PDA

View Full Version : Anyone noticed alot of movies being made are just garbage anymore?

scruffziller
08-22-2002, 08:59 AM
It just seem that the cinema industry is not able to pull through with hardly any flix anymore that satisfy. It could just be me too.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 09:17 AM
THANK YOU! I said this in another thread also. I am not saying that they are all worthless, but the quality has just plumeted. Where are all the original ideas? Did we use them up?

And on a side note, where are all the great horror movies? In the 80's they were all over the place, but since then you are luck if you have one good one every 4 years. I blame the whole teeny-bobber slasher garbage. I refuse to see any of them.

icatch9
08-22-2002, 09:17 AM
I have to disagree. A lot of the movies out this year are very good. Some arn't but every year has bad movies. Also, just becasue you don't like them, doesn't mean they aren't very good. There are hundreds of people just like you that can't stand Star Wars. They aren't right either. :D

Exhaust Port
08-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Personally I can't stand the industries reliance on sequels and TV cross-overs. Very few of either of those work in my opinion with a majority just plain sucking.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2002, 10:12 AM
You mean movies like Goldmember, Pluto Nash, Sum of All Fears, and I Spy?

No I haven't noticed.

robman71
08-22-2002, 10:47 AM
I would have to say of all the movies that I actually went to the theater to see this year, perhaps only 2 were not a major disappointment. AOTC of course was great as was Spiderman.
However all of the "Blockbuster" sequels were a major let down (MIB2 and Goldmember). Reign of Fire had promise, but ended pretty poorly. The Time Machine was a real loser, Mr. Deeds was so-so, The Scorpion King was good if not a little over the top and The Count of Monte Cristo was fairly well done.

Beast
08-22-2002, 11:33 AM
It's nothing really new. Every year has it's stinkers, this one is just fresh in your mind. That's the great thing about bad movies, once they leave the theater they pretty much are forgotten. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-22-2002, 11:41 AM
In the words of Roger Myers Jr ďWithout plagiarism we wouldn't have anything.Ē There is some sort of theory that there are X amount of ideas for movies (what that number is I have no clue). So, every movie in some way or another is a copy of someone elseís idea. Star Wars is clearly known for this and GL even admits it to a point.

I think that all ideas have been used up and now they are used for inspiration. What is wrong with that? A creator of a movie is inspired by another work of art and uses that inspiration to create his own vision of a movie. To me that is human nature at it's best. Our beloved Star Wars is a clear example of art inspiring art.

It is easy to insult or dislike movies that are out today. These things are current and you can point out their flaws with no problem. Still, B movies have existed for the longest time. Just because a movie is older doesn't make it good. I know Jonna and I have gone around in circles about this issue in another thread. I donít' want to get pulled into a circular argument. My point is this year has, as many bad movies as good ones, just like every other year ever.

As for good scary movies of the past, MHO on this is that those movies where as much teenybopper movies as the Screams and I know what's are now. Didn't Freddy chase after a group of kids at a pool party? Wasnít Carrie a disgruntled teenager? These kinds of movies have always been rooted towards teenagers because that is the only people who care to see them. Little kids can't get in, and for the most part adults don't want to have anything to do with gross out scary movies. Now a days the teen sexy scary movies rule the scary movie section. The corny gory movies are long dead. Rob Zombie keeps trying to have his movie come out and I'm sure it's real gory. His inability to get his movie released just goes to show that gore is no longer accepted in Hollywood. The general public seems to be fine with that.

Nostalgia has always been present days worst enemy. We always remember things better than they really were, simply because we forget about the bad things. Sounds to me like a bunch of old men complaining about how things were so much better way back when. You guys arenít that old yet, are you? In the 70's and 80's people complained about movies being bad, just like they do today. It's true, ask your parents. Things never really change and things are never as bad as they seem.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
I know Jonna and I have gone around in circles about this issue in another thread. I donít' want to get pulled into a circular argument. My point is this year has, as many bad movies as good ones, just like every other year ever.

I agree with you on that. I have no interest in fighting over this. Perhaps I have grown old and crotchity (SP), but regardless most movies these days just do not hold my attention. I think that the industry is banking to much on special effects and not enough on storyline. Blinking lights can only interest me for so long. But then again, it is just my opinion.:D

scruffziller
08-22-2002, 12:01 PM
It just seems though that things are increasingly worsening. I do believe all the great ideas have been used up. There are alot comic book charachter titles coming out but I fear they won't deliver like they are suppose to. Maybe it is because I am bored with cookie cutter cinema.

icatch9
08-22-2002, 12:16 PM
Some movies do bank on fx. What's wrong with that. Movies are entertainment. So, fx make stuff look cool and people are entertained. There are two kinds of entertainment on ther earth IMO. Staring at fire and listening to a man tell a story. Some movies have more fire than man telling story. Some have all firer and no man and Vise Versa (wich was a B movie back in the day, wich was a copy of several other movies).

FX movies are entertaining and a welcome change to a movie with to much dialog. To much dialog and you get board real quick. Most people go to movies to enjoy themselves, not to learn something or to be enlightened.

Movies are made to make money. Today the people with the most money just want to be entertained.

2-1B
08-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses should be out this Fall, that according to the trailer he showed at Ozzfest. :)

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Movies are made to make money.

Perhaps, there in lies the problem for me concerning most of the newer movies that are seen as "good" by the general populous. There is very little art in movies these days. It is merely a business and not an emotional expression of ideas.

I have not been inspired by a newer movie in a long time.

That is not to say that I do not enjoy rollercoster moves for fun, but as far as the other type of movies are concerned, we just don't seem to have the choice these days.

wedgeA
08-22-2002, 06:34 PM
I think that the problem is that movies are made to condescend to an increasingly intellectually unmotivated film going public. Many viewers embrace predictable plots, upbeat endings, lack of characterization, because in order to be entertained they don't want to think. The problem is that because of the nature of the industry, those films represent the vast majority of films made. If there is a mainstream movie made that has even a modicum of intelligence, it is because it is backed by some influential actor or director. I just wish there were more films like Memento and Mulholland Drive, instead of The New Guy.

JediTricks
08-23-2002, 01:36 AM
I have seen a handful of movies in the past 3 years because the films didn't entice me and I had been too disappointed by the films I had seen. It feels like the current Hollywood system is too much about the $ and not enough about the actual entertainment. Doing a focus group to decide how a protagonist defeats the bad guy takes all the love out of a film. The studio heads seem to want only the quickest way to get people into the theater on opening weekend so they'll be there when the film is release in the home market. There has to be a balance of art and business for the cinema to work right, too much of either can destroy a film. Creativity is stifled and plagerism is lauded, talent is only a footnote on the casting sheets, it's now about who rates the highest in the demographics and which stars will work best with the product placement. There are far too few "visions" anymore in the movies, instead of one person making a great movie because that's the movie he or she wanted to make, it's all about making a film that will fall within the parameters the studio puts out to maximize marketing potential - instead of just filming a scene because it's vital, now scenes are crafted to be DVD extras. I'm not saying there weren't always bad movies, there WERE, just that there are a lot less good ones than ever before IMO.

I think all the spark left the industry around the early '90s. A buddy of mine says all entertainment quality and creativity basically ground to a halt after '85. It seems like with sports, music, and anything else, the more money we all push at it, the more it corrupts it and the soul is taken out of the equation.

icatch9
08-23-2002, 08:08 AM
I agree that money has caused problems in all 3 major entertainment groups (sports, movies, music), but that's they way it's always been. It's just a lot more obvious now. Don't you think Frank Sinatra thought about money when makeing music, don't you think Babe Ruth thought about money(for crying out loud the 1919 White Sox threw the world series for money). These are just a couple of instances, but I'm sure there are more. Now a days it's faceless corporations calling the shots, but it still revolves around money.

Being an entertainer is just a job. It's a fun job, but its still a job. It's the American way to want the most money for what ever job your doing. Weather it be a tolit scrubber or leading lady, money is the motivation for every job. Sure being a celeberty comes with a lot more fringe benifits than a tolit scrubber, but at least a tolit scrubber can go shopping for himself. Tom Cruze can't do that.

I agree that some movies get made to to follow the coat tails of others. Road Trip, Van Wilder, and The New Guy just got made to ride the coat tails of American Pie. I know what you Did Last Summer and all the other teeny scarey movies where just ridding the coat tails of Scream. Just like Batle Star Galatica and The Black Hole road the coat tails of Star Wars (wich probally would have never gotten made if it where not for the slight success of 2001 and Planet of the Apes). Hollywood is a ficle business. Movie studios don't want to take a risk on a movie not makeing money. Thus, they bank on movies they know will. Despite how bad The New Guy was, it was probally cheap to film and brought in enough return for the movie to actually be a profit.

That's just the way it works.