PDA

View Full Version : So, who was alive to see the orginal release of the original Trilogy?

icatch9
08-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Star Wars fans are vast in age. I wounder who on SSG was alive to see the OT in it's original form in the theaters? Now if you don't want to share your age that's ok.

I did see the original movies in the theaters in the 80's I saw Star Wars in a re-release my theater did befor ESB came out and then saw the others. I wasn't very old, but I remember seeing all 3 in the theaters. So, I've been a fan since befor I can remember.

Who else can claim they saw the OT in the theaters when they first came out?

bigbarada
08-23-2002, 12:30 PM
I was alive when the OT was released (I was 4 years old in 1977), however I never actually saw any of them in the theaters. My parents never went to movies and wouldn't take me or my brother. It wasn't until we were both teenagers that we were allowed to go to movies by ourselves (I was 4 for ANH, 7 for ESB, and 10 for ROTJ); but by then the films were long gone and I have never seen ANH or ESB on the big screen (I caught ROTJ:SE on it's last night in 1997).

Patient Zero
08-23-2002, 12:33 PM
I saw New Hope in the drive-in in Scranton, PA. I think it is even still there.

Rogue II
08-23-2002, 12:36 PM
I saw Star Wars at a drive in theater when I was 4. I admit, I fell asleep and missed the destruction of the death star , or as my mom explained it "Luke Skywalker flew his ship and blew up the planet." I got my first action figures for the movie not long after that.

I ended up seeing it in the theater later. I saw ESB at the drive-in when it was first released. And in May 1983, the opening of ROTJ coinsided with one of my best friend's 10th birthday. We stood in line forever with his mom and finally got in. We were crammed together in the front row of the theater.

Beast
08-23-2002, 12:37 PM
I saw all of them when I was a wee lad. I was only a little over 1 year old when Star Wars opened in '77. But my mom had taken my older brother so she had to take me as well. Oddly I actually remeber it, but very vaguely. I remember the Jawa popping up and shooting poor R2-D2 and a couple other things. My Mom says that I sat really quietly and actually watched the screen. Any wonder that I'm such a Star Wars geek now. I of course was a bit older when the others opened, so I can remember them alot better. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
08-23-2002, 12:38 PM
I saw ANH in some theater in London, Ontario, Canada on August 16th, 1977 the same day Elvis died.

and I've been hooked since

Vortex
08-23-2002, 12:43 PM
I was there, even though my first showing of ANH, I was out in the lobby playing pinball most of the movie till the action started.

ESB and RTOJ - Seen'em in the theaters as a kid.

QLD
08-23-2002, 12:45 PM
I was there for ANH, but I was about 3. I don't remember it at all really. But my brother does.

I remember going to see ESB and ROTJ perfectly well though.
Saw both of them with my grandfather and brother.
;)

icatch9
08-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Hey Jar Jar,

I too claim star wars as my first memory. I remember walking up to the theater with my dad and brother under the big old fashioned markey (sp?) the theater had. Then I remember being scared when the Sandperson poped up and attacked Luke. I was 1 1/2 years old (if that). Very cool first memory for me :), and thanks to my dad I was brorn and bread a Star Wars fan.

He saw it open in '77 and when he saw the Star Destroyer fly over at the beggining and shake the house he said to himself "this is going to be soemthing else". Ever since then he's been hooked too. That was a more than a year befor I was born and just weeks after my brother was born. So, I was lucky enough to have a father who loved the movies as much as I did.

Patient Zero
08-23-2002, 12:52 PM
Hell, I had my first beer in the parking lot after seeing ESB. I really hate beer! Who the hell gives a 5 year old beer!?! People suck!

stormie
08-23-2002, 12:53 PM
I actually didn't want to see SW back in '77. From the trailers on tv, it looked kinda boring. When my family moved in '78, all the new kids were really into SW, so I pretty much had to see it that year. I was hooked then. Waited in line when both ESB and ROTJ were released. :D

scruffziller
08-23-2002, 01:37 PM
Yep I was there training pants and all, nah I was potty trained. I was 31/2 when ANH came out. All I remember was the scene when they were in the Death Star computer room and Luke looking out towards the Twin suns at the Tatooine dusk. I remeber seeing ESB and ROTJ more so clear though.

robman71
08-23-2002, 01:38 PM
I was in the theater in 77 to see star wars as well. I saw Empire for the first time at a Drive in movie, and Jedi was my first multiplex experience.

jedi master sal
08-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Not only was I alive when it came out, I saw it on the first day back in 1977. I was 7 getting close to 8 when I saw it.

(I'll be 33 this coming Wednesday 28 Aug 02)

sith_killer_99
08-23-2002, 01:53 PM
I have told the story before, but here goes:

I was 3 years old when Star Wars opened in theaters back in 1977. Plus, I was born in MAY, so I was exactly 3 years old. It is also my earliest childhood memory. When Luke first ignited that lightsaber on Tatooine, I was hooked.

Anyway, we sat through the credits! The lights came up and I just sat there....waiting for more. When my parents told me it was time to leave, I cried.....It couldn't be over.

Yep that was me. Sitting in quiet awe through the WHOLE movie, and crying when it was over. I was a FANATIC about Star Wars even as a child. I had to have all the toys (not much has changed).

Anyway, I have seen each of the movies in the theaters TWICE. To include EP2! It just always seems to work out that way.

hango fett
08-23-2002, 02:22 PM
my dad was alive. he said that there was a moderate crowd back then, too!
h

DahrJin
08-23-2002, 02:59 PM
I was there!

Yes, I was 8 years old when my life was changed forever. :D

I remember my dad getting us out of school so we could go see this neat new space movie. Once I saw it, there was no turnning back, I was hooked, and will be for the rest of my days.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-23-2002, 03:11 PM
I was almost 7 when ANH (back then we just called it Star Wars ;) ) came out. My dad said he was going to take me, my mom and my baby brother to see it at the drive-in. For some reason I misunderstood him and thought it was called Star Warts. I was so dang confused about what was going on except that there were good guys being chased by bad guys. I remember being really enthralled by the whole thing, but that I wanted it to end because I had to pee really badly. When the Battle of Yavin started up I thought, "How long is this movie? When is it going to be over?"

I think I saw it at least ten times between the original release and the rerelease in 1978.

I also saw ESB at the same drive-in in LA but this time me and my younger brother were old enough to sit on top of our car and watch it. I had a dopey friend in the fourth grade who saw it the day before we did and he told the whole class all the major spoilers like seeing the back of Vader's head, Luke getting fileted, and that he was Vader's son. I was sooooo mad at him for that.

By the time ROTJ came around I don't think there were that many drive-ins left so I saw it at a duplex theater with a friend the day it was released. My mom got us after school and dropped us off. I think we stood in line for 2 hrs. before getting in. I didn't realize it was supposed to be the last SW movie chronologically so I was surprised when Vader ate it at the end.

I'm glad I have so many fond memories of the whole experience. I wish I could experience all three movies as a kid again.

Jargo
08-23-2002, 03:39 PM
um, yeah. check the how old are you threads for all your forumites who were alive back then. simple mathematics should do the trick. :)

floppy hat jon
08-23-2002, 03:40 PM
I remember seeing all 3 at our local ERIC theater (they don't still exist, do they?). I was just shy of 4 when SW came out. I have much more vivid memories of ESB and ROTJ. When ROTJ showed up at our local second run theater (within walking distance of our house), my brother and I must have seen ROTJ 20 times that summer.

billfremore
08-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Not only was I alive when it came out, I saw it on the first day back in 1977. I was 7 getting close to 8 when I saw it.

(I'll be 33 this coming Wednesday 28 Aug 02)

Don't worry Sal, I'm an oldbie too.
I was 7 when I saw it.

SWAFMAN
08-23-2002, 05:08 PM
I was in high school when ANH came out, and am a (*sort-of) grandparent now that EP2 is out. I'm still under 40, though.

Saw ANH at a drive-in the first time, and in theatres several times that opening summer. Stood in an around-the-block line to see opening night of ESB. I honestly can't remember my first theatre-viewing of ROTJ, but that probably just means I had a VERY good time ;). Been able to take my own kids to EP1 & 2, which is great.

*my very-long-time girlfriend's daughter had a child, making me a quasi-grandparent

JediTricks
08-24-2002, 03:13 AM
I was alive to see it, but not quite 2 years old - SW was the 2nd movie I had seen. I think I saw ESB at the Mann National in Westwood or some theater downtown that was of similar design and shape, but it was too much of a downer for my young mind to get excited about. I remember most vividly standing in the blazing sun on opening day for ROTJ at the Grauman's Egyptian though, that was wild!

Eternal Padawan
08-24-2002, 08:38 AM
Star Wars was my first movie. I was three years old.

ROLLO!

jobi
08-24-2002, 10:41 AM
I was 5 when Star Wars hit the theatres. And I didn't see it only once I made my parents take me every weekend for 3 months. I still remember standing in a line that wrapped around the building. Ahhh, memories. My big sister and I got some of the toys right after they came out. Man those were the days, no car payments, no mortgages, and no job. It was great being a kid.

Pendo
08-24-2002, 02:21 PM
I was alive for ESB and ROTJ, but never went to see them at the cinema because I was only 5 when ROTJ came out. I probably wouldn't have understood it at that age, especially not before seeing the other two movies. I first saw Star Wars the year after when I was 6.

PENDO!

jjreason
08-25-2002, 03:54 AM
I was 5 when SW hit, but didn't see it until the rerelease in 78. I got hooked into it first by the toy adds, and the eventual receipt of my first figure - tatooine Luke. Still have it. Then came other figures and the large picture story book of the story. When I was in grade 1 I read the novelization of the movie (my teacher had to get me the book out of the library because the librarian wouldn't give it to a 7 year old).
I remember my first viewing pretty solidly - there was a trailer for ESB at the beginning (realizing now it may have been 79 when I saw it?). The scene where Vader enters the Tantive IV had me pushing myself back into my seat in fear.
Now when my dad hears of me still collecting the toys, he will ask sarcastically if Im not still afraid of Vader. Smart alec.
For ESB my folks took my brother and I opening weekend. Sold out. Nearly crying. Dad went back and bought tickets for the late show and kept us out til all hours. Dad rocked.
ROTJ. Grade 5. Snuck downtown on the bus after school with my other SW friend to see it. Way downtown, on the "other side of the tracks" so to speak. Caught hell for that but it was worth it.

plasticfetish
08-25-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
I saw New Hope in the drive-in in Scranton, PA. I think it is even still there.

Wait ... the drive-in or the movie?

I remember seeing all 3 when they came out. I was 8(ish) when "A New Hope" came out ... I think I got to see it 2 or 3 times. I remember when "Empire" came out more vividly ... I suppose the anticipation was much greater then.

KIDD
08-25-2002, 09:46 PM
i was 3 when it came out and i was there

JetsAndHeels
08-25-2002, 10:07 PM
The only OT movie I remember seeing was ROTJ, and I was 5 years old then. I don't remember all the details, but I do vividly recall my dad and I going in and all the people there lined up for it.
My best memory of it though was seeing the great "sword" fight (That's what I called them) between Darth Vader and Luke at the end. And then after the movie my dad took me to the store and I bought a Royal Guard figure.
Those were the days. I will never forget them.

Exhaust Port
08-26-2002, 04:33 PM
I saw all three of the OT in the theater with SW being the first movie that I saw in an actual theater as a kid. I didn't see SW as soon as it was out but saw it months later when it was showing in a second run theater. No scenes stick out in my mind in particular rather just being wowed by the images and characters. ESB is what got me completely hooked. I was amazed to see the return of so many characters/ships of SW return to continue the story. It was great!

RooJay
08-26-2002, 08:12 PM
The only Star Wars movie that I didn't get to see on opening day was ROTJ. I was still fairly young and couldn't get anyone to take me until the second week! Man, did that ever suck! Even my two youngest aunties, who are only five and six years older than me and who are not Star Wars fans, got to see it before I did! They teased me relentlessly about how cool it was until I finally saw it!
Although I was quite young way back then, I was there on opening day for the original. I was only four years old (I have quite a good memory for such things, and my earliest verifiable memory was from the age of two.), but I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember not only watching the movie, but who I watched it with, and where we were standing in line! This was atruly profound experience for me, and had a definite impact on my life.

mabudonicus
08-26-2002, 08:17 PM
I seen em. They were pretty good movies :)

Mar10Sir
08-28-2002, 02:23 AM
I saw the first SW movie back in '77 when I was 8. Saw it about 6 times in the theater and then a few other times when it was re-released.

Saw ESB 'bout 4 times and ROJ probably the same. Since the movies came out on VHS I've seen 'em over a few hundred times. Enough to know all the dialogue lines, even those in Hutteese ("Oolya too'ta Solo?").

Saw TPM about 6 times at the theater (3 the first day) and AOTC about the same. Yeah... I'm a SW junkie. So what?

figrin bran
08-28-2002, 02:41 AM
i actually had some of the figures before i saw any of the films...death star droid, r2, darth vader, mail away boba fett. so then when ESB came out, i begged my parents to take me. what a profound experience that was. even when you are that young and cannot fully express in words what's happening to you, you still know nonetheless that it is something very deep.

and then 3 years later, i too was in the same line as jeditricks for ROJ at the Egyptian in Hollywood on opening day. and i remember seeing some kids in my class in line as well. and by that time, my figure collection had grown, a precursor of things to come...:D

Master Goeweins
08-28-2002, 10:22 AM
My mom was a Trekkie and she loved all things Sci-Fi, so she took me at the age of 3. She took me 8 times... so, yeah I remember it. We saw ESB opening night (the latest showing because that's how long the line was). We also waited for hours to see ROTJ on opening day too. This made for a base of inspiration for all of my life, both as a SW fan and as an opening day movie watcher.

stillakid
08-28-2002, 11:06 AM
I was 8 when my parents took me and my brothers to Star Wars.

My only distinct memories from back then are unwrapping the novelization at Christmas (the one that split down the middle eventually), acting like Stormtroopers with my brothers in the parking lot after the movie, and getting my first action figure (R2 D2). I've got all the Bantha Tracks (except for the original four) so I must have joined fairly soon after seeing it (though I'm missing the Boba Fett issue. I remember "loaning" it to a friend and him promptly losing it. If anyone out there can hook me up, I'd really appreciate it. :) ).

I was heavy into Space 1999 then and drew Eagles and TIE battles incessantly. My first lasting memory of The Empire Strikes Back was hearing about it from a classmate (smokin' hot, as I recall in retrospect...I wonder where she is now...you know, you really don't appreciate the finer things in life when you're young like that...but I digress) in Fifth grade. I overheard her telling somebody that Vader was Luke's father. My first-ever "spoiler."

It must not have bothered me too much, because I recall devouring the Return of the Jedi novelization the night before we were going to see it in '83. I pretty much sought out "spoiler" information about Jedi, though at that time, it wasn't really called that. My interest in "behind the scenes" was growing so I was more interested in the process (fx, locations, etc) than really learning about the story itself.

JediTricks
08-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Goeweins, that reminds me of how long the line was for ROTJ (it wasn't THAT long, but it was like 2 showings worth at least). We (all of us, as a society) used to put up with long lines a lot more than we do now. I waited at least 5 hours for ROTJ with my grandmother in the blazing Hollywood sun back in '83 and it was only a minor inconvenience. Now, I guess we have so many more theaters that waiting more than an hour just seems so uncouth.

stillakid
08-29-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
... back in '83 ...

If I remember correctly, that $4.50 was an outrageous price for a ticket, at least where I was from.

Val Da Car
04-09-2003, 10:26 AM
I was 7 when Star Wars came out, 10 for TESB and 13 RoTJ.

I don't remember seeing Star Wars near opening but I do remember an X-Wing filling up the screen for the Death Star Trench run and never being the same after that moment!!!

After that I was there opening night for TESB and Rotj.

On a personal note I returned the favorite with my older brother for opening night of Ep2 I took him to the midnight showing like he did for me when I was 10.

It was awesome and a great time .....(to warm up for the event we rewatched Ep1 to get up to speed.)

just thought I would share that.

The Overlord Returns
04-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Count me among those who were alive and viewing when the OT were first released. However, I was a young wee tot when ANH arrived, so I remember very little.

Also, I was incredibly sick when ESB was released, but emanded that I see it opening day, despite the fact that I could barely walk. I fell asleep half way through, but my older brother was nice enough to take me back once I was well :D

bobafrett
04-09-2003, 12:42 PM
I feel like the old timer here. I was 12 when ANH came out. My birthday is in May, right around the time the OT came to theatres. As many of you remember I'm sure, each of the films came out in May. I don't remember where I saw it for the first time, but I do remember how I felt after seeing ANH for the first time.

I got to see ESB and ROTJ opening week, because I didn't have a car to get there opening day. I still get as excited and giddy whan I see any SW trailer today, just as I did in the days of my youth. Obviously, I'm still hooked, otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum. Thanks SirSteve for giving us a place to talk with fellow fans!

Kidhuman
04-09-2003, 03:54 PM
I remember seeing them all in theatres. I remember getting the toy catalogs too. I loved them. I was 4 when SW came out and I was hooked ever since. Now I don't even thinkrehab could save me.

keith koth
04-09-2003, 04:50 PM
I was 4 years old when ANH hit theaters. I went to see 3 or 4 times at the drive-in theater in Dallas, Tx. I must have watched ANH 100+ times on cable television as a child...me and my brother had ever line in the movie memorized. Those were some great times...I sure do miss them! :cry:

When ESB hit theaters, my father had to go on the road for his job...he took my brother and I with him so my mother could have some quiet time. :confused: We (my brother and I ) made my father take us to see ESB every night we were on the road...I believe we saw it 8 days in a row...starting from opening night. I remember ticket lines completely encircling the outside of the movie theater on opening night...of course that was back in the day when there was only one movie theater within a reasonable distance...and movies were only shown on one screen.

I saw ROTJ about 15 times in the theater...man I loved those Ewoks. :D Around the same time ROTJ came out, I began to take an interest in the girls...needless to say, I did not really give the Star Wars Trilogy much attention after that...untill...I met my wife and we both admitted that we loved Star Wars. That was around the same time that ANH Special Edition was released in theaters. We Went to see ANH, ESB, and ROTJ together several times...And even had a Star Wars themed wedding in...Las Vegas. :crazed:

Do I qualify as a legitimate "Star Wars Geek"? I hope so!

Dialogus
04-09-2003, 07:41 PM
I saw SW in the summer of '79. I was 7. I can still remember me looking day after day in the paper in (a new) hope that one, just one theater can feature it one more time. Ah! The boost through to my heart when my eyes caught up with the teaser...I went 2 see it next day. Cantina scene still rulz!

I went 2 see ESB in '80 and ROTJ in '83 a couple of days after they were in. I saw all 3 movies with my father, brother and cousins...talk about family business.

Dialogus
04-09-2003, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dialogus
[B]I saw SW in the summer of '79. I was 7.

Come 2 think of it...that may be '78 instead:confused: ...'79 might have been Battlestar Galactica:happy: ...no, no please don't beat me up!!!

kool-aid killer
04-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I was born in March of 1983 so i missed all theatrical releases but i made up for it by going to see all 3 special editions when they were released. It was awesome to finally see the three on the big screen as opposed to my 17 inch tv.

DarthChuckMc
04-11-2003, 04:23 PM
I saw ANH opening day with my Grandma. I was 5 years old. I fell asleep after the escape from Mos Eisley, and woke up when R2 and 3PO where discovered in the Death Star control room. Dagnabbit.

I saw TESB opening day, too, again with my Grandma. I remember going to the theater, and there were people dressed like Jawas in the lobby. Vader was walking around handing out programs. Wish I still had that. :(

ROTJ I saw a week after opening. School was out for the summer. My sister, brother and I, would go see it almost everyday (no lie). We had a movie theater about 4 blocks from our house. It was a $1 theater, too. We would go around noon, pay for a ticket, and sit there through 3 showings. There was usually only 2-3 other people in the theater, so we had the run of the place. It was a really small theater, compaired to what we have today. It only had 2 screens. Only ROTJ and one other movie ran all summer (can't remember what it was). We probably ended up seeing it
100+ times.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-11-2003, 05:03 PM
I saw ANH opening week in May '77 with my Uncle, I was 5. I remember loving the cantina scenes, then I fell asleep, then I woke up in the middle of the deathstar battle. I asked my mom take me and my neighbor friend to go see it again that weekend during the day time. Saw ESB and ROTJ in the theatre too. I remember one of my neighbor's mom gave away that Han Solo got frozen. I was so angry at her for doing that. She was a mean one and I think she literally enjoyed wrecking young kid's dreams! :rolleyes:

Whatever, I enjoyed it anyway and she had it all wrong because she told us he got frozen in ice. What a dork! HAHA! :)

The 'Xir
04-11-2003, 11:41 PM
I would have been 4 years old in May '77, and I remember seeing the movie in theatres, but due to recent memory recall, I think I actually saw the rerelease in '78! Nevertheless I was quite aware and very much a Star Wars fan from the get-go!

r2dee2
04-12-2003, 01:02 PM
DarthChuckMc, sounds like you had a cool grandpa:D

I'd been a big science fiction fan for many years, so when I saw the advert in the paper for this new Star Wars film, I was eager to see it. I mentioned it to my hubby and he was fine with it, but not convinced until his carpool buddies raved about it. We were both hooked by the opening scene when the ships just kept going and going.

We were in England for ESB and ROJ, so saw those in the British theaters, whilst enjoying sugared popcorn:D

good shot jansen
04-12-2003, 02:43 PM
when star wars 1st came out, i had zero desire to go see it.

sci-fi wasn't my thing, and it was sooo popular back in the summer of 77. being a 17 year old punker, who absolutely detested anything popular, i chose not to waste my time with it :eek:. some time in the winter of 78, on a freezing cold snowy night, a friend of mine (she had also no desire to see sw), and i, had nothing of particular interest to do that night, it was a monday night, and all the clubs were closed, so with nothing else to do, we wondered down to the astor theater in times square, which had been showing star wars continually since it had opened 8 months before.

we decided, what the heck, and headed on in to see this pop deluxe icon.

when the star destroyer flew over the top of the screen, i was amazed. nothing like that had ever been shown before in a movie. the detail was incredible, and the ship just kept on going and going and going................

i can't recall what my reaction was to the movie as a whole, but that opening scene was well worth the price of admission.

i was living in la when esb came out. the whole theater let out a gasp when vader revealed his true self to luke. that moment was almost as strong as the opening scene from anh.

by the time rotj, came out, i had already once again lost any interest in star wars, and never saw that movie in the theaters.

my current love for the epic, as well as the galoob toys i now collect, came from my becoming a parent, and sharing the star wars universe with both my children.

enjoying star wars as a "grown up" thru the eyes of my son and daughter has had far more of an impact on me, than when the film s 1st came out in my later teen years.

np: my back pages - bob dylan "i was so much older then, you know i'm younger than that now":o

notafinga
04-13-2003, 01:26 PM
I was 5 years old for ANH. My pappy took me and we were both hooked. 3 films later I was a card collecting, figure hording monstorosity who would not rest even after seeing the films a thousand times over.

The plight of an undercover nerd, I tell you...

Deoxyribonucleic
04-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by notafinga
I was a card collecting, figure hording monstorosity

You outta put that in your sig line. That's a classic!!!

Hilarious...Hilarious! Paints a good mental picture too!

:D

notafinga
04-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
You outta put that in your sig line. That's a classic!!!

done. ;) thanks for the suggestion...

i now have an identity:)

Sentinel18725
04-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Three years old in 1977. I especially remember seeing Empire and Return. I could even tell you what theater and what it was like to stand in line. Ahhhh....the good old days.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by notafinga
done. ;) thanks for the suggestion...

i now have an identity:)

BOOOOO YAAAAAAAAAAA!

Looks great Notafinga! I shall now be cracking up everytime I see one of your posts!!! Woohooo :D

Old Fossil
04-14-2003, 09:57 AM
As a six-year-old who had but recently been scared out of my wits upon seeing "Jaws" -- parents couldn't find me a sitter that night, I guess -- I had NO desire to see ANH, especially after seeing Vader glaring down from movie posters all over the place. But they took me, anyway, and I was enthralled, and have been ever since. I loved the droids, and Threepio still cracks me up ("Listen to them, they're DYING, Artoo...").

By the time ESB rolled around, we had moved from the 'burbs of Houston to the Big Woods in Mississippi. I was so excited when I found out there was going to be ANOTHER Star Wars movie, but hardly any of the kids in my 4th-grade class seemed to care. I realize now that I was the only normal one among them...LOL.

RussUAE
04-14-2003, 10:30 AM
I was 27 days old when Star Wars was released.

I don't even remember the first time I saw it (though prob was about 4 years old) - I never remember a time before I saw it or when I was not a fan.

RooJay
04-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Sentinel18725
Three years old in 1977. I especially remember seeing Empire and Return. I could even tell you what theater and what it was like to stand in line. Ahhhh....the good old days.

You too, huh?
I was even able to describe, in great detail, the store next to the theater that I stood in front of while waiting in line. My aunt was later able to confirm my memories by verifying those descriptions for me: The front window was covered with newspaper, and in the gap between the pages I was able to make out lots of bookshelves and magazine racks. Turns out it was an adult bookstore; hence, the newspaper covered front window!:D

Lobito
04-17-2003, 02:32 PM
3 Years old and i still remember getting in the theatre to watch the film...was a very long time ago indeed...

mrmiller
04-17-2003, 02:53 PM
I saw it in the theater opening weekend at the ripe old age of 5. Funny thing is, what I remember most is sticking around with my Dad to see it a second time. To this day it's the only movie I've seen back to back at the theater. (I did see Episode 1 twice in 1 day if you count midnight and then 5 p.m.).

=MATT=

bobafrett
04-17-2003, 03:00 PM
I do remember going to see "the Empire strikes back" at a theatre only to find that they didn't have air condioning. The ticket person told me that I could go in and see if it was too hot, and if I could stand it, to come back and buy a ticket. I went in, sat down, and never went back to pay. I figured I had already seen it about 20 times, what would it hurt if I saw it once for free. BTW, it was pretty hot in the theatre that day. By the time they got to the Dagobah scene, the theatre was smelling like a sweaty swamp!

El Chuxter
10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Slicker's Mom was around when SW originally came out, and even went to the drive-in while it was playing. She spent the entire two hours in the back seat of the car, though, while the members of the local high school football team and a guy who makes balloon animals stopped by to visit.

stillakid
10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Slicker's Mom was around when SW originally came out, and even went to the drive-in while it was playing. She spent the entire two hours in the back seat of the car, though, while the members of the local high school football team and a guy who makes balloon animals stopped by to visit.

So Slicker is an amalgam, or a "potpourri" if you will, of DNA from High School football players and circus rejects? :squareeye

JEDIpartner
10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
I was going to be 10 at the end of August the summer if came out. I think we got the movie in our area at the beginning of July.

Rogue II
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
So Slicker is an amalgam, or a "potpourri" if you will, of DNA from High School football players and circus rejects? :squareeye

Yes. Essentially, he was a proto-type for Serpentor. Unfortunatly for Slicker, none of those high school football players were any good, so his football career never took off.

El Chuxter
10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I thought Slicker was really adopted, and his birth mother was a June Cleaver-esque housewife who got knocked up as a kid after watching too many episodes of He-Man? :confused:

pbarnard
10-20-2006, 02:51 PM
I thought Slicker was really adopted, and his birth mother was a June Cleaver-esque housewife who got knocked up as a kid after watching too many episodes of He-Man? :confused:

How? Or was it He-Man's special friends that he loved too?

Anyways, barely alive (6 months old in august) and I can remember my grandfather leaving with me in tears to ESB. Saw ROTJ like 3 or 4 times in 83 in Iowa (home), Northern Michigan (paternal grandparents), Detroit (maternal grandparents) .

CaptainSolo1138
10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I was around for ESB and RotJ, the latter I remember seeing at the theater with my brother and uncle.

As for Slicker's mom, I've gotta go with the group on this one. I'm sure she heard more of than she saw. And by "heard" I mean the lines, "Did you hear that?" and "If any of my circuits or gears will help I'll gladly donate them!". The middle bit was kind of a blur.

RooJay
10-21-2006, 09:22 PM
How? Or was it He-Man's special friends that he loved too?

Anyways, barely alive (6 months old in august) and I can remember my grandfather leaving with me in tears to ESB. Saw ROTJ like 3 or 4 times in 83 in Iowa (home), Northern Michigan (paternal grandparents), Detroit (maternal grandparents) .

Wait a minute - you remember being six months old?!:confused:

2-1B
10-21-2006, 09:38 PM
I saw ESB during the re-release of '82 when I was around 4 years old and then I saw ROTJ the next year.

I don't remember much about seeing them in the theater, just little snippets, but I do remember thinking Anakin's Spirit in ROTJ looked way too old and I hoped they would someday correct that.

The thing I remember more than seeing SW 2 and 3 in the theater is watching the Ewoks movies on the tube as well as From Star Wars to Jedi. FSWTJ always held my attention, I loved the behind the scenes look. I still do. :)

pbarnard
10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Wait a minute - you remember being six months old?!:confused:

Was referring to ESB. My actually earliest memory is of being 2.5 or so and going to Mass in the snow.

sith_killer_99
10-23-2006, 03:28 AM
It's nice re-visiting this old thread.

Yes, I was 3 years old when I saw Star Wars in the theater. I remember it well.

BTW, my daughter was 3 when I took her to see ROTS in the theater. The circle is now complete!:twisted:

And yes, she loves Star Wars, especialy C-3PO and R2-D2. At three she could name all the main characters! Though, as much as she loves the movies, she freaked out when we went to CIII, seeing Stormtroopers and even Darth Vader up close kinda scared the poo-poo out of her.:(

Turbowars
10-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I was 2 when ANH was in theaters so I didn't see that one or ESB. However I did see ROTJ 2 times at a UA theater that isn't there anymore. Kind of sad. I saw ANH for the 1st time on ON-TV (anyone remember the ON-TV Box? It was the size of a shoe box and had one round knob that you would turn on and off and that was it) at me grandparents house. I don't remember when that was, but I do remember R2 and 3PO in the desert. Saw the Special Editions in the theater and remember being kind of board with ANH. Loved 5 and 6 though.

Kidhuman
10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I clearly recall seeing all 3 in theaters and then going toy shopping afterwards.

LusiferSam
10-24-2006, 12:44 AM
I was born after '77 so I didn't see SW in the first go around but at one of it's post ESB re-releases. To be honest it was the first movie I remember seeing, but second one my parents took me to. I'm not sure I didn't ESB in theaters. You'd think if I was old enough to see SW I would have been old enough for ESB. And I clearly remember going to ROTJ. I saw ROTJ before seeing ESB, but I knew the story because of a story book I had and friends.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
How have I missed posting in this thread before?

I did not see SW in '77 (even though I was alive at the time), but I saw it at a drive-in (minus the Slicker's mom jokes :D). I saw ESB 4 times (still among the most-viewed-in-the-theater films for me), and saw ROJ on opening night.