PDA

View Full Version : SSG Battle of the Machines FINALS! - Fight 2 of 2

Tycho
08-22-2002, 01:37 PM
The last fight of the SSG Battle of the Machines Finals now begins to take its course!

Dang do we have a powerful matchup for you for this fight!

It's the GALACTIC EMPIRE'S TIE BOMBER vs. JANGO FETT'S SLAVE ONE!

Some people are going to have a tough time deciding who they are going to root for!

One of the top most anticipated sculpts of a classic Starfighter ship that was never made before while fans waited 22 years to see this ship produced, and now it comes out at a great size, a pack-in figure, and some heavy firepower....

OR

A totally new re-molding of one the most popular bounty hunter's starcraft, with an all-new paint scheme, room for 3 action figures, and with the most working-action firepower of any Star Wars toy ever produced!

The Imperial Navy's TIE BOMBER was only just released about five months ago. It is getting harder to locate for many collectors who never found this ship, though online stores seem to have obtained a stock of them. Meanwhile, a brand new original body sculpt featuring twin body-pods and great details contributes to this first-time ever offering of this awesome vehicle from "The Empire Strikes Back!" The ship is quite a good sized vehicle and features an opening cockpit that holds one TIE Pilot action figure that's included! The difference between this figure and the carded one released in 1996 would be jointed knees, but it's equivalent to the pilot that comes with this year's Toys R Us exclusive, the Interceptor. Meanwhile, the TIE Bomber is a Wal*Mart Exclusive that makes a blast on the collectors' sites with 3 detailed plasma bombs that are gravity activated from a firing control on top of the ship's weapons module! The TIE Bomber defeated Darth Vader's advanced TIE Fighter 91-76 to be here. It also carried about 54% of the vote in its victory. Prior to that, the Bomber knocked the B-wing out of the competition before moving on to the Quarterfinals. Only recently, the TIE Bomber just barely defeated the TIE Interceptor winning by only 4 votes (82-78) and a bare 51%!!!! But the warriors posting comments in that thread would seem to support the TIE Bomber enough that it was clear who the victor was in this really close match to call. Now we'll see if the Bomber can hold its own against Slave One!

The 3 seat Firespray Class patrol and attack craft is packed by Jango Fett with lots of hidden features. To start with, "there's no tracking all of them!" If you manage to attach a tracking device onto the hull of Slave-One, it's onboard systems will detect it and by flipping a pannel on the toys fuselage, you can instantly destroy any detection devices, or repair the ship to "brand new." What's more impressive is the firepower packed in this baby! After manually rotating the craft's stabalizer wings into flight position for fast manuevering, hit the hidden weapons control knob to pop open a secret hatch to reveal a quadruple firing rapid launching missle system! And it really works! Extra missles are stored in the back so you can reload quickly so that you always find the firepower you will need to hunt Jango Fett's prey. But sometimes you gotta scare them out of their wits a little - that's ok too. Slave One comes with 4 rapid release plasma charges that can also be deployed like space mines just in case it gets a little harder to pin point your quarry. Or if the contract says dead-or-alive, use them in combination with the missles to just blast them into one big disintegration! It's tough to outmatch or outgun Hasbro's all-new Slave-One!" This ship beat its pilot's own son's ship, Boba Fett's Slave-One 109-44 to storm ahead with 71% of the vote. Previously, this ship killed Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter 71-42, carrying 62% of the vote in a tougher match for Slave-One during the Preliminaries. In its latest match in the Semi-Finals, Jango's Slave One really shot down Padme Amidala in her Naboo Fighter 150-49, making short work of them and even their electronics, by carrying off 75% of the votes as bounty!

Which one of these Hasbro's Galaxy Conquerors can be stopped?

Who's going to take the Best Starship Title into the Championship to decide the best Hasbro Star Wars vehicle ever made?

Will it be the TIE BOMBER or JANGO FETT'S SLAVE-ONE????????

You will decide NOW!

1....2....3 - --- FIGHT!

Beast
08-22-2002, 01:45 PM
The Jango Fett Slave 1 is an excellent ship, but I have to go with the TIE Bomber. It's a ship that almost everyone has been asking for since the 80's. Especially since Kenner made one in the small die-cast series, but never made a full sized one for figures.

So how can I deny what I've wanted for 20 some years, for a brand new ship. Sorry, but while the Slave 1 is the best E2 ship, atleast until the Gunship shows up, it still doesn't match the coolness of the TIE Bomber. :)

They both are excellently sculpted. And the Slave 1 does have alot of excellent play features, and greatly improves on the crappy Boba's Slave 1. They really need to take the Jango version and re-paint it for Boba. But again, TIE Bomber edges out the Slave 1 on nostalgia, sculpting, and coolness factors. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The True Maul
08-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Slave I is a great ship although I never got the Tie Bomber so I don't know what it's like so I'll go with Slave I. :)

sith_killer_99
08-22-2002, 01:57 PM
I had to go with the TIE Bomber. The Slave I was a nice toy, But the Bomber is just AWESOME.

Flembar
08-22-2002, 02:32 PM
I gotta go with the bomber.... it is my favorite ship... is fantastic... yada yada yada.... but I cant help but wonder if its rarity will hurt it..... ie nobody votes for a ship they dont own..... whereas the new slave one is everywhere these days

pthfnder89
08-22-2002, 02:52 PM
The Saga Slave 1 is excellent in nearly all respects, but for coolness factor, it can't match the Tie Bomber. The detail, bomb action and pilot are all top notch and the fact that it's an OT vehicle pushes it way over the top. :)

Tycho
08-22-2002, 03:35 PM
I doubt anyone would not know my feelings by now:

JANGO'S SLAVE ONE is perhaps my very favorite Star Wars ship!

Nothing beats rapid fire missles, save for the fact that the compartment lets you conceal them so the ship looks authentic!

Plus the plasma charges! Just too cool.

The battle damage features and that you can attach blast effects from figures' guns to Slave One's shows they were thinking ahead. Also, Jango's backpack stores in the cockpit which has room for 3 figures - bounty and prey?

The TIE Bomber is an awesome sculpt, but it does nothing by comparison.

A lot of people don't know this because they can't find the bomber, or they don't play with their toys.

If they are "going to" get Slave-One, they haven't because it's on the shelves everywhere. Folks, it did sell. They've sold out of them before and restocked. I've noticed while I'm figure-hunting. But it also is produced in bigger quantities, so people are waiting for clearance sales (which hardly encourages retailers to want to buy more ships like this from Hasbro).

But the bottom line is we are talking about toys and Slave One is fun to play with!

A re-release with Boba's colorings and damage detailing tickles your fancy? Sure it'd be cool. But it doesn't change the coolness quotient at all on this ship, because it's already on MAXIMUM! Yeah baby Yeah!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2002, 03:39 PM
My vote goes for the Slave 1. While the TIE/B is a nice looking ship Hasbro continued their crummy ways by only including the bomb feature without any electronic sound f/x or lights which could have been easily done for the $30 price tag. The pilot is just a lame rehash of the TIE/I figure which in itself wasn't that great to begin with.

Although the Slave 1 doesn't come with electronics, it has room for three figures and the two pronged attack approach. In my book that beats the novelty of the TIE/B.

Regardless, both ships are good and I'm glad we finally got the TIE/B.

jedi master sal
08-22-2002, 03:42 PM
Ya know, I thought this was going to be a runaway. I heavily thought about voting for the Bomber. Mostly because of it's premiere issueance. But then I thought about what I have done with both ships since having them. Of course I opened both. Slave-1 I actually played with while I only looked over the bomber and put it back in it's box to be displayed at a later time.

While we can wax nostalgic over the toys of an era gone by, I decided this solely on playability, because BOTH looked cool, and finalized on Jango's smooth ride.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
If they are "going to" get Slave-One, they haven't because it's on the shelves everywhere. Folks, it did sell. They've sold out of them before and restocked. I've noticed while I'm figure-hunting. But it also is produced in bigger quantities, so people are waiting for clearance sales (which hardly encourages retailers to want to buy more ships like this from Hasbro).

I have to disagree with you on the issue of availability, Tycho. Perhaps in SD they were restocked plentifully, but I know for a fact at my local WM they were never even in the computer, and thus were never received. The only store I ever saw one in was in Cortez, CO and they had two cases worth (8 total). The reason why they had so many is, IMO, because it's in the middle of nowhere and probably no collectors livaround there. I also found Saga Yodas, DTs, and even a POTJ R2-Q5 at the same time, all of which would have been gone in any other town 20 seconds after being put out

I think the TIE/B is/was popular enough to garner most collector's attention, just that most scalpers were around to grab them first.

The apparent availability isn't enough for me to vote the TIE/B over the Slave 1. The features just aren't good enough to beat the Slave 1 in a mano a mano matchup.

Flembar
08-22-2002, 04:37 PM
just an observation.... this is gonna be close!!

Tycho
08-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Mandalorian Candidate: you sure SLAVE-ONE was that hard to get?

It's easy here and San Diego is a good size city with enough collectors around (though nothing like L.A. I'm told).

But what about Targets and Toys R Us'. Jango's ship was not an exclusive. K-mart has a lot of them, too.

And yes Flembar, this one's going to be really close!

They're both top vehicles!

I'd like to see them both get a fair chance and best luck to the rightful winner (which I hope is Jango ;)

LusiferSam
08-22-2002, 09:08 PM
I like both the Bomber and Slave 1, but I really like the new Slave 1 a lot. My biggest problem with the Tie Bomber is it doesn't feel as toyish as Slave 1. Its more of a collectors item then for the kids. True it comes with a figure, a make of the 96 Tie pilot, and has bombs, Slave 1 is a head above it. Slave 1 is great for any number of reasons. It has so many great features, looks fantastic, and what is important in my mind can all it says it can. A lot of lesser vehicles can't.

dr_evazan22
08-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Slave 1.

It's so much fun to play w/.

While I like the Bomber a lot, and think it is more aestheticly pleasing, I don't get as much play value out of it. i almost feel bad for voting against the Bomber:eek: :cry:

NRPeace
08-22-2002, 09:50 PM
For it's size, the bomber is very dissapointing. There are no electronics, no extra features, and the bombs don't even use a complicated mechanism. The Slave-1 is cheaper, hold more figures, has firing and "gravity activated" projectiles, moving parts and a couple of nice extras. It's clearly the better toy.

NiktosRule
08-22-2002, 10:15 PM
I like both ships a lot but the Bomber is just a little better. It is better detailed and its weapons are in the right place unlike Jango's Slave 1 where the missiles are misplaced. Both are fun to play with but the Bomber is more accurate and gets my vote.

JediTricks
08-22-2002, 11:19 PM
I would have voted for the TIE Bomber... if I could have ever found one!!! Now WMs aren't getting anymore and I'm up the creek on this unless I wanna go the scalper route. Stupid WM exclusives, there isn't even 1 WM in LA city (basin, I think Porter Ranch WM is technically in the city limits, but that's deep in the valley) and web-ordering is impossible, even though when they WERE out, all these rural WMs supposedly had 'em. Well nertz to that, Jango's ship gets my friggin' vote simply by default ("the two sweetest words in the English language!").

stillakid
08-23-2002, 11:09 AM
Tough call. The bomber is a great sculpt and a great addition to my growing "fleet." Slave I is also a great sculpt and has a bit more "playability" as mentioned above. In terms of sculpt, they tie. In terms of playability, it's too close to call.

In lieu of that, I'll drop to the next level, that of price and availability. The bomber was wayyy too difficult to get ahold of, for no good reason. Hasbro claims that ships won't sell well enough, so they justify making the Bomber an exclusive that way. But they think nothing of churning out millions of Slave I's that currently are collecting dust practically everywhere I turn. The policy is inconsistent and therefore suspect. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the Bomber wouldn't have sold just as well as any other ship that has been released.

In any case, only because it was so much easier to obtain and a bit cheaper, my vote goes to the Slave I, but my nostalgic sense wants to vote for the TIE.

The Overlord Returns
08-23-2002, 01:07 PM
Going to have to go with Slave 1.......same reason as Tricks....no tie bomber to speak of up here in Toronto.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Mandalorian Candidate: you sure SLAVE-ONE was that hard to get?

Oops. Sorry about that. My brain inserted Tie Bomber where you wrote Slave 1.

The only excuse for not buying a Slave 1 by now, other than just not wanting one, is that you're waiting for the price to go down.

Lordcrimsondemon69
08-23-2002, 08:38 PM
The slave one is awesome but i will stick to my imperial ties and go for the bomber. you cant build an army without air support

Eternal Padawan
08-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Hmmmmmmmm....TIE Bomber. Hasbro actually making a new ship instead of slumming off Kenner's old molds? How often does THAT happen? Not very.

ROLLO!

Tycho
08-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Do people out there STILL think that the new Slave One is based on molds of the old one?

It's so NOT.

People saying that do not have the vehicle (or they don't open it in which case they can't possibly appreciate it).

Jango's Slave One is an entirely new mold. The ships are only barely close in identical size because Hasbro was attempting to keep their respective scales accurate.

(the ship would be too big to do on a real 1:1 scale I suppose, though it's pretty close, isn't it? However, if 2 versions of the ship were made in 2 different sizes, neither one realistically accurate, it'd be very wierd.)

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Tough choice, but I picked the Bomber.

The Slave-1 is a cool toy from the looks of it, but I haven't bought one and probably won't since I've decided to stop collecting the vehicles and playsets. The TIE Bomber is the last SW ship I ever need to buy (unless we get an all new sculpt of Vader's TIE, the Interceptor or the stadard TIE; I'd even buy the 3-winged TIE if they would ever make one - and I don't even like EU!)and is my favorite vehicle overall. I think that TIE series fighters are simply the coolest looking ships in all of Star Wars and this toy is the first truly accurate version (everyone knows the faults of the vintage TIEs, and the POTF2 Vader's TIE is a shoddy, substandard piece of crap).

The lack of action features don't bother me, since the ship does exactly what it did in the movie: drops bombs. Anything else (laser cannons, firing missiles) is just EU and doesn't affect my opinion of the ship. And who cares if the bomb dropping mechanism isn't complicated enough?:rolleyes: It's simple, it works every time. What more do you want?:stupid:

Of course, electronic flyby sounds would have been nice; but Hasbro has never released a TIE fighter with electronics (even though the TIEs have the most distinctive flyby sound in all of sci-fi :frus: ) and Jango's Slave-1 doesn't have them either, so it doesn't affect my vote.

Beast
08-24-2002, 03:43 PM
BigB, what don't you like about the POTF2 Vader's Tie Fighter. It's pretty much movie accurate, and re-sculpted from Vintage version. They gave it the big wedge shaped backend and the missles are hidden pretty well in the wing struts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Tornado
08-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Close Fight so far. GO TIE bomber!!!!!

Pendo
08-26-2002, 09:30 AM
It's a close one, I think I'll go with the Slave I and that's only because I like the way it flys :D.

PENDO!

bigbarada
08-31-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
BigB, what don't you like about the POTF2 Vader's Tie Fighter. It's pretty much movie accurate, and re-sculpted from Vintage version. They gave it the big wedge shaped backend and the missles are hidden pretty well in the wing struts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Where to start:

1. the coloring is wrong, Vader's TIE was light grey not that hideous shade of blue

2. the detailing was pathetic, the 1978 vintage toys were more detailed

3. the circular window was too small which puzzled me, because I just assumed that Kenner would simply reuse the standard TIE Fighter's window. So they either tried to resculpt the window and got it totally wrong or made the cockpit too big.

4. the top hatch stuck up too high from the body of the ship, if you look at the prop, the top hatch is flush with the body.

5. finally, the action features, they wouldn't have bothered me except for all the other glaring flaws of this ship.

Sure the vehicle was resculpted and an improvement over the vintage version, but it looked more like a vehicle you would see released with the Spider-Man toy line from the early 90s, terrible detailing and substandard workmanship. The Action Fleet version is still the best.