PDA

View Full Version : Toyfare editor defends Jar Jar at TF.N

bigbarada
08-23-2002, 03:11 PM
I don't usually go to theforce.net but my brother pointed this out to me. Very interesting especially coming from Toyfare, a magazine I had given up on a long time ago.

http://www.theforce.net/episode1/index.html#17888

Beast
08-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the info BigB. I never usually go there either, because just like Rebelscum they take forever to load. Nice to see someone else defending Jar Jar, and saying pretty much what those of us that liked him from the beginning have been saying. I'm gonna post the story here though, if thats ok. For others like myself that don't like going to that slow site. Or just like reading things here, instead of opening another window. :)

Toyfare Editor Defends JarJar
Thu, Aug 22, 02 04:05:24 PM EDT

Rogue Trader and Super Nation Jock chime in:

One of the editors at TOYFARE magazine, at wizardworld.com (Magazines) has come to the defense of Jar Jar. And includes a scathing attack on Jar Jar's detractors.

"Before spewing your pre-programmed, media-instigated derisive response, pay attention: Never before has one being been so unjustly villified by so many. It seems that whenever someone like Jar Jar comes on the scene, untainted by the black bile that so many have in place of a soul these days, they get attacked for being 'lame.'

Like Barney the Dinosaur (or Jesus), Jar Jar just wanted people to get along, and dark-hearted legions of would-be hipsters immediately emerged to project their own bizzare prejudices onto him and tell the rest of the world how uncool he was. They tried to convince us that anybody who wasn't as bitter and dead inside as they were was somehow dumb. Well, no thanks, you soulless monsters.

Poor, naive Jar Jar got blamed for the imagined 'failure' of The Phantom Menace, a good movie that will one day get the credit it deserves as a great Star Wars film - once it's not 'cool' to hate it anymore."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
08-23-2002, 03:26 PM
I must admit, the first time I saw TPM, I wasn't crazy about it and I found Jar Jar annoying. Over the past year or so, I've watched the movie a few more times (ok, more like 5 or 10). Anyway, I can actually enjoy the movie now. Granted, I don't like it as much as the OT, but I still like it.

I read Toyfare every month or 2. I think its pretty funny, plus, the price guide thing comes in handy when people have questions about price.:rolleyes:

bigbarada
08-23-2002, 03:32 PM
Go ahead Jar Jar, I would've done the same but I just figured I had the only slow connection around here.:)

I liked Jar Jar long before I saw the movie, mainly from what I had read about him in the novelization. Everybody hated him in the novel (except Anakin) so I kind of felt sorry for him. When the movie premiered I was very surprised by the amount of negativity regarding the character. From the idiotic claims of racism to the uneducated drivel that you can still read on these forums.

Besides, both of my nephews love Jar Jar more than anything so how could I hate him?

Beast
08-23-2002, 03:43 PM
I don't think it's really your connection, BigB. Both Rebelscum and The Force have very slow websites. I'm not sure if it's all the graphics, or if they have slow servers or what. It has to be somthing on their ends, since both sites are like that. :)

I liked him from the beginning as well. I agree with you on the novelization, everyone was alot meaner to him in that one. But it did give more insight on why Qui-Gon thought he was necissary.

The negativity suprised me as well. Star Wars is supposed to be a realistic type of film, atleast charecter wise. So Jar Jar isn't a genius, why should he be. I think he's a great new charecter, and I'm glad Lucas is continuing his story arc in the films.

I wish he wouldn't have gotten paniced by the bad press that Jar Jar receieved and cut the charecter's role way back for E2. But it's still nice to see that he's grown up some, and that he still has a role to play in the events to come. Hopefully he gets to make up for his mistake in giving Palpy emergancy powers in E2.

I actually seriously think that Lucas made him somewhat unlikeable to the old school fans for a reason. So that they will dislike him in the first, feel sorry for him in the second, and if the third one plays out like I still think it will, be sad and sorry that they disliked the charecter once his storyline plays out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-23-2002, 03:49 PM
I'm opening the fire hydrants now. If I presoak this thread it might not ignite. Now I'm backing away slowly so as not to touch anything and inadvertently ignite it by friction or other means such as a acasual I hate jar Jar and the whole TPM experience type comment, or a casual and flippant potato jibe.
Now I'm standiing at a safe distance you may continue..... :rolleyes:

2-1B
08-24-2002, 12:10 AM
That's weird, TF.N loads in a jiffy for me. But Rebelscum does take awhile.

Jar Jar's a good egg, but I'm glad they scaled him back for AOTC. :) I really love him up until the Battle for Naboo, I think he's too much slapstick in those scenes.
On the whole, I think he's cool. :cool:

JediTricks
08-24-2002, 02:55 AM
Hmm, no butt, poop, or fart jokes? I've come to depend on ToyFare for that sort of thing over the years! :D

I honestly don't agree at all with this article, I think just as he accuses others of making a snap-judgement about Jar Jar, he is making snap-judgements of Jar Jar's detractors and their reasons.

TheFrankEinstein
08-24-2002, 03:23 AM
I hate to break it to you guys, but I think that was meant as sort of an ironic ha ha. Especially if it was penned by Tom Root (who's known for that sort of thing, and does hate Jar Jar muchly). I mean, he compared Jar Jar Binks's persecution to that of Jesus Christ's. I think that should tip you off right there :)

Obi-Don
08-24-2002, 03:46 AM
I know in the past I have stated I didn't like JarJar and wasn't that crazy about the movie. I to have been watching the movie more since it came out and I find myself liking it more and more. I like the character of JarJar ok and I do wish GL would have given him a better role. Maybe in the next one we will see something different from JarJar. If not ,thats ok to. JarJar is part of Star Wars and I think I like him there.

Eternal Padawan
08-24-2002, 08:17 AM
I remember hearing a wav file of Jar Jar in the Bongo months before the movie came out and shuddered. But when I saw the movie, I liked him, despite what the "media" was telling me. :rolleyes:

Originally in the Article
"Before spewing your pre-programmed, media-instigated derisive response, pay attention: Never before has one being been so unjustly villified by so many.

Welllll, that's happened once before------>:Pirate:

And a pre-emptive note before it gets out of hand. Keep Episode III Spoilers in their respective sections. Nobody did anything specifically, but JJB said "continuing his story arc" and it's only a short hop from there to delving into specifics. Myself and others don't want to know ANYTHING about III so we'd appreciate not hearing about inadvertantly from those of you who are excited about spoiler hunting over the next two years! Good Luck with that!

Let me just restate that I liked Jar Jar in the movie. :)

ROLLO!

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
I hate to break it to you guys, but I think that was meant as sort of an ironic ha ha. Especially if it was penned by Tom Root (who's known for that sort of thing, and does hate Jar Jar muchly). I mean, he compared Jar Jar Binks's persecution to that of Jesus Christ's. I think that should tip you off right there :)

I didn't really care for the Jesus comparison, but it was kind of just thrown in there and wasn't really a focus of the article. I think that might have been mentioned because of that "Jar Jar's Walking Papers" fan film. Who knows what the author was thinking about on that one? But just because I disagree with him on one point doesn't negate the entire argument.

Given Toyfare's history, this could be some sort of practical joke to fool the Jar Jar fans out there; but I doubt it. Even so, I agree with his points, because I feel the exact same way about most of the militant Jar Jar haters (not the people who simply don't like him, but the ones who log onto message boards with names like "die-jarjar-die," for example). Those people need to get a grip.

Starfig873
08-25-2002, 10:01 AM
I loves ToyFare. Such a wonderful magazine, it's kept me laughing every month.
I remember reading that in the magazine. Can't quite remember which issue. And I think it's a "serious" comment...:)

TylerD
08-26-2002, 10:46 PM
You're not the only one who didn't like the "supposedly funny" reference to Jesus, BigB.....

Anyway, I like Jar Jar. I think the media just needed something bad to say about Episode I, so they picked Jar Jar as a focal point for their bad comments. I loved his antics in the EPI, and his role in EPII. Heck, I have been dressing as Jar Jar for the last three Halloweens! LOL

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-27-2002, 06:15 AM
That's in #61 of ToyFare. The article also has a picture of a Jar Jar head on Neo's body, beating up other characters from the Matrix.
Jar Jar is saying, "Who else wants to @#%* with Jar-Jar?!" One dude on the ground says, "Just wanted your signature...for our... kids..."

Flip a few page to the Twisted ToyFre Theatre, Jar Jar gets pied.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2002, 01:47 PM
i think this editorial from TF.N is very narrow-minded. Yes there are plenty of people that criticize the character itself, but it isn't a real person. I've never gotten the vibe that people (other than the ones who are seeing somekind of racial stereotype in JJB) hate JJ for his "personal" morals. It's been my experience that he is so despised for being a really awkward character in a franchise that just doesn't have that in its history. R2, C3PO, and Chewie fit in well with the story and didn't detract from it. Not even Yoda in ESB before he reveals his true self is out of place. Yet JJ sticks out like a sore thumb.

The same thing would happen if you suddenly stuck any national or religious hero in the movie like Abe Lincoln or Buddha. They just wouldn't fit. No one would criticize them for their character, just that they wouldn't fit in that context like Jar Jar.

thespar
08-27-2002, 03:07 PM
this migth have been some of the same things send about anthor group of the star wars famliy namely the ewoks. i read that some people did not care for these little balls of fur. in a few years every one might look back at this and see how important jjb was to the whole sw story.

Lord Tenebrous
08-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Jar Jar Binks is a social outcast. He's not supposed to be liked at the beginning, but he is meant to be appreciated by the end, that even the most bizarre and insecure creatures in the galaxy can have a profound impact.

So whether you love or hate the character, you're missing out on half the experience. Set your preferences to neutral, and you'll understand his purpose. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Jar Jar Binks is a social outcast. He's not supposed to be liked at the beginning, but he is meant to be appreciated by the end, that even the most bizarre and insecure creatures in the galaxy can have a profound impact.

So whether you love or hate the character, you're missing out on half the experience. Set your preferences to neutral, and you'll understand his purpose. :)

LT, I realize he has a purpose in the EP1 and EP2 storylines. That's very obvious. It's that he is so friggin' annoying and so out of place that irks me. Not enough to not watch EP1 at all, but enough for me to wonder what jag GLu was on when he wrote him into the script. GLu could have accomplished the same thing by making the character at least tolerable and more mellow. Heck, I'd even like it better if JJ was replaced by Tommy Chong as an alien hippy spreading around his flower power crap instead of the whining dialogue.

OK, maybe I was kidding on the last part but you get my drift. ;)

Darth Nihilus
08-28-2002, 12:51 PM
If Jar Jar's character hadn't been turned into a slapstick joke then I wouldn't have been bothered so much. But that everything about him was derived from comic devices really ticked me off and then to top it off nearly every scene he was in was ruined with some unnecessary sight gags. I've watched TPM at least a score of times and it gets worse every time.

And I don't 'blame' Jar Jar for the 'imagined failure' of TPM, but he is indicative of what is wrong with the film. As for the author's claim, TPM a great movie is not.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
If Jar Jar's character hadn't been turned into a slapstick joke then I wouldn't have been bothered so much. But that everything about him was derived from comic devices really ticked me off and then to top it off nearly every scene he was in was ruined with some unnecessary sight gags. I've watched TPM at least a score of times and it gets worse every time.

And I don't 'blame' Jar Jar for the 'imagined failure' of TPM, but he is indicative of what is wrong with the film. As for the author's claim, TPM a great movie is not.

Thanks for that post DN. That's more or less what I was thinking. JJ's performance was just painful for me the first time I saw EP1.

Is it just me or is EP1 an outstanding film up to the part where JJB shows up? That's when it went downhill for me. I'm not trashing the whole film just that JJB does ruin a lot of it for me.

bigbarada
08-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Is it just me or is EP1 an outstanding film up to the part where JJB shows up? That's when it went downhill for me. I'm not trashing the whole film just that JJB does ruin a lot of it for me.

This is just my opinion, but I felt exactly the opposite. The first part of the film I could only sit and think to myself "My god, this is horrible! What went wrong?" Then JarJar showed up and at least I had someone interesting to watch as all the other characters watched events with a sort of passive indifference ("I was not **yawwwwn** elected to watch my people suff..*yaaaaaawwwwwnnnn* -oh, excuse me!- suffer and die while we discuss this invasion in a committee."). It was Jar Jar and Anakin that kept me interested in the film upon my first viewing. It just goes to prove the old saying, "different strokes for different folks.":)

JediTricks
08-29-2002, 03:36 PM
I thought the film had "rough spots" from the very first line, but JJB was the point where it became a real eye-roller. The Republic Cruiser's captain had a strange voice, there was the accents of the trade fed, there was that "are you brain dead" line. Then the action picked up and it was good for me again until JJB had to be rescued from a machine he should have been able to see/hear quite a distance away... if they woodland creatures can sense it and run, why not the Binks?

Like Nihilus, I don't think it was JJ's fault that the film didn't work, the character was just another part of the puzzle as to that reason.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-30-2002, 09:38 AM
What made the first 10-15 minutes enjoyable for me were the action scenes between OB1 and QGJ. It was great to see to Jedi in their prime kick some booty. Plus it was a nice little tidbit that GLu threw in showing the Jedi almost getting in and thrwarting the Trade Federation plan before it really got into motion.

I didn't mind the funky accents, JT, except for the droidtalk. The 80's synthesizer sound was really lame, IMO, but not bad enough to make me hate those moments in the movie. It was when they met up with JJB and his goofiness that my eyes were rolling. Up to that point I thought those several minutes in TPM rivaled any in the OT.

Darth Nihilus
08-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
, there was that "are you brain dead" line.

The colloquialisms were another sore point for me: "brain dead?", "How wude", Yousa in a big doodoo..." just had no place in the Star Wars vocabulary. It makes me wince whenever I watch the movie.

Also, George's attempts at creating 'political intrigue' were clumsy and not really well thought out. Primarily I'm referring to the deposing of Chancellor Valorum but the other political story devices used were just as poor.

I honestly feel that if this wasn't a Star Wars film I would never bother with it at all it is so bad.