PDA

View Full Version : Please share your thoughts about accessories, materials and packaging...

Mar10Sir
08-22-2002, 04:47 PM
I was replying to a thread about the removable lightsaber blades and thought about broadening the subject a bit. Complaints about blades not staying in their hilts or even bending or breaking are numerous but they go beyond that.

Weapons... rifle or blaster barrels don't come out straight. They're usually packaged bent and stay that way. Take the Endor Rebel Soldier's rifle or Djas Puhr's blaster for example. They look all crinked and bent up. Whatever happened to the old materials used to make the vintage weapons? The old Leia blaster still looks right. Is it because these new materials are cheaper?

Well... then spend some more on better materials AND more carfeul packaging instead of adding dull accessories like "blast effects" for weapons or "blast deflection effect" on lightsabers. Come on!!! That's about the silliest thing they've ever added to a figure!

Mar10Sir
08-22-2002, 04:51 PM
And it doesn't end there. My POTJ TIE Interceptor's guntips came all bent up. Had to tie them up hard for weeks to try and straighten them up. Same with the new SAGA X-Wing. Not only were the wingtip guns bent, one of the hip's S-foils was bent!!!! That was harder to straighten up!

What's the purpose of acquiring collectibles if they won't look well upon display with the rest of your collection? Just a bit better care with the way things are packaged.

Anyone else?

Sinister Lord
08-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Most bent accessories can be straightened by dipping them in boiling water and then carefully bending them in the correct position and then allowing them to cool, or dipping them in cold water to cool them. It is also possible to reposition figures' arms and legs using this same technique. I've created many custom figure poses this way.

Mar10Sir
08-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Well, that's cool. Sure beats the ol' X-acto knives and Krazy glue technique. Still... what about the X-wing's S-foils or guntips which come with labels applied to them? The water would ruin them. Of course, you could try a hair blow-drier to remove the decals but it's just too much hassle to get a $45.00 toy right. Shouldn't it come right straight from the factory?

By the way, if you have pics of these custom-boiled figures let's see em. I'm curious. Thanks.

sith_killer_99
08-22-2002, 06:49 PM
Boiling is a handy technique. I have used it a time or two myself.

As for the new plastic for the guns and other accessories?!?! I have heard that it's due, in part, to safety reasons. I guess a new rubbery gun goes down a kids throat like candy, wheras the old "hard plastic" guns go down like chicken bones.:eek:

I say...just slap a warning on the darn things and give us back quality weapons.:evil:

BTW, I like the lightsabers with removable blades.:p

TylerD
08-22-2002, 06:53 PM
"custom-boiled" LOL.....you've just coined a new phrase! I would also like to see some pics if you have any Sinister Lord...

JediTricks
08-23-2002, 02:35 AM
I hate the materials being used for accessories. Even after using the hot water treatment, they still warp and droop too often, or spring back to their warped shape from the packaging. Also, they don't hold paint very well at all.

I also can't stand this new bubble tray where it's like trying to get a single drop of chlorine back out of your pool. These bubble trays where the figure and/or accessory is shoved through several holes and you have to wrestle them out of the tray without bending, breaking, or stripping the paint off is like pulling teeth.

And then there's the crappy thin cheapo plastic used for far too many limbs on the figures. Poor Super Battle Droid can barely stand on his own without getting all bowlegged and falling down.

It's all a shame, Hasbro could be doing so much better.

Darth Vellner
08-23-2002, 03:08 AM
I keep a razor blade handy to get those figure and/or accessorys out of the tray without bending or breaking them.

Sinister Lord
08-23-2002, 06:06 PM
Since you asked for some pictures of my customs, here are a few. I do a lot of customs actually, sometimes with heat, sometimes by cutting them up with an x-acto blade, and sometimes by just repainting them. Using the boiling technique, I did this Stormtrooper with arms bent in such a way that he can better hold a Sandtrooper's weapon. And I bent X-Wing Luke's feet and legs to give him a more action oriented stance. These appear to be somewhat subtle differences, but they are significant if you compare them to the original pose. Here are these two:

Stormtrooper and Luke (http://e2stuff.homestead.com/files/repose1.jpg)

And using a combination of boiling, bending and cutting I made this "reclining" Slave Leia, who sits in the proper position next to my custom Jabba, in his palace. This is just Leia by herself:

Reclining Slave Leia (http://e2stuff.homestead.com/files/repose2.jpg)

TylerD
08-23-2002, 06:52 PM
You did a good job on those Sinister...the Leia's my favorite...she'd look great sitting next to Jabba.....

Sinister Lord
08-23-2002, 07:14 PM
Thanks... Yeah, she looks really nice next to my custom Jabba. I totally revamped the original POTF2 Jabba by disconnecting the "wagging tail" feature, reposing the head, redoing the eyes, and repainting the whole figure. It took a lot of work on Jabba, but now he looks almost exactly like the way he appeared in ROTJ. I don't have a picture of him at the moment, but I may try to produce one in the future. With my custom Leia, custom Jabba, Salacious Crumb, and Bib Fortuna all in place it makes for a fantastic display in Jabba's palace. The only thing I am missing is the "pipe and bowl" that Jabba has in the film. I may buy a vintage one or try to make a custom one eventually... or maybe one day Hasbro will make a new one for an accessory set (hint, hint!).

Mar10Sir
08-24-2002, 02:13 PM
Well... pretty cool stuff, Sinister Lord!

I must agree with JediTricks on the bubble thing and the general quality of Hasbro's SW figures. Improved articulation is cool, but something is being compromised along the way.

Anakin's arm, for example, keeps falling off easily and the Geonosian warriors won't stand on their feet unless you pose them weirdly as if they were arching back due to a horrible back pain or massive heart attack. Battle droids' legs are usually bent askew and look kind'a funny. I dunno'... I think some of the best figures Hasbro made were those of the Episode I line. Watto was an amazing work of art, the Naboo Royal Guards were way cool and so were the Naboo Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and the Tatooine Maul.

Some new features like some figure's ability of carrying their guns in their holsters are very nice, though. But some of the piant jobs are horrific! I had to sort through about 6 or 7 Count Dooku's to find one whose face expression didn't look like "oh no... bowel movement!". Same with Endor Raid Han Solo and cross-eyed Chewbaccas with electronic 3POs. I just think they (Hasbro) should balance things up a bit to keep up the quality of their figures.

Sinister Lord
08-25-2002, 07:45 AM
Incidentally, on the issue of the weak Battle Droid legs... the legs on the droids can be swapped, using the boiling technique. I switched one leg from the Security version with the one from the deluxe Mace... now both droids have at least one strong leg to stand on, and the good leg can be placed onto a peg for proper posing.

Darth Evil
08-25-2002, 05:51 PM
I really like the Stormtrooper, I might try that myself...

InsaneJediGirl
08-25-2002, 06:56 PM
I have to use a box cutter to get figures and accessories out of the package.My biggest gripe,however,is bendy weapons.I hate the new plastic/materials Hasbro is using.If the temperture in my house hits 80* and above(Which it often does in the heat of the afternoon),the weapons on the Saga Line just droop and it takes forever to get them back to shape.:cry::sad:

I havent had this problem with the harder POTJ and POTF2 plastics:D

JetsAndHeels
08-25-2002, 08:33 PM
I think one of the worst weapons quality wise is the rifle blaster that comes with preview Zam. That thing is such a waste of plastic!! It looks like a wilting flower the way it is bent over. Rather than waste my time with it, I threw it away. That poor quality is so dissappointing.
Another example, which I think was already mentioned, is the set of blasters with Djas Puhr. They are pretty lame as well, in terms of their flimsiness.
All in all I am pretty happy with the SAGA line so far, but some of these weapons and accessories have got to improve.

LusiferSam
08-27-2002, 12:21 AM
All around I'm not impressed with this line. Figures do lame things, their hard to get out, their accessories suck, and lot of my can't even stand because of misshapen legs and feet. Thank god for Lego.

Mar10Sir
08-27-2002, 01:44 AM
Well... the materials are lame. Some figures' sculpt/construction is lame. Their so-called "action" features are quite lame (although maybe little kids find them fun to play with, I dunno'). And the accessories are the worst so far (specifically the "blast effects").

Overall, the appeal of the line may have dropped for some people. Some new features are cool, though, like the metal lightsabers with removable blades and gun holsters, and some figures are still worth looking at (so far my favorite figure of the new Saga line is the AOTC Supreme Chancellor Palpatine followed by the Massiff). I just wish Hasbro brings back their old QA (quality assurance) team from the original Episode I line.