PDA

View Full Version : question about price/package

Anakin
08-23-2002, 12:59 AM
are figures with damaged packages cheaper?
i.e. i see a TA anakin (just an example) with perfect package for 4.77, if i ruffle the package a bit/lot does that mean i can get him for cheaper?

that would mean i have to FIND TA anakin first:(

Thunderstorm1
08-23-2002, 01:03 AM
I doubt it at retail, you may be able to buy some none mint cards from on line retailers for a little cheaper.

Beast
08-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Not usually, most stores will not discount an item if the packaging is damaged, because to many people in the past pulled exactly what you are talking about.

And if someone catches you purposefully damaging the packaging in the aisles, you will likely end up with a fist in the head, or reported to a manager. The manager will likely make you pay for any damage you have done, and then may ban you from the store.

It gives the collecting hobby a huge black eye if you do stuff like that, because it makes them want to not carry the product to avoid future problems. So I hope you arn't serious. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Big Chewie
08-23-2002, 02:31 AM
At my old job whenever someone found a damaged item we were not allowed to sell it to them.
Then they made us destroy that item and wouldnt let us have them or buy them.
A manager actually watched you destroy the item before putting it in the trash.

This was just for that reason, so you wouldnt damage something on purpose just to get it cheaper.

AdmiralPiett
08-23-2002, 02:53 AM
I saw at my local TRU that some packages looked like they'd gotten squashed in a box while being shipped and they were marked down a little to $3.??. I hope you're not really considering trying this! That just makes everything more expensive for the rest of us honest purchasers. I hope anyone that tries this gets prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Piett

Anakin
08-23-2002, 12:34 PM
i was just wonderin, i have never done that before, most likely never will so don't go gettin jumpy for me bein curious;)

Lord Tenebrous
08-23-2002, 12:59 PM
On my observation, children have no problem with buying cards with trashed cards and smashed bubbles.

So if you want to haggle with prices, go to a flea market, because no matter the condition of the packaging, these items still sell.

187-Maul
08-30-2002, 09:47 AM
I too absolutely don't care for smashed bubbles or torn cards snce I'm a LOOSE collector
I recently bought the unleashd maul and every card was totally torn and taped to the peg (no kidding!) and were normal price so the store didn't care for that (and I didn't do too)

jedi_uk73
08-30-2002, 01:15 PM
It's only the figure / item itself that demands the price you see at retail.

The manufacturers generally do not include cards, bubbles or boxes etc in the final retail price.

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 05:10 PM
What I hate it when a new hot figure looks like it has been dented or creased on purpose because someone didn't have the cash or they didn't want a MOMC collector to get it.

Turbowars
09-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Anakin
are figures with damaged packages cheaper?
i.e. i see a TA anakin (just an example) with perfect package for 4.77, if i ruffle the package a bit/lot does that mean i can get him for cheaper?

that would mean i have to FIND TA anakin first:( WARNING>>>>WARNING>>>> we have a package ruffler on our site!!! LOL JK. Man, Awhile ago when the 12" Dewback was just released, someone cut the plastic window and pulled out the troopers back pack and probe (you know his long stick) so I asked if I could get a discount and the manager said sure and gave a whole $4 off. What a jerk. That dewback sat there until the box fell apart and was probably thrown away. I'm happy I didn't buy it because it really looks better with the Probe thingy, besides thy went on sale for 29.99.

Sinister Lord
09-01-2002, 05:36 PM
I have seen scalpers intentionally damaging packages so that there are no mint packages left on the shelf of an uncommon figure... then they take the mint ones and sell them at the flea market for an inflated price. This stuff happens all the time... it's absolutely criminal! I hate scalpers.

tagmac
09-01-2002, 05:40 PM
I, too, open mine, so I don't care if the package is damaged, as long as the figure isn't. I bought Han/Chewie/Obi when they first came out, and all the bubbles were crushed, but it didn't matter. And if damaged cards keep crooks and scalpers from loading up their carts with figures, then it's even better as far as I'm concerned.

Sinister, I hope you saw my "Attention Scalper Haters" thread.....I think you'll be equally as disgusted as I was.