PDA

View Full Version : Why Star Wars????

Imperial Monarche
08-18-2002, 10:40 PM
So, I don't mean to be blasphemus, but what is in the Star Wars saga that makes all of us fans go crazy whenever we hear anything about it? I mean, I live for Star Wars so I'm right there with all of y'all, but what makes us such fanatics? It can't be that the movies have all the best story telling elements because Lord of the Rings had that and I'm not as big a fan of that. So, why is Star Wars all of our favorite movies of all time and what made it such a cult movie, almost a religion?

Pendo
08-19-2002, 06:24 AM
For me it's the powerful emotion in the movie, the struggle between good and evil, the fate of the galaxy lies in one mans hands! Never before have I seen a more powerful story about a small family, and how it takes all the love in this one small family to destroy all evil and bring peace to the galaxy.

PENDO!

Patient Zero
08-19-2002, 09:28 AM
One word: memories. In my youth, I remember the happiest memories revolving around SW.

Darkross
08-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Because...everything about the Star Wars universe is cool! Space travel, lightsabers, blasters, the FORCE...it is just gives you that sense...that you would just love to live in the Star Wars universe. I know I do!

billfremore
08-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
One word: memories. In my youth, I remember the happiest memories revolving around SW.

What he said.

Captain Trips
08-19-2002, 01:17 PM
I was 6 when ANH came out in '77, and my grandmother took me to see it countless times. As I think back on your question, why Star Wars?

Lightsabers
Space battles
Darth Vader
Lightsabers
Wookies
The Death Star
and
lightsabers

scruffziller
08-19-2002, 02:30 PM
Well everything in the posts above applies, but I believe the magic that is SW and why it is the biggest cult film series is that it constituted the first major break through in cinematics. Alot people in recent years who see it, only see it. When I seen it back in '77, I would say that I "EXPERIENCED it!!! And because of its impact, it was like the coming of Jesus.

Exhaust Port
08-19-2002, 09:22 PM
Be careful comparing pop culture and Jesus. The Beatles did that once with quite a lot of backlash ;) :D

SW was such a ground breaking movie on so many levels that it became an instant classic. Whether you were a fan of sci-fi or not you were amazed by the visuals, special effects, music, story, etc... For those of us in that 4-18 year old range, we were the perfect audience to drink it all in and become hooked. Because of it's timeless nature, the SW movies are still capturing new fans. Very few movies have ever been able to do that.

JediTricks
08-20-2002, 01:42 AM
Hey EP, you comparing Scruff to the Beatles? Isn't that nearly the same level of blasphemy these days? :D

Star Wars is a nigh-perfect blend of sci-fi, fantasy, and mythos. As a movie, it has good, simple storytelling technique and uses the special effects as tools rather than crutches. It is well-paced and has an incredible look to it; it takes the rather stodgy concepts of science-fiction and turns them on their ear to move the story along. And its sequels build upon a fantastic foundation and loosely follow this winning formula. And most of all, when it works, it doesn't have to talk down to ANY part of the audience, it doesn't have to alienate any group in order to pander to another.

As a story, Star Wars is at its core what most of us dream about, fantastic worlds with deep and rich histories, a boy becoming a man and that man becoming a hero, a princess who is just distressed enough to need rescuing and just warrior enough to be lovable, good versus evil in a fight for the fate of the galaxy, aliens and humans and droids co-mingling in a universe where nothing is perfect or equal.

Basically, it's just great fun that any young mind can easily immerse itself into, because it's got something inside for almost anybody to grab a piece of and be enthralled by an epic tale.

scruffziller
08-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Be careful comparing pop culture and Jesus. The Beatles did that once with quite a lot of backlash ;) :D

The Beatles didn't compare Jesus to themselves, in fact what they had said was that they "were becoming MORE popluar than Jesus." THat is what the controversey was about since it was taken out of context. I am saying that the following in "form" is like that of a spirituality following. The toys are the idols we have in our home and the movie theatre is the church. Reading literature are the holy words of George Lucas and his disciples.
So yes what is going on is very similar.

Rogue II
08-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Captain Trips
I was 6 when ANH came out in '77, and my grandmother took me to see it countless times. As I think back on your question, why Star Wars?

Lightsabers
Space battles
Darth Vader
Lightsabers
Wookies
The Death Star
and
lightsabers

I was 4 when I first saw it in '77. My parents took me to see it in the drive-in. As JediTricks said, it was a perfect combination. On top of that, there were really cool toys associated with the movie. They are the reason I collect the modern line today; to replace the figures I lost from my childhood and to get the ones I never had.

chewie
08-25-2002, 08:39 PM
I think the love for Star Wars came partly from it being a big budget sci-fi movie. The other part was due to the non stop action. Action movies existed before Star Wars, but SW probably packed more in the film than any other to that date. And the size and scale of the movie (and its sequels) were epic in proportion. Planet hopping, giant moon-sized battle stations, and the diverse cast of creatures propelled it to the fronts of people's minds unlike any sci-fi movie before it. And it also set off the sci-fi explosion in movies and tv that brought about many future sucesses of the genre.

mini-rock
09-02-2002, 01:20 AM
Lightsabers! Can't think of a cooler weapon to come from a movie. I saw SW in '77 when I was 5, and the countless times seeing it after was all about the lightsabers.

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

The Beatles didn't compare Jesus to themselves, in fact what they had said was that they "were becoming MORE popluar than Jesus." THat is what the controversey was about since it was taken out of context. I am saying that the following in "form" is like that of a spirituality following. The toys are the idols we have in our home and the movie theatre is the church. Reading literature are the holy words of George Lucas and his disciples.
So yes what is going on is very similar.

No offense, scruff, but that's just dumb. I have never gotten my religious beliefs and my interest in Star Wars confused and I most definitely do not consider George Lucas' words "holy." However, I can see a point about what the Bible describes as worshiping two masters. Every time I discover that my interest in Star Wars (or LOTR for that matter) is overshadowing my devotion to God and His Word, then I step back and try to find focus again. It's not always easy to recognize, but in respect to my religious beliefs I will never refer to Star Wars as a religion or toy as idols or George Lucas as a god or prophet. Even in vain, those references are taking it all way too far.

I will admit that from a detached anthropological standpoint someone could mistake a fan's interest in Star Wars as a religion. And playing with, or displaying action figures, as paying homage to idols; but that's the main reason I don't let those anthropological types into my house.;)

As for why Star Wars? Easy. All the cool action figures. I never liked the films that much as a kid, but it was the toys that kept me coming back over and over.

Starfig873
09-04-2002, 10:13 AM
I just think it's fun. The characters are great to look at and watch, the weapons and vehicles used are awesome in design. And the scores to the movies are quite memorable and energetic at times.

And I'm kinda with BB in that the toys really do help the love of the movie along. :)

DahrJin
09-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Like it has been said, memories and the FUN factor. SW was a part of my childhood, and I'm happy to admit it's a part that I didn't have to give up in adulthood. SW keeps my inner child alive and well. :D

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 02:44 PM
Everyone needs to chillout about God because without Him there would be no Star Wars.

And reason for loving Star Wars is the Jedi. Regular people can't comprehend what the feel around them and their power for good or evil is amazing. The Jedi fascinate me and the fact Lucas created the Jedi fascinates me even further. And to help my fascination with Jedi I buy anything and everything that is related to them.

bigbarada
09-29-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Dark Lord Kakorotto
Everyone needs to chillout about God because without Him there would be no Star Wars.

I agree.:)

To answer the question of "Why Star Wars." I believe it is a combination of the movies, the toys and just the level of imagination that went into it all. Not just from George but from everyone involved in the films (with the possible exception of Rick McCallum;) ).

stillakid
09-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Well, in my opinion, it's everything JediTricks said above. He summed it up quite nicely, I thought.

ANH has a timeless story with characters we can relate to and empathize with all folded together within an environment that was both exotic yet familiar. It was very accessible and spoke across the generations. It was fortunate that he began the saga with that particular part of the tale. :)

Also, as BB pointed out, the added benefit of the toys might have (I don't know for sure, I haven't seen it labeled as a fact anywhere) given the Saga a true hold on the younger viewers who could take a small part of the story home with them. It's possible (not a fact) that the unique Production Design of the film, which was transferred quite well, in my opinion, for the time into tiny little toys encouraged a mere film to become a phenomenon.