PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul's backstory

TheFrankEinstein
08-17-2002, 05:07 PM
I was just playing Jedi Power Battles and thinking what a cool character Maul is, but mourning the fact that in TPM he got no depth or backstory like Darth Vader (like the rest of the characters in TPM). So is there anything worth mentioning, in the EU, that gives Maul a little meat? Maybe deepens the character a little, gives a backstory as to why he's so vicious? I understand there's a children's book and a comic series, but haven't heard if these are a waste of time or not (and I might feel a little more silly reading a kids' book, but will if it strengthens Maul's character).

Darth Evil
08-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Get the Darth Maul graphic novel and the Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter novel. I've got these two and they're both enjoyable reads. In the Shadow Hunter paperback, there's extra short story called Saboteur too, also about Maul. This was previously an e-book. I've never read the children's book, so I don't know about that, sorry.

TheFrankEinstein
08-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Cool, thanks Darth Evil. I'll check 'em out.

El Chuxter
08-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Definitely pick up the kid's book (Episode I Journal: Darth Maul) if you want backstory. It gives some tidbits of origin, but not too much, and fills in some "background" to TPM (like Maul's fight with Tuskens on Tatooine). Essential reading if you like Darth Maul!

Darth Evil
08-19-2002, 03:04 PM
I've never seen the kid's book, but if I do, I'll buy it.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2002, 12:24 PM
As long as you suspend belief that Maul would keep an ongoing journal, the DM Journal book is excellent! His home planet name (I forget), Sidious training him with a lightsaber, the Tusken Raider fight (explains his first quick duel with Qui-Gon), etc. It's worth it, and it's cheap too! ;)

icatch9
08-20-2002, 12:33 PM
I can't help on either book. I have shadow hunter but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Anyway, I just wanted to say that Jedi Power Battles was a super fun game. I beat it a while ago (when it came out), but it's still fun to play. Playing with Darth Maul is cool too :evil:! I'm pretty good with everyone but Plo Koon (he's so slow). I hope that they come out with a Attack of the Clones adaptaion of Jedi Power Battles. That would be cool for PS2 :D.

Sorry to get off topic.

Darth Evil
08-20-2002, 02:52 PM
I always wanted to see a Masters of the Teras Kasi style game with characters from both Trilogies. We don't need a storyline in such a game. To stay on topic, the idea of Sidious using a lightsaber is a very interesting one, I hope I see that book some day.

TheFrankEinstein
08-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Wow, I just got Star Wars Tales vol. 1 TPB (it didn't impress me), it looks like I should have spent my Star Wars book money on something else. Thanks for all the tips, guys.

Oh, and icatch9, I agree that Jedi Power Battles was pretty doggone cool. I too would like to see an Episode 2 version, or even one with characters from both trilogies, updated with modern graphics. Too bad we seem to be the only supporters of the game, huh?

thespar
08-20-2002, 11:17 PM
i enjoyed reading both Shadow Hunter and Gaphic novel. As far as the power battles i would like to play if i can find a copy.

Darth Evil
08-21-2002, 03:14 PM
I've never actually played Power Battles, it's really cheap in a shop near me. I might get it.
Is SW Tales bad? It's so expensive, I thought it looked good!

TheFrankEinstein
08-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Darth Evil, I'm not sure if my judgement of Star Wars Tales Vol. 1 would be valid or not, seeing as I'm not really a fan of EU stuff. Sorry. There are a couple of nicely-drawn (one may have been painted) Darth Vader stories, but they really weren't enough to redeem the purchase for me.

Janzeke Khan
08-23-2002, 04:41 PM
There just a bunch of storys in one issue. like the one I bought (Cause the Cover was cool) had a little story about C-3PO saving a supply ship from prites (cool) A story of Vilmarh Grahrk (pretty cool), one of Han telling Anakin a bed time story "The Hand of Luke Sykwalker." (Funny, Goofy crudd) and some other stuff they where all short. If you buy Comics ofthen then SW tales is something to pick up if no other comic comes out that month.

Tycho
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I took this shot of my figures set up to show how Darth Maul eliminated much of Black Sun at the time just prior to The Phantom Menace, so that the Trade Federation could arm themselves and have droids to blockade Naboo versus having to deal with spending protection money on Black Sun who'd organized much of the pirates that plagued them.

The idea was that the Republic would raise taxes "the taxation of trade routes is in dispute..." in order to build a Republic military up, OR the Trade Federation would legally be allowed to purchase and patrol their shipments with tons of battle droids and droid fighters.

Palpatine probably originally encouraged Black Sun to pray on Nute Gunray's organization. He then appeared as Darth Sidous to Gunray, and told him that he'd make the TF legally profitable beyond Gunray's wildest dreams in order for his cooperation. He said they'd get an army - they did. He said the Senate would allow it - they did. He said they'd have profits - they did. By having Black Sun frighten the Trade Federation into arming, and by having Maul then betray Black Sun (who had no idea they were working for the Sith Lords anyway), Palpatine orchestrated his ascension for "a strong sympathy vote. I will be chancellor."

He also paved the way for arguments suggesting that the Republic should have an army - something he wanted and got in Episode 2.

Anyway, Black Sun had their best assassins and warriors face off against Darth Maul - but they were no match for a SITH!