PDA

View Full Version : New He-Man cartoon

El Chuxter
08-17-2002, 03:24 PM
So, what did everyone think? I've noticed JediTricks didn't like Orko, but I have to say, "Snarf! Snarf!" to that. Orko is, and always has been, the true hero of Eternia! :D

Overall, the show kicked butt! I liked how it was updated, but kept just enough of the old show for camp/nostalgia value. Like the voices--similar to the old series, but not as cheesy. Also nice was the way the cornier names were only mentioned in passing or not at all. And the vehicles were just vehicles; no more "I have to ride our new Dragon Walker, which is available in stores now, kids!"

Keldor/Skeletor was no longer a whiny old man with no face. He was one nasty customer!

I can even live with Cringer, since he doesn't whine like in the old show. The completely feline Cringer turned out to be pretty funny!

Can't wait for figures of Man-E-Faces, Whiplash, Clawful, Beast Man's griffins, Adam, Randor, and especially Sorceress. She looked freakin' incredible!

Was Tri-Clops blind without his little flying doodad?

And did anyone else catch that the little flying skateboards were straight out of the horrible live action movie? Bad movie, nice homage.

Bottom line: This was one awesome movie! I can't wait for the series!

Beast
08-17-2002, 03:37 PM
I thought it was excellent. Definatly alot less cheesy then the old series, with just enough cheese to throw a nod to the old fans. Orko was a tad irritating, but he always has been. Infact I think he was moreso in the old series. :)

It still seemed like they were advertising the toys in the cartoon, but I can deal with that. Atleast they weren't beating you over the head with stuff. The Battle Ram Chariot shown in shadows was a nice touch. Like you said, the flying discs were right out of the live action movie. Nice touch there guys. :)

Keldor/Skeletor kicked major arse. No longer is he just the wimpy ole wizard that casts spells and runs away at the slightest hint of trouble. He's a pretty good swordsman, and definatly a lot less of an idiot then the old series version. I'm a bit disapointed that they trashed his sword in the premiere movie though. Hopefully he will have it reforged. But I love how He-Man just punched Skeletor. You never would have saw that in the old series. :D

I do miss Cringer talking, but I can deal with it. They can always throw us old fans a bone later and have Orko or the Sorceress give him the power of speech. I can deal with the fact if they just leave him as a regular cat though.

That was a real nice touch of showing Man-E-Faces as not your typical warrior, but as an actor. Can't wait for a new figure of him and the rest of the main heroes and villans. I've read some complaints about Clawful's voice, but not every villian is supposed to be a genius. :p

Hey El Chuxter, did you notice during the Keldor attack that Trap Jaw is there, but he doesn't have the robotic arm or jaw yet. Hopefully they explore somemore of these charecters origins. I want to see what happened to him that caused the loss of his arm. They already said that we would see an episode where Meckaneck gets used to his new neck, so it looks like flashback episodes are a go. :)

I don't think Tri-Clops is blind withough his flying bird "Doomseeker". I do think that one of his eyes is connected to what it sees though. So he would have to rotate to a different eye, when the bird is out of commission. I beleive in the cartoon he rotated his eye, after the droid got trashed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-17-2002, 03:46 PM
I've never heard of this new He-Man until now. When is it on?

Beast
08-17-2002, 03:49 PM
The movie aired yesterday at 4 PM Est. on Cartoon Network. It's on again tonight at 7 PM Est. I believe. The series starts August 30th, but they are starting off with the premiere movie broken into 3 pieces for the first 3 weeks. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

THE Slayer
08-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Did anyone else notice the obscene amount of sword twirling? I didn't really think it was as annoying as it was funny.
Man-a arms body armor was pretty cool, how it adjust when needed, same with the new weapons.

Dar' Argol
08-17-2002, 06:48 PM
I saw it and was very impressed. It captured the feel of the old series with just enough "newness". I really loved the origin od Skeletor being show right away. And the updates on all the characters were great.

I never really new Greyskull was that large though:eek:. Mine never was that big:rolleyes:;):D

The only thinkg that really bothered me was Orko. After I saw the pics for his figure, he looked better. More like a teenager in design, then a goofy floating pepper shaker. But then I saw him in the cartoon and I was a little dissapointed. Why does he still have to be so cheesy???

And the fighting seemed a little, . . . . . . . Hollywood. It was definitly action packed, but I felt with all the jumps and spins and flips, that I was watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:rolleyes:. Oh well, a lot better then the cheesy fighting of the old series!!

Over all, I cannot wait for the new episodes to start!!! The only thing that blows is I think they are a once a week show:(. Oh well, at least the is a new series:D:D:D

BoShek
08-17-2002, 08:26 PM
I can tell already that the new cartoon will take a more serious look at the He-Man universe which I love.

I am very anxious for the return (or debut) of Fisto and Mossman!

I will be watching this show every week. Who would have though that The Masters of the Unvierse would be back on its 20th anniversery?

Obi-Don
08-18-2002, 07:26 AM
I haven't seen it yet. My son called and told me he loved it. Maybe I can check it out tonight.

QLD
08-18-2002, 09:23 AM
I am taping it today with Tivo, figured I would give it a whirl.

Exhaust Port
08-18-2002, 11:23 AM
I just finished watching it and boy I was suprised. I really wasn't that much of a fan of the original but this was very entertaining. Looks like I have another show to add to my rotation.

JON9000
08-18-2002, 11:30 AM
It's okay. I was hoping for a higher quality level of animation, Gundam Wing style. I liked the origin of Skeletor also, and I think it is good that he doesn't come off so goofy like in the old days.The Prince Adam as the "reluctant hero" was a bit cliche, and so was Teela as the "tough enough to play with the boys" heroine.

Oh well, I was hoping for something a little more mature, but it is definitely still aimed at the 7-12 crowd. Now that I think about it, thats pretty cool, I guess.

Beast
08-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Well, the animation was supposed to be in a quasi-anime style. You have to admit it was better then the animation of alot of current cartoons, like Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Edd, and Eddy. Or those other cartoons that are aimed at kids.

I don't see a probem with the reluctant hero story, it's realistic and has been a part of stories since the beginning. And it's nice to see that Teela is a strong rolemodel for today's girls. It's demeaning to see women portrayed as always needing a man to kick some arse. She's on par with Princess Leia as being a strong female.

It was more mature in my opinion then the old series. They could have toned the CTHD stuff back a little though. Unless they want people to start callling it, "Crouching He-Man and Hidden Skeletor". :D So I don't see a real problem with it. It could have been worse, could have been similar to the Live Action Movie. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
08-18-2002, 01:49 PM
I loved it. I thought the animation was good, the action sequences were good, and the way they set up the He-Man story was good. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it was like being a kid again, since I used to watch He-Man as a child. I am looking forward to the start of the series at the end of this month. I think it will be successful and will help usher in a new generation of He-Man fans.

JediTricks
08-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Woo hoo, I'm mentioned in this thread's 2nd sentence! Does that mean I am the first one to hate Orko? ;) Orko can pull it out his O-hole. :D

I thought Skeletor/Keldor *spoiler* (Randor's evil brother) had cool actions, but his voice sounded like Ethel Merman on crack. I also thought the look they gave him wasn't very good, the face was blank white and fairly "simple" artwork (not that I could do better, but I think they could have).

I didn't like Cringer having a tiny kittycat mew-voice instead of talking. Even a wimpy large cat would sound like a large cat, plus, Cringer should be whining. ;)

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The series starts August 30th, but they are starting off with the premiere movie broken into 3 pieces for the first 3 weeks.Yup, Aug 30th at 4pm Est/Pst followed directly by the first ep of Transformers: Armada.

I noticed Trap Jaw in the "20-years-earlier" sequence. I thought it was cool that they had it that way, gives him more of a "troubled bad guy" thing.

Originally posted by THE Slayer
Did anyone else notice the obscene amount of sword twirling? I didn't really think it was as annoying as it was funny.
I thought that considering the toys have no elbow articulation, there was a LOT of sword twirling. I wonder why they chose THAT style of fighting. It didn't bother me much either, but it was definitely noteworthy.

DA, I thought Grayskull was disappointing both inside and out. IMO, it looked sloppy from the 3/4 side angle and the interiors weren't cool at all IMO, nothing was really interesting compared to either Grayskull toy.

Originally posted by JON9000
It's okay. I was hoping for a higher quality level of animation, Gundam Wing style. I liked the origin of Skeletor also, and I think it is good that he doesn't come off so goofy like in the old days.The Prince Adam as the "reluctant hero" was a bit cliche, and so was Teela as the "tough enough to play with the boys" heroine.

Oh well, I was hoping for something a little more mature, but it is definitely still aimed at the 7-12 crowd. Now that I think about it, thats pretty cool, I guess. That is exactly how I felt about it! The look was good but you could see how they cut corners. The basics were cool but kiddified to a level barely old enough to play with the toys. I wanted a little more maturity, but it's what it is.

Some of my own thoughts ;) I thought it was weird to have the voices of Optimus Primal (Man-at-Arms) and Waspinator (Mer-man) from Beast Wars in this. They're SO similar that it gets hard to think of the characters as MOTU and not Transformers. :D

I like the 4 Horsemen's concept for the power sword WAY more than what they're calling He-man's Power Sword in this new series. Originally for this new line, Skeletor captured both sides of the power sword (which is why his figure comes with He-man's power sword half as well as his own) and He-man was given a new sword endowed with mystical powers to combat his lost sword (what the cartoon calls the power sword) and the powers Skeletor got with it.

AmanaMatt
08-18-2002, 04:41 PM
ah hell, I missed it; I was thinking there were just running commercials for the pilot - didn't realize the pilot itself was on!!!:frus: My own fault; I will catch this on 08/30 for sure, but the first episode broken into 3 parts over three weeks will be a little frustrating!

JON9000
08-19-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

I thought it was weird to have the voices of Optimus Primal (Man-at-Arms) and Waspinator (Mer-man) from Beast Wars in this. They're SO similar that it gets hard to think of the characters as MOTU and not Transformers. :D

Ha ha! I watched the box set of Transformers season one, and it is weird hearing Scatman Crothers, the voice of Hong Kong Fooey, doing Jazz. It was also funny listening to Casey Kasem doing the voice of the Teletran One and Dr. Arkevil rather than the weekly top 40. Kids won't notice, I guess, I never did back in the day.

JediTricks
08-19-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm still amazed at how well Kasem modulated his voice for "Shaggy" on Scooby Doo. :D

JON9000
08-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Man, Kasem was on almost every 70's and 80's cartoon. I know he was Robin on the Superfriends too. I'll bet he was on GI Joe, too, its just been too long since I've seen it.

Adam
08-20-2002, 06:19 PM
He-Man was pretty good, but THE best part of that hour was that Transformers commercial!

JediTricks
08-21-2002, 12:12 AM
My crappy cable provider overlayed their own ad over the TF:Armada commerical so I had to catch it days later. I liked the SW deluxe yoda commercial the best.

RooJay
08-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Transformers.:rolleyes:

Never have been a fan, probably never will be. That goes for both the toys AND the cartoon. That's not entirely true...I loved the movie! It always seemed to me that the movie was a serious and successful attempt to correct a lot of the crap from the series. Hope you guys can find plenty of enjoyment out of it though.

I always seem to miss the big premiers on Cartoon Network. I've done it with Samurai Jack, JLA, and now He-Man! Actually, I always have trouble finding those shows when the normally air! Every time it seems I've figured out when they come on, Cartoon Network moves them. Even when I have managed to acidentally catch them, it's always the same two or three episodes! I have the worst luck with these things! I can't wait 'til they start releasing each series' regular episodes on DVD!

Darth Nihilus
08-22-2002, 04:52 AM
Cool, I just read through this thread and not a single spoiler. Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail, I hope it's here before the weekend.

I had a look at the SDCC preview clips and some of the obvious anime influences were a bit off putting (such as Keldor jumping through the air in the Hall of Elders).

From what I have heard of Skeletor's voice, though underwhelming appears to be trying to catch the sound of someone who's vocal cords have been maimed.

...and I like the idea of a non-verbiose Cringer. Yes, Orko sounds ands acts as annoying as ever.

JediTricks
08-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Nihilus, Skeletor's voice just plain sucks IMO, it has nothing to do with him being scarred or a skeleton-head or anything of that nature, you'll see what I mean when you watch the ep.

RooJay
08-23-2002, 09:06 PM
I haven't heard his voice yet, but if they tried to capture the souof his voice from the original cartoon, I'm sure it sucks. It always sounded to me like the voice actor was just trying too hard, and the voice never seemed well thought out or well developed to me; he always seemed too comedic for my tastes, and not at all menacing as he should've sounded. Oh well, nothing is perfect!

DarthBrandon
08-23-2002, 09:15 PM
I watched the new He-man series the other night and I thought it was awesome, a little better than the original in my opinion. Good animation and way better action scenes than the first one. Skeletor kicked butt with his new look and all the characters looked a lot better than the first series. I'm looking forward to more episodes in the future.I would like to see some origins of some of the characters as well.:D

Beast
08-28-2002, 03:27 AM
Cartoon Network posted the Episode guide for the first season. I'll repost them here for anyone that is intrested. There are some minor spoilers and charecter's that haven't apperard in the series premire movie as of yet. Some intresting sounding episodes are in the pipe. :)

01. The Beginning, Part 1:
When Skeletor breaches the mystic wall and kidnaps his father, Prince Adam becomes He-Man for the very first time.

02. The Beginning, Part 2:
When Skeletor breaches the mystic wall and kidnaps his father, Prince Adam becomes He-Man for the very first time.

03. The Beginning, Part 3:

04. The Courage of Adam:
Prince Adam realizes that as long as evil exists on Eternia, he will be called to defend his home as He-Man.

05. Skywar:
Skeletor secretly investigates a war between two peaceful Eternian races in a plot to defeat He-man.

06. The Deep End:
He-Man must save Man-At-Arms from the belly of a sea beast threatening Castle Grayskull.

07. Lessons:
When Skeletor acquires the Ram Stone, orko must save the day.

08. The Siren's Song:
Ram-Man is hypnotized by a beautiful Siren who plots to destroy the Masters.

09. The Ties That Bind:
Teela becomes curious about her past when she develops temporary telepathic powers.

10. Dragon's Brood:
Massive fire-breathing dragons threaten Eternia and Castle Grayskull.

11. Turnabout:
Skeletor is punished by a magical belt that prevents him from being evil.

12. Mekanek's Lament:
While trying to acquire better powers, Mekanek unwittingly sets a dangerous villain free.

13. Night of the Shadow Beasts:
Skeletor unleashes fierce nocturnal creatures to destroy Castle Grayskull.

14. Underworld:
In Subternia, He-Man and King Randor must prevent Skeletor from attacking Castle Grayskull from below.

15. The Monster Within:
He-Man and Man-E-Faces battle dangerous bounty hunters in the Tar Swamp.

16. The Mystery of Anwat Gar:
He-man and Man-At-Arms journey to a mysterious island to prevent Skeletor from getting his hands on powerful ancient stones.

17. The Roboto Gambit:
A simple chess-playing robot helps the Masters battle an evil army of skeletons.

18. Trust:
Stratos must form an uneasy alliance with Trap-Jaw to survive the perilous Ice Mountains.

19. Orko's Garden:
Orko unwittingly helps the villainous plant-like Evilseed take all of the Masters hostage.

20. Buzz-Off's Pride:
Buzz-Off must battle vicious giants in order to defend both a peaceful village and his pride.

21. Snake Pit:
The Masters enlist the help of the mysterious Zodac to prevent the Snake Men from escaping their ancient prison.

22. The Island:
While visiting his mentor on a remote island, Man-At-Arms is captured by evil crab-like creatures.

23. The Sweet Smell of Victory:
When a low-level crook tries to join Skeletor, an accident mutates him into a new super-villain intent on destroying the Masters.

24. Separation:
He-Man must return three mystical objects to the far corners of Eternia to prevent the destruction of the entire planet.

25. Council of Evil, Part 1:
The members of Skeletor's newly formed Council of Evil are capturing the Masters one by one.

26. Council of Evil, Part 2:
It's up to Adam to stop the forces of evil that plague Eternia-- without his Power Sword.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The True Maul
08-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks JarJar for posting the episodes they sound good!! :)

QLD
08-28-2002, 09:43 AM
I finally watched this the other day. It was better than I thought it would be. I had slight problems with it, but nothing that would keep me from watching it.

El Chuxter
08-28-2002, 01:09 PM
So at least Zodac, Buzz-Off, Roboto, and one other villain will appear. Sweet! And two episodes with Orko in a major role!!

Darth Nihilus
08-28-2002, 01:34 PM
My guess is Webstor is the focus of 'The Sweet Smell of Success', though others have guessed Stinkor, which would tie in with the title.

JT - I think you're gonna throw your hands up in despair and I know I am definitely in the minority here, but I actually like the VO work on Skeletor. I thought it sounded more menacing when it was meant to be menacing, I just didn't feel that with Oppenheimer's portrayal that there was much range he could achieve with his nasally delivery.

Cam Clarke as Adam/He-Man was fantastic. There were times I thought they had snuck in John Erwin to voice He-Man as the imitation was pretty close.

If I had one major gripe is the art on the female characters, they all look like thirteen year old schoolgirls. Marlena looked more like Adam's little sister than his mother. Same with the Sorceress, she just didn't exude a wordly air through that babyface. Evil-Lyn is the only one that came across as being 'older'.

And Orko still needs to die a needlessly horrible death.

thespar
08-28-2002, 03:13 PM
i sure hope they are not only going to play them on friday i would like to see more of the new he-man. it is the first of the redone of 80 toons that i have really like.

RooJay
08-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
My guess is Webstor is the focus of 'The Sweet Smell of Success', though others have guessed Stinkor, which would tie in with the title.

What makes you think that? Not that I'm so certain that you're wrong, but to me the title just seems to very obviously indicate that we'll be seeing the origin of Stinkor. Either way, I'm sure it'll be cool; Webstor was always one of my favorites! I've always much preferred him over Gary Coleman.

...was that the most obvious/ lame joke in the world or what? I crack me up!:D

RooJay
08-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know if Cartoon Network is going to rerun the pilot movie again before the series premier (and yes, I already know that that the first three episodes are actually the movie divided into thirds!)? I mean before that.

Beast
08-28-2002, 09:41 PM
I don't think so RooJay. They showed the movie three times, and that was the last time it was shown. They are splitting into the 3 part Season Premire now. Sorry my friend. :(

And yes, I believe it's also Stinkor. It makes sense, because he never occured in the original series, but the 4H crew said they would love to do a new version of the figure. By including him in the show, they can. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-28-2002, 11:22 PM
3 TIMES?!! 3 times?! I missed it everytime?! Why do I seemed destined to never see any of Cartoon Network's cool original programming?!!:cry:

Darth Nihilus
08-29-2002, 08:59 AM
I guess Webstor because the Episode blurb states that a low-level thief becomes mutated and threatens the Masters. Webstor was designed as a thief (Master of escape) and the reps at SDCC foreshadowed the appearance of a spider guy.

JediTricks
08-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Nihilus, I'm not going to throw my hands up in dispair, I just won't agree with you on this subject and that'll be OK because not everybody can agree on everything. Maybe it'll grow on me with future viewings, but I kinda doubt it.

RooJay
09-04-2002, 10:07 PM
I'm holding still planning on holding my breath that it's gonna be Stinkor. Get it? Holding my breath! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I crack me up! But seriously, a crook and a thief aren't exactly the same thing; there are slightly different meanings for both those words. Besides, where was it said that Webstor was ever a thief? Did it actually say that he was a "Master of escape"? That's got practically nothing to do with thievin'. I'm not challenging you here; just stating my opinion. Like I said, I'm willing to bet that this episode is Stinkor's story; although, I'm sure it won't be lon at all until we see Webstor since it has been stated that he will be showing up.