PDA

View Full Version : padme' CA with her helmet on looks like crap!

hango fett
08-23-2002, 06:49 AM
found this at rebelscum....you can barely tell it's her! they need to make those helemt visors more see-through.

Geonosian
08-23-2002, 06:58 AM
Indeed.
Who actually will buy this figure??

hango fett
08-23-2002, 07:06 AM
we will, but i probably won't get it out of the pack.
h

LTBasker
08-23-2002, 07:08 AM
Typho's no better, I think it's the design of the helmet and the way they do the see through visor stuff that interrupts the helmets from fitting on better.

Geonosian
08-23-2002, 07:09 AM
Yea, true but this figure is just [EDITED].

Mod Note: Getting around the auto censor is not allowed, so knock it off
DA

hango fett
08-23-2002, 07:21 AM
the only good thing about it is that it's a padme'! and i wouldn't mind having the extra gun from the fig...
h

LTBasker
08-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Geonosian
Yea, true but this figure is just [EDITED].

The idea of the gimmick sucks but at least the button blends in well. Doubt you can move the arm alone though like regular articulation, but it's nicely hidden compared to the rest even Zam's (which sticks out like a sore button).

Not too bad detail on her though, and the picture they have of the exploded Dish is just awesomely detailed.

The True Maul
08-23-2002, 08:01 AM
I'll buy it an keep it loose because i'm a loose collector I just won't put the helmet on! :)

JEDIpartner
08-23-2002, 08:10 AM
Well... since she's supposed to be "anonymous" in this scene... it makes sense that you can't tell it's her!!! :happy:

I AM right, you know. ;)

hango fett
08-23-2002, 08:29 AM
happy b-day, JEDIpartnr!! i'll say your right today because it's your b-day!
h

KIDD
08-23-2002, 09:17 AM
id say hes right aswell because she is supposed to be incognito

LTBasker
08-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Well... since she's supposed to be "anonymous" in this scene... it makes sense that you can't tell it's her!!! :happy:

I AM right, you know. ;)

True, but what good is it if she can't see and then she goes "wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............. .." all the way over the side of the platform? ;)

Edit: Forgot to put this in. Happy Birthday Partnr. :cool:

Val Da Car
08-23-2002, 10:49 AM
Does she bounce when she hits the bottom......

Lord Tenebrous
08-23-2002, 11:45 AM
:rolleyes: Back on topic...

I think it's a good move. The Naboo Security and Naboo Royal Guard weren't as common as other army builders (Battle Droid, Destroyer Droid), so I count these as both Typho/Amidala, and generic male/female Naboo soldiers/pilots

And I say this because 1) The Senatorial Yacht would be a very expensive, risky retail venture, and 2) Corde's role doesn't translate well into an action figure.

JangoFart
08-23-2002, 12:05 PM
You preach it, JEDIpartnr!

Look JUST because you can't tell it's someone who you're NOT SUPPOSED to be able to tell it is does NOT make the figure "*****", as was said.

The figure itself is a nice one with good detail and some nice diorama-building extras. If you don't wanna buy it, don't. If you do, go for it and add a nice looking fig to your already too-$#^@'ing-big collections anyway :)

J

Oh, yeah, Happy B-Day, JP! How old?

The Overlord Returns
08-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Looks like an alright figure to me...........

I'd pick one up if I ha d a place for it that made sense in my sw display.

Beast
08-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Looks great to me. I never judge figures by pictures on-line though. You can't trust them to be 100% accurate to what you hold in your hands.

The visors in the movie for the helmets were yellowish also. That was because they didn't want you knowing it was Padme. So it looks movie accurate to me. And the radar dish is awesome as hell. :D

BTW, Happy Birthday JEDIpartnr. Hopefully you get somthing cool for your birthday. Be sure to let us know everything you get. Hope you have a wonderful day. Just kick back, relax, and enjoy yourself. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JangoFart
08-23-2002, 12:38 PM
Um, ok, I didn't see the 96pt font there. :)

35, eh? That's cool the see that I'm not the only "adult" here - and I use that term hesitantly.

I'll be 32 in a couple of months and I've never been into SW as much as I have in the past few years. However, I find myself going after more and more Raiders of the Lost Ark action figures lately, as well.

Hope you have a great day!

J

Jargo
08-23-2002, 05:24 PM
I just ordered mine. Should have it either tomorrow or tuesdat because there's a bank holiday weekend looming and they screw up deliveries over those. I hate the button thing and don't see why she needed knees but the sculpt is actually really good. The coloring on the figure is nice and the helmet does look poopy on like Typho's did/does. But it's a Naboo pilot that looks ok unlike Ric Olie the cruddiest pilot ever.

Dale, you're oficially over the hill :evil: wasn't menopause at thirty chuck? how norty of me..... :D ( I'm only a squeak behind you at 34 though :( )

Have a great day Dale and you've got mail BTW. ;)

Darth Sidious
08-23-2002, 06:19 PM
The figure/dish arent bad, I suppose, but the helmet is horrid! It is so high up on her face, it looks ridiculous!

hango fett
08-23-2002, 07:11 PM
i aggree 100%, darth sidious. eeeewww...but ohter than the helemt and the gimmik, it's a ok figure.
h

sith_killer_99
08-23-2002, 07:23 PM
Happy B-Day JP!

I think the figure looks OK. But I will wait to see it up close before I make a final decision.

Darth Sidious
08-23-2002, 07:27 PM
And I know she is supposed to be incognito, but exactly what species is she disguised as? :D :D :D With a seemingly long neck and big head, she looks like Yarael Poof!

sith_killer_99
08-23-2002, 07:29 PM
lol:D

Jedi Law Student
08-23-2002, 11:48 PM
I will admit upfront my bias in favor of all Padme figures, but I really like this one in particular. It's a fairly neutral sculpt, but with good articulation. I think the helmet is pretty cool, too. This is a perfect pilot for the Naboo Fighter. Which reminds me, who would like to see the Naboo Fighter repackaged for Episode II? Maybe with some battle damage or something. Or maybe even packaged with Pilot Padme like they did with the Jedi Starfighter and Obi-Wan.

Happy birthday JEDIpartnr!

LTBasker
08-24-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Law Student
Which reminds me, who would like to see the Naboo Fighter repackaged for Episode II? Maybe with some battle damage or something. Or maybe even packaged with Pilot Padme like they did with the Jedi Starfighter and Obi-Wan.

Happy birthday JEDIpartnr!

Yeah maybe, with the Red R2 unit from the Royal Starship.
Somethings it would really need to be a little more..."new":

Insides redone, a little more detail, a little more space and Pilot Ani's control console installed on it
Red R2 unit pack-in
More "bass" to the recordings
New paint job, more used looking
Removeable pilot ladder
Retracting landing struts (I know they float in E2, but that just looks poodoo. ;))

Chiesa
08-24-2002, 01:32 AM
I figure that the Padme looks really great!! It has an incredible sculpt with decent articulation... Perhaps some may complain about the gimmick but overall I think its a decent figure!

Cheers :D

Darth Vellner
08-24-2002, 02:14 AM
LOOK at the size of that noggin!
I can't wait for that radar thing -and it comes with a padme!

Obi-Don
08-24-2002, 04:20 AM
I would buy this figure. I always like to think whats under her........Helmit.

Darth Evil
08-24-2002, 06:35 AM
It's a lot better than the other AOTC Padme anyway. I'll probably get her, if I see her.

Jargo
08-24-2002, 08:25 AM
The Naboo fighter re-released with new paint deco sounds good. Battle scarring, knocks and scrapes and carbon blast marks. But subtle not heavy black like the snowspeeder and x-wing. I reckon the cockpit is fine as it is they just need to permanently install the control piece that packed with anakin pilot. The droid up top is too small but if they make it bigger the episode one naboo fighter will look stupid so they just need to repaint it. The sounds and lights can go as far as I'm concerned and help reduce the cost. I'm not too fussed on the missile firing thing either but at least it's in the right place and was in the movie. So leave that in.
Instead of the sounds and lights they can pack in the ladder and detachable legs. I' don't want the body messed up with retractable legs so if they were just snap on all you'd have underneath is a few small holes rather than huge rectangular holes. They could even make it like a cradle out of clear plastic. That way you'd still have the floating effect. Or just a clear stand with one connection point in the center of the belly. Put in a slide out panel to cover the connection points when suspended or 'in flight' and not ruin the sculpt with ugliness.

They could even give the fighter blast damage and have one wing blast off at the flick of a switch. Or both a wing and the tail section. I loved seeing the naboo fighter get blown to pieces inthe movie so I think I'd like a toy to do that. Just so long as the joins where concealed and fairly strong and the whole ship wasn't made from bendy rubber plastic.

Good idea. :)

2-1B
08-24-2002, 12:09 PM
I'm not impressed by the visor, in the movie they are indeed tinted but they are not fuzzy like that.
You can tell plain as day that it's Padme under there, and it's not like they're trying to hide the identity of Typho either.

Beast
08-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Nice ideas for the Naboo Fighter, Jargo. How about actually making the underside chrome. They have to have some extra chrome laying around after they vac-metaled all those Darth Vader figures. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 02:50 PM
Sometimes I really just don't understand what people expect out of a $5 action figure. She looks fine. In fact I wasn't planning on buying this figure until I saw these pictures. This is easily the best Padme figure made since 1999. So what if her head is big? So is Natalie Portman's.;)

RooJay
08-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Her head is not big...that's what we in the real world refer to as a helmet. It is supposed to look bigger than the human head because it fits over the top of one. Speaking of fitting over the human head; accessories of this type are seldom attached properly in these kinds of photos, and I'm willing to bet that it would've looked fine if the person setting up the photo had just pushed the helmet all the way down (they never do that when they take catalog photos of helmeted figures!). I too, would love for the visor to be perfect, but I argue that t's just about as perfect as it could get, and as perfect as could be expected for an accessory that is too small to fit over your pinky finger. Like BigB says, what do you folks expect for a five dollar action figure?

p.s. should I feel unloved since no one wished me a happy birthday last time mine came around? :(

Anakin
08-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
:rolleyes: Back on topic...

And I say this because 1) The Senatorial Yacht would be a very expensive, risky retail venture, and 2) Corde's role doesn't translate well into an action figure.

hehe, i can see it now "Corde: with burning and dying action!"

LTBasker
08-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Sometimes I really just don't understand what people expect out of a $5 action figure.

Ephant Mon....? ;)

Originally posted by bigbarada
So what if her head is big? So is Natalie Portman's.;)

So true. I think her head just looks big on the figure because the hair is supposed to be matted down from the helmet.

NRPeace
08-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Does anybody else notice a recurring theme in these posts? I see it like this:

The pre-release hype of any given given figure goes: "GOODIE, GOODIE, GOODIE!!!! They're finally making a [character name] with a [accessory type] and [action gimmick, pose, or deco]. I've wanted this for ages!!! I can't wait to get it!!!"

The release and couple of weeks following it goes: "Where is the darn thing?! Why can't my [chain of toy store] get it sooner?"

one month after release goes: "This stinks! How could they screw this up again? Why don't those bad men at Hasbro just relieve themselves on my children while they're at it?! I can't believe I paid money for this! I'm never buying another Star Wars figure as long as I live, and this time I mean it!"

Now, I understand some figures are better than others, but all the hype and criticism loses all it's impact when you see it over and over again. I fall into the category that I think most of us fall into: I'm not sure whether my love of Star Wars is a hobby or an addiction, but I know that there is a pretty good chance I'll pick up the next wave despite the evil things that are said about it by some of the posts. I understand that Hasbro is just doing it's job and making the most amount of money possible while doing it. I, or one, am thrilled at how far the line has come since 1995. Back then, I would have been ecstatic to find a figure with a removable helmet, or knee articultion, or a large scale prop from the movie, or "quick draw action", but here's one that has all of those, and a very good sculpt. I think criticism is your right as a consumer, but please keep in mind that Utopia is a long way off, and everybody who makes the merchandise we crave so much is in the business of making money. Sorry to be a jerk about the whole thing, but I read these forums to share my hobby with others who might be interested. I usually end up sifting through too much whining to even bother trying to find the constructive thoughts. Thanks for reading and please don't flame me too bad.

Jargo
08-27-2002, 03:55 PM
I just bought this Padme figure and it's crap. It started out as an honest to goodness sculpt that was really fly. Then the added in the gimmick and trashed the one arm. Then they added in knees and trashed the skinny little legs. Then the made the helmet too small to fit over her head. Then the waist joint was made sloppy and loose. Finally they put her gun on the wrong side of her tunic. Typho has his on the right which is the correct side. his gun sits just right. They put padmes on the left so it fits upside down and gets in the way.

The blast apart radar dish won't go together without a degree in civil engineering because the holes on the underside of the center spigot are too small to take the pegs in the base. The flipping lever that 'explodes' the piece is so badly connected by these tiny tiny little bumps and not properly hinged so it just drops out and it's so small you'll lose it faster than you can say this is absolute crap.

The basic concept of the figure is fine, the sculpt was originally absolutely tiptop, the face is so like Nat Portman it's uncanny, but the finished article is total crap. Ruined by pointless crappy gimmick and shoddy production values.

However, she looks great stood next to Typho. Just don't expect too much from this if you open. Looks good in the package BTW.

Just offering an alternative to the last post.

JEDIpartner
08-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the all the birthday salutations! I DID have a great birthday and, aside from Jargo's loving comments :rolleyes:, 35 is pretty good so far. Okay... so I still have to go through a barrage of tests to find out what;s been ailing me for the last month after I got the food poisoning, but I'm happy.

I got the X-wing for my b-day... not a bad score for, what to me is, "free". JediDrew found me the Landspeeder and the first three Star Tours figures... this guy is a miracle worker! I just found two of the Cantina sets... I'll leave it to Drew to find me the Greedo one! ;) Mum ordered the Republic Gunship for me since she was raving about it after we saw the film. She was set on getting me that... now we just have to wait for W*M.com to deliver! I had a couple good dinners with Dad and Stepmonster, Mum and my aunt (who shares the same birthdate) as well as my better half... who got me the DVDs for "2001", "2010" and "Tron". No clothes!!! Thank God! No one knows how to shop for me...

Anyhow... It's a shame that the Padme figure was a little on the weak side. I still think that it looks rather good, but hey... what can you say? Jargo's got one in his furry little paws :evil: and I've only seen the pics. I'm still getting her... good scene filler. Perhaps the one I get won't be as hastily cobbled together from cat poop as Jargo's appears to be.

Jargo
08-28-2002, 09:30 AM
JP, course I loves ya, who couldn't. :happy: I'm sure we all hope the doctors find the lurgy that's making you poorly sick and sort it all out soon. We miss seeing you on the boards. It's not the same when you're absent right guys? ...guys? :stupid:

187-Maul
08-30-2002, 07:56 AM
I actually don't care about the helmet, her likeness, her gimmick and here gun being on the wrong side but still like this figure pretty much
I saw her in singapore in the package (but didn't buy it since it was overpriced) and am absolutely gonna buy this figure since I recently bought typho and the two will go perfect as some pilots in my cantina diorama (I even like it more if she doesn't look like padme since sh'e not supposed to be her in the dio:D, just some pilot)

just my 2 cents...

TylerD
08-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Hey 187-Maul...how much money do the figures cost in Singapore? (in US dollars please)

187-Maul
08-31-2002, 12:37 PM
I only was there 2 days so I don't know the price of all stores but I saw Padme Pilot in toy-speciality shop and it was about 14US$ so that says evreything