PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever learn how to play Chess?

2-1B
08-17-2002, 11:44 PM
I learned from a teacher in elementary school, what an awesome game !
Unfortunately through some of high school and all of college I never played . . . but I recently got back into playing.
I'm wondering if there are any forumites who know the game, and if so I'm up for a match sometime! There are several online places to play, let me know if interested. :)

As a kid I fell for the whole "chess is dorky" :rolleyes: cliche,
but am I ever glad I learned to appreciate what a truly intelligent game it is. :happy:

However, that does not mean I'm very good. :D

LTBasker
08-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Yeah, chess is fun, especially when you've got a good game going. I learned in the 5th grade cause the teacher really liked chess and so she taught chess to every class she has. One time we got to make up our own rules for it (they had to be reasonable of course) and play against another classmate. There was also this thing about 4 player chess and one year the makers of the set actually came to her class, I wasn't in it that year though.

Dar' Argol
08-17-2002, 11:47 PM
I love that game, but its hard to find ppl who do. I usually play on yahoo. But I've kinda gotten out of it over the past 3 months. The worse game I ever had, I got checked in 3 moves!! and the other person didn't even know he did it either!! Oh well:D

rynobot
08-18-2002, 12:16 AM
I learned like in 6/7th grade. I use to play it on my computer but I ended up deleting it and have regreted doing so ever since. I tried on Yahoo, but I just can't play against people with out seeing em.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-18-2002, 12:22 AM
I learned Chess around the 3rd grade. Lots of fun!!! Now I'm really bad at it. :stupid:

AdmiralPiett
08-18-2002, 02:24 AM
I think I was about 2nd or 3rd grade when I learned to play. I stink at it though. I've always been bad at it. I remember one time throwing a tantrum when I was about 8 because my dad was helping my 4 year old sister. I thought it was cheating and flipped the board so the pieces went everywhere. I was a really bad sportsman back then!
Piett

Pendo
08-18-2002, 06:30 AM
I learnt how to play in 2nd Year Juniors in school but haven't played in YEARS!!! Probably because I never win :rolleyes::cry:.

PENDO!

Rogue II
08-18-2002, 06:48 AM
I learned when I was around 10. My father taught me how to play. He even bought Chess for our TI-99/4A so I could practice.

I don't play much any more, but I still play against my father and brother whenever I see them.

QLD
08-18-2002, 08:12 AM
My brother is 4 1/2 years older than me, and when I was in about 3rd grade, he was on the chess team. I actually joined it for a while. I was decent, but I would never consider myself good, especially since I never play anymore.

I can only see about 5 moves ahead.. :(

But I have played my best friend a few times, and he sees about 15-20 ahead, and destroys me. But it is something I would like to play again, and get better at.

A truly great game!

Exhaust Port
08-18-2002, 10:27 AM
I learned sometime in Elementary school when my parents bought me a beginner chess set. On each of the pieces it had a written and picture description of how that piece moves. I remember playing with my parents trying to remember what each of the pieces did. I played on and off for years but never enough to figure out a strategy or get any good. Still have fun when I do get a chance to play again.

Eternal Padawan
08-18-2002, 11:04 AM
My dad and sister taught me how to play. I would play with them over and over and over and over, until I started beating them. Now I try to teach all my girlfriends to play, but they have zero interest in learning. Heathens.

ROLLO!

JediTricks
08-18-2002, 02:26 PM
I learned when I was 8, I think from a school teacher but I honestly don't remember. I am not very good at it though, mainly because I seem to overthink everything and end up getting frustrated with that and not thinking ANYTHING through. I have an electronic "teaching" chessboard that nags me when it wants me to move its pieces, I've picked my game up a little using that but I'm still pretty bad.

I prefer Abalone, anybody play that? I even have it for my PDA, it's a lot of fun.

bigbarada
08-18-2002, 02:33 PM
I learned to play from my father and actually joined the Chess Club in 7th grade. Until my first tournament, I was beaten in five moves. I really didn't have a chance, the guy I was playing against was too good. After that I played a little with my dad off and on, but I haven't played a serious game in over 15 years.

scruffziller
08-18-2002, 03:18 PM
I learned it when I was 10. I was never any good though. I could never follow through in my mind and keep track of what was going on. My brother who was only 5 would always beat the pants off of me as he did at everything else throughout life and still does till this day. I am 27 he is 22. He has a successful computer tech job and I work in the dairy at WAL Mart. Jealousy............. hey, even that emotion God cannot escape.
"I am a jealous God, you shall have no other Gods before me."

master jedi
08-18-2002, 08:36 PM
I think I learned how to play when I was around 12 or 13. I'm not that good though. I haven't played it in a couple of years so I probabply should whip out the old board and see if I still remember how to play.

El Chuxter
08-19-2002, 10:51 AM
I learned as a youngster, but I'm not too terribly good at it. I taught my girlfriend to play, and within two weeks she was kicking my tail! :( Doesn't mean it ain't a fun game, though. :)

robman71
08-19-2002, 10:59 AM
I learned to play in the 5th grade. While I don't get to play very often, I have a few friends that play and every now and again we have a game. As to whether I am good or not, it depends on who I am playing against.

Darth Shifty
08-19-2002, 11:44 AM
My dad taught me to play when I was 5 or 6. I've loved the game ever since. I'm always up for a game Caeser, just let me know!

Patient Zero
08-20-2002, 07:58 PM
I taught myself to play, but I never have anyone that wants to play.

I am so alone...snot drips from nose.

Jargo
08-20-2002, 09:00 PM
No, why?

chess is dull. Nude backgammon is better. :sur:

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Anyone ever play that 3 player chess? The board was in the shape of a triangle. I was starting to devise a game in which you coralte chess with that of playing Magic The Gathering, but I forgot how I was developing it.

Darth Shifty
08-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
I taught myself to play, but I never have anyone that wants to play.

I am so alone...snot drips from nose.

It's okay, here's a hanky. Tell you what, when I die we can play chess all day long, then go scare the bejesus out of fleshys at night. How's that sound?

Darth Shifty
08-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Anyone ever play that 3 player chess? The board was in the shape of a triangle.

I've never seen 3-player chess, but my friends and I occaisionally play 4 player chess. It's pretty fun, we usually play 2 on 2 teams. The one bad thing about it is how long the game takes because of all the strategy involved. Take the average time it takes you to play a game of chess and square it for a game of 4 player chess.

Here's what the board looks like:
http://www.4playerchess.com/main.html