PDA

View Full Version : Recommended John Williams film scores

El Chuxter
08-19-2002, 01:55 PM
I've been on a bit of a film score kick lately and the sheer volume of John Williams scores is pretty intimidating. So here's where I ask your help in recommending the best of the best. :)

So far I've got:
Everything related to SW (the SE soundtracks, the prequel soundtracks, the E1 UE soundtrack, and the long-vanished CT boxed set)
ET: The Extra-Terrestrial (SE)
Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone
Hook
Jurassic Park
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
AI
John Williams' Greatest Hits 1969-1999

I have Superman on an old cassette and plan to buy the expanded 2-CD edition of that soundtrack next. I also know I definitely want Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (unfortunately the only Indy soundtrack in print).

A friend of mine has recommended the following, not all of which I'm familiar with:
Minority Report
The Fury
Empire of the Sun
Home Alone 2
Far and Away
Dracula (1979)

Okay, what else would y'all recommend, and is there anything to definitely avoid?

hango fett
08-19-2002, 02:11 PM
i like the ones he did for star wars and harry potter the best. they rock!
h

Mandalorian Candidat
08-19-2002, 04:07 PM
I also have five or six different JW SW soundtracks including:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ SE 2-disc sets made in 1997
EP1 original disc and the EP1 Ultimate 2-disc set
The Skywalker Symphony actually directed by JW and recorded at Skywalker Ranch

Far and Away is also a great soundtrack, but it doesn't appeal to me enough to want to spend $ on it.

I'd also include Jaws, Close Encounters, and Superman as three good JW soundtracks.
I just got the ET 20th aniv. soundtrack for my B-day. Really great tunes.

I also found a completely authorized soundtrack that was pressed a couple of years ago of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was at a used CD store and I got it for $8.99. A great buy. The Skywalker Symphony was also purchased there for the same $.

Rogue II
08-19-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I also have five or six different JW SW soundtracks including:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ SE 2-disc sets made in 1997
EP1 original disc and the EP1 Ultimate 2-disc set
The Skywalker Symphony actually directed by JW and recorded at Skywalker Ranch

I have a Star Wars Trilogy Original Soundtrack Anthology from 1993. It is a 4 CD set, 1 disc per movie and the 4th has outtakes and previously unreleased music from all 3 films. It is pretty cool. It has a booklet that has a description of each track. There are also lots of pictures from the movies, behind the scenes, and R. Mcquarrie drawings. Yes, there is even the English version of the Ewok Celebration song.

I read John Williams won Academy Awards for Jaws and Fiddler on the Roof and was nominated for one in Close Encounters. He did the score for Born on the 4th of July also.

JON9000
08-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Man, that stuff is iconic. Superman, Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones. I think only the Bond theme would be more recognizable.

derek
08-19-2002, 06:46 PM
el chuxter,

these aren't john williams, but i'd highly recommend the "lord of the rings" and "band of brothers" soundtracks. both are very well done.:)

as for the "raiders" soundtrack, i recently found an import version of that film's music. so look out for that one.:)

Jargo
08-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Derek - Here? Now? But that can't be... He died erm, I mean, he left the forums about a month ago.... How can this be....? ;)

El Chuxter, the guy you want to speak to is Mike Troxell, our resident John Williams expert I believe. Mr. 'W' is Mike's pet thing before Star Wars I think. :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-20-2002, 05:06 AM
John Williams and the Boston Pops did a take on the Legend of Zelda Theme. The tune is very Williamsesque (if I can use that term) because the beginning sounds like a part from the Superman theme. A very nice work by JW & BP's .:cool:

El Chuxter
08-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Gracias all. :D

derek, I saw a used import copy of Raiders online for "only" $57! :eek: I think I'll keep checking the brick-and-mortar stores for this and other treasures. Unfortunately the only used CD store in my area is Wherehouse, which is about as shoddy a used CD store as possible.

Darth Nihilus
08-20-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
John Williams and the Boston Pops did a take on the Legend of Zelda Theme. The tune is very Williamsesque (if I can use that term) because the beginning sounds like a part from the Superman theme. A very nice work by JW & BP's .:cool:

I'd like to hear that.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Gracias all. :D

derek, I saw a used import copy of Raiders online for "only" $57! :eek: I think I'll keep checking the brick-and-mortar stores for this and other treasures. Unfortunately the only used CD store in my area is Wherehouse, which is about as shoddy a used CD store as possible.

Chuxie,

I bet anything I could find another RotLA soundtrack on CD for you. There are a bunch of used CD places near my home I haven't even checked out. If you want I'll scope one out for ya.

JediCole
08-21-2002, 05:18 PM
I too would recommend the soundtrack from one of the finest films ever made, "Empire of the Sun". However, I understand it is currently "out of print", and may be hard to find.
I had long wanted a copy and finally sought it in the environs of the eBay empire. I was fortunate to have won a copy from a seller in Canada for about $20.00 U.S. including the shipping, so I was quite pleased.
In fact I think I will go pop it in the old CD player right now! But that will mean I will have to take out the "o Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack! Oh agony!
But as to the film that inspired Williams' themes, I also highly recommend this movie if you have not seen it, one of Spielburg's best. It is in JediCole's top 100 films, a list which I will post once I've reconfigured it to include new and recent arrivals on the (forgive the star wars toy site themed pun) cinema scene such as Signs and Spider-Man.

El Chuxter
08-29-2002, 02:42 PM
Again, gracias all.

JediCole, I'm not sure if Empire of the Sun has come back into print, or if my local CD store has had a copy sitting on its shelves for a while. In any case, based on several recommendations (and the track "Cadillac of the Skies," which appears on the Best of John Williams), I picked it up last night. Definitely one of my new favorites.

MC, I've got ROTLA taken care of. A friend of mine is going to let me copy his CD, which should tide me over until the SE re-release, which I'm hoping will bring a new, expanded soundtrack. Thanks anyway--I really appreciate the offer.

derek, I forgot to mention before that I got LOTR:FOTR several months ago (a couple of days before the Oscars, and I was still lucky enough to get a Gandalf cover). Very good stuff. I've not seen Band of Brothers, since I don't have HBO, but I'll see if I can download some clips from it somewhere or (more likely) just rent the DVDs.

Now for my addition. One of my friends recommended The Fury very highly, saying it was a dark score and he hoped SW:E3 had the same kind of sound. So I ordered it off Varese Sarabande's website (it's a limited edition and can only be bought directly from them). I have to say it is on par with SW, HP, Empire of the Sun, and Hook. If you're interested, the website is http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp?pid=vcl%2D0702%2D1011%2D2. Very highly recommended.

Mar10Sir
08-29-2002, 03:38 PM
Make way! Huge John Williams fan here! So much that he inspired me to study music. Haven't scored any movies yet, hehe :) but at least I've done a few scores for the PR Symphony Orchestra.

My favorite Williams scores to date are the original Jaws, Close Encounters, Superman (I) and Raiders scores (the desert chase is amazing), the Phantom Menace (gotta' love the Duel of the Fates) and Schindler's List. This last one is the most sublime I've heard from him, really.

Others he's made besides those mentioned here are Always, Amistad and The Patriot. I think he also did the Poseidon Adventure back in the aearly 70's.

Anyways... Williams is THA MASTEH!!!! He rules! But there are other fine composers that you might try listening to if you're into film music. Some pretty good ones (with recommendations) are:

James Horner - Willow, Star Trek II, Braveheart, Titanic
Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek VIII
Alan Silvestry - Back to the Future, Forrest Gump
Hans Zimmer - Gladiator, the Prince of Egypt
Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings (amazing choral textures)
Eric Serra - The Fifth Element (nice mix of classical and pop orchestration)

Another cool score is the one for Bram Stoker's Dracula by Wockciej Killar or something like that. Can't really remember his name, sorry.