PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Tenenbaums

TylerD
08-16-2002, 04:25 PM
I rented the movie about two weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it. The actors, the plot, and the music were awesome! But, EVERYONE I talk to says they hated it. What gives? Am I the only one who thought that this movie was brilliant? Did you guys like it?

2-1B
08-17-2002, 10:55 PM
I enjoyed it. :cool: Did you rent the Criterion DVD? I plan on getting it, I'm wondering what you thought of the extra features?

I don't know why people hate it, personally I like to just sit down and watched a mindless comedy flick from time to time. :)
But with Tenenbaums (and Rushmore while we're at it), I find myself really attached to the characters . . . I may not "LOL" as much, but they are much smarter comedies nonetheless. :)

Nexu
08-17-2002, 10:57 PM
I thought it sucked. It made no sense. Very stupid jokes were thrown in, and the book layout was dumb.
Edit: It was bad enough that we turned it off, and watched Kung Pow for the 5th or 6th time. THAT is a good movie. ;)

2-1B
08-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Kung Pow? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Well, that explains why you couldn't appreciate Tenenbaums. :D

Nexu
08-17-2002, 11:15 PM
:p

:D

scruffziller
08-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Yes the Royal Tenenbaums is for the uh..er "distinguished" film observer.

darthvyn
08-20-2002, 11:04 AM
i thought it was great. i also really enjoyed rushmore - i think wes anderson has one of the most unique film-making styles of anyone in america right now...

i also actually liked gwyneth paltrow in it! that's something right there!!!

kung-pow was pretty funny. i can't wait for the criterion!

icatch9
08-20-2002, 11:46 AM
The Tenenbaums was a wounderful movie. Very smart and flowed very well. It was brilliant. I never thought that Luke Wilson could write such a good movie (or was it Owen I allways get those two confused). The actors, the music, the book theme was terrific. I also loved the look of the house. Everything was so 70's. I'm not a retro guy, but I loved the retro look of the house that exists in present day. It gave a look of a family that was rich in the 70's and never evolved to current day. Wich is true in the movie and why it worked so well.

Not to insult any one at all, but this is a movie for people who like something more than slapstick comedy. It wasn't chalked full of poopoo jokes or non-stop sex jokes, but it was funny on a different scale. It was just a good movie that is hard to clasifi as a drama or comedy. That's why they invented the "dramatic comedy" term. Anyway definatly a great movie.

Can you guys clue me in. What is a Criterion DVD? I've seen a copy of a Criterion Edition Silence of the Lambs on Ebay for $30.00 why are these so expensive? How are they different? Is it just the features or what?

Patient Zero
08-20-2002, 11:55 AM
I just saw this last night and I have to say that I was plesantly surprised. Although a bit slow at points, it was definately worth renting.

billfremore
08-20-2002, 11:56 AM
This was one of the smartest comedies I've seen in quite a while.
It was heartwarming, wonderfully witty and clever in it's plot.

This one is definately worth viewing or owning if any of the above statements appeals to you.

darthvyn
08-20-2002, 01:18 PM
icatch9 - the criterion collection is a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements.

you can check out their website

criterionco.com

basically, they buy the rights to print a movie with their special features for a while, and then, as is the case with SOTL, they give up the rights. the criterion SOTL is no longer in print, as there was a new special edition of SOTL, so the criterion is sought after as a collectible and as a great dvd...

i'm still waiting for them to get the rights back for the adventures of baron munchausen... they only put that out on criterion laser disc!

icatch9
08-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Thanks! I'll have to check them out :D!!

Darth Vellner
08-20-2002, 10:52 PM
I LOVE it !! I saw it twice in theaters. And Bought it the day it came out!

Master Goeweins
08-20-2002, 11:51 PM
This was truly one of the better movies this past year... then again, any Wes Anderson movie would do that. I have heard Rushmore mentioned, but have any of you seen Wes' first movie Bottle Rocket? This move is flat out hysterical. I saw it years ago and bought it on VHS (before there was a DVD version) and watch it at least once a month ever since.
I can't wait until it gets a proper DVD version. The current one only has the movie and a trailer. Wes originally made a 16 minute short on the subject and then expanded it into the full length version. I would love to see the short film.
If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it.

"Kumar, what were you doing in the freezer?"
"I lost my touch man."
"Did you ever have a touch to lose?"

TylerD
08-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Wow guys, I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I haven't seen the Criterion DVD yet Caesar, but I will proabably see it soon. I am definitely going to buy the movie this week. My favorite pat of the movie is when they show the kids for the first time. Margot with her library, Chas with his "office," and Richie with his tennis racket tightener......LOL....

2-1B
08-21-2002, 01:32 AM
Bottle Rocket is pretty cool, I just bought that DVD ! I'd like a beefier version, but this will have to do for now.

Criterion had a version of This is Spinal Tap, man I wish that wasn't so expensive ! :cry:

TylerD, enjoy your Criterion Tenenbaums when you buy the DVD, because that's the only available version! :happy: I love the fact that it got such a wide release, I had to really scrounge around for my Criterion Rushmore DVD, but you can ONLY get Tenenbaums in the Criterion Collection. :happy: