PDA

View Full Version : non-completist collectors Sound Off!

vulcantouch
08-19-2002, 11:16 PM
(i'd previously done this thred on the potj forum, but since potj's defunct, and hazbin saga and potj remain separate, i guess i'll just restart it here with a link (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=390) to the original :)
the title sez it all: even completists can't claim they think All the figures are Truly cool enough to collect (hell, i consider myself a completist scifi mm ship collector but even I didn't bother w/battle-damaged fighters, half the galaxy voyagers or men in blacks, or the speederbike w/rebel). so, let's hear which ones you think truly Are cool enough (or, if you collect most of em, which few Aren't) :)
personally, out of the ~400 figs released so far i've only considered a couple dozen cool enough for Collection VT. for whatever reason all my picks are droids, soldiers, helmeted freelancers and a Few aliens. but there are a few modern-era figs i Woulda gotten if hasbro hadn't done such a Dorky job on em, such as beru's treadwell, r5d4, r2r9 (since the only thing i really liked about it was its bright red lightpipe my friend let me remove it from one of the three he owns and installed it in my rocketr2- replacing the latter's dull-blue eye :cool: ), hololeia r2 (cuz its blue nozzle & "computer lights" features were cool), datalink r2 (cuz its accessories were cool), bomaar monk (if they'd based him on the cooler 4-legged design), imp aka deathstar gunner (how'd they manage to dorkify the helmets of both the modern And vintage version of this?? :p ), death star trooper (if he wasn't poopin his pants :p ), '96 and/or '02 reb fleet troopers and Maybe a tusken raider.
my selective collecting extends also to accessories. i swap, remove & add stuff to each figure's arsenal with little regard to film or hasbro canon, and with every regard for what I think looks best with who. after all, if one's gonna be picky, might as well accessorize with the same discrimination :cool:
so anyhoo here's what my collection looks like. all figs & accessories are modern-era (1995+) unless stated VinTage:
custom 'cooler sculpt' jango (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10903&pagenumber=1) w/his usual "six-shooters"
vint fett w/vint hoth rebel gun
'95 fett w/usual gun
sote fett w/'96 reb fleet trooper gun
300fett w/usual guns, but with firing jetpack bullet shortened & topped with more-accurate "dummy" tip :cool:
vint ig88 w/his long gun & vint snowtrooper gun
sote ig88 w/his long gun & monkey-face leia's rifle
potj ig88 w/his gun & red cloney's rifle
vint boussh w/sote boussh helmet & vint weequay staff
red clonetrooper w/biggs' bigg gun
commtech stormie w/potj sandtroop binocs & standard imp blaster (traded away rifle & rifle rack)
vehicle-pack-in atat driver w/vint scouttrooper gun & k3po commpack
tie pilot w/his pistol (got rid of his big gun)
corusguard w/his cool rifle
potj fx7 w/trophy maul binocs (which any of its carousel arms can hold by pressing tip between eyepieces) and boshek's gun (held by injector arm)
ep1 3po
rocket r2
r2b1
r2q5
r4m9 (gave away his stupid mouse droid :p )
droideka
gasgano's pitdroid wearing oom9's antenna & binocs as a backpack
gonk that came w/commtech jawa
barquin dan w/his horn & antennaed g.i. joe "walkman headset" :)
duros w/jawa honker gun & commtech han's holsterable gun
boshek w/gilligan-luke binocs & '95 lando pistol
yummy jabbadancer lyn me :kiss:, w/saelt marae staff
i also have a few droids that i'm unsure whther they qualify for figure status by themselves- you make the call: commtech dv's interrogator, cantina stormie's patrol droid, palpy & ornfreeta's senatecams, zam's/obiwan's assassin droid and the r2 carrycase's rolled-up droideka.
i don't really consider the following true parts of my collection, they're more like leftovers that just warm seats in my ywing, slave 1, tyderium & vidgame falcon cockpit:
the "play feature" jango made from parts left over after i made my "cooler sculpt" jango
sote boussh w/cinema scene nikto staff
i have a part-silver naboo pistol but gave it my 7of9 figure :o i also have a snowtrooper backpack, sometimes atat driver straps it on. also got arvyn crynyd's cool helmet from the reb pilots 3-pak, but i still haven't acquired the right figure to wear it, so for now sote boussh, boshek and pf jango each occasionally don it :rolleyes:
so, who's next? and btw, if any of you also like to custom-accessorize your figs, check out my trade offer (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8625) & maybe we can help each other out :D
vt

Darth Vellner
08-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Seems like you Masicared them good!:crazed:
To each his own....:confused:

I started off as a Completist. But, Never again!

Now I only buy what I want. And,not everything there is!
I have soooooo much Cr@p !!!Why do I need 12 lukes??:confused:

JediTricks
08-20-2002, 02:20 AM
I was a completist until this Saga line, but it totally broke me of that. I have passed on nearly half of the Saga figures so far and it feels great. I have NO place for that Tusken Female, so I saved 5 bucks. There's no room at the inn for Ep 2 Plo Koon, more room for the other 400+ loose figures. If Hasbro continues to make stuff I think is junk, then I'll continue to not buy it.

Adam
08-20-2002, 02:40 AM
I too have recently turned into a non-completist, but not because of the Saga line. I've started collecting choice transformers stuff, and I won't have the money for them if I buy every figure Hasbro spits up.:greedy:

Rogue II
08-20-2002, 07:31 AM
I am not a completist. Starting with the POTF2 line I skipped some of the cinema scenes, vehicles, gunner stations, and the power fx figures.

I only bought a few figres from the Episode I line: Yoda, R2, Darth Maul, Mail away Mace, and preview STAP.

POTJ: I only bought Classic Trilogy characters. The only TPM figures from this line I bought were Tusken Raider and R2. I skipped both TIEs

Saga: I've only bought Bespin Luke, Darth Vader, Djas Puhr, Endor soldier, Emperor's guard, Chewbacca, Endor Han, R2-D2, C-3PO, Yoda, R3-T7, and a Jango Fett(to custom into Boba Fett)

sith_killer_99
08-20-2002, 07:59 AM
I'm with JediTricks, I was a completist (mostly) until the SAGA line hit (or should I say missed).

I am still trying to finish off my POTF2 collection. Here is the basic structure of my collection:

Orange card: ALL
Freeze Frame: ALL
Green card: Any that were NOT released on Freeze Frame cards.
EU: ALL
SOTE: ALL
EP1: ALL
CommTech: ALL
POTJ: ALL
SAGA: ONLY what I like.

I have a few holes here and there, but for the most part that is my collection. Plus my foreign card collection, which is pretty random, Canadian, Italian, European, Mexican, etc.

But SAGA broke me of the "Completist" attitude.

BTW, I do not consider errors and variations as COMPLETE.

Old Fossil
08-20-2002, 08:31 AM
I quit trying the '1 of everything' approach with Episode I. Since then, it's mainly 1 of each figure or ship that I find I MUST have (which is not much these days). I also used to build armies, but I no longer have the room, and settle for 3 or 4 each of the army-builder figs.

I think many people like myself passed on the Saga Plo Koon, Saesee Tiin and Qui-Gon Jinn and others since they were more resculpts of characters many of us already have. I mean, these figures aren't like stamps or collector cards: they take up more space, especially for carded collectors (which I am only rarely). We just don't have the space, and some of us (myself included) don't have the cash to spend.

Being a non-completionist is the only way to go for me. Those with the time and the money may feel differently.

Chiesa
08-20-2002, 08:50 AM
Yea I would go with JediTricks too!! But seriously being a completist is really very very difficult as its a heavy burden to the pocket!! I just cannot stand it!! SO many figs to buy yet sooo little money...

Basically I just get what I like from the saga line... I think some of the best figs there are Anakin TA, JSP Obi Wann and perhaps Bespin Luke... I'm not really into army building except for the present clonetroopers and stormtroopers :)

Cheers :D

Rogue II
08-20-2002, 10:08 AM
I forgot a couple things.

First, I forgot some figures in the POTF2 line came on different cards. I only bought one version of each figure. I don't know off the top of my head which cards my figures came on since I open them. I could look in my box of cardbacks, but I'm sure no one else cares either :D. Card variations don't concern me.

EU: Thrawn only
SOTE: Leia in Boussh disguise only

OriginalBryGuy
08-20-2002, 12:33 PM
When the figures started appearing in '95 I began my collection. I had always been a big fan of GI Joe as a kid so I didn't have any real Star Wars figs.

The Falcon started me off, then the figures came next. I'd love to be a completist, but frankly it would just be:

A. Too time consuming to collect ALL the variants
B. Cost way to much money to go back and get all the vintage figures.

So, in my view if you call yourself a "hardcore" completist it might be a futile move to be it if you had little time or money! haha..

Since '95 I've gotten many figures, searched out many stores, and have a great collection of figures both new and vintage, everything MOC. =D If unique figures come a long, I'll grab them if I can, but I don't cry if I don't. ToyFair Vader...25th R2...yea...I'd love to have one, but I don't have the cash so it's no biggie.

I can't call myself a completist, but I strive to be a hardcore completist a little more every day. :D

billfremore
08-20-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm not a completist because:

1. There are just some figures that I'd never buy because they're not exceptionally cool, e.g.: Saga Battle Droid

2. I can't freaking afford it. I prefer to spend some of my money of food and rent occasionally :D

3. I can't find everything. Why the heck should I get gouged on e-bay for a Y-wing fighter by some guy who has 10 of them just to make money with.

4. Variants are stupid. Who freakin' cares if my Endor Han has a grey, white or fuschia droid caller? Not me.

I'm happy with my collecting habits the way they are

Rogue II
08-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I'm not a completist because:

1. There are just some figures that I'd never buy because they're not exceptionally cool, e.g.: Saga Battle Droid

2. I can't freaking afford it. I prefer to spend some of my money of food and rent occasionally :D

3. I can't find everything. Why the heck should I get gouged on e-bay for a Y-wing fighter by some guy who has 10 of them just to make money with.

4. Variants are stupid. Who freakin' cares if my Endor Han has a grey, white or fuschia droid caller? Not me.

I'm happy with my collecting habits the way they are

The are the same reasons I am not a completist. I'll also add that I don't have the room for them. There is also no way I can keep everything in thier packages without them getting damaged since I move every 2 years or so.

OriginalBryGuy
08-20-2002, 01:08 PM
Yea, I'm happy enough to find the figures I want. There's no way I could ever "collect them all" at this point.

Jargo
08-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Couldn't possibly be a completist in the UK considering the great Star Wars figure drought of 2000. A collector would be hard pushed to complete in the UK unless they're prepared to pay veeeeeeeeery high prices for stuff.
I never saw anything like the gunner stations from the POTF2 line or the expanded universe stuff. the beasts were few and far between and to this day I've never seen with my own two eyes an actual han and Tauntaun or Wampa and Luke. Tons of other stuff made in short quantities or fanclub exclusives I had no chance to buy until recently when I got hold of a credit card so i could shop online and buy from the US. but I'm basically priced out after shipping on toip so there is no way I'll eve complete the entire collection just have a stab at finishing parts and getting the nice stuff.

Mostly, I buy for the accessories and body parts for customising if there's more than one version of a character in the same outfit like Anakin. I only needed one but the other versions had cool accessories like the slice and dice Geo warrior so I got them anyways and tossed the anakin figures into the customising bin for ron... lateron :)

I do build armies though - just very small ones.
Generally I take stock of what's coming out and prioritise it all so there's a four tier system of preference when shopping.

'A' list items I'll bite your arm off to get hold of and fight in the toy aisles for the thing.

'B' list items are what I'll buy when there's no a list stuff around that day.

'C' list items are just poopy and I'll only buy them when I have everything else I want and/or they hit clearance. If i want them at all that is.

'D' list items are multiples like rebel soldiers and imperials and suchlike. The 'D' list is the one I give my partner 'P' so that should my partner 'P' feel like treating me to a figgie or two as is often the case, I only end up with useful stuff not multiples of Padme arena or something stupid. I got my super battle droid and royal guard multiples that way :) Juno bless my beautiful lovely partner 'P'. :happy:

U.K.BOY
08-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Couldn't find the POTF2 Gunner Stations ?.Major Ppeg warmers in my neck of the woods.

As for Luke Wampa, lost count of the amount of times I have seen these for 15 or less at various fairs (AFAIK the second wave of beast packs, ie both Tauntauns and Wampa never hit UK retail).As for Han Tauntaun, got lucky from a trade for one and bought two from if I remember correctly Toymaniacs for $20 a chuck.

Expanded Universe has never been a problem, so many people don't consider it Star Wars that it was pretty easy to pick these up for weeks/months after initial retail hit.SOTE was around for 2-3 years after release (even at TRU retail).

Many items have been bought by me from the U.S. and Hong Kong but pretty much everything you could want is also available through top dealers such as R2DToys.com who have always done me proud.

Feel free to contradict anything that you don't agree with, as I know these things tend to vary by region, especially since I was able to pick up a 12" pinhead Boba Fett from Nottingham TRU about three years after release since no-one up there wanted it, and considering the prices these things fetch now, I scored a bargain, simply by asking TRU to locate it and send it to my local store !!!!!!.

UKBOY.

Sinister Lord
08-20-2002, 05:54 PM
I stopped trying to be a completist after the Expanded Universe figures came out (or should I say, came and went? I never saw any of those in any store!). I just learned to accept that I was never going to have every figure that Hasbro was putting out, nor did I need to have them. Eventually I got some of those EU figures from the fanclub... but I never returned to my old habit of trying to get every figure. Having every figure leads to redundancy in a collection... and that is something I'm working toward eliminating. Aside from Stormtroopers, Battle Droids, Clones, etc, which are good to have in multiples, because they appear in multiples in the films... I'm moving away from having more than one of anything... so things like the new Ki-Adi-Mundi, the new Luke's X-Wing and the new Luke's Landspeeder? I won't be getting them... they are redundant. I already have them in some earlier version.

OriginalBryGuy
08-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Yea, for all the complaining we do here in the states, I'm sure collecting here is easy compared to finding stuff overseas.

But then distribution everywhere seems to be so hit or miss, I think most of us are in the same boat.

The Overlord Returns
08-21-2002, 12:13 PM
I've never even contemplated being a completist. There are certain figures you'd have to PAY me to actually put in a collection. Besides, I have too many other lines that I also selectively collect from, so there's no hope in hell of all my money going toward Star wars figures.

So far, I've passed on all the saga figures, save these:

Dexter Jettster
Clone Trooper
Senate Guard
Count Dooku
Yoda
Anakin TA
Jango Fett Kamino
Boba Fett
R2

everything else isn't worth my money...well....except maybe shaak ti and luminara....but those are easy to find.

Darth Sidious
08-21-2002, 02:36 PM
I am most definitely not a completist. I do not have one Padme yet, becuase I haven't seen one that I liked. I am waiting for the un-ripped white shirt one. More articulation and better sculpting is what I like, which is why I have avoided Padme so far. I only buy figures that I like. Much cheaper, and in my opinion, much more fun. :)

vulcantouch
08-22-2002, 10:40 AM
dv: "I only buy what I want"
ok, but what figs Are those?? tell us- & that goes for the resta you too :)

jt, sk99 etc: why would saga break you of completism? seems to me that with saga's combo of package design (cool card graphic, and a big enough standard bubble to hold a bomaar monk! ), added value (more accessories, and dropping the price a buck or so in many cases) and no costly unwanted junk (ffs, commtechs or flashback slides anyone?? ), the line's better-executed than it's ever been :)
anyhoo, i think owning the classic Action Figure Archive book's a great salve for Any impulse to be a completist :) just so long as they eventually come out with a volume 2 of it :) so far all i see of what's upcoming that i might get is r3-d3, rx-24, silver25 r2 and definitely a clone pilot (in fact, if he's cool enough i might replace my narrow-helmeted red cloney with him ;) ). other than that, i guess i'll be savin my $$ for if/when they bring back mms :)
vt

JetsAndHeels
08-22-2002, 12:28 PM
I started as a completist, and I stayed that way upto when POTJ was released. I was running out of cash and the figures were still coming. It didn't matter if I had the other 10 sculpts of that Darth Maul or whatever, I still got it.
Now that the SAGA line has been released, I am definately NOT a completist anymore. I have come to realize that I will never own every figure, and I could never afford to anyway.
Besides, there are other things that I spend my money on anyway, like the new He-Man figures, DVD's, etc.

sith_killer_99
08-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Simply put...

Gimmicks

Master Goeweins
08-22-2002, 02:17 PM
When the figures first started coming in 95, I was on it. I wanted everything possible. That was a long time ago. When I saw that they were beginning to release the same characters done better, I knew that I didn't have to put up with mediocre attempts. I find it pretty hard to pass up any Jedi, even if it's a rerelease. Opening them makes me feel like a kid all over again. But, as for the rest, only quality (or clearance sales) get rewarded with a purchase.

Of course, this excludes the feeling I get at the midnight release of the new figures for the upcoming movie. I went crazy for TPM figs that night, and I went even crazier for the ATOC figs this time.

Jargo
08-22-2002, 03:52 PM
Steve Sansweet's credit card bill must be horrendous if he collects all the variants and errors too on top of every single item released plus the extra releases in different countries and the exclusives and promotionals and hardcopies and ...... everything.
Must be a hell of a salary to afford all of that........ :happy:

sith_killer_99
08-22-2002, 07:02 PM
I am NOT convinced!!:rolleyes:

JediTricks
08-23-2002, 02:48 AM
VT, I hate the new packaging design, it seems generic and not well-designed, just kinda slapped together.

As for "added value", there isn't any - neither perceived nor literal - that I can see; these aren't better quality and they mostly don't have more/better accessories. And the pack-ins were tokens, they cost Hasbro almost nothing, they were simply to add "perceived value" any time they had to jack up the price - not exactly a new routine though, Kenner pulled this with the vintage SW figs w/ coins for the same exact reason.

As for "better-executed", that is the heart of why the line broke me of being a completist, I feel this line is NOT better-executed, the execution is poorer than the POTJ line in terms of quality of materials, paints, figure design, and these stupid gimmicks. "Gimmicks" seems to be what Hasbro is all about this year, with the Saga line and now the Transformers:Armada line being gimmick-themed rather than design-themed in a vein attempt to get back the kiddie market they let slip through their fingers over the past few years; and what figures aren't gimmick-themed are far too often designed around a singular pose that disallows almost any other possible pose, I hate "statue-itis" in action figures, it's what got me to stop buying McFarlane figures, Marvel Toy Biz figures in the late '90s (Toy Biz Marvel lines were often both statue-masters AND gimmick-masters), and now this Saga line is losing me. The quality control at Hasbro is in the toilet on SW figures these days, and the line seems to be refocusing on endless rehashes of gimmicked figures into new gimmicks rather than better designs -- Hasbro should be ashamed of this line IMO, it's breaking hardcore collectors of completism every day.

sith_killer_99
08-23-2002, 06:31 AM
Well said JT.

I much prefered the POTJ line. It is, IMHO, the best line to date. It may have had a few distribution problems from time to time, but Hasbro eventually made up for it. The R2-Q5 wave, which was SOOO hard to find a year ago was re-shipped a few months back and I can still find Jar-Jar, Lando and Tessek warming pegs. In fact the ONLY wave I have had a hard time with from POTJ is the Queen Theed Invasion wave.

Not bad considering the problems with EP1 distribution.

Not only that, but the POTJ case assortments actually made sense. If there were 4 figures to the wave Hasbro packed 3 of each, and vice versa. None of that "Short Packing" garbage. Some people STILL haven't found SAGA Yoda or Dooku!:eek:

Every time I pick-up one of these "gimmick figures" I feel like I'm gonna break the thing. Plastic gears and springs just do not belong in a 4 inch line!

JEDI PARATROOPER
08-24-2002, 10:54 AM
I generally purchase two of every figure and open one, except for the SOTE junk and EU. I don't go for variations of the same figures, unless its a big change, like the clean/dirty Scout Troopers. I'm more selective with 12" because of space, and I buy and open every vehicle/playset.

plo koon 200
08-31-2002, 07:25 PM
I am somewhat of a completist but that new Yoda and santa C-3po are horrendous. I don't know if I can continue to collect. And I thought this year offered a lot of crap. Next year looks worse. The only thing that is probably worth buying next year is the Anakin w/mechanical arm.

Scackmgack
09-01-2002, 03:06 PM
I guess I was a "completist" when POTF2 first hit the scene, but in the last few years I've begun showing a little more discernment. For one, I also collect Mobile Suit Gundam stuff. For another, I also enjoy buying DVDs and games for my PS2, so I have to spread my "pee-away" money around to different collections.

I used to think that to have a really enviable collection (not that I had anyone to show it off to to make envious of) you had to have everything, like every rare piece. I once spent $50 to get the Micro Machines set that had the Scimitar Assault Bomber. Then again, I have a weakness for starfighters.

Now, the way I look at it, I only get what pieces I really want for the collection. Both what I choose to buy and choose NOT to buy is what makes it unique as MY collection. I'm not concerned with how it measures up to anyone else's anymore. All that matters is that *I* am happy with it.

droidekas2
09-01-2002, 03:55 PM
I am a not a completist. I buy only figures that I like, that are well done. Mostly, the exciting things like aliens, droids, and weird humans. As a kid, that is what I liked most and still do.
I wait off on the main guys like Luke, Han, Jango, etc. until the first maybe 6 versions of them come out and then pick the one I like best to add to my collection. Various trooper figures I buy multiples of, mostly troops of the Empire since they are helmeted and all look alike. Human troops that all look the same dont do it for me.
Background humans I will buy if they interest me.
Cant stand all the new gimmicks and the funky stances. I will not buy them and wait until a "calm" version comes out later. I can wait.
Hell, some of us have been waiting for certain figures for 20 years, YARNA, anyone??

gibbspaulus
09-02-2002, 05:51 AM
Well, I'm a wannabe completist but then I get too picky. I passed up on Deluxe Ani this weekend as he was a horrible resculpt of a figure I have twice already. I cannot afford to buy figures and ships, although I got the first two Ep II ones. The last regular ship I picked up was the POTF2 snowspeeder!

And I refuse to buy dodgy Cantina aliens who I don't remem,ber seeing!

DahrJin
09-03-2002, 08:56 AM
I only buy what I like. Not just figures either.

I used to be a full on completist, but these days you'd have to be rich just to keep up. ;)

vulcantouch
09-21-2002, 11:36 AM
so, some of you don't buy when it's just a resculpt. but sometimes you make exceptions when the new sculpt is superior to previous ones, eh? which is nearly always, which is so annoyin ain't it :p

jt et al: i kinda dig the "generic slapped together" saga packaging, it's the best design since vintage's black/chrome disco design. the blue looks better & makes a lot more sense for sw than potj's green (as if sw was an "environmentalist" franchise like captain planet? :rolleyes: ) Or episode 1's red (as if sw was spawn? :rolleyes: ), just as galoob's blue ep1 packaging looked way better than their mcquarrie-designed, orange&grey "vent" packagins :)
i'm ambivalent about statue-itis, mosta the time it's annoying but occasionally, as w/300fett or lyn me, i end up diggin the results a lot more than i woulda expected :cool:

gibbs: "I refuse to buy dodgy Cantina aliens who I don't remember seeing"
-to me esoterica is a plus rather than a minus. i can't be bothered w/han or luke, but i love how much effort the boshek, r4m9 or duros represents to toy-translate a character that had all of 5 seconds of screen time. such eloquent totems of collector fanatacism :cool:

scackmgack: "I have a weakness for starfighters"
-might that mean you don't need the other xclusive mm ship(s) that came in the scimitar set? if so, be in touch, maybe we arrange some kinda trade :)

looks like i'll want startour r4m9 too :p and add the probot (mod And vint) to the list of figs i didn't score cuz it was executed so Lame :p meanwhile, where can we view a chronological (by release date) list of past, current & upcoming figs complete w/pix? this alphabetical business makes quik consultations unnecessarily difficult for a casual non-completist like myself :(
vt

InsaneJediGirl
09-23-2002, 08:25 AM
I've refused to be a completist because:

1)Short on cash,so there is no reason in getting a figure I dont need or want or like.

2)Prices-The Saga prices are fine,I had a hard time in the beginning with EP1 figures though,considering in my area they cost $7-9 until the clearance hit.

3)Space-I dont have a large room,so buying everything would be a joke.I'd have no place to sleep!

4)Most recently the gimmicks.I dont mind Dooku or Zams gimmicks,but when you get into things like the C1 Padme and Anakin,its horrid.

5)Finally..the reason I am not a completist is stress.My area seems to get everything last,and I have a hard enough time
finding what I want,let alone everything.Its been 4-5 months since the release of the Saga toys and I have yet to see a Yoda.:(

vulcantouch
12-12-2002, 12:20 PM
2 additions to my non-com collection:
scored clonepilot for $2.99 :cool: like his helm more than red clone's but prefer red clone's red body markings & superior articulation so i might boil-pop swap their heads to consolidate fave features of each onto one. diff neck thicknesses might make it problematic though (cuz of pilot's up-down pivot), so any advice welcome :)
i dig pilot's helm sculpt despite the fact that pkg's head-shot closeup makes numerous inaccuracies obvious. not sure why every copy i've seen lacks evenly-printed republic forehead logos, but i'll bet using "ziptone screening" (depicting the logo with patterned dots) didn't help. they shoulda stuck with tampo technique like they did for tiepilot or atatdriver logos. also disappointed w/chest control paintjob, cuz they coulda made it as detailed as, say atat driver's :( coulda done without his gunpowder-flecked weathering, it's distracting & unconvincing so i might just rub it all off. gave his stremalined pre-imp blaster to my tie pilot cuz imo it suits him better, and replaced it with a light-blue g.i. joe pistol from the 80s that has a vented muzzle and ribbed barrel. but i like his firing ball-turret & joysticks so i spose i'll keep those :)
also got the spider droid & pod debris from teemto for $2.99 (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=201258#post201258) :) pleasantly surprised cuz from net preview pix it looked too skanky like it was yoda's dagobah gardener :p woulda been nicer if underside was painted more & maybe had a camera lens or two but i still dig it, especially its grabby action :cool: as for its dented mushroom head (from its diameter being a bit too large for standard saga's bubble), i'll just fix that w/hot water :) did anyone here know that its design, much like the probot, was inspired by moebius?
i'm keeping the impressively-executed pod debris too, cuz it's surprisingly well thought-out for a throwaway piece of background junk. it's just detailed enough, just beat-up enough, just metallic enough and just greasy-grimy enough to be deftly convincing :cool:
it goes w/out saying that i've no interest in the dopey, goggled teemto figure, so if anyone wants to trade. . . (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16224) :)
vt