PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown DVD's

QLD
08-22-2002, 04:24 PM
Has anyone watched these yet? Are they really good? I just bought both of them at Best Buy, they were on sale for 15.99. I can't wait to watch them.

One a side note, Best Buy is supposed to give you a free DVD of From Dusk Till Dawn if you buy both at the same time. I am not a huge fan of that movie, but for free I'll even take a copy of Gone With the Wind. Of course, they were out of it. He said it was a limited special. They only got 5 free copies in, compared to 100 of Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. And they couldn't give me a rain check either! What a crock! Best Buy does this all the time, and it ****es me off!

But, on a happier note, they had Loaded Weapon 1 and Drop Dead Gorgeous on DVD for 5.99 each. Two great movies!!!

SirSteve
08-22-2002, 06:24 PM
I took full advantage of this deal and I also got the Payback DVD $5 off an $11.99 price when you bought We Were Soldiers!

QLD
08-22-2002, 07:35 PM
ARGH! I tried to take advantage of it! Those hosers! They said all of the Atlanta area stores were out of it too! ARGH! ARGH! AR *cough cough* argh.........

2-1B
08-23-2002, 01:36 AM
What's the regular price? 19.99 ?

I honestly don't care that much for Pulp Fiction, it's alright but I'm not into it . . . But Jackie Brown is AWESOME. I was bummed recently when trying to play my VHS copy - all kinds of sound deterioration, so I am eager to pick up the new DVD. :)

Drinking screwdrivers with Pam Grier - that would make a great celebrity auction !

QLD, I've never seen Drop Dead Gorgeous, but I picked it up for 5.99 as well. It's worth a look, I figured. I passed on Loaded Weapon I, but I will buy it eventually . . .

Jayspawn
08-23-2002, 01:44 AM
I've watched them both, they're great! I got them for the $15. 99 price that Best Buy offered them for. And I got From Dusk Till Dawn FREE with it. I already own the From Dusk Till Dawn Ultimate Edition DVD so I have an extra. I havn't watched them with the commentary yet, but the documentries on the 'Pulp' DVD are great! I like the Jack Rabbit Slims restraunt menu that comes with Pulp Fiction. I've been waiting for these for a LONG time!

Less than a week till 'Reservoir Dogs'!

QLD
08-23-2002, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I would like to pick up Reservoir Dogs too!

And Caesar, Drop Dead Gorgeous is HILARIOUS!

And I really really like Loaded Weapon 1 too.

;)

MikeAndTheBots
08-23-2002, 02:05 AM
By any chance do stores check to see if you can legally get R movies (since its restricted for 17 and up) or if you look 17 you get it, no ID or anything? Just wondering since pulp fiction is definately one of my top 10 and I want to be able to get the super-ultra-mega-edition DVD...

QLD
08-23-2002, 02:24 AM
I am sure most places don't even care. But every now and then you will run into someone who actually checks ID.

Beast
08-23-2002, 12:50 PM
There seems to be a problem with defective copies of Jackie Brown, so you may want to check yours. TheDigitalBits.com posted this information this morning. :)

In other news, we've got new details for you on Buena Vista's effort to exchange your defective Jackie Brown: Collector's Edition DVDs. For the record, the problem is that on the "trivia" text option, the subtitle stream loses sync between Chapters 10 & 11. The studio is working on a solution and expects to begin manufacturing fixed discs soon. Exchanges can be arranged when the discs are ready by calling Buena Vista's customer service department at 1-800-477-2811. Thanks to Bits readers Jeff K. and Justin M. for reporting on their experiences with BVHE on this.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Hmmm....I will have to check mine tonight. I have a bad habit of letting my DVD's sit for months before playing them.

SWAFMAN
08-23-2002, 07:12 PM
QLD, that "limited quantity free give-away" with the Dusk/Dawn DVD is a bullcrap policy by BestBuy. Depending on how much value you place on your time, if it's worth it to you, I'd suggest calling the district manager or even calling or writing to the main corporate office to complain.

Best Buy Co., Inc.
Consumer Relations
PO Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440-9312
Tel: (952) 947-2000
1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289)

Whoever answers first is a waste of time, immediately ask to speak to their supervisor. As soon as they get on the line, ask politely for their name (1st and last) and verify the spelling. Tell them your issue, stressing that you were particularly offended by the total "we don't have it for you, and we don't care" attitude of the store employees during your visit.

Then ask the supervisor for the name of their VP of Sales, and verify the spelling. This implies you are going to write to him/her, without your ever coming out and saying so. And the supervisor already knows they gave you their own name, and they'll assume you'll include it in the letter.

There's an excellent chance you'll be mailed either a DVD or rain check at that point. If not, then DO mail a letter to the VP of sales at the address above.

QLD
08-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanks for that info SWAFMAN!

I will do that tomorrow!

I HATE BEST BUY!!!!!!

THEY ALWAYS DO THINGS LIKE THIS!!!!!

Beast
08-23-2002, 07:29 PM
That's why I quit shopping there after they ticked me off the last time, QLD. I went back to my usual place, Media Play. Sadly now Best Buy owns Suncoast and Media Play, but what you going to do.

I won't buy DVD's from Circut City because their selection sucks. And I won't buy them at large retailers, because most of the people that work there don't know what they are talking about. Especially Wal-Mart, who caters to P&S customers and their stupid DVD commercials annoy me. :rolleyes:

I like Media Play because the people there know what they are talking about, and will go that extra mile to help. Not to mention the Replay Bonus Point Club rocks. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-23-2002, 07:34 PM
I used to work for Media Play around '95. Their staff has gone way downhill since then. However it is MILES beyond Best Buy's or anywhere else. Their prices seem to have gone up too.

I am on hold with Best Buy customer service now.......they just quoted me with a 20 minute hold time. Let's see how mad I am by the time I talk to someone.

Beast
08-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Mine still seems to be pretty good. Everytime I'm in there, I end up having a 20 minute conversation with the cool DVD/Video department guy. We have the same tastes and ideas about movies and he makes sure I remember to pre-order my monthly needs. He's a cool guy, and I hope he stays working there a while. Cause the other people there are pretty dense. :)

Suncoast ticked me off a couple years ago. The manager lady there was a complete arse. Even though I was one of their best customers, she never stopped trying to make me feel like crap everytime I walked thru the door. From badmouthing Laserdiscs, to my choices in movies. I finally got sick of her and told her off and quit going to that one for a while.

I guess management had complaints from customers and employees about her, because they transfered her to another store in another city. It was one of their crappier stores, so I guess they figured she would cause less trouble there. Last I heard that she got herself fired. Thank the gods, it took them long enough. :happy: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-23-2002, 08:01 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!

THAT GUY WAS A SERIOUS A-HOLE!!!

He was very rude.

I asked for the supervisor, and talked to Josh James.

He said that it is a limited sale, and that he's sorry. That they are probably just trying to get rid of a few copies from the warehouse. I asked him if he thought that it was a little cheap to only have 10 copies to give away versus the hundreds of copies of the movies. He said they sold fast. He also said that he could not give me the VP of sales name or information. He could only give me the CEO's name.

I guess I will be writing the CEO afterall.

That just cements the fact that I am NEVER going to Best Buy again.

QLD
08-23-2002, 08:46 PM
Well, I wrote a letter to the CEO, but I doubt it will do much. Here is the letter:

August 23, 2002
********, GA *****

Brad Anderson – CEO of Best Buy Co., INC.
Consumer Relations
PO Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440-9312

Dear Mr. Anderson,

My name is [Edit: Best Buy Sucks!]. I wanted to write you and express my feelings towards your company. I know this letter will most likely not reach you, but I feel that, nevertheless, I must attempt.

I have been a customer of your stores for many years, since they first arrived in the Atlanta area in Stone Mountain. One of my close friends even helped open the store, and worked there for years. During that time, I, like many others, were enamored with your low prices. However, all too quickly, that romance ended.

The last several years of experience with your company has left a bitter taste in my mouth. There are so many issues that I have had, especially with store #504 in Duluth, that I won’t even bother wasting your time with them. However, this last issue was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.

I went into store #504, to purchase the new DVD’s of Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. Both were on sale this week for $15.99. AN excellent price, I must admit. Also, while in the store, I noticed the sign promoting the offer that if you buy both movies at the same time, that you get another DVD (From Dusk Till Dawn) for free. This was excellent because I already intended to buy both. I had the clerk attempt to find the DVD for me, as I didn’t see any myself. He later stated it was sold out. No problem I thought, so I asked for a rain check. He said “sure”, and took me to the front to receive one. Then he later said that he could not give me one, because it was a “limited” special. OK, I thought, can I come back with my receipt later and get one? “No” he said. We only got 10 in, and that is all we are getting. OK, I thought. Do any other stores have any? He said all stores in Atlanta were sold out, and would not get more. I asked if there was any way I was going to get this DVD, he then said, “no”. I decided I had had enough, and left the store.

Now, I could almost care less about the DVD. But what I do care about, is tricking customers into buying things, and tricking them into coming into the store, with the idea of getting something, for you to never have it. Why would you run that promotion, and get hundreds of the Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown DVD’s in stock, and only TEN of the free DVD’s in? That is a very “sneaky” way to handle things. I was also EXTREMELY disappointed and upset with the “we don’t have it, and we don’t care” attitude of the employees.

At this point, I decided to talk to your customer service line, to perhaps get some answers regarding this. I called at 7:45 PM EST, and first spoke with Kelly, who then transferred me to her supervisor, Josh James. Let me say this, I have worked in management, and more specifically, retail management for years. And if I ever heard an employee using a tone of voice like he used with me, they would not be around long. Now, he basically informed me that I was out of luck. He said that they “probably just had some extra copies in the warehouse to get rid of”. I asked if there was anything that could be done, and he said, “no”. He made no attempt to make me feel better about your service, or your company, only a few halfhearted apologies. I find it hard to believe this was an actual supervisor, or someone who actually has a stake in the well being of your company.

In short, I am looking for a reason to not totally avoid your company in the future. I have experienced years of horrible service, and bad marketing ploys, followed by bad handling by store management. My friends and I have a slogan for your store, which is as follows: Best Buy, Worst Service. Mr. Anderson, what I am looking for is another reason to give your store another chance, because with the ever-growing inventory of Hi-Fi Buys, and Wal-Mart, I am running out of them.

Sincerely,

**********, GA *****
08/23/2002

Oh, and here is a neat site.

http://www.bestbuysux.org/index1.html

derek
08-23-2002, 08:55 PM
good luck QLD, but i'd remove your name and address from the forum if i were you. there's a lot of nuts out here.:)

Beast
08-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Good for you, QLD. Don't take crap from Best Buy. If they don't satisfy you, there are plenty of other stores, both online and B&M's that will gladly take your business.

I think that is pretty shoddy myself, they know that if people see a deal like that, they are going to be more likely to buy both to get the special. Then when they reach the register, they end up being told they are out of it. Most of the time, just like you, they will just buy them anyway and go home and never complain.

Hopefully they resolve it. Make sure to keep us up to date with what they say when they respond. May want to edit your post a bit and remove your address from the boards though. Just in case some sicko is reading and is gonna send you a bunch of junk mail. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-23-2002, 08:59 PM
Good point guys!

;)

I am also going to email this letter to them.

I am sick of their bad service!!!!!!!

I will let you know what happens.

2-1B
08-24-2002, 01:46 AM
I picked up Jackie Brown today, full price at Wal-Mart. I can't get to Best Buy before the sale ends tomorrow, so I don't care about spending an extra $4.

Good for you QLD, let us know how it goes! I'd like to boycott Best Buy with you, but their prices are too good (I've heard good things about their Sopranos Season 3 price next week ;) ).

That brings me to Media Play, JJB - I like going there to look at and occasionally purchase their weird stuff (my new Ozzy hat RULES), but their DVD prices absolutely sicken me. I like how they put their $27.99 DVDs "on sale" for $19.99. :rolleyes:

Replay is a nice little feature, but I can't see how it's worth actually buying regular DVDs there. :)

Beast
08-24-2002, 02:52 AM
That's why I pre-order my friend. Not only do you get the sale price, plus extra off for pre-ordering. But you also get a $2.00 coupon for each pre-order. Plus their prices are usually similar to the major retailers on the big name titles. Best buy may be cheaper on occassion, but it's not worth sacrificing my ideals to save a few bucks. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
08-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Well,

Here is the response from Best Buy with the email I sent. I don't know how the actual letter will do.

Dear Mr. *******:

Thank you for contacting Mr. Brad Anderson at Best Buy's Corporate
Headquarters. Mr. Anderson's office has received your email dated
August
23, 2002 in regards to the recent DVD promotion and has forwarded it to
my
desk for review and response. I appreciate the opportunity to respond
to
your concern.

Let me apologize on behalf of Best Buy if we did not have the
additional DVD
you sought in stock. The advertisement, however, did specifically
state
that only 20 would be given for free and that no rainchecks would be
allowed. According to a media representative in the Duluth Best Buy,
the
allotted 20 DVDs were available to customers, and were given on a first
come, first serve basis.

Additionally, I would like to apologize on behalf of Best Buy for any
lapses
in professionalism or courtesy displayed by the employees at our Duluth
store (#504). Certainly the situation that you describe is in no way
indicative of the type of service that we strive to provide all of our
valued customers.

Please be assured that we are taking every effort to make our shoppers
experience an enjoyable one. I would like to apologize on behalf of
Best Buy
for any inconvenience and frustration you experienced as a result of
your
concern. I hope you will not allow this one instance to tarnish your
opinion
of Best Buy as a whole. Your understanding and continued patronage are
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Emily Kay
CR Contact Center Representative
Best Buy Enterprise Customer Care

Why do I feel so......patronized. I am not done with this one.

In case I haven't said it, Best Buy sucks. ANd the ad only said, Minimum of 10 copies per store. It said nothing about each only getting 20. :rolleyes:

QLD
08-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Here is my reply, as I am SICK of being nice with these people.

Dear Ms. Kay,

Actually, your ad stated that there were a minimum of 10 per store. I did see the "no rainchecks" after the fact, however, after being told I WOULD receive one, and then 20 minutes later, being denied, I was more than peeved. If this were my first such incident with your company, I wouldn't have even sweated this. But after YEARS of bad service, I cannot allow myself to be abused by your employees anymore.

From being harassed and practically being made fun of for not buying warranties, to smart-alec replies to questions. It is a never-ending process. At your Stone Mountain store, Duluth, Tucker, Mall of Georgia, and every other location I have been to. It seems all employees have a "I don't care" attitude. I am not sure if that is a result of being underpaid, or a lack of training, but it is certainly existant.

Unfortunately this experience will tarnish my opinion of your company. I have given you multiple opportunities to at least ATTEMPT to make me feel better about it, but, that never even came close to happening. All I ever received were scripted apologies, and every encounter with your "customer service" people, just makes it worse. And I certainly feel the need to spread these experiences to each and every person I meet.

And here is a website I found recently that your company may find interesting, as it seems I am not alone in my opinions lately. http://www.bestbuysux.org/index1.html

Thanks for responding,

2-1B
08-28-2002, 04:52 AM
Dear Ms. Kay,
You "hope [I] will not allow this one instance to tarnish [my]
opinion of Best Buy as a whole."
But that's the problem - I do already think of Best Buy as a Hole. :mad:
Please restrain your employees from bothering me about NetFlix or any other lame DVD-thru-the-mail-online-rental-system.

Sincerely,
:mad:

JON9000
09-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
I like the Jack Rabbit Slims restraunt menu that comes with Pulp Fiction.

That menu is innaccurate. Mia orders a "Durwood Kirby" burger and a $5 shake. Notice there is a $5 shake, but the names in front of the other menu items are missing.

On Best Buy- I had the pleasure of working there about 4 years agoe while I was in undergrad. When it comes to employees, you get what you pay for. Pay around minimum wage, you get the minimum effort from the kids. All they want them to do is sell those stupid service plans (never get one). But the minimum wages account in part for the bargain prices. BB has calculated that it can afford to lose of Customer Service if it can beat people with prices. They are crushing Circuit City these days.

mini-rock
09-04-2002, 02:20 AM
QLD, give'em hell! I work for a company that was bought out by BB about a year ago, and now it is a complete nightmare.

2-1B
09-04-2002, 04:44 AM
Did anyone get a defective Pulp Fiction DVD? :(

Mine snags up when Harvey Keitel takes Vinny and Jules to Monster Joe's. The disc went DIRECTLY from the case to my DVD player, but I checked for dirt anyway . . . and it looked like there was a glob of something on there, but it doesn't come off - it's like a tiny circular imperfection in the disc's surface.

It's being exchanged, but I'm wondering if I just got a dud or if this is widespread.

:)

Beast
09-04-2002, 04:49 AM
Sounds like a factory dud, as I've told you Caesar. I've had that happen a couple times before. Hopefully a replacement copy will clear things up for you. Does the imperfection look like someone set a coffee cup on the disc? That is commen in disc manufacturing, but depending how sensitive your player is, it can cause it to hiccup. An exchange should help. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-04-2002, 05:00 AM
What does it look like? See for yourself! :D

I just scanned it, wasn't sure if it would work and it . . . kinda did.

Nope, nothing like a coffee cup which is way too big. Here you will see the small size of the offending presence. Now, unless you hold it in the light you can't see that it's really a part of the disc.
In the scan, it LOOKS just like a circular smudge, but it's not . . .

Beast
09-04-2002, 05:05 AM
Ayep, manufacturing defect. Take it back as soon as possible, and get a replacement. Make sure to keep your reciepts when you do the exchange, just incase you get bad luck again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-04-2002, 05:14 AM
You need a receipt for things like this? :confused:

:cry:

:D

Well, I'm nervous about Jackie Brown - I haven't watched it yet, and if Odel put a gun to my head right now I couldn't tell him where the receipt is . . . so if that disc's bad, I may be SOL.

Hopefully it's only the trivia game that's defective, I can live with that because frankly I'd probably never even try it . . . :)

QLD
09-04-2002, 11:46 AM
I learned a long time ago to keep receipts for EVERYTHING I buy.

1. Insurance companies do not like to pay for anything that you do not have receipts for. And with my video game and figure collections, there is no way they would believe how much I had if it were lost or stolen.

2. Exchanges

I just bought a folder file, and kept them in there. It's almost as fun as stamp collecting ;)

2-1B
09-07-2002, 02:22 AM
I made the return, but haven't tried it in the player yet - but I looked over the disc and I found zero defects, so I anticipate a smooth experience.

You know how when you return something like that, they automatically open the replacement? I have no problem with them doing that for obvious reasons, but imagine my HORROR as the girl at the courtesy desk dug her fingernail into the cellophane to free my new copy ! :eek:

Yikes, I started to beg for the box's life, asking "Can you use a knife - " and she looked up with a 'huh?' type response as it finally opened. It appeared horribly disfigured, the back of the box flap looked torn from her nail. But I realized it was just never folded in properly, so I took care of that.

Anyway, I'm on record as HATING non-keepcase DVD packaging, and this fuels further my disgust for these abominations. :cry:

2-1B
02-14-2006, 04:03 AM
In case anybody was wondering, as it turned out my replacement Pulp Fiction DVD played just fine. :)

Ji'dai
02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank you, I needed closure on that.

On another topic, wasn't Tarantino working on a definitive Kill Bill box set? I thought that was supposed to have been released by now.

2-1B
02-14-2006, 01:00 PM
That's what I thought, too, but I haven't heard anything lately.

Let me look around for some info and I'll be back in 3+ years.