PDA

View Full Version : Should Hasbro make a Human B-wing Pilot?

Tycho
08-19-2002, 01:29 AM
SEE THIS IMAGE BEFORE YOU VOTE! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=159991)

As promised, in a slowly continuing series of polls to examine whether our readers want all the vintage figures remade for the modern collection, this week we look at the vintage B-wing Fighter Pilot.

Previously:

89% of our readers voted YES for a modern version of General Madine. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10936)

88% of our readers voted YES for a new action figure for Romba the Ewok. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2435)

and

93% of our readers voted YES for a new version of the Imperial Dignitary (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4107)

There are about 15 figures at the most, which existed as Kenner Star Wars figures from the 1980's that Hasbro has not remade in an all new likeness of.

So should Hasbro add a modern version of the B-Wing Fighter Pilot to our present-day collections?

Look at the image before you vote, then select an answer, and then we'll talk about "why" or "why not?"

Beast
08-19-2002, 01:41 AM
I'm up for it. Infact since Hasbro wants to do more army building sets they could take the current B-Wing pilot and just mold the outfit in red and do various generic headsculpts. I wouldn't mind seeing the fan club offer a pack of 4. Even if they just took the Bespin Guard, Naboo Royal Guard, and both Saga Endor Rebel Soldier heads and used them on the B-Wing pilot body. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
08-19-2002, 02:20 AM
They cannot just take the current B-wing pilot and mold his body in a red uniform and just add different heads.

The current B-wing pilot is a Sullustan, and no matter how cool that is to get an alien pilot with a helmet that's removeable (nice job Hasbro!), Sullastans are typically short.

In ROTJ, the only alien fighter pilots I think we saw at all were Sollustan.

In the Expanded Universe, the pilots (mostly Rogue Squadron) also included Mon Calamarians, Quarren, Twi'leks, Rodians, Gand, and Bith amongst others. First, only Gands are typically shorter, so the Sullustan body could work there (possibly). Now having these pilots with removeable helmets would be cool (in my opinion) BUT THEY ARE NOT MOVIE CHARACTERS - and Hobbie and Janson are most noticably missing from Rogue Squadron in the first place, and they ARE movie characters.

(also, the most famous Gand pilot is Qorl Qygg, same species as bounty hunter Zuckuss, but Corran Horn's wingman. And he's in an X-wing uniform, not a B-wing one - so the head swap wouldn't work there either).

Again, the same thing goes for using the B-wing uniformed body we have now, by Hasbro or even customizers (unless you're making a short human with your Naboo Guardsman's head, etc.)

Now here's a picture of the REAL Arvel Crynyd!

Tycho
08-19-2002, 02:27 AM
As you can see, the A-wing pilot above (Arvel Crynyd) wears the Green Squadron uniform. Green Group was an all- A-wing Unit.

Here is a B-wing pilot. B-wings were in Gold Squadron, though their command was taken over by General Lando Calrissian who outranked Losh Habra, the former Gold Leader, who's pictured here in the distinct B-wing uniform. Gold squadron did NOT wear Gold uniforms, though you could say Lando's tan General's uniform, or perhaps some gold General's rank pins I hadn't noticed were gold...

Beast
08-19-2002, 02:29 AM
The figure it's self isn't that short though, comparing it to other figures. So I don't see a big problem with doing it as I suggested. It's probably the only way you will every get a human B-Wing pilot. If they have to do that to ensure one gets made, I won't be complaining. Especially since quite a few POTF2 figures are out of scale anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
08-19-2002, 02:31 AM
Some say the current figure of a human pilot that we have in red, is our first Asian Star Wars action figure (released before the Bespin Guard ever was). That may be true, but Asian pilots that were more obvious included 2 Y-WING PILOTS from Grey Squadron including Gray Leader and this fellow here, Lt. Hsu (Grey 3):

Tycho
08-19-2002, 02:35 AM
A Black pilot figure would also add some more accuracy to any Battle of Endor flight group. This fighter pilot here was also a member of Rogue Squadron who was KIA at Endor. This is Mak Case, X-WING FIGHTER PILOT, designated Rogue 4:

jedihunter25
08-19-2002, 03:13 AM
I vote YES. I think that Hasbro should remake vintage Kenner stuff. They need to remake the figs and vehicles that they HAVE NOT DONE YET. I'm tired of them making 100 versions of Darth Maul and and yet another version of the X-wing and Landspeeder when they still need to make the Sandcrawler and Escape Pod.

Mar10Sir
08-19-2002, 03:46 AM
Well... although not representative of the actual B-Wing pilots as appeared on ROTJ the Rebel Pilots CSP figures do quite well for me. Still, if Hasbro goes on and makes a new carded B-Wing pilot of course I'll get my hands on a few.

Now... as far as pilots are concerned a remake of the Twin-pod Cloud Car which included both pilots as pack-ins would be suh-weeeeeeeeeet!

WedgeAntilles
08-19-2002, 03:52 AM
Make way! Make way! Big Starfighter pilot fan comin through.

My vote is a big fat YES, and Hasbro shouldn't just stop at a B-wing pilot. I want to see figures for Red Leader, Wes, Hobbie, Zev, the real Arvel or maybe Tycho (he was the A-wing pilot who flew out of the death star to draw away some TIEs, no?) and a Y-wing pilot in gray overalls.

Having rebel pilots of different races would be cool too....while we're at it, let's also have a female one.

Mar10Sir
08-19-2002, 04:16 AM
That'd be cool even though the first female pilot on any SW movie was the one played bye Celia Irmae on The Phantom Menace.

Now, I was just thinking... (WOW! a major feat at this hour!) Since Hasbro has a trend of making things over and over again (like the electronic X-Wing, the Power/FX X-Wing and the new ESB X-Wing and also the electronic Snowspeeder) why not make Wedge's Red 2 X-wing with an all new ANH Wedge Figure (the current one which came in the Millennium Falcon carrying case is from ESB) AND a removable R2 unit? That'd be 2 new exclusive figures! They could also make Biggs X-Wing or one of the Gold group's Y-Wing from ANH or... well... you get the idea.

Also... it'd be nice if the vehicles were made closer to their proportion (scale or size ratio, however you wanna' call it) with the figures. I know a closer to scale Millennium Falcon (for example) would be huge, but... hmmm... I'd pay, say somewhere around the $130 - $150 mark for it. Would anyone else?

WedgeAntilles
08-19-2002, 04:41 AM
Hasbro could easily have done an X-wing for Wedge or Biggs. All they had to do was include a sticker sheet with the Saga X-wing so you could change the number of stripes on the wings.

For the pilots, they can come on the saga blister cards with their individual astromech droids included.

Figureman2
08-19-2002, 09:00 AM
I say the pilot is all good and well, but what we REALLY need are some more B-Wings... and Y-Wings, while we're at it. These exclusives were of such short run, that if we want the pilot to have anything to fly, we'll need some way of accessing more ships.
In other news, I say stop with the ten million Lukes and Mauls and give us some EU pilots. I would personally love to add Corran Horn, Mirax Terrik, and Voort "Piggy" saBinring to my collection. Those are the kind of pilots... and respective ships for that matter... that we really need.

Rogue II
08-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Definately yes.

I am all for Hasbro re-making every figure from the vintage line. Likewise, I would like to see a lot more OT characters, especially pilots.

Bring on the Pilots.

SNAYSON
08-19-2002, 09:29 AM
i say YES!

i would like Hasbro to make the remaining orignal kenner figures not redone in new likeness. THen hasbro can make all the new stuff they want wether it's movies characters not yet made into figures or EU/concept figures.

NRPeace
08-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Well, I think before Hasbro makes some more generic rebel pilots, they should make some of the more distinctive ones. A red leader from ANH would be nice, a gold leader (or a mass re-release of the y-wing), Biggs with a removable helmet, and one each from ROJ's colored squadrons.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-19-2002, 11:20 AM
I vote a resounding no! The reason: let's get on with figures that just haven't been made yet. Who wouldn't want a Coruscant night club thong chick figure over a B-Wing pilot? :)

In all seriousness though I think Hasbro should just stay away from pilot figures for the moment. They keep botching them up or giving us lame-o resculpts. The B-Wing pilot from the 3-pack was good, but Hasbro's time to give us a human B-Wing pilot should have been with the Target B-Wing. If they do it now, we'll just get something like the clone Luke snowspeeder pilot figure or the a clone of the A-Wing pilot pack-in. Besides that we got two of the same Imp. pilots in the TIE/I and TIE/B ships. The POTJ X-Wing Luke was a different sculpt but it looked like it a redneck on goofballs.

I say they should just produce new figures for the time being and skip the B-Wing pilot. If we do get one soon it'll just be a crappy redo and no one will be happy with that except for Hasbro.

jedi_uk73
08-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Hasbro should know by now what the general collector wants and doesn't want.

They just don't seem to take any notice. I too am fed up with all these versions of Darth Maul, Qui gon etc etc.

I am all for a newer version of ANY vintage figure that HAVEN'T be remade yet, especially B-wing Pilot, General Madine etc etc.

jedi master sal
08-19-2002, 01:27 PM
I for one would love to see all of Rogue squadron and Wraith squadron made.

Not likely though.

AS to the infinite number of rescuplts, here's why they do it:

For the casual fan or kid that didn't have a chance to pick one up a barely different resculpt doesn't matter to them. Hasbro is smart with this so that everyone gets a chance to have the MAJOR characters. There were like 4 or 5 Mauls who were virtually the same but it kept kids buying them.

I just wish they would spread them out (resculpts). Say every 1 1/2 - 2 years apart. This way the line could go on indefinitely. In between resculpts, come out with some minor characters (yes, even the same ones that have been released) this again gives the casual fan/kid a chance to get them if they missed out the first time. In between those throw in some EU figs and Movie obscure figures to round things out.

I for one don't have a problem with Hasbro re-releasing figs that have already come out. Some collectors who started late in the "game" would have a chance to complete their collections. While I'm not one of them I can sympathize with them when they are paying through the nose to E-bay scalpers (and the like).

Besides, if the SCALPERS knew that figures would be re-released they wouldn't be able to make the money they do now.

MikeAndTheBots
08-19-2002, 02:02 PM
I voted yes but I'd rather see more important pilots re-sculpted first. A new Biggs or some of the cooler pilots would be better. But they aren't even top priority in my books.

bigbarada
08-19-2002, 02:23 PM
I voted yes. I would love a more accurate version of the B-Wing Pilot, along with more accurate versions of the A-Wing and Y-Wing pilots also. A generic X-Wing pilot would be cool too.

zeroplate
08-19-2002, 02:39 PM
i'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but i think clamoring for a remake of another nameless figure because the one that was recently made isn't "accurate" is a little far-out. there are enough nameless pilots and troopers and army builder figures, and when you get tired of those, there are countless customs that can be done with the existing peg warmers.

the problem i see is not that hasbro doesn't listen to the fans. (name one other company that mass-produces toys based on virtually unknown characters from a film taken from fan suggestions) it's that the vocal minority of fans have an unrealistic image of the marketplace. go to your local toy shop and look at all the festering plastic in the form of female tusken raiders, niktos, clone troopers, etc. by and large, the market of collectors is not big enough to support making figures in the kinds of quantities that hasbro produces, so the 'sexier' figures like darth maul and the heros that appeal to kids are an obvious necessity.

i say, be happy we have a bevvy of NEW figures from the original films that in all estimations should NOT have been made (from a cost point of view- beru anyone? skiff guards 3 pack anyone?) and stop nagging hasbro for variation upon variation of things that have already been made.

no offense.

corporal AMF
08-19-2002, 05:11 PM
YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):D make it

Mar10Sir
08-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Well... there went all fun. :-/

In my opinion (which couldn't be less asked for, of course) I think that maybe Hasbro should consider the amount of figures they produce and their usability for lack of a better word. I think Beru was cool and in my experience, I never saw dozens of Beru's hanging on pegs, unwanted. Female Tusken Raiders, for one, are not available in huge numbers here, at least.

As a collector I appreciate and applaud Hasbro's "Fan Choice" figures and that sort of practice which gives collectors a sense of support to their interests (which results in Hasbro doing more business, of course). However, I find quite annoying that they make 3, 4 or 5 different suclpts of one figure in different poses instead of sticking to improved articulation (which they've done quite well recently with figures like the POTJ Sandtrooper, Imperial Officer and Rebel Fleet Trooper). There's still not an AOTC Obi-Wan that you can sit on Anakin's yellow speeder and look cool, for example. The legs and arms are too spread out.

If production costs are the issue here, why not make some pricier figures exclusively for the collector market? Many SW collectors are people who (like me) fell in love with the original films as young kids and now have the financial power to spend some dough on collectibles. Why not aim some products exclusively to that market?

JediTricks
08-19-2002, 09:43 PM
I gave this a lot of thought and decided that this figure is something I really wouldn't care about one way or the other, so I voted "No" simply because the figures in the pilot 3pack are enough for me (though I probably will be putting BoShek in the B-wing sooner or later ;)). We didn't see these guys DO anything in the film, so that's definitely another thing to consider for me so I'm now confident in my "no" vote... but it's not that I don't wanna see more CT figs, just not THIS one.

sith_killer_99
08-20-2002, 07:12 AM
I am in the "give-us-a-resculpt-of-every-vintage-figure" club.

I just think it's a nice way to bring evrything full circle.

Tycho
08-20-2002, 07:18 AM
Some nostalgia factor still plays a role in the health of the continuing collection. I myself first started collecting the second time around immediately as the first 9 were released, but by the time it was apparent that characters like Greedo and the Tusken Raider would be made, it was important for me to have all original 102 redone and "modernize" my collection.

At that time it also meant that I'd eventually
get a Lobot on steroids (actually we sort of did). But I wanted to see them all re-made.

But still, the original goal was to collect more realistic re-do's of all
the 102-3 original figures (this counts Jabba since he's a speaking
character, Blue Snaggletoothe, and the Max Rebo band, then see the 98-back for the rest).

Do YOU think it is a very large influence in collecting today?

zeroplate
08-20-2002, 09:52 AM
i'm not personally interested in recreating a collection of the original run of figures... i think there will always be more, more, more that people want, and it's not hasbro's position (or any manufacturer for that matter) to exist soley for fans.

i think it's hard to argue that the new (95-onward) packaging even holds a candle to the vintage series. i have yet to see one of the new blister cards/packages that inspired the same wonder in me that the old ones did. of course i was also a lot younger, but even now, i look at some of the custom cards on ebay with the large, bold images from the movie and i can't help but think that hasbro has let us down... so what's next? if we have all the 102 figures remade, what about new packaging as well? i just think it's a never-ending struggle to recapture something that is forever gone (our past). let's hold on to what we have now, be nostalgic, but keep moving forward.

as for figrues aimed directly at collectors-- take your pick! the unleashed figures are EXACTLY that, and only collectors know or give a hoot about characters like bo shek, wurher, etc. i would venture to guess that while the collector market is important to hasbro, it is still a very vocal minority of the consumer base. don't forget these products are being shipped all over the world as well, and there are cases upon cases of female tuskens collecting dust, if not near you, then somewhere else (like here).

Darth Tornado
08-20-2002, 10:27 AM
Sure why not its about time we have a good B-Wing pilot but if they do can they rerelease the B-Wing I never even seen the bloody thing. And that guy who is suppose to be the A-Wing pilot in the picture is actually a Y-Wing pilot from Return of the Jedi. He is the chinese guy who gets shot and crashes into a star destroyer screaming "im hit".

Tycho
08-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Actually, DARTH TORNADO, that is Lt. Hsu, Grey 4, that is the Y-Wing Pilot (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=160019) and you can see here that he wears the white-grey uniform of his squadron, and the details on even his helmet differ substantially from the Hasbro figure we got wearing red.

I'm sure there is a photo reference to that character, I just didn't find it and posted pictures of only the pilots from Return of the Jedi who had speaking lines in the movie (though there were more than I posted).

ZEROPLATE: part of the nostalgia for me personally is OPENING the figures, as when I was a kid, you better believe I sure didn't leave them carded. For me, I relate to having those rectangular "suitcase" style collector cases full of figures (remember the ones that had the movie scenes on the outside cover?). I kept my figures neatly in those until it was time to take them out and play or set up a diorama. Now I keep my dioramas permanent, but occasionally I can remove a figure from one and take a really close look at it again. For me the nostalgia factor is in having that ability with all 102 original characters being redone.

Today, if I add up the resculpts of Luke Tatooine, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul (and Chewbacca's getting there), I almost have 102 figures with them alone (just kidding - I hope!) Back in the day, 1 sculpt for each character would suffice, though today I'm a fan of the unique variety we got with different versions of characters, like say, Jango Fett. But now, as we approach somewhere close to 400 or 500 different 3 3/4" figures, we really should have all original 102 redone by now.

But I also agree with everything Zeroplate brought up, especially about the vintage packaging. I'm sure he expressed a point of view held by a lot of collectors.

billfremore
08-20-2002, 01:11 PM
I voted no, because I really don't care if we get another B-wing pilot.

I JUST WANT ANOTHER B-WING!!!

It'd be nice for those of us who don't have Targets to get a crack at getting one for normal retail price.

zeroplate
08-20-2002, 01:18 PM
interestingly, the star wars universe is moving towards being a more interactive dialog rather than the one-way monologue that it (and ALL movies) have been. this is something i have mixed feelings about, but it's coming. with the release of the star wars online game, it seems as though the lucasfilm camp seems happy to let the star wars universe become something that the fans can actually mold and create, with certain rules in place.

with that spirit, i think the customization of existsing figures is the way to get all the right characters for your (anyone's) dioramas. i'm not great at customizing myself, but there are some very well-made customs out there, and there are more all the time. once there are no more movies to produce, and thus a greatly reduced demand for toys, customizing those old pilots, troopers, jedis and such will be a way to fill in the minutae that hasbro/kenner may have missed.

but i understand wanting those original figures made anew.

Darth Tornado
08-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Hey Tycho your right he does have a white uniform. But it does look like him a bit doesnt it?

Tycho
08-21-2002, 01:55 AM
Yup. :)

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 12:47 PM
Yep release it so I can go back to the toy rack at WAL MART look at him on my break and not buy him. I don't have to, I practically live at WAL MART so it is like having him at home.. Sorry GL, they don't charge window shopping fees at WAL MART.

aikman
08-21-2002, 03:21 PM
I vote to ban on having polls asking 'do we want XXX figure?'

The answer is always yes, no matter what figure.

Beast
08-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Aikman, why do you have to come into a thread and instead of voicing your opinion on the figure or the idea to make the figure, you thread crap. It's a waste of your time, and the people that are actually intrested in the topics time, reading your opinion.

As you can see if you actually would read, or look at the poll that not everyone's answer is yes. So don't presume to take away people's right to have an opinion just because you think it's one sided. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

But still, the original goal was to collect more realistic re-do's of all
the 102-3 original figures (this counts Jabba since he's a speaking
character, Blue Snaggletoothe, and the Max Rebo band, then see the 98-back for the rest).

Okay, somebody has to be the geek who points this out:

There was never a 98-back SW card, only 92-back. Thus adding: Artoo(original), Artoo(periscope), Threepio(original) and Yakface makes 96 figures available on a card (there might have been some 93-back Tri-Logo cards released overseas, with YakFace as #93; but I have never seen one).

Add the Rebo Band and you get 99, if you really want to add Jabba since he was a character not a beast, then you get 100.

I generally don't add Blue Snaggletooth anymore than I would add vinyl caped Jawa or small head Han Solo; but if you absolutely must then that pushes the line up to 101.

I know, you were only one off from the actual numbers, but like I said somebody had to be geeky enough to point that out.:stupid:

Tycho
08-22-2002, 01:39 AM
Maybe I counted Salacious Crumb, I don't recall. He's already been made, so it doesn't matter.

But you're right about the cardback, BigBarada. My goof. But those were the days when I'd rip the figure right off the packaging and only get into the card BACK later.

ZeroPlate was so right about the cool card FRONTS we had back then!

bigbarada
08-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Since I would only get a couple figures at a time with gaps of years between new figures, I spent countless hours just looking at all the figures on the card backs and deciding who I liked and who I didn't. So I became something of an expert on the SW cardbacks as a kid.:)

They were the best looking designs that nothing in the modern lines has even come close to. A simple black card with a giant photo of the character, the figure's name, the SW logo and nothing else (no EU history or movie plot spoilers, just a blank slate for your imagination to fill in); those were the days.:cry:

aikman
08-23-2002, 04:21 PM
Jar, get a life and a clue.
How much time do you spend haunting these boards anyway?
Ever hurt you finger clicking the refresh button so often? You have a problem.

Ignore my posts because you arent smart enough to understand them anyway.

EVERY do you want this figure poll is resoundingly yes, bad poll

AdmiralPiett
08-24-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I know, you were only one off from the actual numbers, but like I said somebody had to be geeky enough to point that out.:stupid:

I think you may have been referring to the wampa.

I voted NO for this B-wing pilot. I know a lot of people thought that the target exclusive b-wing was crap (i didn't buy it but I think i've heard that it doesn't have electronics). Anyway, if most people don't even like the ship then why make a pilot for it? After all, if you look on Ebay you'll see it's the cheapest of the 3 target exclusives (y-wing, skiff, b-wing).
Plus, I am kind of tired of all these pilots being made. I mean, they're mostly just white guys and sometimes they have the occasional mustache or weight problem. I had no problem using numerous vintage luke x-wings and fisher price racecar drivers as a kid to pretend they were other characters like wedge, gold leader, etc. Let's see some more previously unmade cantina patrons and jabba's palace thugs.
Piett

Beast
08-24-2002, 02:49 AM
Well, I can understand using the vintage Luke: X-Wing for multiple pilots, since it looks nothing at all like Luke. Except for having a similar helmet to Luke in the movie, the face is about as generic as you can get. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
08-24-2002, 09:15 AM
You have disappointed me for the LAST time AdmiralPiett.

How can ANYONE say that the Target exclusive B-wing was cr@p?!?!:eek: :crazed:

I love this ship, with or without electronics.:p

Tycho
08-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Excuse me, but we don't need personal attacks going on here.

The B-wing has the lowest prices on E-bay because it was the easiest to find in Target. It sat for a while because it came out at $60 compared to the other two being priced at around $20. As a toy, it's much more complex than the Y-wing or the Skiff with its S-foils mechanism.

The skiff is just useful because it displays a lot of the cooler figures - and a variety of them, not the same army builders over and over again (aliens in other words). But the toy is pretty boring next to any of the starfighters.

The Y-wing has the most superior sculpt, but the best thing they left in it is the remote control landing gear. The astromech slot and the electronics are gone. Plus many vehicles have working landing gear - it's not that unique of feature.

The B-wing's S-foils make it superior. The anti-gravity thing in the cockpit is also cool, AND it has remote controled landing gear. (people who don't know this didn't go back to Target and buy it when it was only $12 bucks).

People being cheap on the part of buying the vehicles ought to lose their right to complain.

1) waiting for clearances doesn't encourage stores to order new ships were Hasbro to create the AT-TE, Sandcrawler, or whatever you personally want.

2) if you're cheap, that's fine, (I try to be myself after the fact that I buy and return when there's a clearance sale opportunity), but if you don't have the vehicle at all, how the heck do you know if something's crap. You sound like a baby. "Harley Davidson motorcylces are crap" - your song right until you win one or something, and the next thing you know "this is just what I always wanted."

This markets full of hypocrites.

Finally, it was a personal thing for me and others here who are interested, to poll the 15 figures that existed in the vintage collection and do not exist in their same exact form in the modern collection. That's because some people's goal in their hobby is to re-collect those, specifically. Just because it's not to your taste doesn't mean there are not going to be 11 more polls like this one, spread out over time on this site, until they are all done. Period. It was promised to our readers when I first took on doing the polls and a simplified question about "do you want all the Kenner stuff?" got too complicated for our readers.

Variations in Death Star Droids' paint colors, etc....

Some people care to have the one on the Sandcrawler as well. Some carded collectors that want all the vintage redone, don't have the luxury of using paint thinner either. "easy to customize" doesn't qualify as "collector satisfied."

sith_killer_99
08-24-2002, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I heard the B-Wing was pretty easy to come by in some places.

I was living in Hawaii at the time. Unfortunatly, there isn't a SINGLE Target on the island of Oahu.:(

I ended up trading a TIE Interceptor for it. I did the same thing for the Y-Wing and I have yet to get a Skiff.:cry:

BTW, just joking with the whole AdmiralPiett thing.;)

I am one of those who would like to see all of the vintage stuff in the modern line(s). We are soo close, it would be a shame NOT to.

AdmiralPiett
08-25-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
BTW, just joking with the whole AdmiralPiett thing.;)

I know you were only joking. I took no offense. :)
I can definitely understand you wanting all the original Kenner figures redone. If they did them back and only had about 100 in their collection then why shouldn't they make all of them now, right?

if you don't have the vehicle at all, how the heck do you know if something's crap. You sound like a baby. "Harley Davidson motorcylces are crap" - your song right until you win one or something, and the next thing you know "this is just what I always wanted."

I actually own a vintage version of the B-wing and I love it. It has that little lever to pop the two landing gear pieces out and that "anti-gravity" cockpit is totally clever. Plus that spinning motor in the back that you use to expand the wings was hidden so well that when I got mine off Ebay it took me a half an hour to figure out how it worked. I wasn't trying to dis the ship's design. I just figured that OTHER people thought it was crap since it was an exclusive and it had to be clearanced. And if the SHIP (which included a pilot) didn't sell well at retail, why would Hasbro think that a carded figure of the ship's pilot would sell? That's all that I was saying
Piett

Tycho
08-25-2002, 04:26 AM
The negative posting had nothing to do with you two: Sith Killer and Admiral Piett. You guys are fine. I was referring to other individuals and I think they figured it out.

Next, I wasn't referring to Admiral Piett alone saying the B-wing was crap (nor did I think he meant that personally - just figuratively speaking).

I was referring to lots of people in general, who I've seen post who either:

a) don't buy the vehicles (for other reasons than not wanting them) and still criticize them (probably because they don't have them)

or

b) don't open the vehicles and think they can make detailed assertations about the quality "That easily."

Figureman2
08-25-2002, 09:08 AM
I just think that the whole concept of making another B-Wing pilot is ridiculous until we get another B-Wing... personally, I live fairly far away from a Target, and the Target near me very rarely gets any exclusives. If Hasbro were to remake this figure, which I think they should, I think it's only necessary to create another B-Wing as well. Personally, the ships seems very cool to me and I wish I owned one.

JediTricks
08-27-2002, 02:10 AM
The Y-wing has the most superior sculpt, but the best thing they left in it is the remote control landing gear. The astromech slot and the electronics are gone. Plus many vehicles have working landing gear - it's not that unique of feature.I totally disagree with you. This thing is so badly out of scale, even from the cockpit to the body. It's not a bad ship, and it some good details, but it's woefully inaccurate compared to the Skiff and even the B-wing IMO.

Tycho
06-17-2003, 03:04 AM
In Return of the Jedi's anniversary year, let's not let Hasbro forget we still need a human B-wing pilot.

Likely the most obscure choice Hasbro might look at, he once had a lot of fan support on SirStevesGuide. Is that still true now?