PDA

View Full Version : Wal*Mart To Lower Prices Again?

Lman316
08-22-2002, 03:34 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not - or if it might only be in my area - but I've got wind that Wal*Mart might be lowering prices on Star Wars figures again.
My friend, who recently got switched from home and garden to toys said for me to come back in a couple of weeks because someone above him said they'd be reducing the price. They quote, "Want to get rid of them..." All the overstock, I guess.
So, I don't want to get any hopes up, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it turns out to be true. I have no idea what the new price is going to be - I asked, but he didn't know.

End...

robman71
08-22-2002, 03:40 PM
I wish they would get rid of the overstock, I have not seen any new figures in over a month. I still keep seeing the 4/23 pegwarmers, and the han/chewie/obi starfighter everywhere. Perhaps if they lowered them so the kiddies could buy even more, we would start to see the new waves on the shelves. They also need to reduce the price on the Deluxe figures, I still have not seen Yoda or 3PO anywhere either.

hango fett
08-22-2002, 03:48 PM
another price drop would help...but they will probably just have them either in a big sale or put the majority on clearence.
hf

Lord Tenebrous
08-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Lowering the price again won't do much good, it took months for Episode 1 overstock to reach bin-sized numbers at $1.97. The quantity supplied doesn't match the quantity demanded, and we're stuck with a surplus.

So if you want the remaining 2002 figures, and the forty 2003 figures, then start buying, because stores aren't going to clearance boxes of figures just so you can get the few you want. Star Wars, and Hasbro products in general, has burned them time and time again, especially in the last few years.

So if things stay as they are now, you might want to hunt out a new hobby, because the support is fading...

jedi master sal
08-22-2002, 04:25 PM
Well at least there is one more movie left. And you can bet all of the major stores will be lining up to sell the "new"stuff then. I don't think support is fading neccessarily. I do think that consumers (like me included) have an unrealistic goal/view on these toys. When old-timers like me were getting them in the 70's, we were quite happy with them. Sure the figures look much better now, but should we try to force a company to do the impossible.

THESE ARE JUST TOYS!

While I love them as much as anyone else, we shouldn't really expect photo-realistic quality (especially at the price the Hasbro is already giving us).

We are only paying about 150-200% the price of the toys as they were in the 70's-80's and we ARE getting much better quality. Compare that to other things like homes/bread/cars, homes are up 300%, bread 1000%, cars700%.

I would love to see the price drop, but would rather have a little less quality, more figures and lower prices all the time.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Exhaust Port
08-22-2002, 06:05 PM
With a price drop I'd be tempted to pick up a few more figures that are warming the pegs. With it, those figures will continue to collect dust as they have for the last few months. Bring it on!

Sinister Lord
08-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah... I can't wait! I hope they do lower those prices... there are a bunch of Saga figures I've been waiting for a sale to buy... C-3PO in particular. He's a pegwarmer for sure. If they lower him to 3 bucks or less, I will buy him.

Hellboy
08-22-2002, 06:12 PM
If a Wal-Mart price reduction is indeed forthcoming Dar' Argol would probably know for sure.
Dar? :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-22-2002, 06:48 PM
I just wanna see some new figures!!!

jedihunter25
08-22-2002, 06:50 PM
That would be nice. They need to get rid of the pegwarmers to make room for new figs. I check Walmart everyday and it's still the same figs. I still never came across Teemto, Ki-Adi, or Anakin Attack because there is no room for them. It's getting to the point to look on Ebay and the last time I had to do that was back in the Sio Bibble and TC-14 days.

Prince Xizor
08-22-2002, 07:05 PM
A price drop would be great. Then I could continue to build up my clone trooper and Battle Droid armies.

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Yea my little bro isn't old enuf to get alot of real money so he looses intrest in them... He loves the figs to pieces but he can't afford but maybe 3 a month and a price reduction would shure motivate him and me (Due to the building of a clone army and battle droid army) so we can get more new figs and the children can get the older ones without going broke for life... Also the POTJ here just recently went on sale Ya'know they came out a year ago to the amazing price of *Drum roll* 4.50!!!! Woo Hoo Such a large deduction........ Well I hope ours does something because I had to go out of town to even get Palpy and Dijas :(

The True Maul
08-22-2002, 09:09 PM
I sure hope so, the figures at Wal Mart by me have dust on them! :)

macewindu87
08-22-2002, 09:32 PM
a price drop does sound good they need to get rid of those annoying pegwarmers for good we need newer figs!
mace

TylerD
08-23-2002, 12:49 AM
Even if mine did do a price drop, there wouldn't be much for me to buy....unless I become an army builder, or a dedicated customizer....but what is there to customize out of the saga figs.? Anybody got any ideas?

Dar' Argol
08-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not - or if it might only be in my area - but I've got wind that Wal*Mart might be lowering prices on Star Wars figures again.
My friend, who recently got switched from home and garden to toys said for me to come back in a couple of weeks because someone above him said they'd be reducing the price. They quote, "Want to get rid of them..." All the overstock, I guess.
So, I don't want to get any hopes up, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it turns out to be true. I have no idea what the new price is going to be - I asked, but he didn't know.

End...

Originally posted by HellBoy
If a Wal-Mart price reduction is indeed forthcoming Dar' Argol would probably know for sure.
Dar? :confused:

Yes:D :D :D

There is no new price drop comming down. Lman316, what your you friend was reffering to was one of 2 things. Either the person above him, I'm guessing the Dept Manager, was reffering to any old SW stock, i.e. POTJ, or old 12" line. Or #2, they could be referring to the current Saga line. But this would be a price drop, or "CLEARANCE" at the store level, not company wide.

Each Dept is givin a budget for each month. That is the amount of money that they can use to get rid of deleted items, gross overstock, or very slow moving items. I know at my store, the Dept Mgr just got about $6000 to clearance stuff with, and she took the remaining POTJ stuff down to $1. But if you travel 30 minutes west of my store, their stuff may be at regular price. Unless it comes down in our system, which I usually make a news post on the front page about, then it is only at the store level.

Val Da Car
08-24-2002, 01:56 PM
I was just in my Wally World store today and all of the old POTJ line (Sabe,Ketwoj and other Cantina pegwarmers) were marked down to $4.00 each and some AOTC accessories like the mini toy guns. As for the AOTC they had lots of the first 40 figures except Yoda. Some Dooku were there (approx 3) Sen Palpatine (3-5), Djas Puhr (3-5).

The price change in my store is 2 figures for $9.00 (a drop of .27 each figure from the $4.77 base price) but expect another drop soon as the holidays approach (including Halloween) since they are preparing new areas all of the time for upcoming events.

just my $.02
:o
phew!

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 03:38 PM
My Wal-Mart has had a sale going on Collection 1 figures for the last few weeks. Coll1 figures are $3.50 and Coll2 figures are $4.77 apiece. Unfortunately the only figures I need are in Collection 2.:frus:

Anyways, this has had no effect whatsoever on sales, the shelves are as clogged as ever over here.:(

It's ironic that SW figures are cheaper than they have been in years and I have no money to buy them. $2 apiece would be pushing my budget right now.