it's more fun havin a speeder bike than an AT-AT. The walker seems to have very tight joints in it's legs, and they always seem to be on the verge of breaking. The speeder bikes are more to scale, and were a hell of a lot cheaper. I preferred the figures with them too(the AT-AT commander doesn't look anything like General Veers and was poorly painted). I put my vote for the bikes.

Rogue II
08-16-2002, 04:00 PM
AT-AT all the way. I think I ended up spending more on all 3 Speederbikes(3x$10=$30) than I did the AT-AT($25). What can I say, the AT-AT is the superior vehicle all around, and it doesn't "explode" if you touch it wrong.

The AT-AT figures were much nicer than any of the speederbike figs. They look nice on the bikes, but they are goofy looking if you take them off. But, I guess we not here to discuss the figures....

Jon
08-16-2002, 05:23 PM
The AT-AT is the best toy, and should win this whole thing

Darth Marra 54
08-16-2002, 07:11 PM
AT- AT wins in 1:48 sec with after a combo of missiles and Lasers.
The speed of the bike kept it in the match up but had no answer for the heavy armor of the walker

NiktosRule
08-16-2002, 09:34 PM
I'm going with the Speeder Bike. I have many of them and enjoy playing with them while I could never afford an AT-AT and never saw them during the $20 sale or whatever. So the Speederbike wins by default but it would win anyway as I have a lot of fun playing with and I usually don't like the real big vehicles.

Jango 2
08-16-2002, 10:25 PM
yual saw what the at at did to the snow speeder so its gonna kick the s.b.'s *****!!!!!

JediTricks
08-16-2002, 11:42 PM
1) The AT-AT sold originally and mainly for $75, not these clearance prices, so I don't think that's a reasonable place to compare. By that token, I could point out that I've purchased 3 speederbikes for $3 on clearance, but so what?

2) Tycho, this is a quarterfinals matchup since there are 2 of these and the winners go on to a final match.

3) This one really seems like the person who created it was playing favorites - from the description to the picture, it is clear which one is "supposed" to win. So nyeah :P to you.

4) This poll has an awful lot of votes and views for its FIRST DAY... hmm...

5) I voted for the speederbike, I have more fun with it than I do the AT-AT. The legs on the AT-AT don't keep it upright all that much and it's not as accurate as the speederbike.

dr_evazan22
08-16-2002, 11:43 PM
AT-AT all the way!

Tycho
08-17-2002, 02:59 AM
In terms of what to call these matches, I hadn't a clue when I started so I termed them:

1) Preliminaries -32 contestants in 16 matches
2) Quarterfinals - 16 contestants in 8 matches
3) Semi-Finals - 8 contestants in 4 matches
4) Finals - 4 contestants in 2 matches
5) Championship 2 contestants in 1 last match

So I think that's right. In round 2, it was the 4th spot out from the championship, and it set up the first Quarter winners - for lack of knowing what to call a five round contest - the Quinta-Finals???

The 3rd round cut the numbers in half again (numbers going into the championship), so semi-finals seemed appropriate.

The 4th round gets it down to just about the last match. Not sure what else to call that, but promotionally, "Finals" sounds impressive.

The Championship or Title Match is self-explanatory for the last round, thus probably correctly named.

But while we're addressing complaints, I could add in about a book about this Friday night in my personal life...

But let's not go there...

So, back to the complaints about the BotM...

Price points in matches was not really a complaint directed against me. Sure the prices on these things have fluxuated, but in our other Finals match, both vehicles are a standard $24-29 and never clearanced lower than that price, or since both are still active items, aren't actually clearanced at all.

I point out that the more vehicles bought at the highest price point, the more Hasbro will make. Not that our budgets can always handle that, but I wanted up to 3 Jedi Starfighters and up to 3 Slave Ones. So far I've purchased 1 of each and plan on going for the exclusives with the figures next. However, I also might wait for clearance prices to get the last ones. But regardless, if everyone is doing that, Hasbro would look at sales and say "We can't make a Sith Infiltrator if all these guys want to pay for new vehicles is $5 bucks!"

Heck, I'd like about 2-4 more Pod Racers (vehicles) but doubt we'll see more than 1, if that. (but I can hope...)

AOTC should have better marketing - the wheeled droids, spiderwalkers, Republic mobile laser cannons, maybe if we're lucky the AT-TE, but things I want include the obscure and the under-appreciated, like the Gungan Submarine. I really want that.
Oh well...

As to fixing the poll (cheating, setting up the AT-AT to win, etc.) - it's no fun if someone cheats, even for the cheater. These contests are for fun, and somebody wasting their time trying to revote is seriously unhappy in the first place to be spending their time doing that.

As to me fixing the speederbike with a pre-determined victor, I didn't know that for a fact. However, I knew that I'd take some heat for setting this match up, but I have 2 space vehicles of equal size and price point in the other Finals match which you guys will REALLY appreciate so much that most of you will be pulling your hair trying to decide who to vote for (possibly). If the speederbike wins this match, it'd still have to face one of those space-attack crafts, so it might make little difference. The next match will be of a lot of interest! As should be the Championship!

Finally, I've figured out a system for us to have fair ranking matches if you guys want BotM to continue to rank the vehicles, or if you'd like me to set up a Beast Wars intead (now that the Acklay's out). There will be a poll about that in this section in about 2 weeks, once the BotM champion is decided.

NRPeace
08-17-2002, 10:19 AM
If the contest is for best vehicle, I have to go for the speeder bike. It was released with 4 different pilots, has a fun action feature, and is affordable. It's better in scale than the AT-AT, and it comes apart for easy storage. Affordability is the crucial factor: You can put together an army of these things for what it would cost you to get one AT-AT. What fun is a toy if you can't afford it?

Tycho
08-17-2002, 10:37 AM
BotM's is good for a few things, but one is talking about vehicles with real case examples.

NRPeace, are you saying you Do Not Want an AT-TE (the six-legged walker from AOTC?)

IF Hasbro made that thing from a completely new mold (it'd have to be, obviously), the Clones' Walker would cost upwards of $80 for them to make their margin on it.

They might be able to wholesale the things for $50 even, but there's no incentive for them to keep doing vehicles they don't make money on (large ones from new molds is what I'm talking about).

There's always the argument that the toy we're talking about will make you go out and buy more clone troopers to crew the thing (like the Republic Gunship), and they should sell vehicles at cost so they will sell more figures, but that hasn't been proven (or proven that it increases their margin enough).

Now I don't know how old of an audience I'm addressing out there right now, but you all do understand this, don't you?

So who would NOT want an AT-TE, or a Sandcrawler or Jabba's Sailbarge for that matter?

And who thinks we could have these toys, and for under $30? (or whatever you deem is affordable?)

My collection and fun with these toys would be severely curtailed if all I got were speederbikes and landspeeders with my largest vehicle being what? The Jedi Starfighter?

I'd pay anywhere between $80 to $150 for an AT-TE of good quality. And no, I can't afford it. But I'll find a way to if they put it out there.

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2002, 03:22 PM
Poppa voted for da Speederbike.

Why?

'cause it makes no difference....

bigbarada
08-17-2002, 08:03 PM
I voted for the AT-AT. After a few years all of my Speeder Bikes just started exploding whenever they darn well felt like it, which was really frustrating.

The AT-AT is one of the greatest toys in the history of the line.

Darth Tornado
08-18-2002, 12:15 PM
I voted for the AT-AT and I can see that the results are just what I thought they would be. Congrats AT-AT :crazed:

Pendo
08-18-2002, 12:18 PM
I've voted for the AT-AT, if I was a collector it would probably be my favourite. It's always been one of my favourites in the movies and also one of me fave toys :D. Come on At-AT!!! :D

PENDO!

Beast
08-18-2002, 12:26 PM
I also voted for the AT-AT. While the Speederbike is cheaper, and alot of fun, it just doesn't match up with how cool the AT-AT is. Lights, sounds, actual movie dialoge. The only thing lacking is the General Veers (AT-AT Commander) figure. We definatly need a new General Veers figure in the Saga line.

The one that comes with the AT-AT is pretty pathetic. He's not that well sculpted, especially his face. And he's also a giant, standing almost as tall as Saga Darth Vader. Give him removable armor and helmet, and toss in a mini holo Darth Vader and the AT-AT doubles in coolness. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
08-19-2002, 12:58 AM
I voted for the AT-AT. IMO it's no contest the speeder bike has no electronics, explodes at will, and is nowhere near as cool a toy as the AT-AT. Shoulda been the Falcon though. :(

jedi master sal
08-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
BotM's is good for a few things, but one is talking about vehicles with real case examples.

NRPeace, are you saying you Do Not Want an AT-TE (the six-legged walker from AOTC?)

IF Hasbro made that thing from a completely new mold (it'd have to be, obviously), the Clones' Walker would cost upwards of $80 for them to make their margin on it.

They might be able to wholesale the things for $50 even, but there's no incentive for them to keep doing vehicles they don't make money on (large ones from new molds is what I'm talking about).

There's always the argument that the toy we're talking about will make you go out and buy more clone troopers to crew the thing (like the Republic Gunship), and they should sell vehicles at cost so they will sell more figures, but that hasn't been proven (or proven that it increases their margin enough).

Now I don't know how old of an audience I'm addressing out there right now, but you all do understand this, don't you?

So who would NOT want an AT-TE, or a Sandcrawler or Jabba's Sailbarge for that matter?

And who thinks we could have these toys, and for under $30? (or whatever you deem is affordable?)

My collection and fun with these toys would be severely curtailed if all I got were speederbikes and landspeeders with my largest vehicle being what? The Jedi Starfighter?

I'd pay anywhere between $80 to $150 for an AT-TE of good quality. And no, I can't afford it. But I'll find a way to if they put it out there.

I couldn't agree with you more Tycho.

I desperately want an AT-TE. I expect to pay around $60-80 for it. I do hope that it has room for two pilot but I think that if they do it, it will only have room for one as well as maybe 2-4 in the "body" and one on the outside turret. I hope it's big but I highly doubt it will be to scale. It would be nearly as big as the AT-AT toy. Which reminds me [ I voted for the AT-AT ].

I've heard of others waiting for things to go down in price just to have them never released again and miss out on them. Rule of thumb: Buy one when you see, then if you want more and can wait, do it.

Back to the poll.....The AT-AT is by far superior. electronics, two pack-ins, BIG

this was no contest.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
1) The AT-AT sold originally and mainly for $75, not these clearance prices, so I don't think that's a reasonable place to compare. By that token, I could point out that I've purchased 3 speederbikes for $3 on clearance, but so what?

2) Tycho, this is a quarterfinals matchup since there are 2 of these and the winners go on to a final match.

3) This one really seems like the person who created it was playing favorites - from the description to the picture, it is clear which one is "supposed" to win. So nyeah :P to you.

4) This poll has an awful lot of votes and views for its FIRST DAY... hmm...

5) I voted for the speederbike, I have more fun with it than I do the AT-AT. The legs on the AT-AT don't keep it upright all that much and it's not as accurate as the speederbike.

JT, JT, JT. **shakes his head and laughs**

You have to admit that your post is pretty funny. You go on the defensive against biases for the AT-AT then vote for the speederbike. ;)

A last ditch effort to salvage some pride for the speederbike perhaps?

JediTricks
08-19-2002, 09:45 PM
ManCan, if it was last-ditch I'd simply edit the poll so the speederbike won. ;)

stillakid
08-19-2002, 10:16 PM
While I don't currently have a unlimited amount of funds, I'm more willing to spend a greater amount of money on an item if it a) looks significantly like what I saw in a movie, and b) if it also provides solid "play value." The Queen's Royal Starship is a good example of that. On the outside, it really looks like the ship in TPM and the inside is well conceived for the space involved.

Most of the ships made so far have been really good likenesses, in my opinion, and some of the resculpts have only made them better (ie, Slave I). I'd prefer that they start spending more time on accurate playsets, but that's another story.

sith_killer_99
08-21-2002, 06:54 PM
The AT-AT all the way. Lots of cool features PLUS 2 pack-ins.

I agree with Jar-Jar, the General Veers was lacking a bit. But it was still nice to have.

However, if they re-make Veers we GOTTA have a new Imperial Scanning Tech!:D

Runobot
08-22-2002, 09:54 PM
Darn, you know I love the speeder bike but I had to vote At-AT as I just looked at my shelf and asked myself, if you only could have one of them, which would it be? Well, really there is only one choice when you think of it that way...