PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your figures?

OriginalBryGuy
08-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Mine are MOC, but in plastic tubs, comic bags, with backing boards.

So how about you? On the wall, in a display, packed away carefully?:D

hango fett
08-20-2002, 02:12 PM
on the wall with nails to hold them up. surpirisingly, only 1 figure has ever been damaged that way...our tatooine anikan form EI.
h
they are all MOC, BTW...

patchiswelsh
08-20-2002, 02:14 PM
i open all mine so i put them in arena scenes
just need that playset!!!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-20-2002, 02:18 PM
All my MOC figures are in a box. Each box fits about 16 figures. As for my loose figures, all my POF2 figure, vehicles, and playsets are in a big green storage box. All my loose E1 and Saga figures are in a shoe box.

plo koon 200
08-20-2002, 02:22 PM
All of my figures are displayed on 7 bookshelves.

thespar
08-20-2002, 02:39 PM
they are boxed up in storage boxes still mounted on cards.

Adam
08-20-2002, 03:07 PM
The ones I have MOC are hanging in my closet. All the other ones that I have freed are hanging out on my desk, a cabinet that used to be part of an entertainment center, and shelves in my closet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2002, 03:22 PM
They are on a bookshelf in ABC order, one shelf for every movie (SOTE shares with ESB, and EU with ROTJ). I have my cinema scenes and beasts on a long shelf over my closet, and my Falcon, Ani's pod, Bespin chamber, speeders, etc. on a shelf over my dresser. My SW LEGO sets (not figures, I know, but I might as well get it all in here) share a bookshelf with my SW books, with my '99 Tricon toys above that. I have some other stuff on the floor, and on the one shelf on my figure bookshelf that doesn't have figures, has my F/X X-wing, F/X figures, etc.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2002, 03:24 PM
I forgot, my MOC figures (Jorg, Tat Ani, and short saber-long tray Dagobah Luke) are hanging above my SW beanie buddies, above my PEZ, next to my EI Accessory Packs, on my Galoob playsets.

JangoFart
08-20-2002, 03:54 PM
I have about 385 MOMC figures and all are in plastic protector cases. Some are in Star Cases; some are in Star Case 2's (AOTC figures); some are in Protectors. This includes all 2-packs, Deluxes, and mini's except the Power F/X figures, as I can't find a case that fits them.

The Protector comes from www.jakestoychest.com and are the BEST for all EP1, POTF2, and vintage figures. The Star Cases (1 and 2) are cheapest from www.stores.ebay.com/id=328759 and are best for AOTC and Star Tours figures. Jake's also has SLU protectors which fit nearly all Deluxe and 2-packs. The "Doubles" cases from Jake's fit the SOTE 2-packs (Vader/Xizor and Fett/IG-88).

All of my boxed items which are not on display are in cardboard office supply boxes.

I recommend these plastic protector cases for anyone who keeps their figures on-card. They all have hanging tabs, if you're a hanger, and they keep dust, etc., off your goodies.

J

JangoFart
08-20-2002, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah, why don't some of you slap some pics of your stuff up in this thread?

J

OriginalBryGuy
08-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah, why don't some of you slap some pics of your stuff up in this thread?

Who me, or anyone? heh heh...that is a decent idea. If you want post a link to your pics...

I'm in the process of getting some of mine...if anyone's interested. heh heh...

JediBoulton
08-20-2002, 04:15 PM
All of my figures are MOMC and kept in these plastic tubs that you see at Wal-Mart for about $5. These hold quite a few figures at a time and they dont seem to get bent all to heck. The 12" collection is stashed in Copy Paper boxes and are stored in the closet along with the MOMC figures. Now, as far as the SAGA collection -- these figures are hanging in my office around my PC. ALong with my posters, Legos, Jango Fett Dart guns, Lightsabers, etc. I DO have the coolest office at work !!!

Rogue II
08-20-2002, 04:21 PM
I have some displayed on a shelf

Some on my desk

Some in the talking C-3PO carry case

Some in the Millenium Falcon Carry case

and the rest of my loose figures are in a plastic bin.

The few carded figures I have are in the box my computer monitor came in.

LTBasker
08-20-2002, 04:34 PM
I've got loose figures on displays, in carry cases, in other boxes, it's crazy. My Saga carded figures are up on a shelf in my closet currently waiting for me to get some case boxes from Wal-Mart to store them in. Room's just not big enough to hang a line I have no idea how many figures it's gonna have. Currently I've got my POTJ carded figures hanging up, I was thinking about getting starcases for them and the 16 Saga background variants and hanging those up along with the preview figures, accessory sets, etc.

fourtwo
08-20-2002, 05:16 PM
on a shelf, in my room.

tagmac
08-20-2002, 06:12 PM
Loose, but in plastic storage cases, each in it's own drawer.

Sinister Lord
08-20-2002, 06:25 PM
I have the bulk of my collection on four shelves (six feet wide, one foot deep), one shelf for each: ESB, Prequels, ROTJ,and ANH. Most of my stuff is open and set up in action scenes with lots of figures, Jabba's Palace, the Cantina, the battle of Hoth, arena battle, etc. I keep a few things in packages, but I open almost everything these days. I have some duplicate POTF2 stuff that I have in storage, but I am going to trade or sell a lot of that stuff soon. I'm not as interested in keeping stuff in the packages anymore, it takes up too much room that way. It looks so much cooler when you take all the figures out of the packages and put them together in a big fight scene. For most of the ones I know I'm not going to trade or sell there really is no point in keeping them in the packages unless there is something particularly appealing about the way it looks in the package. My favorite style of package is the orange POTF2 card, so I keep some of those packaged, because I like the way it looks.

Old Fossil
08-20-2002, 09:18 PM
I currently have eight glass shelves in my study:

(1) Cantina Patrons & Modal Nodes, Jawa Mob & 2 Rontos;
(2) ANH;
(3) ESB;
(4) ROTJ;
(5) Jundland Wastes Encounter: Sandtrooper Patrol (2 Dewbacks) & Tusken Raider party (2 Banthas) (many loose figs here);
(6) TPM;
(7) AOTC;
and
(8) empty

My 12" figures (including Star Trek) are stored in a bleach box. Most of my ships are too big for the glass shelves, so I keep them in a box w/a few older carded figures. Most of the carded figures are in Protecto-Packs, lined up at the back of each wall shelf, making for an attractive background for the displayed figures (the protectors stand up pretty well). Various other figures, mostly duplicates and embarrassing purchases (monkey-face Leia, etc), are boxed and awaiting their doom.

The most attractive cards to me are the Freeze Frame POTF2 and the Power of the Jedi.

Strangely, though my main interest is Classic Trilogy figs, the most attractive shelves are the AOTC and TPM. AOTC has all those Jedi brandishing their sabers, which is cool, and the three Jango versions together.

I like glass, because it really allows attention to focus on the figures, and just looks classy, unlike the rest of my study, which is an wilderness of books and electronics.

ajaugie1
08-20-2002, 09:49 PM
All my loose figures are in zip lock sandwich bags in a plastic container under my bed. Has anyone had a bad experience with the plastic bags?

Darth forb1us
08-20-2002, 10:43 PM
well, since Im moving very soon, everything is packed up in boxes lol! :p
before this.. MOC are hanging on a wall. have some push tacks (from a shoe store: anti-theft devices, just the pins not the tags)
and the cards are hung on the pins.
the paint in this place, is acrylic (sticky) so i had a piece of black coatliner fabric (girlfriend into that stuff) hanging up, under the cards, backdrop sort of, to keep them protected from the paint to.
looked nice on the black background :p

anything open was on my 2 "hutch" shelves, 6' shelves that the tophalf was half the width of the shelf, and the bottom half was the whole width.. hard to explain, but you could fit a decent size fishtank, on the "middle". they each have 5 shelves that 2 are about 8" deep, and the bottom 3 are about 16" deep. roughly 2' wide
I have 3 glass stereo cabnets as well. (house my G1 transformers, puter, and miniatures..)
in the future I will have diorama's setup, as well as ships hanging from the ceiling <-- maybe.
also, at a friend of a friend's house, there was a really nice glass shelf setup, quite small, was lit, and had a glass front "window" and glass shelves. wood made up the rest, was really really nice. could house some pretty little vintage guys :p
would have to make, or get one though (wouldnt be too hard to do either)
well, I work early and must sleep, however I think that covers everything :p might edit tomorrow, if needbe :)

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Loose, piled in a box, accessories all jumbled together.

Although I do have two fishing tackle boxes which hold about 12-24 figures each (the compartments are big enough to double stack the smaller figures). I use those for my favorite figures, everything else gets tossed into an old mailing box.

TylerD
08-21-2002, 01:42 AM
Same with me darth 4b1us, I too am moving very soon, so a lot of my stuff is in carboard boxes...

gsr-jedi
08-21-2002, 02:18 AM
I've got them hanging from push pins all over open space in my walls. The boxed sets are in my closet for now, until I find space to put up a shelf. My loose figures are on my entertainment center posed.

http://98ssbgsr.tripod.com/starwars.htm has pics of my collection

evenflow
08-21-2002, 07:07 AM
I store them in the cases they are shipped in. Seems to work. I used to bag them, but found that it sometimes can cause some damage.

Darth Detori
08-21-2002, 10:08 AM
my room: I've got a huge bookcase headboard FILLED with them, mostly POTF2 stuff, then the walls are covered in Episode I with the commtech OT as well and some POTJ. I took down the doors of my closet and now have boxes among boxes from vehicles as well as the vehicles themselves piled atop each other. On the highest shelf in my room I have all my boxes of stuff from up to EI. I've got about ten vehicles hanging on threads from the ceiling or the wall. They're on top of my TV stand thing, they're on my dresser, they're on top of this big chest.
Computer: the entire desk is absolutely appaulingly filled with Episode II figures- the whole lower section actually. On top of my moniter now are Jango and Maul unleashed. I've also got tons of McFarlane thrown about and some anime figures (Monev the Gale for instance: hugest figure ever), as well as movie stuff (I've got the Mr. Blonde and Marvin Nash two pack scene in the corner from Reservoir Dogs).
all in all I am ENTIRELY out of space

OCB
08-21-2002, 10:55 AM
All my figures have been put away since my son is now close to crawling...they are all loose and stored in fishing tackle boxes...
http://spm.imageg.net/@v=0059@/graphics/product_images/p615947dt.jpg

The smaller ones, not the big blue one 9lathough I ahve one of those to store all of my paints, brushes and loose heads and limbs ;)

LusiferSam
08-21-2002, 12:54 PM
I set the little suckers free only pop them into large rubbermaid containers

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2002, 03:39 PM
I just stack my carded figures in those 30 gallon Sterlite containers you can get at WM or Target. I also have my other SW memorabilia stored in those containers when I'm not displaying them.

For the Saga figures I ran out of storage containers so I got some empty boxes that they were shipped in on 4/23 and I just store them in those for right now.

My vintage figures are either in ziploc bags or in my DV carrying cases.

aikman
08-21-2002, 04:42 PM
I buy old vader cases and stuff as many figs in as i can.
Not the best way but I like doing it 'old school' ;)

Sinister Lord
08-21-2002, 04:44 PM
I really dislike the way the Saga figures take up so much room in the package... it's like for every Saga figure, it takes twice as much room to store it as the previous figures from POTF2, EPI, and POTJ. I think Hasbro made a mistake in increasing the size of the bubble.

LTBasker
08-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Sinister Lord
I really dislike the way the Saga figures take up so much room in the package... it's like for every Saga figure, it takes twice as much room to store it as the previous figures from POTF2, EPI, and POTJ. I think Hasbro made a mistake in increasing the size of the bubble.

The point of the increased bubble size is to keep one standard size so they can fit more into one bubble, but keep it near the same size, plus pack more in when they can. It's hard to store the POTJ Deluxe figures, how would you like to try to store Ephant Mon which takes up the whole bubble, when you'll be able to stack him right with the rest of the basic Saga figures?

They don't take into account storage, because they figure people will either display them or open them, the only thing they really worry about on bubble size is packing them in cases. Which I'm sure you could get the empty case boxes if you asked nicely at Wal-Mart.

OC47150
08-21-2002, 05:22 PM
I have six 30-gallon storage bins full of figures still on cards. Rare, hard to find and autographed figures are kept in comic book pages in my display area.

Sinister Lord
08-21-2002, 06:49 PM
LTBasker, I understand the purpose of the bigger bubble in some cases, like Dexter, Chewy and Luminara... but in many, many instances the increased size is unnecessary. Figures like Han, Zam, Palpatine, Jango, Boba, Battle Droid, Endor Soldier, R2-D2, etc. are not packed with many extra accessories which would justify the larger bubble. These figures are no larger than the earlier POTF2 and POTJ figures. In my opinion the larger bubble is a waste of space in a lot of instances... too many instances to justify the entire line of toys being packed that way. I think it was a mistake for Hasbro to change the entire toy line to a larger bubble design. I think they should have left it the way it was and just made larger bubbles for the ones that really required it.

It doesn't matter that much to me, since I open almost everything and toss out the package... but I know that the few that I have kept in the package take up twice as much room as my earlier packaged figures. For many collectors, space is a precious commodity... and the new packaging? Well, it eats up space very quickly. I feel bad for those collectors who keep a lot of stuff in the package because the Saga line of toys is going to kill them on space eventually. It may not seem like that big a problem right now... but the longer this continues the more of a problem it will become. For many, many collectors it is a constant battle to find space for everything... and when Hasbro increased the size of the package they just added to the problem and made that battle a lot more difficult for collectors.

macewindu87
08-21-2002, 07:27 PM
i either hang them on my walls or throw them in the closet after i finish looking at them. or if i just get tired of seeing one of the figures so many times.
mace

hango fett
08-21-2002, 07:29 PM
BTW i just put a bunch of star trek stuff away and put some SW stuff that were in those boxes up where the star trek stuff was! it's a tad cluttered, but i'll live.
h

TylerD
08-22-2002, 02:22 AM
Speaking of larger bubbles....and the whole thing about R2, remember the bubble for the POTF2 R2-D2? As small as the little guy himself....kinda neat I think.....

Jargo
08-22-2002, 04:33 PM
I store mine like this.....

Jargo
08-22-2002, 04:36 PM
...and this......

Jargo
08-22-2002, 04:41 PM
......and like this>>>>>

I have room on those shelves for any vehicle because the whole system is modular and totally adjustable every which way. The shelves take a hefty load so weight isn't a problem at all. Any stuff that I can't fit on the shelves I throw in plastic tubs under the shelves or under my bed. That's like the playsets and crappy figures from cinema scenes I didn't like and older badly molded figures that have since been superceded by far superior molds or sculpts. I also store all the figures waiting for ciustomisation in tubs under the shelves. along with vehicles waiting to be strung from the ceiling on 12lb fishing line. :)

BTW, sorry for the bad quality of the images. This camera I borrowed is crappy. Damn AGFA for you that is....! Anyway I think the general idea is what i was communicating rather than an inventory of my collection. The shelving is IVAR from IKEA stores. Very versatile stuff.

hango fett
08-22-2002, 04:50 PM
very nice, jargo! i love that gungan and mos eisly scene! wish we had that kind of space!
hf

Darth forb1us
08-22-2002, 10:30 PM
nice stuff gsr-jedi
I should've taken some pics before I took all my stuff down.
You should see my friends house from Mi holy crap!!!!
hes got 2 rooms filled with moc, hanging on the walls, his humidifier'd (is that a word?) basement holds more stuff.
his attic is full of boxs filled with all sorts of stuff crazy collection!
I forgot about my 6 foot shelf, darkwood with glass inlayed shelving, plus an inset top, i had 12" on top, and vehicles on a few shelves (5 total shelves counting the top)
its nice, future will hold loose figures most likley.
I hope it doesnt get damaged in the move because the spacing both vert, and horizontal are oh so perfect for holding a lot of stuff, without clutter :D

Thrift stores are wonderful for picking up great shelves at a damn good price! (where I got this one, for 10 bucks)

I plan on building some shelving units in the future as well :p

Darth forb1us
08-22-2002, 10:34 PM
nice Jargo!
I really like the shelving. is it one piece, 3 units connecting like that? or 3 seperate units purchased individually? I really really like how the middle one is shaped to fit snuggly with the outter two (if im looking at it correctly) =)

Jargo
08-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Yeah, three connecting units technically, it comes as leg pieces and shelf pieces that peg into the legs. The shelves can be spaced every inch so you can get any height you want. Each piece is sold seperately although the shelves come in 5 packs. The center shelves are more than three feet across at their widest point and all the ordinary shelves are at least 18 inches deep. It's sturdy and you can take the whole thing apart and reorder how the units fir togethr so the two rectangle shelf units could be put together with the corner one at the end.
There's also the smaller size which i have nearest the bed. The part with the phone on it. All the units comein two sizes and the range is immense with drawer units, lighting, cupboards etc. You could do a whole room in it.
I only have a room that's 8 feet by 9 so the space wasn't great and this seemed the most logical way to do it and still have turning room. I've got a bed and an armchair inthe room too so there's really a need to be conservative with how I display.

Oh yeah the cost of the stuff, I paid around 150 for the whole lot but it all varies depending on what you buy. It's all sold seperately so you could build it up in stages. but it's neither cheap nor too expensive and considering that it's all real wood I think it's good value.

Cheap to buy Particle board shelving sags and splits and the veneers look horrible on that. This is all natural untreated wood and smells wonderful. If I have to move it all disassembles and goes down flat, no bulky great monolith stuff to shift. And it's light too.

Did I do a good advert? :stupid:

hango fett
08-23-2002, 08:08 AM
oh, BTW...cool avatar of the sepratist! keep em coming!
h

Darth forb1us
08-23-2002, 10:08 PM
alright cool, I'll have to check that out. They definately optimize the little space it takes up and the smell of untreated wood is nice :D
Might have to hit IKEA when I go out hunting tomorrow, very conveniant to, since TRU is right next door :D

Obi-Don
08-24-2002, 05:46 AM
At this point all my stuff is packed up and the figures are in ziplock bags with thier guns , lightsabers ,ect... We have another baby coming and we have to make room. I will bring them back out when the little is older and I don't have to worry about him/her getting to the stuff. I hope I can hold out that long.

Darth forb1us
08-24-2002, 10:04 AM
hehe congrats and good luck with the baby :)
If you ever have an attack where you must play with/display the figures, there's always 3am to 5am while the youngster might be sleeping :p

JetsAndHeels
08-24-2002, 10:49 AM
I have all of my SAGA figs at my apartment stored in the closet (the ones that are on card). The loose ones I have opened are all displayed on part of my desk and on a table. I have a couple of carded Jangos on the wall.
For all my stuff from EP1 and back, its all stored in the attic of my parents' home. I have all my EP1 stuff in clear rubbermaid bins.
My POTF2 carded figs (freeze frame, holo, etc) are also in bins.
I have my flashback figs in a NIKE box.
My POTJ figs are stored in one of my many Hasbro boxes. I decided to store them in the original case boxes.
My 12 inch and 25 anniversary packs and other miscellaneous items are safe inside cardboard liquor boxes (they are very sturdy and only 5 cents each at the ABC store).
My vehicles and playsets I have sitting on top of one of my rubbermaid bins.

Mar10Sir
08-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Well... about one fifth of my collection was on display on three bookshelves in my office. The lower and longer bookshelf (about 16 feet) held all of my Action Fleet ships and Epic Force figures.

Above it was a shorter shelf with Jabba's Palace diorama with all the creatures (Ishi Tib, Tessek, Barada, etc.), dancers, band members and all next to a bunch of related books (all the novelizations, all the concept design -Art of Star Wars- books, some magazines, etc.). And some other stuff was on display either on another shelf, on my desks, on top of my laser printer and on my office walls (like the Naboo N1 fighter).

Heck! I got visits from all over the campus of people who came into my office just to take a look at all the stuff on display.

Now (after I changed jobs and moved), everythings stored in about six 36" X 24" X 36" boxes until I finish setting up a room for display purposes. Some stuff is loose (in small Ziploc bags) and about one half of my action figures are MOC.

I just discovered that packaging (foam) peanuts will stick to some loose figures' painted parts and become a real pain to remove them so now even the loose ships (specially those painted in dark brown and black colors) are wrapped in plastic and then protected with peanuts.

Sidiously Darth
08-25-2002, 03:46 PM
I store nothing, I open all my toys! Bwaa Ha Ha Ha Haaa!!!!:eek: