PDA

View Full Version : AT-ST With Paploo CONFIRMED!!!!(Pictures)

GNT
10-19-2001, 10:11 PM
Hasbro's Republic News confirmed this set as a TRU exclusive for 2002! To see the pictures and details check it out here (http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnewscontent.cfm?id=288)

Big picture of Paploo loose (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2001/10/img/paploo_bg.jpg)
At-ST loose with Paploo (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2001/10/img/atst_sb_bg.jpg)

Continuing the series of collector favorite vehicles in diorama scenes, Hasbro will be releasing an AT-ST with speeder bike and Paploo the Ewok early next year.

As seen in Return of the Jedi, Paploo's speeder bike joyride distracted the Imperial scout troopers allowing General Solo's team to enter the bunker on Endor.

The AT-ST features stomping legs, a rotating turret, pivoting weaponry, and the cockpit holds one pilot (sold separately), all in diorama packaging recreating the movie scene on the store shelf.

Look for this Hasbro exclusive at Toys R Us early in 2002.

Thoughts?

bigbarada
10-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Very, very cool!!!!:D :cool:

Of course, the prototype figure is just a repainted POTF2 Wicket with a new cowl, but hopefully the actual figure will be better. Oh wait, this is Hasbro we are talking about....:rolleyes:

Wasn't this supposed to come with a Chewie figure also??

GNT
10-19-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Wasn't this supposed to come with a Chewie figure also??

No that was just on the prototype package to see what it'll look like!

SirSteve
10-19-2001, 10:38 PM
Looks very good and it gives the people that didn't get the 95 AT-ST a chance to own one now! The damage look will go great with dioramas.

tessek01
10-20-2001, 01:54 AM
Very cool set. Hope they offer more Ewoks like Paploo.

Tycho
10-20-2001, 02:25 AM
What do I think of this set?

Contact me if you are interested in buying a 1995 / 96 POTF2 ATST, loose, with packaging kept in mint condition (in other words can be repacked), all stickers applied, emptied sheet, instructions, and "Kenner" product booklet included taken fresh out of a really cool, sealed Battle of Endor scene.

Ditto for the description of a 1996 Speederbike with Scout Trooper set, box, stickers, booklet, etc. only I am keeping the Scout Trooper.

(You don't need to move this to Classifieds as I'm probably joking)

BUT WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST CARD PAPLOO for the Force's sake?

Jargo
10-20-2001, 05:48 AM
That's simple, they neded a reason for people to buy a twicew rehashed vehicle. :) They have to justify churning out old product somehow and to do that they include a minor new gimmick. Or they just change the packaging slightly.

I was a bit gutted when I first noticed the wicket head poking through that cool cowl. Obviously it's just a prototype but I don't understand with theses newer Ewoks why Hasbro are making them care bears. I mean theses are are forest savages we're talking about. Hunter gatherers not cute honey eating bears. Where's the aggression? Where's the nable savage? PAH!
That said I like the idea of a non exploding speeder bike and a new figure as a pack in but if it's a pack in, then it's gonna blow. When did Hasbro ever put any care or detail into a pack in figure?
I'll still buy it though, I need another AT-ST for my troops inspired Tatooine diorama. :)

evenflow
10-20-2001, 08:33 AM
I think it is great. I was looking forward to this one. COme we are getting another Ewok. This and the Crahsed Snowspeeder are on the top of my list.

Jargo
10-20-2001, 09:53 AM
Sorry if that sounded totally negative. It wasn't meant to. I'm pleased about the new Ewok but just lamenting that a good opportunity to help reverse the cutesy factor has been missed. The AT-ST looks cool with the moss effect on the feet and up the leg. I always like this vehicle. It was the only one of the vintage ones I had so it's kinda special to me. The speeder bike could lose out with the new all joined up look but then again it might look better for it.
Paploo is a great addition to the Ewok collection as long as they don't stop after Teebo next year. Five ewoks isn't really any kind of threat to the empire is it? More Ewoks please.
I love the cowl on that Prototype. It seems pretty much spot on to me.

See - I'm not negative all the time.... :)

Rollo Tomassi
10-20-2001, 10:44 AM
A repainted, reused mold for the AT-ST. A repainted, reused mold for the speederbike. A repainted, reused mold for the Ewok.... Which means I'll probably buy it...

(sigh) And it's an Exclusive, which means I'll never see it except in online pictures like this one...

Damn you Hasbro.

Ken-Wan Obi-Obi
10-20-2001, 11:50 AM
I have a personal, albeit expensive, rule I adhere to when buying and collecting Hasbro Star Wars toys: "If I buy this silly re-issued ship or re-painted action figure sculpt, it lets Hasbro know I am still interested no matter what it is and they'll keep making stuff and every so often throw in something cool we've never seen - like Ephant Mon or Ellors Madak." The way I see it, everytime I (and everyone like me) buy something like the re-issued AT-ST/Speeder Bike set, it means the Hasbro cycle will continue.

The cycle goes something like this: something old (re-issued AT-ST), something new (Shmi Skywalker), something borrowed (Ewok sculpt re-painted), something blue (as in, that's how I feel every time I hear there's yet another Luke or Han coming - Bacta Tank excluded!). Three out of four in this cycle isn't great. But, after all, it is Star Wars, and in that case, one of four is plenty.

evenflow
10-20-2001, 11:58 AM
Well, that is what we have learned from Habro. That's just the way it is. Another factor, is if we do not buy these, (although i actually like this) we may not get the other vehicles we want. (Shuttle, etc.) Still, like I said earlier I like this peice, as well as the crashed snowspeeder. :)

fletch
10-20-2001, 06:46 PM
I am not terribly impressed with this new set. It looks like the same vehicles that have already been released twice before except they threw a scarf on an Ewok. I will probably buy it though.

jawa9
10-21-2001, 10:29 AM
Can't wait to see the packaging. Since I wasn't collecting when the last ATST came out, I don't have one. The only thing I have to do now is find a place in my colection to put this thing.

sith_killer_99
10-21-2001, 10:40 AM
I am looking forward to getting an AT-ST (FINALLY)!

However, I don't hold much hope for the pack-in "Exclusive figure" as most of them are junk anyway. I guess an Ewok is cool, though I would have prefered another figure to go along with it.

I always thought a Han Solo with removable AT-ST helmet would be cool to have with an AT-ST. Since it is one of the last Han Solo figures Hasbro has yet to produce you would think it'd be a shoe-in!

I already have the speeder bike, but another one for dioramas would be cool, especially since we now have the POTJ Scout Troopers!

I love opening up the ships/vehicles!

GNT
10-22-2001, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by jawa9
Can't wait to see the packaging.

Did you see the prototype box?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-22-2001, 03:37 PM
The Ewok figure is pretty nice looking. Make its eyes any bigger and you could include it in the "precious SW moments" line from Hasbro.

lapork
10-22-2001, 06:39 PM
Finally!!!

It's been almost a year (I think) since I first saw this mock up posted on one of the sites (TK-421), but finally!

Yeeeeeehhaaaaaawwww

Lobito
10-22-2001, 09:16 PM
I'll buy it!!! An AT-ST, a speeder bike and paploo cant do any harm to my collection...on the contrary!!

Now Teebo is coming also...

We still are missing Warok, Romba, Chief chirpa and Lumat. 4 to go hasbro!!

GNT
10-23-2001, 03:59 AM
Also thanks to Sirsteve for posting a link to this thread from within your article you posted :)

Jayspawn
10-24-2001, 02:51 PM
Wohoo!!! And may there be more Ewoks too! I hate to think of what the retail on this sucker is going to be.

GNT
10-26-2001, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Wohoo!!! And may there be more Ewoks too! I hate to think of what the retail on this sucker is going to be.

Maybe looking at a $19.95 - $29.95 price tag, any more than that I'm passing :)

El Chuxter
10-26-2001, 02:32 PM
Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. And I finally get a AT-ST, too!

I'd rather it not be at TRU, since their exclusives are often on the pricey side, but whatever it takes to get this bad boy. :)

Wolfwood319
10-27-2001, 12:24 PM
Bah!

This would be 100 times better if it was a new AT-ST without the stupid walking mechanism.

I already have 3 AT-STs, and it'll take more than another speeder bike and an ewok to get me to buy this latest rehash of an old mold.

Im gonna have to pass on this one me thinks.

Rodian Sniper
10-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Okay...I love ewoks as much as the next Star wars fan...but enough is enough. Every ewok, except Logray, is a remake of Wicket. The ewok 2pack, the Princess Leia and ewok set, and the ewok w/ glider. Hasbro...please take the time to sculpt new ewoks! Even the Mon Calamarian Officer was a remake of another already-existing figure. I mean, with the vehicles I can understand...but the figures...com' on. You can do better. Well...just thought I'd share what's on my mind. Peace and May the Force be with you.

GNT
10-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Rodian Sniper
Okay...I love ewoks as much as the next Star wars fan...but enough is enough. Every ewok, except Logray, is a remake of Wicket. The ewok 2pack, the Princess Leia and ewok set, and the ewok w/ glider. Hasbro...please take the time to sculpt new ewoks! Even the Mon Calamarian Officer was a remake of another already-existing figure. I mean, with the vehicles I can understand...but the figures...com' on. You can do better. Well...just thought I'd share what's on my mind. Peace and May the Force be with you.

All the ewoks all look the same but are just painted differently/different materials used in the movie so I have no problem with Hasbro using the same sculpt as long as they change the colours and add a weapon :)