PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on removable saber blades.

Darth Sidious
08-21-2002, 03:46 PM
What do you think about the removable saber blades? Do you like them? Hate them? Or are you indifferent? I personally hate them. I hate them more than gimmicks. I'm sick of them bending, I'm sick of them breaking, I'm sick of them falling out. Why can't they just give us a handle and an ignited saber? They could stop with the gimmicks and save a bit of money to make normal saber handles. There's my rant, now what do you think?

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2002, 03:49 PM
I don't like them either. My son's DM soft goods blade kept coming out and then finally snapped off in the lightsaber rendering it useless.

I'd also prefer an ignited blade and a handle you can stick on their belts.

Darth Sidious
08-21-2002, 03:56 PM
I'm gald someone agrees with me. Honestly, I am frightened to use Bespin Vader's slashing attack on that walkway piece. I don't think that blade can take much more. And Bespin Luke's blade is permanently bent, which makes it look ridiculous.

jedihunter25
08-21-2002, 03:56 PM
I don't have any problems with mine eccept with Luminara's saber blade falling out- when I don't even touch it. But I'll have to agree with you because Hasbro quality on stability has gone way down hill.

Lord Tenebrous
08-21-2002, 03:59 PM
After years of bent lightsabers, broken lightsabers, weak belt pegs, and now broken lightsaber pegs, I don't know what the best route is anymore.

Maybe metal handles and screw-on blades (edit: also metal), with a clip on the belt (two small holes in the handle to attach it)

TheFrankEinstein
08-21-2002, 04:18 PM
I really love them, myself, ever since that very first Maul Final Duel had one removable beam. I've had trouble with the plastic-hilted removable-beam sabers, but none with the metal (which I prefer anyway). The only alternative I can see that makes everyone happy is every figure coming with an ignited AND sheathed saber (yeah right, Hasbro :D ).

hango fett
08-21-2002, 04:21 PM
i like/dislike them. they break off to easy when you drop them...espacially yoda! they need to make they alot sturdier....
h

evenflow
08-21-2002, 04:21 PM
I would liek to see ignited sabers and just handles with each Jedi.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-21-2002, 04:31 PM
I like these newfangled lightsabers, a lot!

Lord Tenebrous
08-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
The only alternative I can see that makes everyone happy is every figure coming with an ignited AND sheathed saber (yeah right, Hasbro :D ).

The Episode 1 Naboo Jedi (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon) came that way, and it was a pretty nice method. But the paint on the handles always rubs off after a few days. That's another benefit of metal sabers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-21-2002, 04:35 PM
My QGJ Naboo figure's un-ignited saber hilt peg broke off into his belt, but it still looks good if he holds it there, like the picture in the New Essential Guide to Characters.

LTBasker
08-21-2002, 04:40 PM
I love'em. They're perfect for swapping and such for misc. Jedi and just for fun. Only saber I've had trouble with is Nikto's that has a too long peg, but a little shave and it's fine. Hasbro should be a little more careful when packing them I agree, but one thing about the sabers is that it gives them a little more movie-realism, instead of the blades being as thick as the hilts were. Only thing I don't like about the sabers though is the energy blast crap on the bottom, it really makes it looks bad.

pthfnder89
08-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I love'em. They're perfect for swapping and such for misc. Jedi and just for fun. Only saber I've had trouble with is Nikto's that has a too long peg, but a little shave and it's fine.

LTB - it's funny you mentioned the Nikto Jedi; I have also had a problem with him, and only him.:confused;

I have to agree, I really do like them. But I've had plenty of problems with them also. So far, I've had three of the blade pegs break. I'm very careful with all my sabers, and all three times, the figure has been posed on my desk and he fell over onto the lightsaber and the peg broke. This really kind of bothers me.

But I haven't had a single broken peg from any of the metal sabers. They're made out of sturdier material and they're much shorter so they're harder to break.

Really, my biggest complaint is simply that the blades often look crooked, and I'm constantly trying to carefully bend them back straight.

Patient Zero
08-21-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
i like/dislike them. they break off to easy when you drop them...espacially yoda! they need to make they alot sturdier....
h

I guess that I am not the only one having that problem.

plo koon 200
08-21-2002, 05:45 PM
They do break I wish if they were to have removable blades that all the lightsabers were metal or that they had a clip on hilt. That would be much prefered to the plastic ones that come with Luminara and Shak Ti that are almost useless except for swapping blades.

SuperBattleDroid88
08-21-2002, 05:57 PM
I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!! :frus:

Chiesa
08-21-2002, 07:02 PM
So far I do not have any broken blades as perhaps they are on display... But after hearing what you all have said... I'm alittle worried abt my blades now... Thanks for the info!

Cheers :D

Huckleberry Josh
08-21-2002, 07:11 PM
I love the new lightsaber blades. You can set the figure up using a light saber blade or set it up just holding the handle. I don't know , I just like the way you can remove the blade if you choose to. The new ones don't seem any more likely to break than the old ones.

Imperial Monarche
08-21-2002, 07:21 PM
All i have to say is it's about time!!!!!!!!! I love them!!!!!!

macewindu87
08-21-2002, 09:34 PM
they are good in some ways but they become abother once you begin to lose them when they come out of the handle ,and my dog thinks they are delicious.
mace

hango fett
08-21-2002, 09:36 PM
my dog takes one look at my figs and walks away. but in her earlier years she has chewed on a snowtrooper MOC, and ripped half the top off! little brat!
h

macewindu87
08-21-2002, 09:42 PM
that's nothing compared to my dog eating three tubes of super glue, a nail file, and almost a whole box of toth picks. I don't want to mention what else it's pretty disgusting to talk about.
mace

Prince Xizor
08-21-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by macewindu87
that's nothing compared to my dog eating three tubes of super glue, a nail file, and almost a whole box of toth picks. I don't want to mention what else it's pretty disgusting to talk about.
mace

Gee, Thanks for telling us that.:frus:

Prince Xizor
08-21-2002, 10:26 PM
I like the idea of removeable blades, but I don't like the method that Hasbro. I just end up gluing all of the sabers into the handle.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-21-2002, 10:56 PM
The thing I like about them is blade swapping.

Darth Vellner
08-22-2002, 12:15 AM
Sounds like we need a "Lightsabers and Hilts (handles)"Accessories Pack
With all metal Hilts(handles) and a lot of different colored blades

Fixer
08-22-2002, 09:17 AM
I like the concept, but the potential for breakage is just too high. Fortunately, none of mine have broken yet, but I'm one will along the way, and I only display them. I feel sorry for the kids, who've probably busted all theirs by now. I know when I was a kid in the vintage years, I was majorly bummed if something broke when a battle got a little "heated." Fortunately, Kenner would replace anything, no questions asked. I doubt Hasbro would send you a new lightsaber blade.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2002, 11:19 AM
I have a solution, but it's going to sound like a crap sandwich to some people. Switching to the arm-sheathed lightsaber a la vintage OB1, Luke, and DV. That way we'll never lose them or have them break off in their hilts again.

The Peasant Ani design wasn't that bad, so maybe Hasbro should try that for a while instead of the removable blades.

**ducks a ton of rotten tomatoes being hurled by SSG posters**

Darth Sidious
08-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Not a bad idea, but I think they shoud do it like this-They can have the arm sheath, but you can take the sabers out and put them in their hands if you want. I do not like how OPD Anakin's is stuck there, and the handle is kind of...bad. But if they had normal handles and blades, then sure, that idea is fine. That's my opinion, anyway. Oh, and the blades wouldn't be removable. The reason I want the sabers to be removable is based on my own opinion, I am not trying to speak for the masses-I have never lost a lightsaber. I do not worry about them being lost whenever they hold them.

pthfnder89
08-22-2002, 03:12 PM
I would never want them to go back to using arm-sheathed lightsabers. Although I actually liked the Outland Peasant Anakin, I would hate for them to do that with every Jedi. Every single one of them would have a stiff arm and that just wouldn't look right.

Prince Xizor
08-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I would never want them to go back to using arm-sheathed lightsabers. Although I actually liked the Outland Peasant Anakin, I would hate for them to do that with every Jedi. Every single one of them would have a stiff arm and that just wouldn't look right.

Yeah, I totally agree. Not only would everyone have a stiff arm, but they would always be holding a lightsaber, a badly painted and badly sized (like Anakin OPD) saber at that.

Mar10Sir
08-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Well... back to the original question, I don't hate 'em but I can't say I like them either.

The little burst effect at the hilt end of the saber looks pretty lame to me. I'd rather stick to the older regular lighstaber blades. Having metal hilts is cool, I guess, for the kids' playing but the magnets in the figures' hand make 'em look like they've been stung swollen by a swarm of killer bees.

Some blades won't stay in the hilts and the worst thing about 'em is that they bend. Woohoo! Make way for the new arched lightsaber. :( The original plastic Hasbro used for the lightsabers and the weapons as well was much better. Not as good as the one used on the vintage blasters, but still better than the current one.

Does anyone have a Djas Puhr whose guns don't look like spaghetti sprouts? Poor materials. Hmmm... this is off to a new post. See you guys there.

Hellboy
08-22-2002, 06:21 PM
I like them better than the old one piece versions just because it gives you more options for posing but I too have had a problem with them braking at the base and some of the blast effects won't stay on certain sabers. The idea is good but the final product needs more work. Hopefully Hasbro will realise this and make the saber tips thicker and the non-metal handels out of a harder plastic to prevent bending. :)

Jayspawn
08-23-2002, 01:12 AM
I like lightsabers with removable blades. 2 accessories in 1. Though I did like the Naboo Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon with both handles and blades. Those were great!

KIDD
08-23-2002, 01:19 AM
their ok but they bend to easy

Darth Detori
08-23-2002, 02:02 AM
I love them- WHEN the blade stays in. I've only had this problem with maybe two of them though. The metal hilts are much cooler than plastic

AdmiralPiett
08-23-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Fixer
Fortunately, Kenner would replace anything, no questions asked. I doubt Hasbro would send you a new lightsaber blade.

This is true. I called Hasbro's customer service line and I told them that I was having problems. The representative that I talked to said that there was nothing she could do for me. I would have just taken it back to the store and gotten a new figure with a new hilt and saber but it was Ki-Adi's saber and I haven't seen him in any store since the first day I bought him.

Kenner...RIP old man...:zzz:

Piett