PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a dog?

KIDD
08-17-2002, 11:03 PM
here is a picture of my best friend:D

LTBasker
08-17-2002, 11:09 PM
I've got a half-dalmation half-black lab and when we got her, she could literally just sit in the palm of your hand, and now she's HUGE. I'll try to post a picture of her sometime..

bigbarada
08-17-2002, 11:11 PM
Since it is a moderator's job, not mine to tell you that this thread belongs in the General Discussions section, then I won't mention it. And since it is a moderator's job to move it to said General Discussions section, I won't say anything about that either.;)

Anyways, here's my coy dog, Sandy. ("coy dog" because she is half coyote, half chow)

Exhaust Port
08-17-2002, 11:21 PM
Are these part of the Saga line now? :D

Nexu
08-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Used to have one, had to put her to sleep about a year ago, I guess.

bigbarada
08-17-2002, 11:24 PM
Dar'Argol needs to get on the ball and move this thread so that we won't feel so silly posting in such a blatantly misplaced thread. But hey, I just happened to have pics of my dog on my computer and I was looking for a reason to use them.:)

Nexu
08-17-2002, 11:28 PM
LoL, true.

2-1B
08-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Dogs
Rule

:cool: :cool: :cool:

We've got a few, I absolutely adore them. :happy:

Nexu, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog. :(
We had to do the same 4 months ago, it's still very painful. :cry:

Great pics KIDD and B ! :)

Nexu
08-17-2002, 11:36 PM
Yes, it is. It's amazing how used to them you get. Like holdng doors open for them, and such.
Kind of a funny story: When my dog was around, she would always go to bed from 8-9:00, and would lay her head on the floor, sticking out of my parent's doorway, where I had to walk by, to get to my room to go to bed. For a while (until I got used to the idea of her being there ;) ) I would forget she was there, and kick her right in the side of the head, and almost trip and fall. It didn't hurt her at all, and she wagged her tail about it. ANYWAAAAY..... for about 6 months afterward, I would swerve all the way to the left to avoid kicking her upside the head. :(

LTBasker
08-17-2002, 11:36 PM
I had a dog that was born in the same week I was, unfortunately a couple years ago we had to put him to sleep cause he was getting too old and he started having seizures...

Lord Tenebrous
08-18-2002, 12:08 AM
I'm thinking about getting either a Pug or a Beagle, or maybe a Boston Terrier, definately something on the small side. But not for a few more years.

I had a dalmation for about 10 years. Our last interaction wasn't a pleasant one, me checking him for ticks, then a quick flash as I pushed back, and a deep snarling as his teeth tore at my ear...

Took me a good year to touch another dog, and they're still mostly small ones. They have small mouths.

rynobot
08-18-2002, 12:22 AM
I have a dog and his name is Wicket, cause he looks like an Ewok. :)

PloKoon2385
08-18-2002, 12:34 AM
I have a pug named Otis. Named after the pug in Milo and Otis. I wanted to name him Yoda or Wicket, but mother wouldn't have it.....

PloKoon2385
08-18-2002, 12:37 AM
Lord Tenenbrous, I highly suggest you get a pug. They are like no other dog. They have such a funny personality. You can't help but love a pug. And they love you so much. If you have any questions, ask me!

cybersith
08-18-2002, 06:44 AM
i got a black lab named maolly who seema=s to like my star wars figures. she already got bossk and prince xior! o weel a few years ago she got hit by a car running in the road for a sock:rolleyes: but luckily she was fine although for a few minutes she had symtoms of internal blkeading but the vet couild find anyhtin:cool: soooooo now i just goota watch out for jango she has a hankerin for him:D
sorry for all you guys who had tpo put your dogs down.

manji
08-18-2002, 07:09 AM
Everyone knows that cats are better pets!:Pirate: :D

DeadEye
08-18-2002, 08:48 AM
I have a dog. Her name is Lily. She's mostly black lab but has some boxer and bloodhound in her. She's rather gorgeous and extremely intelligent--in fact, she's smarter than most humans I know--but her only problem is, she bites. She's a biter. She's so fierce that I have bite marks on my arms from February that are still there!

The True Maul
08-18-2002, 09:01 AM
I have a black lab named Holly, I named her Holly because it was around christmas when we got her.:)

Darth forb1us
08-18-2002, 12:40 PM
dogs rock :D

back home my folks have 2 cocker spaniels, amber and stimey (had 2 more but they passed on, from heat stroke :( - dusty and maggie RIP :(
also have a Pitbull - Miranda

my girlfriend has 2 dogs back home, Sheetzu's. (cant spell the real way, because it changes it to crapzu LOL) Tags and Ewok (looks just like Wicket) :D :D

we'll get dogs of our own eventuall, for now its just 2 cats :frus: frodo (lotr) and baroness (gi joe) :p lmao

Dar' Argol
08-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Dar'Argol needs to get on the ball and move this thread so that we won't feel so silly posting in such a blatantly misplaced thread. But hey, I just happened to have pics of my dog on my computer and I was looking for a reason to use them.:)

Sheesh! Can't a guy get some sleep??:rolleyes: :D
K, its been moved to General:D

Pendo
08-18-2002, 01:24 PM
I killed them, I killed them all! Every last one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the puppys too. They're like animals, and I slaughterd them like animals. I HATE THEM!!!:mad:

:D I really HATE dogs, I'm more of a cat person but I hate ALL animals. I don't really kill them though so don't worry :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

SWAFMAN
08-18-2002, 02:01 PM
I had a (mostly) golden retriever named Ace. He was cool. When my 2nd son was an infant, we went to a park and had him on a blanket. Another dog came over, and Ace - who was the gentlest dog I've ever know - turned into the fiercest, most threatening animal I've ever seen. His fangs were bared, saliva flowing, growling & barking, and generally letting that other dog know that Ace would fight to the death to prevent any harm to my son.
I'd always loved Ace, but from that moment on, he was in a most special part of my heart. He's not with us any more. :(

JetsAndHeels
08-18-2002, 02:15 PM
My parents have a small chihuahua/terrier named Suzy. She is black with a few white patches on her. I consider her mine too since I come and see my parents alot. She is a sweet and loving dog until someone she does not know walks by the house or rings the doorbell. That is when she is a real terror. She actually drew blood on one of my parents' nextdoor neighbors. She truly is an example of a small dog with a big attitude.

jjreason
08-18-2002, 04:32 PM
My dog's name is Woody, he's 1/2 beagle 1/2 bassett hound. We've had him since just after we got married in 95, when he was a pup. He just had his 7th birthday, and according to the vet may live until he's 15 (!!) based on his current condition! Mixed breed dogs kick butt.

Im also involved in the beginnings of training to become a dog handler at work, and would love to see that goal come to fruition one day.

CANINES!

Jargo
08-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Weeeeeeeeell, I did have Ramsey, a pure black Labrador retriever pedigree crossbreed and then I had Venny, a golden Retriever pedigree. I now have a pedigree black labrador called Buster. 3 years old. Started out life as a guide dog for the blind puppy and me and my partner dd the early training with him - house training, basic commands, walking on a leash, behaving in public places and on public transport - that sort of thing. After a year with us he went back to the main training center and spent a year failing everything because he liked it too much back at our place and just sat waiting for us to come get him. Turned out he also has arthritis of the elbows and a food intolerence. So we got a call just after his final 'school' exam and we went and picked him up and now he's happy as larry in the land of milk and honey. Well he thinks it is anyway. Best friend I ever had. With him being a trained working dog he's much smarter than most dogs and his vocabulary is extensive. We have to spell things out around him because he understands so much and just goes off and does stuff like bringing the vaccuum cleaner hose to us if we mention needing to do the vaccuuming or something. If I'm ill at all (which I have been quite a lot lately) he just sits in the doorway of my room and waits like a nurse, if i move at all he comes over and checks to see if I'm okay. If i don't move then neither does he, just lies with me all day until i recover enough to get up out of bed.

He never barks or whines but he does talk to me. He's got a sort of gutteral muttering thing going on if i ask him a question he'll answer with a grumbling grunt or series of them like he's desperately trying to articulate a word. Too long being in a human world as a working dog i think. He's really protective though, Wouldn't harm a fly and loves to run around with kids and play soccer, fantastic as a winger :) but should anyone threaten me in any way and he stands between me and the other person, hackles rise and he stands ready to protect at any cost. One word from me and the other person would be chump steak.

As far as small dogs go, don't bother. They have nasty temperaments and are more likely to harm you than a larger dog like a retriever or a Labrador which are bred to be placid. Small dogs are much nastier than bull mastiffs or rottweillers or doberman pincers. Small dogs feel threatened permanently and will go for anything that even smells wrong. I'd go for something slightly larger than a pug or a terrier and get a calmer dog like a cocker spaniel. Also have your dog spayed or neutered at the earliest opportunity once they've had their first season or reached one year old. It'll save a lot of hassle and aggro.

And don't overfeed them on over rich petfoods. The pet food industry puts far too much additives into these pre-prepared foods for dogs. it messes up their insides and makes them grumpy and unpredictable. Buster is on a light diet of dried meal containing fish and tapioca. It smells really badly of fish but he's so calm and placid because of it. No additives in that stuff to get him hyper.

Too many people treat dogs like a freaky zoo exhibit or some kind of posession. A dog is a thinking living breathing hug machine capable of making informed choices based on what it knows of the world about it. Dogs are companions and friends and protectors. If you think like a dog and behave as a pack the dog will feel included and be happier for it. Shutting a dog outside is against the pack instinct and a dog will suffer psychological problems because it feels unwanted and shunned from the pack. Conversely, never let a dog get the upper hand by allowing him to take a prime position in the household. Allowing a dog to sit on chairs or sleep on beds makes the dog feel superior or equal to the owner. A dog needs to know that he has a place in the pecking order just below that of the owner. Instability in the chain of commands will lead a dog to feel insecure. Insecurity in a dog is what leads to aggrssive or problematic behaviour.

Buster's website (http://website.lineone.net/~buster-dog/dogpile.index.html)

thespar
08-18-2002, 10:25 PM
i have 5 dogs 3 are pankiees the other two are scotties. What to name the new scottie chewie.

bigbarada
08-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Hey Jargo, Buster's Photo Gallery isn't working.:(

Great advice on dogs though, most people treat their dogs like they are property and just a "dumb animal." Then you get those worthless excuses for humanity who see animals as simply a free license to take out all their aggressive tendencies. You can tell a person's true character by how they regard and treat animals. If they gleefully and mercilessly kill animals for no reason, then they have some serious mental problems and are more likely to abuse their children, if they ever have any.

Me, I tend to relate to animals, especially dogs, much more than people. Dogs are loyal, protective, loving and people are just bastards.

I've actually learned a few things about communicating with a dog through body language. Holding your hand out, palm facing down, is a gesture of friendship (or non-aggressiveness, either way, it's a good way to make peace with a dog). Also, when a dog bares his/her stomach, it is a gesture of trust and submission (that or they just want you to scratch their tummy). One way to gain a dog's respect is to demonstrate your ability to throw things. Dogs can't throw (obviously) and if you show them that you can make contact with them from a distance, they will respect you. Don't peg them with a rock for no reason, mind you, just get a soft object and toss it so that it makes contact (non-painfully) with the dog. They will know then that you have a level of power above them and you willingly hold back that power to prevent from hurting them. It's the best way to gain the respect of a chronically disobedient dog (a dog won't obey you if it can't respect you).

Nexu
08-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Yes, it's amazing what dogs will do for their owners. Cats could more or less care less, but dogs are more loyal than most people are. All a cat wants is a warm place in the sun, and food, but dogs starve for attention.
Deadeye, what's the point of having an animal around that's always nasty? I don't understand.

QLD
08-19-2002, 12:37 AM
I love my dog!

His name is Barkley! :)

I named him after my favorite athlete, Charles Barkley!

He is a Cairn Terrier, and is really awesome. Cairns have extremely good personalities, are very friendly with everyone, including children. They love to cuddle, and play rough. He's extremely intelligent, and has so many human traits, it's hilarious!

I also would love a black lab, golden retriever, and srpinger spaniel. They are great dogs, but were too big for my apt. at the time.

:D

dingodad
08-19-2002, 01:06 AM
This is Dingo, my namesake here on SSG. I went to a petstore to buy dogfood one day that there was an adoption agency there. While passing by the cages, I noticed a pup curled up in the back of the cage by herself. I asked if I could see her so they took her out and handed her to me. She cudled up against my neck and I was donefor. I said "hold on i'll get the money." trying to hold back the emotion. She has been both a curse and a blessing and I cant imagine not seeing her and her adopted sister when I get home from work each day.

dingodad
08-19-2002, 01:07 AM
She's the one not wearing the hat.

Chiesa
08-19-2002, 07:12 AM
I think this thread is alittle irrevalent but who cares!! :confused: This world is just weird!! hahaha... Yea I got a cute little Maltese and she is like 13 yrs old!! What a grandma!!

Cheers :D

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 07:24 AM
if I would have a dog it would be a Pug and I would name him FOOSBALL!!!:D

Jargo
08-19-2002, 07:31 AM
No, a little irrelevent is something you find at a zoo with all the big grey irrelevents sticking their trunks through the bars trying to get a sticky bun..... :rolleyes: sorry, bad joke. :D

Possibly the picture gallery doesn't work because hotmail deleted the community. They're nce like that if you don't go there in a while. Normally they let you know that you haven't been and warn about deleting it but sadly no warning this time. :( Oh well, I'll try to come up with a revamp for Buster's dogpile sometime soon. Incidentally, Buster likes to recieve e-mail from lady dogs across the globe. He's a bit of a charmer and likes blonds with tufty hair and pretty little noses.... no, seriously, Buster likes to read e-mail and look at pics of lady doggies. Why else do you think he has a website? :D Caesar and BigBarada both sent Buster nice piccies to look at and I'm sure he'd welcome any more.

Some people shouldn't have dogs. My Mother has a Black labrador imaginatively called Blackie. He's twice the size he should be, blind in both eyes and gets no exercise so his rear end looks like one of those gibbons with a big red bum. A dog needs exercise daily otherwise their glands clog up and they get serious problems back there. Which is why you sometimes see dogs sliding across the floor on their bum. Funny as it is there's a medical problem so watch for it and get the dog treated for anal glands or worms.....

Cats. Buster hates cats. We have a hillbilly woman next door to us who takes in stray cats. Mangy looking things with fleas and bad attitude. Hundreds of them. Buster took it upon himself to patrol the grounds of our place and keep the cats out. It's a mission of love and devotion to protect us. But since he was trained never to be vocal as a guide dog for the blind, he makes this weird husky grunting noise instead of barking. Sort of like "HUH, HURRRRH". He can bark, he's got a really deep throaty bark that scares the living bejeesus out of me but he never does normally. Definately a star though that dog. I don't think there's a single person we know in the neighbourhood who doesn't love Buster. He's the only dog allowed in the local stores because he's ex guide dog and they know he's trained properly.

Here's a pic of buster carrying a twig like he does every ewalk we go on. You wouldn't think he had arthritis would you? I have trouble lifting the twigs he carries round half the time.

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Jeepers, is Buster building a log cabin?:)

I might have to see about getting Sandy checked out for that problem you mentioned Jargo. She lived here with my parents for five years and was inactive the whole time. When I got home I started taking her out on twice-daily walks around the area to get her some excercise. At first she was winded less than a hundred yards from the door, now we can go two miles each walk. When fall and winter roll around, I plan to take her out for a few hours at a time and maybe walk her all the way to the next town, ten miles away.

Anyway, here's another pic of Sandy for Buster's enjoyment.:)

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Something weird has just happened. I let my dog out into the backyard a few minutes ago and now I can't find her! :eek:

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 10:30 AM
You sound really concerned, considering you are posting here and not out looking for her right now.:rolleyes:

Spare us the melodrama and go find your dog.

Darth Shifty
08-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by manji
Everyone knows that cats are better pets!:Pirate: :D

Blasphemer!!!!

I have a 5 year old Jack Russell terrier named Merlin. Best friend I could ever ask for.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 12:39 PM
I have now found my dog, Lily! :D It turns out she was in fact, still out back. (I wondered how she could have left since she wouldn't jump the fence!) It turns out she was trapped within a bush and completely concealed. The only odd thing is that she wasn't moaning (she normally whines when she's trapped in something) and she didn't come when I first came out back and called her.
But she's fine. It wasn't really anything to worry about even if she were gone (unless she were, heaven forbid, run over or something) because months ago the vet installed a tracking chip between her shoulder blades.

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I have now found my dog, Lily! :D It turns out she was in fact, still out back. (I wondered how she could have left since she wouldn't jump the fence!) It turns out she was trapped within a bush and completely concealed. The only odd thing is that she wasn't moaning (she normally whines when she's trapped in something) and she didn't come when I first came out back and called her.
But she's fine. It wasn't really anything to worry about even if she were gone (unless she were, heaven forbid, run over or something) because months ago the vet installed a tracking chip between her shoulder blades.

A tracking chip??!??!?! A TRACKING CHIP?!?!?!??!??!? Between her shoulder blades??? What in the hell??:confused::stupid:

No wonder she always bites you.

Captain Trips
08-19-2002, 01:07 PM
We have two bichons (little white teddy bear looking things) that my WIFE named Luke and Leia. We also have two guinnea pigs named Wicket and Paploo.

Welcome to the Galactic zoo...

Also, Deadeye's tracking chip isn't so bad. They just stick it under the skin (they did ours when they were unconscious getting fixed) and the dog is none the wiser. If they ever get lost, a vet can just scan them and get all of our contact information. A very good investment for the money (I think it was only about $50 or so).

QLD
08-19-2002, 01:13 PM
My dog already had it in him when I got him.

One thing they use it for is also to find people who abandon or kill their pets. Unfortunately, it happens a lot, and they have caught several people who have done so.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Bigb,

Do you live in the ghetto or something? Pretty much all dogs in the Midwest have tracking chips installed.

Pendo
08-19-2002, 04:28 PM
Something weird has just happened. I let my dog out into the backyard a few minutes ago and now I can't find her! :eek:

LOL DeadEye that made me laugh cause you lost your dog and came straight online :). Shouldn't you have gone out looking for her insted of coming on and telling us :confused:, we can't exactly help you :rolleyes:. I'd look out my window but I doubht I'd see her here in Liverpool!

Anyway, glad you've found her now, even if I do hate dogs.

PENDO!

Rogue II
08-19-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pendo

LOL DeadEye that made me laugh cause you lost your dog and came straight online :). Shouldn't you have gone out looking for her insted of coming on and telling us :confused:, we can't exactly help you :rolleyes:. I'd look out my window but I doubht I'd see her here in Liverpool!

Anyway, glad you've found her now, even if I do hate dogs.

PENDO!

Hey, they say you can find just about everything on the internet.:D

I have 2 dogs. They are both mutts. Gordie is the white one (some sort of terrier/poodle mix) and Sam is the brown/white dog. Sam came from Korea. He has a metal plate in his shoulder because he has been run over twice(before I took him). He pulls slightly to the left when he walks. He's just lucky he wasn't served with rice while he was in Korea.

DeadEye
08-19-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, I had no other choice than to come online. I couldn't reach my parents by phone, and Lily sure couldn't have jumped the fence, so I knew that either she was hiding out back or someone stole her.

Dark Knight
08-19-2002, 05:56 PM
I have three dogs.:D The oldest is a golden retriever named Lady and two mutts. I love my dogs.

:D :D :D

dingodad
08-19-2002, 06:07 PM
This is my other dog "Gerty". She's half chow and 1/4 this and 1/4 that. Ive had gert for 6 years now. i couldnt ask for a more loyal friend.

jobi
08-19-2002, 07:02 PM
these are my boys they're pretty crazy.

KIDD
08-19-2002, 07:56 PM
I see everyone here is enjoying my post. good cause everyone should have a best friend like my spike

JediTricks
08-19-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
A tracking chip??!??!?! A TRACKING CHIP?!?!?!??!??!? Between her shoulder blades??? What in the hell??:confused::stupid: I've seen these on the news. The chip is the size of a grain of rice and acts as a detailed commtech chip for the pound. If your dog gets out and is caught by the dog catcher, they can scan the chip and get told where the dog lives and if has any medical needs or some such stuff.

I used to have a dog, a black Chow but he got too old and we had to put him to sleep. My good cat died not long after, now I've got the "not so good" cat (which is to say, he's not a BAD cat but he's not a good cat most of the time either).

-------

Anyway, no more of this squabbling and personal attack stuff between certain parties or posts get deleted, threads get closed, users get suspended, and we get to suffer through it all. :(

Nexu
08-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Well, how do they know if the dog has a chip? Do they scan all strays looking for the chips? What happens if the chip moves, it very well could happen if it's just under the skin, and it's as big as a grain of rice.

TylerD
08-19-2002, 11:58 PM
I have two Old English Sheepdogs (Shaggy dogs) named Samson and Buttons. We have had Samson almost five years (he is 5 years old) and we got Buttons this past March (he is about
7 months old). I swear that sometimes they are humans! Sometimes they act so remarkably like people! Right now, they have their summer haircut, but when Winter comes, they live up to the name shaggy dog. They are like brothers to me.

haggis
08-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Good thread, Kidd! Here's a picture of the real Haggis:

TeeEye7
08-20-2002, 05:46 AM
Three, count 'em, three dachshunds:

A mini (black & tan dapple)

Two tweenies (one red, one black)

GREAT watch dogs!

SERIOUS hunters.....remember, size matters not!

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Bigb,

Do you live in the ghetto or something? Pretty much all dogs in the Midwest have tracking chips installed.

:rolleyes:

Psssh! Talk to the hand!;):p

Actually I live in the country, where men are men, women are women and you have to dodge horse poop in the road.:eek: Thus, no cyber-dogs out here.:D

We don't even have cable.:cry:

Although, we have to keep Sandy inside or on a leash when outside since, from a distance, she looks like a large coyote. One of our neighbors almost shot her once when she jumped the five foot fence around our backyard, until she saw Sandy's collar, then she just called us to tell us that our dog was out.

Patient Zero
08-20-2002, 09:48 PM
AAAARRRGGG! DOGS! Worthless animals! They are not even true mamals!

The house, the house, the house is on fire!

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
AAAARRRGGG! DOGS! Worthless animals! They are not even true mamals!

The house, the house, the house is on fire!

:confused:

Um, you're being sarcastic again right?

Wait a minute! You're absolutely right! They're not mamals, they are mammals!:p